• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Dahbomb

Feel this meta is worse version of shadowverse game, where most of shit in that game is tempo oriented deck, but the thing is the game is designed around back and forth tempo swing, I don't think Hearthstone has mechanic to support that kind of games, every game decided in blow out way.. no come back mechanic at all
Hearthstone has ALWAYS been about tempo.

This new Rogue is not a tempo deck, it's more like a combo deck. Only it is the only combo deck ever made in HS that can kill you by turn 6. Needs limited draw and board presence to go off.

Play against this new Rogue quest is like playing in one of those Tavern Brawls with a seemingly busted mechanic.

The good thing about Quest Rogue that it is at least a high skill deck compared to Pirate Warrior. Bad players still mess it up constantly. That will affect its win rate on Ladder at least.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If this Rogue quest becomes meta I think I'm perfectly fine with it.

It's not degenerate aggro and it's not degenerate fatigue. It's a relatively hard deck to pilot. It has weaknesses. You can interact with it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Quest rogue isn't that hard to pilot. The basic rules will be established and everybody will be able to learn them in order to efficiently complete your quest early. It's no patron warrior that's for sure.

aerogod 2.0

Neo Member
The Dragon/Elemental Priest is legit. I tried fitting the quest in for the long game but it wasn't working out and wasnt really needed. Youre pretty much guaranteed 3 operatives and most of the time you get 4 since a lot of the mediocre dragons were cut.

Servant of Kalimos also doing work. I pulled Lyra from one and was surprised at the results. Still much work and refinement to do but rank 18-10 looking good. Dragon isnt dead boys

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
sitting on 7500 dust, no idea what to craft

maybe I'll start with some of the non-legendaries I never picked up

like murloc warleader or gadgetzan auctioneer

The Dragon/Elemental Priest is legit. I tried fitting the quest in for the long game but it wasn't working out and wasnt really needed. Youre pretty much guaranteed 3 operatives and most of the time you get 4 since a lot of the mediocre dragons were cut.

I feel like elemental anything is going to work because the cards are insanely strong between turns 4 and 8.

Starting to see Shamans throw elemental synergies into their Jade decks. That shit is going to be annoying as hell.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I don't know if it's the flu that got me, or the fact that life generally is going down the shitter atm... but I tried quest rogue out and lost 7 games in a row :( i guess I'm not good enough for this

wiibomb

sitting on 7500 dust, no idea what to craft

maybe I'll start with some of the non-legendaries I never picked up

like murloc warleader or gadgetzan auctioneer

I would advice to wait before crafting anything, that dust could be useful for some decks in the near future, specially with so much wacky cards this expansion and so many good epics

I do think the Rogue Quest should be changed to all minions become 5/3

5/5s are too difficult for most classes to remove, especially when they're completing the quest in the first 5 or 6 turns. Don't even have time to draw into your removal, and if you did, there's a good chance you don't have the mana to use it yet. By that point, you're probably already dead.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I do think the Rogue Quest should be changed to all minions become 5/3

5/5s are too difficult for most classes to remove, especially when they're completing the quest in the first 5 or 6 turns. Don't even have time to draw into your removal, and if you did, there's a good chance you don't have the mana to use it yet. By that point, you're probably already dead.

All Minion attack are set to 5. Leave the HP what ever it was.

scarlet

I would advice to wait before crafting anything, that dust could be useful for some decks in the near future, specially with so much wacky cards this expansion and so many good epics

I'm spending all my gold this April for arena so I can get packs abd dust. Then start saving gold again from May.

Saving gold from February helped me a lot for this expansion.

Does the hero power trigger secrets?

Hero power? Galvadon is a minion, so yeah the secret works once it played.

Tomcat

Servant of Kalimos also doing work. I pulled Lyra from one and was surprised at the results. Still much work and refinement to do but rank 18-10 looking good. Dragon isnt dead boys

Deck list?

bunbun777

Having most fun in wild with my quest Reno deck. Also tried shaman elemental and when I faced another shaman elemental deck it was the most boring match in like 5000 games. Taunt warrior seems ok but not that great.

okay the the rogue quest is super wonky. Opponent mind controld my minion and it stayed a 5/5, fine you could argue that's how it's supposed to be but then I play swashburglar get a mirage caller and make a copy of my swashburglar and it's apparently a 1/1 that's a 5/5 that's a 1/1

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
any mulligan strats for rogue? Do I always save quest?

Dahbomb

Yeah its still needed because the top decks right now still abuse it. Now with Quest Rogue they can hit you for 15 with just 2 cards. It's getting absurd now.

Get lucky on a Dirty Rat pull.. and then lose when they draw the second copy of their bounce target. Ah well, we'll have to see how the meta shapes up. Deck is really strong now but not unbeatable, though it might be a bit too consistent atm.

Taunt Warrior can brawl and put 5/7+ taunts up. Handlock can Felfire Potion, twisting nether, Shadowflame, and put 5/7+ taunts up.

You have to aggressively clear the board so they have no 5/5s ready to go once the quest goes down and so that they have to rely on whatever they have from hand. From there you have to taunt up and grind them down with card advantage. They're still gonna be limited by poor draw and running out a chunk of their hand completing the quest + playing it. It's still a problem, especially when it draws well, but it's day 2 of this expansion. No sense getting pessimistic yet.

Good ideas/replies, thanks all. I think I was just shell-shocked. The first 3 Rogues I met all got the quest done within a few turns and then dropped a few 1-drops. A few more games and it does seem like they really had great draws, and Dirty Rat has helped counter this a bit too. Definitely need to withhold my pessimism for a few more days to let things shake up a bit.

Ripenen

This is why I refuse to spend money, just in case... especially with the price hike in the UK.

Fortunately for me I was just sitting on a bunch of gold so I didn't actually spend real money. I still have 4K or so left but for now I'm not bothering to open anymore packs. Probably have enough dust to craft some crap if I need it.

Mostly I'm just disappointed in how lame the warlock quest is because I like playing warlock.

Ripenen

Had a funny moment against a Warlock playing Cruel Dinomancer. The card kept resummoning a copy of itself because that was the only minion he had discarded that game. Basically became a 5/5 dreadsteed.

Grief.exe

I watched Dog's Quest Rogue get demolished 5 games in a row by a mid range paladin yesterday. It's too early to say whether the deck is OP, or if the meta is still too unrefined.

I know i should feel bad about playing Pirate Warrior with all these amazing new cards out, but i don't cause Blizzard decided to give 56 crappy packs with 2 legendaries that both sucked and i don't see myself wasting 16K dust until the meta settles.

Removing adventures was a mistake it gave you guaranteed value.

Ketch

I watched Dog's Quest Rogue get demolished 5 games in a row by a mid range paladin yesterday. It's too early to say whether the deck is OP, or if the meta is still too unrefined.

What does the midrange pally look like?

quest rogue is stupid strong. I just finished it on turn 3, coin to play spell on turn 4.

(they should change the name of the 1/2 elementals you get from the deathrattle minion so they're not the same as the ones you get from the 1 drop.)

V-Faction

I really appreciate the different aspects of the Rogue quest:

Cheap Value Minions:
~ Swashburgler
~ Novice Engineer
~ Firefly

Cheap Burst Minions:
~ Stonetusk Boar
~ Patches
~ Deckhand

Bounce:
~ Shadowstep
~ Gadgetzan Ferryman
~ Youthful Brewmaster

Draw:
~ Mimic Pod
~ Fan of Knives

Crystal Core Minions:
~ Moroes
~ Violet Teacher

They all work with one another and 'bounce' off of each other. It's really quite remarkable.

Majukun

so,how do quest card works'you ave to play them first and THEN complete the mission?or they become active after you have done what the card says?

aerogod 2.0

Neo Member
Deck list?

Crystalline Oracle x 2
Northshire Cleric x 2
Power Word: Shield x 2
Faerie Dragon
Netherspite Historian x 2
Radiant Elemental x 2
Volatile Elemental x 2
Igneous Elemental
Shadow Word: Death x 2
Thunder Lizard x 2
Drakonid Operative x 2
Holy Nova x 2
Kabal Songstealer x 2
Servant of Kalimos x 2
Dragonfire Potion x 2
Primordial Drake
Ysera

Still much room for refinement obviously and we have no idea what the meta will be days or weeks from now. I dont have Blazecaller, Lyra or many of the other cards but they could maybe take a spot in this deck.
Ysera might be too slow but shes won me a few games already after people burn their removal on the Operatives not expecting her.

I think Dragon/Elemental could be a solid tier 2 deck though when it all settles down

Dont sleep on Thunder Lizard though. Having a 3/6 coined out on turn 2 is really good.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
apparently primalfin totem has been consistently good on the murloc shaman decks...

Yeah, did people think it would be bad?

A lot of people have been reporting that they opened lots of duplicates.

I guess I will wait until I open my ~ 30 packs.

To me, it seemed like less duplicates than normal. I had a lot less dust after opening 50 packs compared to prior expansions.

sibarraz

Banned
Mage Quest is literally Shadowverse Runecraft, but I have most fun with mage, at least here I can still win without the giants.

It was funny to defear a jade druid which have on 4 turns 3 10+ jades

If they nerf rogue, they shouldn't touch the attack or hp, otherwise the card will be bad, it will be better if the made the conditions harder, like play 5-6 times the same minion or increase the cost of the reward.

But in the end of the day this deck isn't unstopable..yet, but a patches nerf could help

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Looking at reddit more, I think people are getting mad at "nothing". The spreads they are showing is the same as it has always been. I mean, I can see being upset at the odds, but they are nothing new.

Legendaries have a 5% chance per pack, which isn't that bad of odds when you compare it to a Gacha game or a physical card game.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Looking at reddit more, I think people are getting mad at "nothing". The spreads they are showing is the same as it has always been. I mean, I can see being upset at the odds, but they are nothing new.

Legendaries have a 5% chance per pack, which isn't that bad of odds when you compare it to a Gacha game or a physical card game.

It's definitely nothing strengthened by the fact that msog had an actual glitch so people think that is possible.

Top Bottom