• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 PC will NOT have gamepad support

mxgt

Banned
I can't believe some people are calling no gamepad support unexceptable. I played Mass Effect 1 and 2 perfectly on the keyboard. And anyway, there are ways of mapping the keys on to a gamepad, programs such as Xpadder do a great job of doing this, also, it's free.

How is not unacceptable? any PC release worth a damn nowadays has native 360 controller support.

The fact that the game plays well with M/KB is completely irrelevant.

Lothars

no big deal, It would be nice to have the option but I don't think it's inexcusable or whatever not every game needs gamepad support.

I can't believe some people are calling no gamepad support unexceptable. I played Mass Effect 1 and 2 perfectly on the keyboard. And anyway, there are ways of mapping the keys on to a gamepad, programs such as Xpadder do a great job of doing this, also, it's free.

Xpadder doesn't tackle all the commands effectively like native support would. I know, I've used it. Not to mention the GUI for squad powers is absent in ME2 which limits function. Why is having an option that most games on PC support acceptably absent for Bioware games?

mxgt

Banned
not every game needs gamepad support.

With the amount of people that play PC games from their couch on a HDTV - yes they do.

If Indie devs can do it, Bioware can. There is no argument against it not being there and it kind of pisses me off that people see this is a non issue.

Peterthumpa

FUCK THIS SHIT.

This is freakin' unbelievable. I mean, I think that they should spend more hours to take the gamepad support out than actually replicating the code for it from the 360 version.

Absolutely disgusting.

Midou

Why is having an option that most games on PC support acceptably absent for Bioware games?

It's probably because Bioware have not had much experience with PC gaming in the past and just aren't used to working with it.

Oh wait.

I would kind of love to see what BG2-era Bioware thinks of current Bioware.

Nabs

no big deal, It would be nice to have the option but I don't think it's inexcusable or whatever not every game needs gamepad support.

True, but if you're going to force us to use Spacebar for everything, you might as well give us controller support. I really hate roll.

Orayn

With the amount of people that play PC games from their couch on a HDTV - yes they do.

If Indie devs can do it, Bioware can. There is no argument against it not being there and it kind of pisses me off that people see this is a non issue.

It's hard being a now-shitty developer who's going after CoD's audience. It's hard and no one understands. :(

eh, i'd argue the "natural controll scheme" of bioware games isn't a gamepad. at least when i compare dragon age controlls and mass effect controlls on kb/m and on controller they play very differently.

it can't be that difficult to implement both option though. its not like they dind't developp both

Mass Effect has always been a console franchise, ported to the PC. The controller is the natural control scheme and Bioware would have had to go out of their way to remove/block the controller scheme for the PC port.

It is a none issue for me, given that I play FPS/TPS on the PC when I can because it is fairly horrific on a controller. I can understand how some people could be mad I guess, but it is a none issue for me.

Lothars

It's hard being a now-shitty developer who's going after CoD's audience. It's hard and no one understands. :(
lol at shitty developer smh at those posts.

Mass Effect has always been a console franchise, ported to the PC. The controller is the natural control scheme and Bioware would have had to go out of their way to remove/block the controller scheme for the PC port.
It sounds like it was reasonable to get Mass Effect 2 to run with a controller, I think it's a bigger issue if they did encrypt the ini's to block users from doing things with the ini including editting in controller support.

Yes, they are an alternative but not wholly ideal for several reasons:

1. The game will still refer to the keyboard/mouse controls, which leads to some initial confusion before you learn what does what.

2. Movement will still be digital since it is mapped to the keys; there's none of the finesse you get from analogue movement.

3. The game would still lack the 360/PS3's radial menu for selecting weapons/abilities as it is used because there aren't enough buttons on a controller!

But, honestly, why should we have to mess around like that when the developers could just as easily support it themselves? Almost every other multiformat PC game I've played at least supports the controller even if they don't always show the appropriate button icons.

There's no excuse other than ignorance IMO. What's wrong with offering more choice of control schemes? It's 2012 now not 1998.

Jtrizzy

It really sucks for people like me, who have no experience using a keyboard to navigate 3D games. I considered trying to master it for BF3, but I just want to play and enjoy my games. I've been gaming for about 25 years now, and learning a new control method is something I'm not up for.

Rtas

This deserves its own thread. And no, it's not a joke. A multiplatform game is released for PC, in 2012, by one of the biggest publishers in the industry, in one of the biggest franchises in gaming, WITHOUT GAMEPAD SUPPORT. This is so hideously atrocious that I can't even comprehend how they're thinking. There are many PC gamers who, like me, prefer gamepads for various reasons (ergonomics, already working with a computer 8 hours/day etc) and it has become standard for all multiplatform games to support at least Xinput (360 controller). EA apparently don't care. Personally, I'll be cancelling my pre-order immediately, and I urge you to do the same.

*Cough* use x-padder *Cough*

Lol at people who think this isn't a big deal. I'd love to see those same people's reactions if they removed M&K support.
Except you won't because it will never happen, just use X-padder to use your game pads, its what I use, and its allowed me to use an xbox 360 controller with every pc game I play

Doesn't matter to me. I prefer kb/mouse for mass effect. It's how I played Me1 and 2. Will say this though it's painstakingly obvious Bioware is fully assimilated in the EA culture.

I'd say congratulations are in order. :/

Edit:

Lol at people who think this isn't a big deal. I'd love to see those same people's reactions if they removed M&K support.

I don't think it's a big deal but that doesn't make it right. It's Bioware's job to attempt to appease all types of gamers and their are pc gamers who prefer a gamepad. I use one for games ala batman, witcher 2, super meatboy, etc,. This is just pure BiowarEA saying we don't give a crap...

LiK

Let's remember that one of the best PC games last year (The Witcher 2) had optional pad support. This isn't about master race vs consoles or whatever. It's just weird.

Even though the PC will be the version to get because of the technical advantages over the consoles, I will be sticking with the 360 version because of my saved games.

Lothars

That's not even a valid argument though, controller support is nice to have but it wasn't supported in the last two games and it's not supported in this one.

If users can still get it working with a controller by editting the ini's or whatever great, If they encrypted ini's to prevent changes to the game than that's a whole bigger issue.

Controller support isn't just for those people though as I play games sat at a 24" PC display but I still prefer my Xbox 360 controller as I find it (a) more comfortable to use; (b) it means I can play in a darkened room (as I would do to watch a movie) without having to see the keys I'm pressing; and (c) it offers me superior analogue movement as opposed to the horrid digital movement from the WASD keys.

But it doesn't matter what your reasons are for wanting controller support, it ultimately comes down to having a choice, something the Mass Effect games don't have but virtually every other multiformat PC game, including almost all EA's own, does. BioWare are just stuck in the 20th century IMO as far as control schemes go on the PC and apparently still believe that no owner would ever want to play their games with anything other than a mouse and keyboard. As this thread and others on their own forum prove though, that isn't the case.

Complistic

I wouldn't use it anyways, but it's absolutely pathetic that they didn't take the 15 minutes to get it working properly.

Rtas

*Cough* shouldn't have to *Cough*

Why shouldn't you? If you want to use a game pad, get the game on the Xbox or PS3, don't go whining because you cant use your game pad on a system it wasn't designed for. Game Devs dont have to do anything they don't want to, and apparently EA didn't want to put game pad support in, suck it up and use a keyboard or use x-padder.

jett

D-Member
I played ME1 and ME2 with only a keyb/m(for superior aiming), but moving around in 3D space definitely feels nice with a controller than with wasd. It's weird that they don't even support the option.

Just be glad that ME3 will probably run half decently on most rigs.

Trying to get kotor and ME1 to work was... great times.

F5 every few steps because the game tends to love crashing all the time.

mxgt

Banned
Why shouldn't you? If you want to use a game pad, get the game on the Xbox or PS3, don't go whining because you cant use your game pad on a system it wasn't designed for. Game Devs dont have to do anything they don't want to, and apparently EA didn't want to put game pad support in, suck it up and use a keyboard or use x-padder.

This is 2012, get with the times and stop defending this crap. Developers have been putting native 360 support in for years.

I'm not traditionally a KB+M guy, but I think that setup is extremely good for Mass Effect. I won't miss gamepad support which seemed much slower to use in ME2 and less accurate.

Surprised people took my comment that seriously.

Anyways. I have no issue with this, can understand why other people would.

For the person that mentioned that if we would feel the same if M/K was taken out. I have to say bad analogy. M/K is the default control scheme for PC, so it makes the same kind of sense like a 360 game that doesn't support the 360 controller. (kinect not counting)

Lime

Is that the kind of thing that can be changed in the ini files or modded? The holster/fov thing that is...My guess is that it would be extremely difficult to mod controller support in.

As I mentioned, the Coalesced.bin is encrypted as far I can gather.

Because...you can't holster a weapon? Huh.

It's not about holstering a weapon. It's about allowing a different form of play - controlling the camera, changing the FOV, immersing yourself in a world, etc.

I wouldn't use it anyways, but it's absolutely pathetic that they didn't take the 15 minutes to get it working properly.

Exactly. It would take less than a few hours for some intern to add controller support to a game that is a console port through and through in the first place.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It says something that they actually sabotaged ME2 for people trying to hack controller support back in. That takes more effort than leaving it in. Why would they do that?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Meanwhile Skyrim offers dual interfaces controller/kb+m and sold more than the entire Mass Effect franchise put together.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
There's a big difference between consoles which have one de-facto standard gamepad layout, and PC's which just have an HID socket for all kinds of controllers.

Its not that straightforward to ensure a uniform quality of usability, which is why they are electing not to claim it as a supported feature.

Top Bottom