• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

aku:jiki

It'll be interesting to see if MS reacts to HW being spread like wildfire right now.

(Especially if they figure out that the "leak" came from PlayXBLA - someone sent a friend request to them when they were streaming it, hit join in progress and got the download prompt.)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
It'll be interesting to see if MS reacts to HW being spread like wildfire right now.

(Especially if they figure out that the "leak" came from PlayXBLA - someone sent a friend request to them when they were streaming it, hit join in progress and got the download prompt.)

Game is out on Friday, I'm sure they don't care about a few people getting in early.

I wonder if it's actually the first videogame ever to be released virally

Syriel

Ooh, nice DOTW. All games I passed on and waited for sale (except SSF2HDR), so I guess I'm getting all of them. Looking forward to revisiting SF3, haven't played that since it came out on PS2.

Yes, but in the eyes of someone who likes all forms of FPS gaming but prefers MP (i.e. me), it's not. 2400MSP is a ripoff and it's not an accident that they packaged the MP with the expansion.

According to the PR rep, MP was bundled with the expansion (rather than the base game) due to the XBLA file size limits.

SS3 is an interesting release because it is a full retail title (and a recent one at that) on the PC. Seeing it for $15 on XBLA (even $30 for base + MP + DLC) is still cheaper than retail PC at most shops.

How often does *that* happen?

acm2000

as a note for those wanting an invite, you MUST be online, accept the persons friend request, and then they can "invite to game" allowing you to download

aku:jiki

Holy shit, Happy Wars has the worst matchmaking I've ever seen. It seems like no two people who have a moderate NAT (like myself) can connect to each other, which is normal and fine, but the game then decides that both people should get booted out. WTF is that? I was in a lobby first, boot the other guy and let him find another one. This is just turning into endless cycles of trying over and over and over, with him doing the same thing, meaning neither of us get to play until the other gives up or ends up in another match.

Why can't the game do what every other game does - pick a host and let him be the funnel for all the various connection types? This game is going to be unplayable tomorrow when everyone's on it.

Daigoro

you should really figure out a way to open that NAt type. multiplayer gaming can be such a drag on 360 with a closed or moderate nat.

Vert boil

Few release dates announce recently,

Serious Sam 3 is coming October 17th.

Pid is coming October 31st for 800msp.

Toejam and Earl (1 & 2) are coming November 7th for 800msp.

Warlords is coming November 14th for 800msp.

Guardians of Middle Earth is coming out in early December for 1200msp. It will have a season pass as well.

Hell Yeah! is getting some DLC (either on the 23rd or 24th Oct),

Pimp My Rabbit - 240msp
Drill skin and mask pack. Some from other Sega games.

The Virtual Rabbit Missions - 400msp
50 challenges, 3 hours of content.

where's retro city rampage? bloody hell, I just don't understand how they can give those games release slots but not retro. is there something more going on behind the scenes? the microsoft logo was missing from the launch trailer.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Few release dates announce recently,

Serious Sam 3 is coming October 17th.

Pid is coming October 31st for 800msp.

Toejam and Earl (1 & 2) are coming November 7th for 800msp.

Warlords is coming November 11th for 800msp.

Guardians of Middle Earth is coming out in early December for 1200msp. It will have a season pass as well.

Hell Yeah! is getting some DLC (either on the 23rd or 24th Oct),

Pimp My Rabbit - 240msp
Drill skin and mask pack. Some from other Sega games.

The Virtual Rabbit Missions - 400msp
50 challenges, 3 hours of content.
I was wondering about Warlords. I played that at E3 almost two years ago.

Wait a minute, that release date is for 2010. Good grief. Should be November 14. And it's out on PSN today. I think Sony might get my money this round.

Vert boil

Wait a minute, that release date is for 2010. Good grief. Should be November 14. And it's out on PSN today. I think Sony might get my money this round.

woops, yep the 14th is the correct date. Must have misread going between different date formats.

I remember the Giant Bomb guys did a quick look of it a long time ago, it came up in conversation not that long ago and I'd just assumed it somehow slipped out ages ago.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I you have PS3, go try out Warlords Demo now! It's not too bad at all, I kinda like it. Gameplay feels fun, I think the updated ideas are solid enough, but with the 6 or so other PSN games that came out on that or Vita that day, it seems 100% overshadowed.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I you have PS3, go try out Warlords Demo now! It's not too bad at all, I kinda like it. Gameplay feels fun, I think the updated ideas are solid enough, but with the 6 or so other PSN games that came out on that or Vita that day, it seems 100% overshadowed.
The two Odama fans out there are going to go nuts for Warlords.

Vert boil

Released today,

boxartlg.jpg

Happy Wars - Free (Gold membership needed), 445MB. |OT|

Pool Nation - 800msp Failed cert, coming out Oct 31st now.

jgkspsx

I got Swarm for 200 allards, and enjoy it a lot more than I expected. At least I did until the third level, where I can only get 250K out of 400K needed to progress. What am I doing wrong?

Vert boil

Happy Wars went up over night but no sign of Pool nation.

If you are a PR, publisher or dev bod and you have a game coming soon to XBLA you really should mention this when you are in contact with MS. This needs to be sorted out.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I got Swarm for 200 allards, and enjoy it a lot more than I expected. At least I did until the third level, where I can only get 250K out of 400K needed to progress. What am I doing wrong?

When you first start Swarm, you feel like the point of the game is to keep your guys alive, while taking a slow pace through the level and picking up loot.

It's not. Having a Swarmite die both resets the combo clock AND contributes to your score and multiplier. You should be rushing through levels as fast as possible and trying to full-combo the level. If you aren't in an area where you can pick up loot, sacrifice Swarmites to keep the chain going--remember, it's okay because when you get to the regeneration spots, you'll get more Swarmites anyway.

Vert boil

Is Happy wars free to play but with microtransactions or you have to pay to unlock more of it? I don't like it when games do that.

F2P with microtransactions. Everything is unlocked apart from SP story mission that are unlocked by you increasing your level rank in-game.

You buy Happy Tickets which can be used instead of Happy Stars (the other currency you get from playing the game) or to buy items. They help you level items faster and get better gear that can give you an advantage but it doesn't break the game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I need me a good chill game, any good simulations on XBLA? Farming, business owning, something in that vain.

Outpost Kaloki X is a light Space Station Sim

A Kingdom for Keflings / A World for Keflings are both relaxing base-builders--basically the resource management components of an RTS game with no conflict or military component.

So funny in happy wars we were being dominated and everyone was defending/attacking the castle so i slip away and got all the towers and ended up winning the match for us

Noogy

Outpost Kaloki X is a light Space Station Sim

A Kingdom for Keflings / A World for Keflings are both relaxing base-builders--basically the resource management components of an RTS game with no conflict or military component.

I second Outpost Kaloki. It was one of the first XBLA games I felt had real depth, but retaining streamlined controls. Been a while since I played it though, so not sure how it holds up.

I second Outpost Kaloki. It was one of the first XBLA games I felt had real depth, but retaining streamlined controls. Been a while since I played it though, so not sure how it holds up.

I should really go back to this. I got 10GS on it seven years ago and never really got anywhere with it. There always seemed to be another game just slightly ahead of it on my to-play list.

(Smooth Operators on XBLIG is a pretty awesome chilled out sim game, by the way).

hayguyz

Banned

So what's the objective in Keflings if there's no combat? I've only played the demo for a short time and made some buildings.

Top Bottom