• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overcooked Special Edition finally hitting the Switch this week

joker3782

Neo Member
Yaaaaay. After playing Death squared and snipperclips with my group of friends, I needed a new 4 player co-op game on my switch. Cannot wait for the shouting and screaming thrown around when shit gets intense.

killroy87

I picked this game up on PS4, honestly didn't get the appeal. It's hard as balls, and I never felt like the controls were that accurate (I felt like I was constantly maneuvering myself to be in just the right spot to pick something up or put it down).

Good idea for a game, but I never really saw it as the holy grail of local multiplayer that some did.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hear the co-op for this is great.

I have a strange fascination for 'co-op but really competitive' multiplayer games. This, Snipperclips, Lovers in a dangerous spacetime, Keep talking and nobody explodes. All 'cooperative' but require so much verbal coordination that it inevitably turns into a bloodbath.

Have this on PS4 but have more controllers on Switch (Assuming you can play each person on one joycon which should be fine). Tempting.. switch turning into quite the couch co-op machine.

I picked this game up on PS4, honestly didn't get the appeal. It's hard as balls, and I never felt like the controls were that accurate (I felt like I was constantly maneuvering myself to be in just the right spot to pick something up or put it down).

Good idea for a game, but I never really saw it as the holy grail of local multiplayer that some did.

Same with Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. I have to think the slightly clumsy controls are deliberate - keeps your concentration on navigating your player, so you aren't able to focus so much on talking - which leads to lovely arguing.

I need it. Ahhhhhh video games 2017 is gonna bankrupt me. I've been waiting for the Switch ports of this and Kingdom: Two Crowns. I've played both games on different systems.
Overcooked is definitely worth the buy. Co-op and Competitive modes are hilarious and challenging, but I wouldn't play SP ever.

*Internally screaming*

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
This is the cooking game everyone was excited over at the Switch Indie Direct, right?

The wife loved Diner Dash way back in the day, so I might give this a download.

IMACOMPUTA

Dammit. I bought this on a PSN sale around Christmas or something and never got around to playing it. Now I want it on switch.

I'm ashamed of myself.

mas8705

Ironically, this is the kind of game that would probably strive further on Switch. Get a few controllers and enjoy the chaos. ^_^

BTA

Two will be fine. I played it both 2-player and 4-player and it was tons of fun regardless. It's only not great if you try it solo.

I'd also note that going with 3 players can actually be unfair, since some levels split you up in a way that the third player really can't do much to help even though the quotas still scale up. Best to keep it to 2 or 4 if you can.

My family had a great time with it on PS4, even though we somehow played the entire game + DLC without realizing how to dash and a good 2/3 of it before realizing my mom wasn't ever letting the analog stick rest. It seems like a great fit for the Switch and Joycons.

You all are in for a treat!

Tips
  • 4-player is chaotic but the most fun, but 2-player is probably the easiest way to pass levels. 3-player is fine as well, but I found 2 or 4 players the best since many levels split.
  • Don't even think about playing this alone. It's really designed for local co-op.
  • You don't have to repeatedly press the chopping button or hold it down. Just press it once.
  • You can use a button to scoot around quicker--be careful not to knock other people around (unless you want to)!
  • For stuff that's about to overcook but you don't have all the ingredients in yet, you can pull it off the stove and put it on the counter until you're ready.
  • Look at the picture of the level before it starts and strategize with your partners on how you will approach the level; who will go where, who teams up with who, and who does what.

Warning: Be careful playing with people easily frustrated--unless of course you enjoy laughing at them and vice versa!

Mossybrew

It scales with more, as I recall. Two is baseline, and fun enough.

I can only imagine a full group to be utter chaos.

Yeah I've only played 2 and 3 player but it definitely got harder with 3, I can only imagine 4.

Super fun couch co-op game though, easy to learn the basics, but having that successful co-ordination with your fellow players can be tough.

Look at the picture of the level before it starts and strategize with your partners on how you will approach the level; who will go where and who teams up with who and who does what.

Generally our first attempt at each level we wouldn't even try to beat it, just get an idea what was going on, make some basic strategies, then restart.

Clauss

This game is SO much fun. Some of the best couch co-op I've played in a really long time. I can't wait to have this on the go! Day 1.

Souzetsu

I've been waiting for this to release on Switch. I've played it on PC with friends and had a blast. This will be much easier considering we have way more Switch controllers and less fiddling with PC controller issues or lugging a case around.

Marcoos

Fantastic news! I was so close to pulling the trigger on it in the PSN Summer Sale. Glad I held off now, think this will feel more right on the Switch.

Fantastic news! I was so close to pulling the trigger on it in the PSN Summer Sale. Glad I held off now, think this will feel more right on the Switch.

It felt pretty good on the PS4.

Definitely going to double dip on the Switch version. Everyone I played this game with loved it. It's an amazing example of co op done right.

Buzzing for this. Do we know eShop prices for other countries? Interested in seeing whether it's cheaper on the South African store like Splatoon 2 was.

Also, do we know the download size?

Marcoos

Buzzing for this. Do we know eShop prices for other countries? Interested in seeing whether it's cheaper on the South African store like Splatoon 2 was.

Also, do we know the download size?

That's what I'm going to hold out for, the price on the South African store. It tends to be always cheaper than here in the UK.

Can't see download size being too big. The PS4 holiday bundle is 575mb, as a comparison

Ah man the game looks really interesting, I love cooking, but after seeing people say that solo isn't the best....probably have to pass :(

Tntnico

I assume that the game doesn't support multi console local multiplayer ? :(
So maybe no double dip for me.

Picked this up when it went live, haven't had a chance to play it yet but I'm hoping to get some 2 player in today and 4 player in tomorrow.

Hopefully the framerate holds up - it looked decent in the Videogamer footage at least.

Top Bottom