• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bright | Official Trailer (Netflix, Will Smith, Dec 22)

Bronx-Man

Banned
Weren't you reading earlier?

"Bobby Roberts" is all an elaborate ruse. The face, the name, the voice - all that. Just some dude I've been hiring the past 10+ years. Playing a role to provide cover for the real me: Max Landis.

Ask me anything.
What's it like starring on Half in the Bag

It did almost happen once, I believe.

c3f.gif

Get Kevin Smith onboard too.

DOWN

Banned
Why the hell would they put 'from the director of Suicide Squad' in the trailer
That movie was stylish and different from its peers, and that drew a big audience even if they left the theatre less excited. It was an easy sell to get people to watch at least.

tomtom94

I don't get this movie. If it's meant to be a fantasy drama, why are they playing it like Training Day? If it's meant to be allegorical, why do they throw in a stupid "fairy lives don't matter" line? If it's meant to be Netflix's big movie, why on earth did they pick a Max Landis script?

So many questions.

I don't get this movie. If it's meant to be a fantasy drama, why are they playing it like Training Day? If it's meant to be allegorical, why do they throw in a stupid "fairy lives don't matter" line? If it's meant to be Netflix's big movie, why on earth did they pick a Max Landis script?

So many questions.

Don't over complicate it

Just think of it as modern-day Shadowrun :)

Strax

Pretty sure this was pretty heavily rewritten by Ayer. Landis was all about this movie right up until the first week of shooting and then he has never talked about it again. Premise is still very recognizably Landis's pitch though.

I gotta admit I find it pretty suspect that Max has been tweeting from Comic-Con about his scripts and other stuff and hasn't mention his 3.5 millz movie script that now has a trailer which debuted at Comic-Con.

You guys do know Max Landis wrote this shit, right?

So it's not just a David Ayer movie. It's a Max Landis-written David Ayer movie.
Conflicted feelings.

I've yet to see something with Max Landis involved that I liked. I prefer watching this youtube videos on how the industry works than his actual work XD

Ridley327

Huh, I didn't know that they were going for an R-rating with this, as there's no way that a throat slash with blood would ever get a PG-13.

That being said, that "fairy lives don't matter" line is really, really, really tone deaf, even with the context of involving an actual fairy.

Does this billing of "A NETFLIX FILM" bug anyone else?

It's already kind of obnoxious how they stick "Netflix Original" on shit they just licensed from another country, but now they're inserting themselves as the driving creative force for branding purposes and that seems...really shitty?

Cptkrush

Does this billing of "A NETFLIX FILM" bug anyone else?

It's already kind of obnoxious how they stick "Netflix Original" on shit they just licensed from another country, but now they're inserting themselves as the driving creative force for branding purposes and that seems...really shitty?

It's a Netflix movie; it was bought and paid for by Netflix, and it was produced by Netflix for Netflix.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
That's... a really cool idea for a setting. I kinda want this on a tv show now.

Jag

So many questions.

Looks more like a fantasy buddy cop movie.

Flarin

I have no point of reference if there's some kind of source material, but this looks like one of the lamest things I've ever seen. It seems like a good idea on paper and then it's "Oh God what have we done!?" on screen. Also, what made Will Smith sign up for this. Yikes.

that "Bright: The Album" coming soon tho....

looks like Ayer really likes releasing albums alongside his movies now with a bunch of popular artists lol.

it fit suicide squad's marketing but it just doesn't work here. although I liked hearing Lil Uzi (I think?) there for a second. that pop song throughout the trailer is trash though, and makes this corny movie look even worse.

looks stupid but because it's on Netflix it requires minimal commitment to watch and I'll check it out. Hopefully if people respond well to it we get a good Alien Nation remake for tv. the potential behind this concept guys....

I like the visuals and the general concept. I'll definitely check it out.

What I'd really like to see is the movie do well enough to take the world/lore and flesh it out in a Netflix Series. Probably with different leads, as I don't think Will would be up to doing the TV thing at this stage of his life. But the main thing is that the world looks interesting enough that I'd like to see it developed.

As someone who has been on Dresden binge lately, yea. Only everything is out in the open compared that universe and there are no wizards.

I was thinking it was closer to a modern-day Garret P.I., which is basically the reverse Dresden Files - ordinary man in a fantasy world. I'm pretty sure it/Glenn Cook were an inspiration for Dresden.

I mean i was really thinking "stealth Shadowrun movie", but yeah.

Top Bottom