• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDT going all in on twitter #FucKonami

How anyone can defend a company that screws over their customers and employees is beyond me. Yes, they are 'technically' in the right but that doesn't excuse them being a bunch of cunts.

Like what I said in the other thread, pour your greasy heart out, Del Toro.

Jonnax

Didn't Konami make back their money in the first couple of days MGS5 was out?

So reportedly from an article in Nikkei the budget was $80 million+. That means profit as percentage of money spent isn't gonna be all that great. Compared to a mobile game that they spent less than a million on and made back multiple times the money.

There's an element of risk in a large project that needs to be weighed with the possible gain.
And a project needs to aim to deliver greater value than just leaving the money in the bank.

Here's Konami's Fiscal year end presentation April 2015 to March 2016:
https://www.konami.com/ir/en/ir-data/meeting/2016/en0510_7y9x35.pdf
CDfnIYZ.png

And here's it for 6 months from April 2015 ending September 2015:
https://www.konami.com/ir/en/ir-data/meeting/2015/1030_355711.pdf
UbQKt2F.png

It's funny how MGS is the second bullet point there.
Mobile game “JIKKYOU PAWAFURU PUROYAKYU” surpasses 22 million downloads and takes the No.1
position on the App Store gross ranking in March for the first time.

Probably cost them nothing to make in comparison to MGS.

No budgetary reason justifies that treatment and sabotaging of the game, they impacted it's potential sales by shipping an incomplete game, they also slapped gamers in the face by thinking this type of practice is acceptable.

Slapped them in the face? The game reviewed incredibly well despite it.
How much better would it have done otherwise with a few more million spent on it?

'Gamers' just need to accept that this:
Is more valuable than AAA games.
Activision bought King for $5.9 Billion. That's $5900 million. Keep that in mind.

That pachinko machine is wireless without the brand power of mgs. And lol if you think it requires 1 programmer and designer. Nothing is ever that easy.

I'm exaggerating. But compared to the team size for MGS there's an order of magnitude difference.

Oh Jesus please stop. As much as I like Silent Hill, Konami have all the rights to do whatever they want with their IPs. If they want to bail out the AAA business, so be it. It's actually understandable, given the direction the industry has taken.
Shall we throw more #fuckthis #fuckthat around for every canceled game? Where's #FuckMicrosoft for Fable or #FuckRockstar for Agent? What about #FuckSony for EightDays? Come on, get over it. The real problem here is the AAA industry itself.

Nailed it. Don't support stuff you don't like. Acting like a total asshat on the internet doesn't change the past. GDT shouldn't be acting like a 15 year old on the internet. As a grown man and role model, he shouldn't be putting this out there like this. We can close up shop here, we are done.

Didn't Konami make back their money in the first couple of days MGS5 was out?

Just because a company makes a profit doesn't necessarily mean they should continue on that path. An extreme example: why invest in the thing with a 30-40% return and is really risky and unpredictable when you can invest in the thing with a 100-200% borderline-guaranteed return?

Sami+

Are there seriously a bunch of Konami Stans in here after these dudes didn't allow Kojima to travel to receive an award for his own damn game? You kidding me?

Are there seriously a bunch of Konami Stans in here after these dudes didn't allow Kojima to travel to receive an award for his own damn game? You kidding me?

Honestly no. Who gives a fuck. Your not Kojima, I am not Kojima. We were not impacted directly, other than buying a shitty game.

I am not saying it wasn't a messed up situation at Konami. But like working anywhere you run into messed up situations. Why are some people so heavily invested in something they were not a part of?

Well maybe Kojima shouldn't have crippled the company with ludicrous budgets for his weird wannabe-hollywood projects. The Fuck Konami bandwagon (probably coming mostly from Kojima fanboys rather than old Konami fans anyway) has gotten way out of control. God forbid a company wants to avoid bankruptcy by leaving a non-profital branch. It sucked for the lost IPs, but that's just reality and we already saw this coming at the beginning of the decade.

Konami clearly didn't. Otherwise they wouldn't have been so stupid as to waste a huge amount of money creating a demo for a game they were never going to make.

Honestly no. Who gives a fuck. Your not Kojima, I am not Kojima. We were not impacted directly, other than buying a shitty game.

I am not saying it wasn't a messed up situation at Konami. But like working anywhere you run into messed up situations. Why are some people so heavily invested in something they were not a part of?
Because some of us really liked KojiPro, Metal Gear and Silent Hill. Is it that hard to understand?

Most human beings are capable of empathy

Your correlation between the two actions is misguided. Liking a game and company are two different things.

What do you think changes by all this?
Nothing, but that doesn't mean I have to stop shouting my disdain for Konami.

The difference for me is that I don't give a fuck about the business. The art and the people making it is all that matters.

There are things that matter to some people. Don't be a jerk about it. If you don't think this is important then pack it up and go somewhere else. Don't need to make others feel bad.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to make anybody feel bad or trying to attack them. From my original statement my problem is with GDT and his actions. As I didn't think it was appropriate. There are other ways to make an impact.

Dremark

Banned
It's funny how MGS is the second bullet point there.
Mobile game “JIKKYOU PAWAFURU PUROYAKYU” surpasses 22 million downloads and takes the No.1
position on the App Store gross ranking in March for the first time.

Probably cost them nothing to make in comparison to MGS.

So what exactly was the benefit of locking him away and sabotaging the game, causing a PR nightmare and such?

I understand how businesses work and that smaller mobile games can have higher profits with lower costs, however that doesn't really justify their actions here. If they wanted to be risk averse and end the series I could see how that would be good business, giving him a hard deadline makes sense too. Intentionally causing problems for the project really isn't good business no matter how you want to look at it.

Way more important things to be empathetic about.

Fortunately empathy is not something that you have in limited supply. "Whoops, I felt bad about an artist I care about getting treated like garbage by his shitty company, I guess I can't be empathetic towards the homeless now!"

ugly

Del Toro and Kojima is such a badass combo. It already shows signs of being a strong relationship. Its nice to ponder their pairing of mutual respect that crosses cultural bounds. Imagine if they buddied up with Hideaki Anno, too... They would be the flame-bearers of rad awesome shit for years to come

hampig

Fortunately empathy is not something that you have in limited supply. "Whoops, I felt bad about an artist I care about getting treated like garbage by his shitty company, I guess I can't be empathetic towards the homeless now!"

Exactly. Even regardless of this, you can't control what people care about, and you can't care about or be involved in everything that matters. There's enough people in the world that we don't all need to care about the same things though. It's fine to not always be involved. That's life.

Ratrat

Oh right, all these reports about the torture chamber Konami, which barely had any serious sources backing it up (if any at all).
Why do you think Otsuka Akio and Donna Burke had to plead to fans to support the game after the Kojima news broke? Why wasn't Kojima allowed to accept awards last year? We keep hearing more shit about Konami and while Kojima has remained silent, a bunch of people envolved in MGSV have shown their support for him. We have yet to hear anything remotely damning regarding the way he was doing things, except for angry fans who cant accept what MGSV was doing.

People are being blindly sympathetic towards Konami based on speculation.

Cmagus

As great aa Death Stranding looks I wish they could have kept working on P.T under a new name and some design changes.

N° 2048

As great aa Death Stranding looks I wish they could have kept working on P.T under a new name and some design changes.

I would love that too but it must be very hard working on something that has that type of drama/history to it. I can imagine it has some type of impact but on the other hand it could serve as motivation.

Regardless, we're getting something damn good in a few years.

Shock32

I do, too. I've watched that Death Stranding trailer about a dozen times since last night. I'm glad something positive is being created since the whole PT/SH debacle.

I've been watching it once per hour looking for little details and such. Who knows how silent hills would have turned out but I like the direction they are going now.

Top Bottom