• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

finally got to play. wow. what a game. sensory overload. spent about 15 minutes with it. time flew by. couldnt get in online. found default controls irksome wish there was full button layout customizing. will play again tomorrow.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
This demo is awesome! Classic twisted metal with a few new tricks. I love the new nuke mode. I'm also really digging the new talon. Its not overpowered as I thought it would be. Adds new interesting elements to the game. The soundtrack is badass too! You can load your own music if you want. Day 1 for me.

Btw, is it true that every new copy of the game comes with twisted metal black? !

Is it in hd?

demolitio

finally got to play. wow. what a game. sensory overload. spent about 15 minutes with it. time flew by. couldnt get in online. found default controls irksome wish there was full button layout customizing. will play again tomorrow.

Have you tried the racing controls? I found that a lot easier to deal with than the default since it's like other car games with the weapons on the face buttons being easy to handle.

Question...how do you use: -

1. Remote bomb
2. Ricochet
3. Sniper missile

And how do i change my lock-on to another target? I hate those Talons flying above. Can I shoot upwards with the machine gun (L2)?

Remote Bomb- Similar to the C4 explosives in other games. You throw the bomb (can be aimed up or down with right stick), after it sticks you can press the weapon button again to detonate it. If you leave it for a few seconds (5ish?) the blinking light turns for yellow to red. I'm not sure if they auto-detonate near an enemy, or what the exact damage is.

Ricochet- Can be launched forward or backwards. Explodes when hit by enemy (or you) causing decent damage (25hp). Holding the main weapon button "primes" it, and when launched it will show a large red cross over it, in this stage pressing the weapon button again will detonate it. It effectively makes it perform very similar to the napalm bombs. The best use I've found for them if reverse launching them into enemies when being chased, since they also throw the enemy up when exploding getting them off your tail easier.

Sniper- Press the fire button to start a timer, during which the passenger will scan the area for a target, as soon as he locks on you can press the fire button again to shoot. I believe you get more damage if he locks on to the driver instead of the passenger.

YoungHav

Banned
Great job on this. Game captures all that I loved about the series, going to buy. Nostalgic as fuck too, just the opening credit music reminded me of the PS1 days.

lol is this sarcasm?

What, do you expect us elite gamers to LEARN stuff, and actually sit through a TUTORIAL? Top class games like Uncharted and Batman don't have tutorials, do they? What? The first 2 levels, and every new weapon? I dunno what you're talking about, those are just helpful hints to make me even awesomer.

I don't think people realize that this is, and always has been, basically a fighting game in cars. Yeah it's a lot to take it, yeah you have to learn stuff, yeah there are tactics, yeah you will get worked before getting good. That's Twisted Metal.

The RC car is the Ricochet. You shoot it and and goes bouncing around in the level. In the older games, the longer its has been out the more damage it does. Not sure if that the case here.

Edgeward

The RC car is the Ricochet. You shoot it and and goes bouncing around in the level. In the older games, the longer its has been out the more damage it does. Not sure if that the case here.

I coulda sworn there is a bomb icon which in past games was the ricochet, I thought.

I love the demo - it definitely recaptures the feel of the first two Twisted Metal games (never played Black - but why don't the AI cars attack each other?

AwShucks

Getting the hang of the controls even more. Two DM games and finished 2nd in both. Still not as fluid at moving like I was in Black, but it is what it is. Luckily, the game is still freaking awesome and makes up for the differences in controls with bad assery

Tried the demo briefly yesterday, the game was so hectic and fast that I did not know what was going on. I will need to practice more before I can tell if I like it or not because currently I am not sure if I even like it.

I love the demo - it definitely recaptures the feel of the first two Twisted Metal games (never played Black - but why don't the AI cars attack each other?

This is my question too.

Played it, think the controls are a bit convoluted, otherwise pretty standard, and couldn't get online >:\

I walkaway a bit indifferent and wishing for a new Vigilante 8 (and that XBLA remake doesn't count!)

After dying almost immediately the first couple of times I played the offline challange, I am now in tune with my nostalgic TM2 memories and can say that I think that the difficulty in the demo is very finely tuned, it reminds me so much of how things worked in TM2, and to me, that is a great thing. You can die really quick, or you can fly around the track and demolish everyone if you are using all of your options, i.e. freeze, shield, quick turn, etc. at the right time.

Going back and playing the tutorial a second time worked great for improving my ability to do well in the game.

Valnen

Fuck, why can people get online but not me?

Got on after 2 tries earlier, now I can't at all. Just a luck thing. I was so happy to destroy everyone in my first match. Really easy to tell who hasn't played a Twisted Metal game before. In fact I think I might have been the only person who had some idea of how to play so I felt kind of bad :X.

RagnarokX

Sniper- Press the fire button to start a timer, during which the passenger will scan the area for a target, as soon as he locks on you can press the fire button again to shoot. I believe you get more damage if he locks on to the driver instead of the passenger.

It's based on how far the meter gets.
0 - 1/4 = body shot: 16 damage
1/4 - 1/2 = blowout: 34 damage
1/2 - 3/4 = gas tank: 60 damage
3/4 - full = headshot: instant kill

LevityNYC

Banned

They didn't attack each other in Black either.

BTW, what the fuck is with the yardsale servers this game has? "Matchmaking error" for an hour. Way to sell the game to people who want the online to have legs....

Switched over to twin stick controls...felt a lot more like Black to me. Love it so far other than the matchmaking BS.

anyone else having trouble with the sixaxis turbo overboost thing?

i can make it work like 1 out of 10 times and then only if i REALLY jerk the thing forwards :(

anyone else having trouble with the sixaxis turbo hop thing?

i can make it work like 1 out of 10 times and then only if i REALLY jerk the thing forwards :(

I believe it was someone earlier in this thread that mentioned that it seems to work better if you tilt the controller fast up towards yourself(torso), rather than pushing it forward, away from your torso. I was having the same issue before and now I've been able to pull it off almost everytime I try.

Zanosuke

Dammit, just woke up and the online is still not working here in Sweden! Come on Sony, Twisted Metal needs new fans and this is not helping!! I was able to play a few games last night and the gameplay is pure bliss! <3

Valnen

BTW, what the fuck is with the yardsale servers this game has? "Matchmaking error" for an hour. Way to sell the game to people who want the online to have legs....

Demos are never indicative of the final game, most demos have this warning and people fail to pay attention.

Dueck

Banned
I was pretty pessimistic how the game was going to turn out. I was fairly annoyed at a handful of gangs instead of unique characters, and I was bothered that Mr. Grimm went from a twisted POW cannibal to a generic thug (I don't mind that they made him black, to clarify, as that seems to be a really common, ignorant complaint). How is "oh no! My daddy died! Now I'm going to be a gang-banger!" as interesting as the stuff that happened to the Grimm in the TMB? Anyways... I'm getting off topic here.

After going through the demo and giving it a chance, I will say the gameplay hooked me, and I went and pre-paid for a copy. The controls take some getting used to, but aside from that it was fun. The graphics looked worse than I expected, but that was never a reason to play a Twisted Metal game. I had a really awesome moment. I was driving Darkside, and Crimson Fury and Reaper were driving towards each other in front of me from the left and right of the screen, respectively, guns blazing. I hit my special and killed them both right as they drove past one-another.

NHale

This is the first time I tried Twisted Metal and from what I played of challenge mode (couldn't connect to online) I'm really impressed. The game is so smooth (is it 60 or 30fps?) and plays like a charm. I'm still getting used to the controls and the mechanics of the game but I can't wait to get destroyed in the multiplayer. Will definitely buy it someday, now the question is if I wait to drop price or buy it day 1.

Demos are never indicative of the final game, most demos have this warning and people fail to pay attention.

People don't pay attention if it's a demo to a very popular game that they are eager to play and even in that case sometimes this kind of problems end up with people not buying the game (see Killzone 3 "beta" problems). With not so popular games like TM, they will just think the game is broken and delete the demo.

I'm not even surprised that Sony released the demo in this state because they are really inept and clearly don't want to sell their games. And it's not only the matchmaking problems but the decision of not forcing the tutorial right at the start of the demo. How many people got confused with the controls because they don't work like other games do? A 2 minute tutorial at least gives you an idea of how they work...

Foil

Finally beat the single player challenge. I basically held up on the second floor of the mansion in the corner. Collecting any weapons in that area like the homing missiles. The enemy cars will come up the staircase and you can hit them with a freeze then pound them down. I did this until only one or two remained which allowed me more freedom out on the open roads. The mansion also has a health pack in the pool right behind you, so it's a quick run to get health and back upstairs if you need it.

Finally beat the single player challenge. I basically held up on the second floor of the mansion in the corner. Collecting any weapons in that area like the homing missiles. The enemy cars will come up the staircase and you can hit them with a freeze then pound them down. I did this until only one or two remained which allowed me more freedom out on the open roads. The mansion also has a health pack in the pool right behind you, so it's a quick run to get health and back upstairs if you need it.

Nice. Didn't even know you can go on the second floor to that mansion. I also didn't know a Camper was a selectable vehicle.

kidding! Not gonna lie I used that technique too.

Endo Punk

Tried about a hundred times but no online for me, the actual retail release better not have these problems. Otherwise the demo was just as good as I hoped it would be, the AI was a bitch but after I got a good handle on the controls I did manage to beat the challenge with Vermin, Ambulance(Meat something) and Outlaw. Love that arcadey feel.

I just heard some terrible news!

TM delayed in EU and receiving content cuts

:| FU Jaffe! Ive got half a mind to not buy the game now.

Zanosuke

Content cut!? WTF!? This is horrible news! What will happen if I import the game from the US? Will I still be able to play on the european servers?

Tried about a hundred times but no online for me, the actual retail release better not have these problems. Otherwise the demo was just as good as I hoped it would be, the AI was a bitch but after I got a good handle on the controls I did manage to beat the challenge with Vermin, Ambulance(Meat something) and Outlaw. Love that arcadey feel.

It's Jaffes fault the game is being censored?

How can it be? If this is true ( like it appears to be ) i will consider not buying it. It´s not acceptable by ANY means. Mainly beacuse it´s a franchise that never worked very well in EU and this wont help. Don´t know Jaffe, one of the things i´ve heard you is that you want to get the franchise BIGGER in EU. Good luck! :(

Atruvius

Content cut for its graphical nature. I blame Germany and Sony. Just make different versions for Germany and the rest of EU.

Rattles

Servers ain't locked in the demo so they better not lock them for the full release other wise they can go fuck themselves.

Zanosuke

It's probably cuts because of some particular countries *cough*germany*cough* that the rest of Europe is fucked over?

Probably... ; /

David, could we get some clarification on this? And more importantly, is it possible to import the game from the US if I want to play a non-gimped version here in europe?

Endo Punk

Content cut for its graphical nature. I blame Germany and Sony. Just make different versions for Germany and the rest of EU.

GOW never received any cuts in the UK plus many other violent games. Yeah I agree don't punish UK for EU! I can handle the delay date but not cuts!

Top Bottom