• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Believe the Hype! Games you Purchased on a GAF Recommendation That Made you SAD

Patryn

Alpha Protocol. To be fair I haven't given it much of a chance yet (30 mins or so) but that seemed enough. :(

30 mins is a pretty short time to judge that game on (have you even finished the tutorial facility level?), but if you're really not enjoying it just move on.

That seems a bit much.

Viral Markters get routed pretty fast and just reading a few posts from each person can generally tell you that their love for said game is usually pretty real.

Granted I don't agree with said love alot of the time, but it's still real.

Or at least I would like to believe this to be the case.

I think that you would be surprised by how many viral marketers are among us here on the forums.

glaurung

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

You guys hyped the shit out of it and i fell for it.
I was doing a lot of that hyping, but yeah, the game turned to soul-crushing boredom very quickly.

I'd even say that I am more likely to play Barbie Horse Rescue rather than go back and finish that turd. The DLC packs have been uninspired too.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Also, ICO/SOTC collection. Had to force myself to finish ICO, just couldn't understand wtf I had to save Yorda.....wanted to ditch her skinny ass and just gtfo. Couldn't bring myself to even start SOTC after that.

Shadow of The Colossus I think the only thing I didn't hate about this game was the art style.

What.

UrbanRats

The most recent one must be Two Worlds 2.
God damnit, Dennis' screeshots fault, after 15 minutes i uninstalled that thing; at least it was from some sale, so no big loss.

Joe White

Killzone 2

Sony Gaf said: Gif spam and game changer

Reality: The worst game I've actually played through from start to finish, this generation.

This. I don't rank Killzone 2 as worst game this gen, but it's not far from the bottom. Definitely my learning experience regarding hype.

Mael

I was doing a lot of that hyping, but yeah, the game turned to soul-crushing boredom very quickly.

I'd even say that I am more likely to play Barbie Horse Rescue rather than go back and finish that turd. The DLC packs have been uninspired too.

Yeah huh, couldn't you have worked that out based on the demo alone?

For me it'd probably be....
Scribblenaut I think.
Very boring game I'd say.
And the infamous Metroid Other M too (not really I'd have bought it anyway, I'm just pissed this was released instead of basically anything).

Roq12

Neo Member

I know, i pretty much blame you for it. I'll PM you my address so that you can refund me.

tiff

Banned
Now that's just bullshit. Skyrim's animations are lightyears from the stiff, laughable garbage animations in Morrowind. Hell of a lot better than Oblivion's, too.

Skyrim is a step back from the earlier games in the ES series in many ways, but animation is not one of those ways.
On the other hand Morrowind's walk animation never fails to make me laugh, which is more than I can say for Skyrim.

PetrCobra

Occassionally someone posts a game here that I already forgot being convinced by GAF to play, like
The Conduit.

Definitely my case as well. Oddly enough, I have actually finished this game after a long pause when I stopped playing just before the end. And I am a person who does not finish games too often as I already said...

Dark Souls. I only rented it, but what an overrated game it is.

1335896840787.gif

Enslaved

GAF said:

I said:

Between this and many on GAF's comically misleading analysis of Nier, I learned my lesson. Until the next time I am stupid enough to get caught up in the HYPE. Happens to me every. single. time.

Enslaved? Now wait a minute, I actually checked out the thread due to the Journey to the West reference, but I did NOT see GAF hyping this game. People were either making fun of it, or saying of the the environments looked nice. I don't recall that many positive comments about this game. Plus, it's by Ninja Theory.

massoluk

Banned
Oh yea, forgot a couple.

Chaos Rings and Infinity Blades

GAF told me these games have DS/PSP depth content. BS. They are much better than most ios games out there, especially the production value. But the gameplays are not up there with what I expect, bored to death, a waste of my money.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Abylim said:
So you want Bioware to stand by an ending that makes no sense? Not just a "bad" ending, but it went against everything Casy had said, pre release! "Nope, no endings A, B Or c in this game! you cant do fetch quests to get the galaxy to love you! You're choices have consequences! All lies.

My point was that I can live with developers making mistakes. Fallibility is acceptable to me because (creative) people are fallible, and a lot of the time its down to personal tastes and values.

What I have a major issue with is an obvious lack of integrity in the work.

Look at it this way; I'm sure there are games listed somewhere in this thread that you think are pretty damn great, even if other folks were bitterly disappointed by them. Now, say you were one of the Gaffers that recommended one of those games, and you did so because it was your honest opinion and you wanted more people to share the good experience you had.

That's got to be alright? Surely. Because you were being straight-up, you weren't trolling people into wasting their time and money with a false recommendation.

That's the difference I'm talking about.

Disappointment is disappointment, but if you don't stand by your own word - you just look like a giant douchebag.

Batman AA.

One of the most dissapointing games I've played, it's not bad, but after the unanimous praise I expected it to be at least be good!

Boring combat, boring stealth, awful map design, game's pretty ugly and oh god the boss fights why

For real, at first glance looks ok, but after two hours it gets boring as hell, bland design and gameplay, horrible combat, below average stealth mechanics...yeah, is Batman, and Batman is cool, but that´s it, i had to push myself HARD to finish it.

ttocs

Oh yea, forgot a couple.

GAF told me these games have DS/PSP depth content. BS. They are much better than most ios games out there, especially the production value. But the gameplays are not up there with what I expect, bored to death, a waste of my money.

I'm going to second the Infinity Blade one. I enjoy the game, but it doesn't have the depth I was led to believe by browsing the forums. It's fun, but in a different way. A short and sweet way vs. an in depth in your pocket experience.

hayejin

GTA4

The amount of praises and seperate threads made on the launch day prompted me to go to GameStop and buy a new copy.

Returned it at $17 loss to GameStop the following day.

Riposte

It is fascinating to find other people on NeoGAF who dislike Batman Arkham's combat system. I thought everyone, but a handful of like-minded individuals were under that spell.

Oh yea, forgot a couple.

The same might be said for Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery EP (though on PC now). I think you need to be especially careful when someone tries to sell you on the idea of a "meaty" iOs game. It is likely they are really lowering the bar in order to make those comparisons.

Ducarmel

Sins of the Solar Empire

I just could not see the appeal. For a 4x game I could not get over it being real time instead of turned based strategy for some reason.

DangerStepp

No More Heroes

GAF: The Wii finally has a legit non-baby game!! Open world!! Use the Wii-mote as a lightsaber!!

Not. One of the jankiest, most inept games I've played in years.

It's a half-baked idea on a few Wii-mote motions and a God-awful, self-indulgent story.

nexen

Fina was it?

Looked it up, was Aika. She had this ability where the ground would open up in a grid pattern and red light would shoot up. She would almost always get to go first in combat and when you were significantly overlevelled for the area this would one shot kill all enemies. Made the random encounters much better.

edit: Also I'm going to say TWEWY again because, well, fuck that game.

Ahasverus

For real, at first glance looks ok, but after two hours it gets boring as hell, bland design and gameplay, horrible combat, below average stealth mechanics...yeah, is Batman, and Batman is cool, but that´s it, i had to push myself HARD to finish it.

lolwut.jpg

Human mind is fascinating indeed

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Skyrim and Portal 2. Dear god those games were terrible. The combat was horrible in Skyrim, how did it win goty when the combat was so ass? And Portal 2's poor attempts at humor and puzzle gameplay didn't do anything for me so that was immediately sold off. Actually these games weren't terrible, I just didn't find them appealing.

GeoramA

No More Heroes

GAF: The Wii finally has a legit non-baby game!! Open world!! Use the Wii-mote as a lightsaber!!

Not. One of the jankiest, most inept games I've played in years.

It's a half-baked idea on a few Wii-mote motions and a God-awful, self-indulgent story.
Yep. It's definitely #1 on my shit-list that GAF said was good.

Mass Effect is a crappy RPG saddled with crappy combat utilizing crappy controls with storytelling so boring that would make the average ST:TNG episode look exciting by comparison.

*yawn*

Angry Fork

Co-sign No More Heroes. It's the only game I've bought due to gaf hype and I really wanted to play a good Wii game since the system was such shit at the time.

One of the worst games I've ever played, atrocious in every regard. Shouldn't have been allowed to be released.

I don't even remember the "Here, I'll show you" line and I've beaten that game like 6-8 times using different playstyles and different difficulties. I missed the train several times, and I'm bad at the timing on one of the bosses, but yeah.

If you ever want to try it again, send me a PM and I'll be happy to talk you through whatever part was giving you trouble. :)

There wasn't a exact line like that, just the other person in the beginning showing you (badly) how to do something, you fail at it (which is to be expected) and then you have to watch the example again (which is pretty useless and annoying). After a good couple of times this gets very annoying and I though this was pretty bad game design. I wasn't enjoying it so I decided to go do something else. (I have way too many games anyway).

Maybe this is not my game. Though I just got a 3D monitor and this game is supported, so I might try it again just to see how it looks.

Thanks for the offer to help, I'll keep it in mind should I get past the big hurdle.

Amir0x

Banned
Enslaved? Now wait a minute, I actually checked out the thread due to the Journey to the West reference, but I did NOT see GAF hyping this game. People were either making fun of it, or saying of the the environments looked nice. I don't recall that many positive comments about this game. Plus, it's by Ninja Theory.

The comment I posted was literally a comment pulled directly from the topic. I know for a fact there was tons of positive commentary because I had got into multiple debates about the game over the course of the release, for which I was being told I was a wet blanket. And I know why I purchased the game, because some GAFers were comparing it to BG&E.

The premise is a bit slippery because there is no such thing as a GAF HIVE MIND, despite the trollers bullshit, so of course there was also plenty of criticism. I know because Y2Kev and me double teamed the shit out of the game after we played it. But it was indeed GAF that convinced me to buy it, if "GAF" is just a term for "several GAFers" or "a largely positive GAF topic", both of which are true here.

DangerStepp

Co-sign No More Heroes. It's the only game I've bought due to gaf hype and I really wanted to play a good Wii game since the system was such shit at the time.

One of the worst games I've ever played, atrocious in every regard. Shouldn't have been allowed to be released.
I knew I've always liked you.

Mondriaan

I can't really think of any games I bought based on GAF recommendations other than Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.

I didn't like it that much, but then again, I had pretty much bought all the previous Legend of Heroes PSP games anyway without anyone's recommendation and I didn't like those that much either.

dwu8991

Banned
Super Mario Galaxy never got close to living up to the hype of AAA.

At best it's a B+, a very good game but nothing more.

No need to listen to GAF. Listen to yourself. Or if you are looking for recommendations, get it from people who have similar tastes with games as your own.

I bought onimusha dawn of dreams after reading old threads and a couple of people liked it. Not a fan.

Looked it up, was Aika. She had this ability where the ground would open up in a grid pattern and red light would shoot up. She would almost always get to go first in combat and when you were significantly overlevelled for the area this would one shot kill all enemies. Made the random encounters much better.

Lambda burst, love soa. (btw, for anyone playing skies of arcadia on dc you can skip attack skills by pressing start)

News Bot

Banned
Deus Ex
Human Revolution

I mean, I liked the story, but the game in general was just... heh. Good, but not exceptional or ground-breaking.

The only two I really don't get are Demon's Souls and Bayonetta. Both games are among many's games of the generation if not the game of the gen, and while I haven't finished either of them, it's not for lack of trying.

The amount of time I spent on Demon's Souls without really having much fun (40-60 hours between two characters) is baffling when I think about it. I really wanted that badly to understand what it was about this game that had everyone so over the top with praise about it. The sickening thing is, I still tell myself I will give it another shot, or maybe try Dark Souls instead. I'm in denial about how much I don't enjoy a game that clearly most people truly do.

There have been plenty of cases in the past where I thought games were a bit overly praised and I could have at least presented a decent argument for why the enthusiasm could be kicked down a few notches, but I can't even begin with Demon's Souls because my perception of the game is on a completely different plane of existence than those who like it.

This, more than the game itself can ever be, is the most frustrating thing about Demon's Souls to me.

Wildesy

Deus Ex

I mean, I liked the story, but the game in general was just... heh. Good, but not exceptional or ground-breaking.

Plays games 12 years after release; expects them to still be ground-breaking.

Thread has officially jumped the shark.

Top Bottom