• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Kong: Skull Island any good?

error4041

put me in the camp that thinks the movie is well worth the time. Sure, they don't use the actors very well and the tone can shift at weird times. but it's visually gorgeous and gives some campy monster fun.

I am unashamed to say that I enjoyed the part where Kong takes the tree and strips the branches off and uses it like a sword against the skull-crawler.

Daingurse

put me in the camp that thinks the movie is well worth the time. Sure, they don't use the actors very well and the tone can shift at weird times. but it's visually gorgeous and gives some campy monster fun.

I am unashamed to say that I enjoyed the part where Kong takes the tree and strips the branches off and uses it like a sword against the skull-crawler.

The film really was shot quite well! It's a good looking movie.

Hyun Sai

Worst dialogue I seen for a very long time. It was incredible. CGI effects were ok, actors were bland, many action scenes were ridiculous.

Mediocre, even in the brainless blockbuster action flick category.

Slightly worse than the godzilla from a few years ago.
We may differ on the "slightly", but yeah.

Nairume

Banned
This movie was fun. Sure, the dialog was overly goofy, some of the plot contrivances were silly, and the movie is constantly mugging you in the face with how campy it gets.

But the point is that it's fun. Kong gets to actually do fun things. SLJ and Goodman get to chew the hell out of some scenery. The music was fun. Just, everything was so fun. I can forgive the flaws that are present because I was enjoying myself so much that it really didn't matter.

And it held up on a rewatch, too.

I really liked the Vietnam shit, was kinda hoping they'd lean into that a lot harder even.

Still, that shot with the sunglasses was good.

Daingurse

This movie was fun. Sure, the dialog was overly goofy, some of the plot contrivances were silly, and the movie is constantly mugging you in the face with how campy it gets.

But the point is that it's fun. Kong gets to actually do fun things. SLJ and Goodman get to chew the hell out of some scenery. The music was fun. Just, everything was so fun. I can forgive the flaws that are present because I was enjoying myself so much that it really didn't matter.

And it held up on a rewatch, too.

Pretty much how I feel. It's just a really fun monster movie.

It was pretty meh. Can't really remember anything from the movie other than "Bitch please" and I had completely forgotten that Tom Hiddleston was in it until I googled the movie ten seconds ago.

It wasn't Jurassic World levels of so terrible I was angry at having seen it but it's not good enough for me to ever want to watch it again.

So barely a month after I typed out the post above, some friends came round and they hadn't seen Kong so we ended up firing it up and yeah, it's still meh. There are some legitimately gorgeous shots in the movie but then you have Tom Hiddleston who is SO bad. Not boring, he's just bad. Brie Larson was a bit better but that's not a high bar to clear.

John C. Reilly was still the best part of the movie, closely followed by Cole and I agree with this post:

Shea Whigham continues to be a good actor who needs more roles.

I don't think I've seen him in anything before but in a movie full of performances that range from one note to straight trash, he somehow managed to create a person with emotions and character.

The movie would have been WAY better if rather than waste time on Hiddleston and Larson,
John C. Reilly and the Japanese pilot were both alive and spent half the movie bickering like an old married couple

Bronx-Man

Banned
For all its flaws (characters, writing) I will say I came out of it feeling a helluva lot more entertained than I did watching Edward's Godzilla. Now that movie bored me to tears. But yeah, gorgeous visuals, good action, John C. Reilly nails his performance with flying colors especially at the very end.

I just watched it the other day and came away from it thinking it was middling but every time I've remembered it since then, it only seems to get worse. It sets so many things up and they almost all either go nowhere or end in complete disappointment. There's maybe two likeable characters in the entire movie. And there's some bizarre, campy shit thrown in there for no reason. It sucks.

Peter Jackson's King Kong, on the other hand, still holds up. Great Kong movie.

Nairume

Banned
For all its flaws (characters, writing) I will say I came out of it feeling a helluva lot more entertained than I did watching Edward's Godzilla. Now that movie bored me to tears. But yeah, gorgeous visuals, good action, John C. Reilly nails his performance with flying colors especially at the very end.
So, like, I defended the hell out of Godzilla 2014, because I really bought into the narrative that monster movies need to show self restraint in showing the monster, because it's ultimately so much more satisfying when you get the one brief scene of the monster in full doing its thing.

Meanwhile, Kong opens up with Kong front and center, has him doing fun stuff all throughout the movie, and then ends on
Kong going fucking God of War on the Skullcrawler Queen
. There wasn't a moment where I wasn't smiling at what was going on in Kong.

Now I can't ever go back to Godzilla 2014. It really was boring and we were just trying to convince ourselves otherwise.

Gravidee

So, like, I defended the hell out of Godzilla 2014, because I really bought into the narrative that monster movies need to show self restraint in showing the monster, because it's ultimately so much more satisfying when you get the one brief scene of the monster in full doing its thing.

Meanwhile, Kong opens up with Kong front and center, has him doing fun stuff all throughout the movie, and then ends on

Now I can't ever go back to Godzilla 2014. It really was boring and we were just trying to convince ourselves otherwise.

I hope the approach taken to Kong is what will be applied to King of Monsters. With Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah all in the movie, you cannot hold anything back. Fire on all cylinders.

Jedi2016

It was pretty much exactly what I expected from seeing the trailer. I'd go so far as to say that the film is just a two hour version of the trailer. Meaning I was not impressed.

Godzilla was the far better film. And Peter Jackson made a far better Kong.

The best part of the movie (and one of the few good parts really) is definitely the post credits scene. I saw that part early since it was leaked but it was still cool in the theater.

And yeah, I think Godzilla was the better movie. Everything with Ford and his military travels are really boring, and the dialogue is hilariously bad sometimes, but the set pieces and cinematography are far better. They're both held back by flaws.

old

It's a serviceable action movie. It's paced fast. Doesn't drag. Has a few good laughs. And has big action sequences. The story and acting are serviceable too.

It's good just not memorable. I walked away feeling entertained but I also didn't feel any urge to ever see it again.

Nonsense. The bit where Godzilla
's dorsal plates start lighting up before his first atomic breath attack
is more hype than anything in Kong: Skull Island, as is the bit when Godzilla first turns up at the airport and you see him roar.

Edwards made a fantastic Godzilla movie which was as true to its roots as you could get from a big budget Hollywood version, Kong is just mediocre.

I hope the approach taken to Kong is what will be applied to King of Monsters. With Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah all in the movie, you cannot hold anything back. Fire on all cylinders.

No way they go the restrained/cockteasing route with the next movie, we've seen Godzilla and other giant monsters now and it's time to go nuts. I think I'd still prefer Godzilla to have a relatively small amount of screen time but give us lots of Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah please.

It was pretty much exactly what I expected from seeing the trailer. I'd go so far as to say that the film is just a two hour version of the trailer. Meaning I was not impressed.

Godzilla was the far better film. And Peter Jackson made a far better Kong.

^^^^^

Edwards made a fantastic Godzilla movie which was as true to its roots as you could get from a big budget Hollywood version, Kong is just mediocre.

Nah, Godzilla 2014 is nowhere near as thematically charged (or good) as the original film. The original Godzilla is a time capsule that perfectly captures the fears at the time with a very strong and urgent message. Godzilla 2014 brings in a mishmash of ideas to criticise the government but it's muddled by the characters and it doesn't have the same amount of urgency nor relevance. The closest movie by Toho that G14 could be compared to is probably something like Godzilla 2000 or some other post-1991 Godzilla movie that's not titled Shin Godzilla or GMK.

Not gonna deny that the set pieces in the movie are awesome. The airport scene and the Golden Gate bridge encounter are wonderfully well done. The fight with the MUTOs is pretty cool, even if there are too many cutaways to soldiers carrying a nuke around.

It is very fun B movie. It is how monster movie should be unlike 2014 godzilla movie where you can't see shit and characters are pretending to be serious.

ArcLyte

Nope. It bored me to sleep a few times, couldn't wait for it to be over. The acting and line delivery was godawful, likely not the fault of the cast.

I caught the first 20-30 minutes on a recent plane ride and have resolved to rent and watch it on bluray when I get back to Taipei.

I liked what I saw of it well enough to know I'll probably enjoy it on a visceral level.

I enjoyed it a lot. It makes no bones about being just a big, silly monster movie.

Yep, it knows exactly what it is.

I know I'm like GAFs biggest Godzilla fan and all that, but I don't really get this sentiment. The movies which have something beyond monsters beating the shit out of each other are always better their spectacle-only counterparts in my opinion. It's how Godzilla become a huge franchise and cultural icon in Japan in the first place and why most Western monster movies aren't remembered outside of late night marathons or cult fanbases. Kong has some cool action but I doubt anyone is going to talk about it outside of "that one part was sick" a decade from now.

I went in expecting a big dumb fun monster movie but I came out hating it, the way it was cut was really annoying and the jungle island setting ended up being totally bland and a missed opportunity with cliche Vietnam era stuff. The action was ok but filled with slo mo shots that took me out of it

The best parts were Samuel L Jackson and John C Reilly but that's just because they're Samuel L Jackson and John C Reilly

Daingurse

I know I'm like GAFs biggest Godzilla fan and all that, but I don't really get this sentiment. The movies which have something beyond monsters beating the shit out of each other are always better their spectacle-only counterparts in my opinion. It's how Godzilla become a huge franchise and cultural icon in Japan in the first place and why most Western monster movies aren't remembered outside of late night marathons or cult fanbases. Kong has some cool action but I doubt anyone is going to talk about it outside of "that one part was sick" a decade from now.

I don't need, nor want every monster movie to be Gojira, and I appreciate a movie that knows exactly what it is trying to do. Kong was a throwback to old cheesy 50's B movies, and it was not trying to hide it. And I think this movie is defenitely going to stick with me man, so please speak for yourself. Skull Island was the most fun I've had in a theatre in years.

J_Viper

Everything with King is gold, and the visuals are impeccable. The rest ranges from tolerable to garbage.

Loki and Brie are both terrible here. They're completely miscast and under-written. Trying to make Hiddleston's crumpet ass a grizzled mercenary was straight up laughable.

The army dudes were alright.

I remember the first twenty minutes or so being pretty painful as well. The film could've started with the flight over to Skull Island without losing anything of merit.

Daingurse

This movie has almost zero in common with 50s horror. It's certainly not a throwback to anything unless you think 2009's "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" qualifies as "Throwback"

It absolute felt like something akin to Them! or Invasion of the Giant Spider, and other cheesy american giant monster movies to me man. I've already read your thoughts on the film in the OT, and we just plain don't agree on anything regarding this film.

Fox Mulder

Shin Godzilla shit all over it in a way only the Japanese can.

I don't remember shit about the 2014 Godzilla really, but his design was neat. It will probably be the same with Kong in a few years.

Still, it's the best time to be alive for the Godzilla franchise. These films will still go on my shelf next to all the others in the genre.

massoluk

Banned
I like it. Good fun action set pieces. And I'm not quite sure why some gave it poor reviews. The low point would be how pointless that Chinese lady in the near top billing was, lol.

Fox Mulder

I like it. Good fun action set pieces. And I'm not quite sure why some gave it poor reviews. The low point would be how pointless that Chinese lady in the near top billing was, lol.

Maybe there's a chinese cut of her saving the day or something.

It was ok. Some cool looking CG monster action and a plot that moved along at a nice pace. Sadly I never really connected with most of the characters and some bits that were supposed to be charming/funny fell flat. John C Riley's character was entertaining throughout though. Good but not great movie.

I don't need, nor want every monster movie to be Gojira, and I appreciate a movie that knows exactly what it is trying to do. Kong was a throwback to old cheesy 50's B movies, and it was not trying to hide it. And I think this movie is defenitely going to stick with me man, so please speak for yourself. Skull Island was the most fun I've had in a theatre in years.

I didn't even have the original Godzilla in mind while writing that post. I specifically mentioned how I like the films that had something "beyond just monsters beating the shit out of each other" (in other words, I was talking about the sequels with themes). It's fine if the people behind a movie just want it to entertain people and have cool moments, and they do deserve praise for delivering on it. What I don't get is when people seemingly frame that praise as something that sometimes comes off as "these movies are inherently silly, so any attempts at substance are inherently bad thus I'm glad they didn't try it." It looks unreasonably dismissive, considering as some of the sillier, monster action packed films do have substance. For the most part, those are the ones that get loved and respected for decades. If I misundersood those posts, feel free to criticise me, but that's how they came off and that's why I decided to respond like that.

I didn't even have the original Godzilla in mind while writing that post. I specifically mentioned how I like the films that had something "beyond just monsters beating the shit out of each other" (in other words, I was talking about the sequels with themes). It's fine if the people behind a movie just want it to entertain people and have cool moments, and they do deserve praise for delivering on it. What I don't get is when people seemingly frame that praise as something that sometimes comes off as "these movies are inherently silly, so any attempts at substance are inherently bad thus I'm glad they didn't try it." It looks unreasonably dismissive, considering as some of the sillier, monster action packed films do have substance. For the most part, those are the ones that get loved and respected for decades. If I misundersood those posts, feel free to criticise me, but that's how they came off and that's why I decided to respond like that.

This is a good post.

Jombie

Not every movie needs subtext or social commentary, and there are plenty of movies that are fondly remembered that are just that. And honestly, Kong is the movie I wanted Godzilla '14 to be.

What I don't get is when people seemingly frame that praise as something that sometimes comes off as "these movies are inherently silly, so any attempts at substance are inherently bad thus I'm glad they didn't try it." I

I definetly did not say that, nor suggest such a thing.

HiiiLife

I liked it more than the peter Jackson one. Seemed much more charming. Loved the special effects. And the WW2/Vietnam vibe throughout the movie. Though it's much more cheesy, and the fight doesn't reach the same high as snapping trex mouths but it was consistent enough with its action imo.

I saw a bit of footage of it on Youtube and it seems like a good popcorn action flick but obviously not much of an Oscar winner. The reason I ask is I've found as I've gotten older, my patience for movies has waned a fair amount. Even if a movie is not particularly bad but just average, I'll turn it off mid way. I'm a huge fan of monster flicks as well so I figured it would be my cup of tea

Go live your life, kid.

Going by the category of directors with filmographies of "comedy with Parks & Rec cast member -> giant monster franchise installment (with dull lead characters)", Vogt-Roberts is the better Trevarrow. Honestly enjoyed it more than the other Apocalypse Now + Apes movie of the summer.

The online film chat/critic community sometimes anoints entertaining dumb overblown actioners, but not this one it seems. Ah well.

RedSwirl

It's not a King Kong movie in the sense of the other ones. It's a kaiju movie starring King Kong. I thought it was a pretty good kaiju movie, but I haven't seen a whole lot of those.

Top Bottom