• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 PC will NOT have gamepad support

epmode

Dev realities, right Bioware? They don't care about the fans that represent a "minority," be they Japanese 360 players or PC players. It's all about the numbers, and not developer pride at this point.
That's as much an EA thing as anything else. EA's post-release support for PC games has been really shitty over the years. I first noticed this when they didn't even bother to make the Mirror's Edge DLC compatible with the Steam release (and they didn't even bother to mention this when the DLC was first released). TOO MUCH WORK

Then there's the super-keen Burnout Paradise island DLC missing from the otherwise great PC port. Same goes for Dead Space 2's DLC. And how Garrus' face in Mass Effect 1's PC port still uses that ultra-low-resolution texture, ruining every single closeup.

If the projected profit margin isn't quite high enough, EA has no problem ignoring a subset of their fans. They do it all. The. Time.

lotrfan

Neo Member
That's your right, but to stupid people, a console port is simply not a good game.

Fixed that one for you.
What is your point? The original post said “many PC Gamers” so or we are stupid or only stupid people believe a console port is not a good game. Either way it’s insulting and demonstrates your ignorance. There are many console ports (if not all) that suffer from being developed first for a console and then ported to PC. Even when there is a good port they are still designed with the limitations of the console in mind and thus suffer. Take ME3 for example we already know of the limitation on holstering caused by limited memory on the consoles. More than likely it will be also in the PC version though not necessary. Another one is RE4, which was unplayable on PC without a pad for what I have read.

So many PC gamers do consider console ports “not good games” for a very valid reason and as you all ask us to understand and accept that you want pad support for PC games so do we ask you to understand why we are resistant. As I said before I have no issue with a gamepad support for any PC game as long as it doesn’t affect negatively in any way how the game plays on the PC but can see why some may oppose it.

I'm pretty happy to see a whole thread get created about this, because it sort of indicates that this is growing increasingly unacceptable to players. Having learned about this a few days ago, it was time for me to write off ME3. I'm a controller user at nearly all times, and this includes the fact that I still operate at a desk - not from a couch 6+feet away from a TV. You can do a lot more with a controller can do a lot more than your typical kbm fanatic believes, and the time has come when we should have to have to fuck less and less with third party software to (poorly) set it up.

Still looking forward to Hawken and hoping it will have good built-in support for modern pads.

Jerykk

Banned
There isn't much need for precision on normal. Sure, it helps, but it's not essential. I played both ME games on 360 before I got my PC, and I had no problem getting through them without mouse controls. But it's totally fine if pad controls aren't good enough for you, most of the time I prefer KB/M as well, but the whole point here is that people should be given options.

Except this isn't really about necessity. By your logic, there is no real need for gamepad support because the game is perfectly playable with M/KB. There's no real need for you to play the game on a couch either because the game is perfectly playable sitting at a desk. Also, there's no real need to play the game on a big TV because the game is perfectly playable on a monitor.

M/KB is better for shooters because shooters benefit from quicker and more precise aim. A mouse provides quicker and more precise aim than an analog stick. This is a fact. If sitting on a couch is more important to you than using the optimal control scheme for a shooter, so be it. But please don't argue that any shooter doesn't need M/KB.

catabarez

What is your point? The original post said “many PC Gamers” so or we are stupid or only stupid people believe a console port is not a good game. Either way it’s insulting and demonstrates your ignorance. There are many console ports (if not all) that suffer from being developed first for a console and then ported to PC. Even when there is a good port they are still designed with the limitations of the console in mind and thus suffer. Take ME3 for example we already know of the limitation on holstering caused by limited memory on the consoles. More than likely it will be also in the PC version though not necessary. Another one is RE4, which was unplayable on PC without a pad for what I have read.

So many PC gamers do consider console ports “not good games” for a very valid reason and as you all ask us to understand and accept that you want pad support for PC games so do we ask you to understand why we are resistant. As I said before I have no issue with a gamepad support for any PC game as long as it doesn’t affect negatively in any way how the game plays on the PC but can see why some may oppose it.

Umm.. you know what a console port is right?

Just because some console ports are bad doesn't mean "many PC gamers" consider the majority of console ports bad games. That is ludicrous, there have been some amazing console ports in recent memory like Saints Row 3 and Sonic Generations. To say something is not good simply because it was developed with a console in mind is extremely narrow-minded. Good games are good games. Period.

Jerykk

Banned
It's pretty clear that Bioware doesn't care anymore. Let me give you my perspective on Bioware and "dev realities."

My wife is a big Mass Effect fan, and played the first game on the 360 in Japanese. So when it came time to play ME2, she got it for the 360 as well. There was no Cerberus code, and they were going to release all the extras via the Market, free and paid. Well, it never happened. They released the Kasumi DLC, and it was totally bugged, crashing the game from the word go. So they pulled it off of the Market, back in August. No information came out until early this month, when EA Japan revealed that the downloadable content for ME2 on the 360 was cancelled, because Bioware refused to work on it. They had "moved on" to ME3. So 360 users in Japan are screwed, they got nothing. Even though everything is available for the PS3 version of the game.

My wife hates Bioware now, and I'm sure there are a whole bunch of hardcore 360 players in Japan who won't trust Bioware again.

Dev realities, right Bioware? They don't care about the fans that represent a "minority," be they Japanese 360 players or PC players. It's all about the numbers, and not developer pride at this point.

I think you're misplacing the blame here. Bioware is owned by EA. EA makes all the business decisions. If the ME2 DLC was canceled for the Japanese X360 version, that was EA's call. It's not like Bioware could just give EA the finger and refuse to work on it. If any non-indie developer provides an explanation/excuse as to why something was canceled or delayed, it probably won't be honest because honesty would make publishers look bad. This is why Remedy never blamed MS when the PC version of Alan Wake was originally canceled. Had they told the truth, MS would have likely been pissed and pissing off your publisher is never a good idea.

Except this isn't really about necessity. By your logic, there is no real need for gamepad support because the game is perfectly playable with M/KB. There's no real need for you to play the game on a couch either because the game is perfectly playable sitting at a desk. Also, there's no real need to play the game on a big TV because the game is perfectly playable on a monitor.

M/KB is better for shooters because shooters benefit from quicker and more precise aim. A mouse provides quicker and more precise aim than an analog stick. This is a fact. If sitting on a couch is more important to you than using the optimal control scheme for a shooter, so be it. But please don't argue that any shooter doesn't need M/KB.
I'm reading the post you quoted and your reply. What are you going on about?

I think you're misplacing the blame here. Bioware is owned by EA. EA makes all the business decisions. If the ME2 DLC was canceled for the Japanese X360 version, that was EA's call. It's not like Bioware could just give EA the finger and refuse to work on it. If any non-indie developer provides an explanation/excuse as to why something was canceled or delayed, it probably won't be honest because honesty would make publishers look bad. This is why Remedy never blamed MS when the PC version of Alan Wake was originally canceled. Had they told the truth, MS would have likely been pissed and pissing off your publisher is never a good idea.

I could only go by my wife's interpretation of the statement, as it was in Japanese. Here is the statement itself:

http://www.ea.com/jp/news/me2-xbox-dlc

jackdoe

I'm reading the post you quoted and your reply. What are you going on about?
Haha. Going on a tirade about how people who want to play a shooter on a gamepad are wrong while contradicting his opening sentence about how "it isn't about necessity".

I'm just amazed that there is no gamepad support. People who spend hours on a M&KB at work sometimes don't want to spend their off time fucking up their wrists even more while gaming on a M&KB.

Ledsen

I work on a m/kb 8 hours a day and I already have carpal tunnel symptoms. That's why I want to play games on a gamepad, not because "sitting on a couch" is so important to me. So don't try to tell me what I need please.

Jerykk

Banned
Haha. Going on a tirade about how people who want to play a shooter on a gamepad are wrong while contradicting his opening sentence about how "it isn't about necessity".

I'm just amazed that there is no gamepad support. People who spend hours on a M&KB at work sometimes don't want to spend their off time fucking up their wrists even more while gaming on a M&KB.

Please refer to where I said that playing a shooter with a gamepad is wrong. I only said it wasn't the optimal control scheme because a mouse is faster and more precise than an analog stick and shooters will always benefit from faster and more precise aim. That's not really a debatable point. Note that I never said that mouse and keyboard are essential for playing shooters. You can still aim with an analog stick. It just isn't ideal.

Also, if you're concerned about carpal tunnel, you probably shouldn't be playing videogames at all. Repetitive motions with your hands and wrists (like the ones performed with gamepads) will only exacerbate the issue.

Ploid 3.0

He argued that M/KB wasn't necessary for the ME games because they were playable with a gamepad. I pointed out the hypocrisy of his claim.

It's not necessary, there's no hypocrisy in saying that. It's necessary to play starcraft 2 on high levels with mouse and keyboard. I played Civilization 4 with a controller, it was turn based so it worked. At one point I used a controller to control all of my computer because I liked laying back reading gaf. Now there's tablets and phones.

Though if you mean he's saying M/kb should have been held back for controller only yeah that would be wrong. Less options is bad.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
He argued that M/KB wasn't necessary for the ME games because they were playable with a gamepad. I pointed out the hypocrisy of his claim.

I argued that M/KB controls weren't necessary to the point of excluding gamepad controls. Read better. As I mentioned in my previous post, I typically play on normal, so I can just run n' gun that shit most of the time. I don't need quick access to abilities or razor sharp precision. Because of this, I think the "so what, KB/M is better anyways!" argument is bunk. PC gaming is supposed to be all about versatility, and it would be nice to have the option to play the game the way that suites me the best.

lotrfan

Neo Member
Umm.. you know what a console port is right?
Just because some console ports are bad doesn't mean "many PC gamers" consider the majority of console ports bad games. That is ludicrous, there have been some amazing console ports in recent memory like Saints Row 3 and Sonic Generations. To say something is not good simply because it was developed with a console in mind is extremely narrow-minded. Good games are good games. Period.
You obviously need to go and check computer dedicated sites. Even if the console port is good they typically “suffer” some type of console limitation like my example of ME3. The fact is that the 360 and PS3 are outdated compared to current PC’s and so no game that has been optimized for a console can fully use all the capabilities of a modern PC. I mention this even though it doesn’t affect me much because I never have the latest and greatest. There is also the implementation of saving points (and the lack of a save anywhere option) etc that drive PC gamer’s nuts although some are better than others. A lot of times the kb/mouse interface is just tacked on as an afterthought and thus don’t allow for proper key binding, Dead Space being one of the most recent for me that come to mind (I know that it is from 2008). I mean there is no excuse for not allowing for complete freedom of key binding. Dead Space also had sluggish aiming. There are many more. The point is that even good ports can have constraints that wouldn’t be there if developed for PC first.

I think that Bioware has done a great job with the Mass Effect ports and I am glad that they took the time and resources to make sure the kb/mouse interface worked flawlessly. I am no programmer so I have no idea what it takes to bring pad support to ME but I am pretty sure it has to take more time than just 15min as some have said here. Should they have added more resources to add pad support? YES. Should they have taken resources from the kb/m team to implement pad support? NO.

BTW “many pc gamers” doesn’t mean most either.

I only read the first page... did anyone eventually mention that the UI in the PC Mass Effect games are specifically designed for KBM? Because the UI is specifically and intentionally designed for use with KBM. It was like that for Mass Effect 1 and 2. That UI is a feature of the PC versions.

Just when we had weeded out the worst offenders comes a new batch of warriors.

circle of life

Yeah but these guys are worse, I can feel it in my bones.

I only read the first page... did anyone eventually mention that the UI in the PC Mass Effect games are specifically designed for KBM? Because the UI is specifically and intentionally designed for use with KBM. It was like that for Mass Effect 1 and 2. That UI is a feature of the PC versions.

Nope, nobody mentioned that at all in all these pages. But if they had, I'd have replied that the console version of the UI doesn't magically stop existing just because they add a special one for KB/M. It's still there, and probably what the game was built around. So why can't I use it?

And how is anything I said in my last post wrong? You cry for not getting pad support but we are not allowed to complain when we get a bad port or voice our concerns.

Oh get your hand off it. In your last post you made some comment about resources being taken away from the KB/M team in order to add pad support like that was something anyone but you was suggesting. That's called a strawman argument, look it up.

aeolist

Banned
Bioware isn't an independent dev getting published by EA like Remedy was for Alan Wake.

What people these days don't seem to understand is that "Bioware" is now just a label that EA slaps onto their RPG-lite games. You can blame Bioware and EA for this stuff at the same time because they are the same entity.

lotrfan

Neo Member
Oh get your hand off it. In your last post you made some comment about resources being taken away from the KB/M team in order to add pad support like that was something anyone but you was suggesting. That's called a strawman argument, look it up.

You are right no one said that however it is possible for this to happen so I mentioned it but never implied or tried to imply that it was in response to a particular argument made by a poster here. Bioware said something regarding cost and the need to meet the schedule as to why they hadn’t done pad support. So I just extrapolated from that statement that the only other way for them to do it would have been to either add more resources or to take away from existing (commonly used business move).

So the previous 2 ME games on PC having a superior UI tailored for KBM without controller support, does not correlate to the 3rd game in the trilogy sharing this same superior UI tailored for KBM without controller support? Help me out here

Because people complained about it then too. Is it unreasonable to expect a company which listens to their fans about which alien bunghole they should be able to penetrate to maybe pay attention to something which has been requested for a sequel?

And again, there's very little reason to remove something which already exists. It's bloody-minded and mystifying.

Because people complained about it then too. Is it unreasonable to expect a company which listens to their fans about which alien bunghole they should be able to penetrate to maybe pay attention to something which has been requested for a sequel?

And again, there's very little reason to remove something which already exists. It's bloody-minded and mystifying.

It wasn't removed. It was never there. ME1 was ported with a whole new UI, specifically for KBM. That was a feature, to draw interest to the port. It was so successful and superior to the console version in usability and control, it was carried over to the second game. The way the game plays on PC requires KBM.

ctrayne

It wasn't removed. It was never there. ME1 was ported with a whole new UI, specifically for KBM. That was a feature, to draw interest to the port. It was so successful and superior to the console version in usability and control, it was carried over to the second game. The way the game plays on PC requires KBM.

I'm sure the UI is still in the code somewhere. And yes, it was removed if it was there to begin with in the 360 version. It's not like the started from scratch on the ME1 PC port.

We all know the KB+M setup is more efficient and better. The problem here is that a lot of people play PC games on a TV with a controller. They have their own legit reasons. It's not a stretch or even weird to expect a PC game to support gamepads.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution has two different GUIs based on if you use KB+M or control pad (radial wheel for controllers) and it changes on the fly. So something even half as useable should be standard in something like ME.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Deus Ex: Human Revolution has two different GUIs based on if you use KB+M or control pad (radial wheel for controllers) and it changes on the fly. So something even half as useable should be standard in something like ME.

DXHR was ported by a skillful separate team to PC who worked closely with the main team that listened to fans and included many of the things people like such as dynamic pad support, certain hud toggles, and an FOV slider. You can't expect EA to give the ME3 the same PC tender love and care. They just don't give a shit.

ctrayne

DXHR was ported by a skillful separate team to PC who worked closely with the main team that listened to fans and included many of the things people like such as dynamic pad support, certain hud toggles, and an FOV slider. You can't expect EA to give the ME3 the same PC tender love and care. They just don't give a shit.

Oh yeah, I forgot. :)

Sothpaw

You are right no one said that however it is possible for this to happen so I mentioned it but never implied or tried to imply that it was in response to a particular argument made by a poster here. Bioware said something regarding cost and the need to meet the schedule as to why they hadn’t done pad support. So I just extrapolated from that statement that the only other way for them to do it would have been to either add more resources or to take away from existing (commonly used business move).

You make some great points, but instead of actual discussion your argument gets written off as a strawman and you get the recent batch of juniors called "the worst batch ever."

I think that means you won.

Ploid 3.0

kingdom%20of%20amalur%20reckoning-500x500.jpg

Has on the fly UI changing, just like a lot of other PC games. PC isn't even struggling to change UI's, I hear PC is a very capable platform compared to consoles.

And Bioware is EA's big company. Heck they put kinect in the thing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
KoA has a decent PC release because Kurt Schilling is a PC gamer and doesn't have EA's fist lodged firmly in his ass.

And Bioware is EA's big company. Heck they put kinect in the thing.

That just makes it even more depressing. Bioware has released 5 titles with all of the controller interface work done and they have removed said work from all 5 of the PC releases of those games.

inky

I'm sure the UI is still in the code somewhere. And yes, it was removed if it was there to begin with in the 360 version. It's not like the started from scratch on the ME1 PC port.

In ME2, I actually have this weird bug in which for a split second the 360 button layout will appear at the bottom of the screen when going into the galaxy map/planet scan screen.

While it doesn't affect me that much, it is still baffling that this game doesn't have it for sure. It is a console port, it already has a UI designed for it and it has become the norm for PC releases these last couple of years to the extent that even very small games have that support. Searching around GAF shows that 2 years ago+ people thought no controller support was already dumb in the first place for the previous games.

Between the no weapon holster animation and this Bioware sure shows they are not afraid of taking shortcuts.

Ploid 3.0

In ME2, I actually have this weird bug in which for a split second the 360 button layout will appear at the bottom on the screen when going into the galaxy map/planet scan screen.

While it doesn't affect me that much, it is still baffling that this game doesn't have it for sure. It is a console port, it already has a UI designed for it and it has become the norm for PC releases these last couple of years to the extent that even very small games have that support. Searching around GAF shows that 2 years ago+ people thought no controller support was already dumb in the first place for the previous games.

Between the no weapon holster animation and this Bioware sure shows they are not afraid of taking shortcuts.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed this.

It always makes me laugh when people say that you can't blame Bioware and that it's EA to blame. They are the same now so no matter who is making stupid decisions, they are both involved.

In this case I suspect it is Bioware who has made this decision (because this is a trend for them) and it's EA who isn't knocking some sense into their heads.

rozay

Banned
According to the BSN, the BioGame file for ME3 seems to have 360 bindings in some form:
Interestingly enough, there appears to be key bindings for a 360 controller in the BioGame file. These are listed directly under the keyboard map.

"(Key="XboxTypeS_A", Name=176045)",
"(Key="XboxTypeS_B", Name=176046)",
"(Key="XboxTypeS_X", Name=176047)",
"(Key="XboxTypeS_Y", Name=176048)",
"(Key="XboxTypeS_LeftShoulder", Name=174718)",
"(Key="XboxTypeS_RightShoulder", Name=174806)",
"(Key="XboxTypeS_LeftTrigger", Name=174720)",
"(Key="XboxTypeS_RightTrigger", Name=174802)",
"(Key="XboxTypeS_Back", Name=174628)",
"(Key="XboxTypeS_Start", Name=174829)",
"(Key="XboxTypeS_LeftThumbstick", Name=174637)",
"(Key="XboxTypeS_RightThumbstick", Name=174638)",
"(Key="XboxTypeS_DPad_Up", Name=174656)",
"(Key="XboxTypeS_DPad_Down", Name=174653)",
"(Key="XboxTypeS_DPad_Right", Name=174655)",
"(Key="XboxTypeS_DPad_Left", Name=174654)",
"(Key="XboxTypeS_LeftX", Name=174719)",
"(Key="XboxTypeS_LeftY", Name=174805)",
"(Key="XboxTypeS_RightX", Name=174803)",
"(Key="XboxTypeS_RightY", Name=174804)"
I don't think necessarily means the game will have it (or get it patched in) but it seems they did try at some point? Makes me wonder how much more work it would take to finish it.

I don't think necessarily means the game will have it (or get it patched in) but it seems they did try at some point? Makes me wonder how much more work it would take to finish it.

Or that it shares a common codebase with the 360 version. If somebody has crossplatform coding experience they might shed light on whether controller mappings for 360 and PC have similar / identical coding or not.

According to the BSN, the BioGame file for ME3 seems to have 360 bindings in some form:

I'm not familiar with the technical details but pretty much all UE3 games I've seen have references to Xbox bindings and settings buried in .ini files. (Bioshock had them.) Doesn't mean they actually affect anything in the PC version.

Jerykk

Banned
Bioware isn't an independent dev getting published by EA like Remedy was for Alan Wake.

What people these days don't seem to understand is that "Bioware" is now just a label that EA slaps onto their RPG-lite games. You can blame Bioware and EA for this stuff at the same time because they are the same entity.

Bioware is a developer. EA is a publisher. EA has the final call on all business decisions, not Bioware. If EA wanted to, they could close all the Bioware studios and cancel all upcoming Bioware games. Being owned by a parent company doesn't make you synonymous with that company.

Jerykk

Banned
I argued that M/KB controls weren't necessary to the point of excluding gamepad controls. Read better. As I mentioned in my previous post, I typically play on normal, so I can just run n' gun that shit most of the time. I don't need quick access to abilities or razor sharp precision. Because of this, I think the "so what, KB/M is better anyways!" argument is bunk. PC gaming is supposed to be all about versatility, and it would be nice to have the option to play the game the way that suites me the best.

I agree that options are good but who can say just how much time and resources would be required for supporting both M/KB and gamepads? Would they have had to cut back on the M/KB optimizations (like the redesigned UI)? Would they have had to reduce testing for the M/KB controls and UI? I don't know the game's budget, dev cycle or resources so I can't really say. What I can say is that M/KB is the standard control scheme for PC and the optimal control scheme for shooters in general (I usually play them on the highest difficulty), so to me, gamepad support is unnecessary. If implementing gamepad support would diminish the M/KB support in any way, I'm glad they didn't do it.

Wallach

I agree that options are good but who can say just how much time and resources would be required for supporting both M/KB and gamepads? Would they have had to cut back on the M/KB optimizations (like the redesigned UI)? Would they have had to reduce testing for the M/KB controls and UI? I don't know the game's budget, dev cycle or resources so I can't really say. What I can say is that M/KB is the standard control scheme for PC and the optimal control scheme for shooters in general (I usually play them on the highest difficulty), so to me, gamepad support is unnecessary. If implementing gamepad support would diminish the M/KB support in any way, I'm glad they didn't do it.

The effort involved is honestly very minor. It's especially true for a game like this that already has part of the work done out of necessity, and certainly wouldn't have any bearing on the M/KB support.

There's really no good excuse for not having it in this game (or most any game that comes multiplatform alongside the 360).

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Why are you defending this so hard?

It's been posted a million times in this thread that 2 and 3 man teams come out with gamepad-supporting PC games all the time. Why defend laziness?

Hell, we got game developers here on GAF. Let's ask them. Any devs out there, indie or otherwise, want to talk about whether or not it's actually hard to get controller support into a PC game?

Top Bottom