• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John McCain has Brain Cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

I don't wish cancer on anyone so my condolences.

Serious question: Can/will this affect his decision making process and would his seat be up for a special election if he resigned for health reasons?
A temporary replacment would be named by the Governor (R) and an election would be held at the next available normal election.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
My nuero nurse of a wife says this is one of the worst ones you can be diagnosed with.

Cancer really sucks.

Serious question: Can/will this affect his decision making process and would his seat be up for a special election if he resigned for health reasons?
Someone said that in AZ, the governor has to appoint a replacement senator from the same party and the seat will be put up for a special election during the next general (so, in '18)

Even though I don’t agree with him politically, and think he’s been very weak in standing up to Trump, he’s also a god damn American hero (despite being captured, Donald).

This sucks.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Median survival rate for a glioblastoma in a middle-aged man is about 11 months (Ted Kennedy lasted about that long). McCain is 80. This is assuming it hasn't yet metastasized and that it is correctly identified and not some non-brain cancer local to the brain [initial diagnoses are often incorrect about the specific pathology]. My guess would be he'll be gone this year.

He won re-election in 2016 so if he steps down for health reasons it's special election time, but given that he carried that seat by double digits I wouldn't expect it to swing by enough to favor a democratic candidate.

Zolo

I'm guessing he's going to be out for a long time. This really puts a damper on any/all Senate votes

Yeah. I was wondering how this worked. I figured he'd resign now, but is he basically just absent while dealing with this for now or visit the hospital weekly?

I hope he turns out okay. As much shit as he deservedly gets, my strongest memory of McCain is admonishing the person at his rally who was worried that Obama was a secret Muslim.

Rival

Gold Member

I believe he would be replaced by an appointment from the governor of Arizona. This is what put our illustrious former governor of Illinois in prison for trying to sell.

Puts a hold on any GOP senate motions until they run a replacement.

Gridlock continues, hope he recovers and retires to the last years of his life in peace.

Shauni

That might explain the strange behaviour during the comey interview

There was something reported that the reason he was so incoherent at that hearing was because he had just gotten back from back-to-back flights to allies. Apparently, in the background, he'd been on an apology tour for Trump to several of our key allies that Trump has alienated. I mean, this might have something to do with it, too, but there was an explanation for why he was so out of it there.

That is terrible, my grandpa died from that. I really hope Mc. Cain can get some form of treatment to get cured.

He is one of The few republicans I like, and I can count them with one hand.

NexusCell

DFIwI26WAAAlsaP

damn.
Glioblastoma, that's the most aggressive form of brain cancer. Combined with his age and the already extremely low survival rate, his chance of survival isn't good

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
‪I hope he gets the treatment that he needs and that he learns how important health insurance is to those with cancer.‬

Median survival rate for a glioblastoma in a middle-aged man is about 11 months (Ted Kennedy lasted about that long). McCain is 80. This is assuming it hasn't yet metastasized and that it is correctly identified and not some non-brain cancer local to the brain [initial diagnoses are often incorrect about the specific pathology]. My guess would be he'll be gone this year.

Well shot. That's some rough stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom