• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Pre-Order Trailer (out August 15th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rlan

Love that low poly aethetic.

Been posting a bunch on Sonic The Hedgeblog.

tumblr_okdtz7TXwv1w1kerio1_500.gif

tumblr_ojmxcaQQNa1w1kerio1_500.gif

AGU2lY6.gif

Celcius

°Temp. member
Sonic the Hedgehog is such a weird series.
It's been so bad for so long, it's kind of unprecedented in gaming.
No other series I can think of has lasted this long while making mostly bad game after bad game.
Maybe the WWE games. But even thats not quite the same.

Even if this game is good, can it really turn round the runaway train that has been off the track for decades?

It can either be an amazing blip on a long trail of bad releases, or it can be the beginning of the next generation of amazing Sonic games.

Metal-Geo

Love that low poly aethetic.

*delicious low poly Sonic gifs*

Aww shit son, I’m feeling the sunshine.

edit: wait, you’re behind the sonicthehedgeblog tumblr? Together with supper mario broth they’re my favorite tumblr feeds to check.

No other series I can think of has lasted this long while making mostly bad game after bad game.

Even if this game is good, can it really turn round the runaway train that has been off the track for decades?

It would depend on sales and whether SEGA listens.

This is why I am telling anyone who will listen about the game.

For some odd reason, some people just think it is the first three games.
Honestly my siblings think that it's just a greatest hits of all three games. They're not interested in it cause they said that they could play the first three games in their entirety all on their phone.

Honestly my siblings think that it's just a greatest hits of all three games. They're not interested in it cause they said that they could play the first three games in their entirety all on their phone.

There is definitely a misperception out there. They really need to stress the new content better somehow to people not currently paying attention.

Blue-kun

Have you only played Sonic 2006 and Sonic Boom ever since Sonic 3 & Knuckles?

Not sure if this has been posted yet but here's a clean screenshot of the special stage

DFgm2e9XgAAZXv1.jpg:large

I love how low-poly and jaggy it looks. It could have actually been on the Saturn

Duuuuude, is that Sonic's 3D model from Sonic R?

It's only a silly little touch, but man that makes me even more excited for this game.

Nah. I'm viewing this game the same way I did Mega Man 9. One last hurrah. If they make more like it afterwards (like Mega Man 10), great. But I'm not expecting it.

Sami+

Not until SEGA fully gives Sonic to people who actually care and are talented. Sonic Team and the people in charge of them are the problem.

It was shown as a boss in Studiopolis in the pre-order trailer. Not sure if it was a mini boss or regular boss.

Wondering if the Hard Boiled Heavies will act as bosses for the original zones, while Eggman takes the classic zones.

Ah, exactly as I remembered. Thanks!

This may very be the case. I wonder if the Heavies have names?

RomanceDawn

While playing a couple days ago I noticed that Knuckles had brand new super fast running animation in the same way that Sonic does when his hands get thrown back. Is there footage of this anywhere? Knuckles didn't throw his arms back but his feet wheeling did change and I want to see it again.

Speaking of has anyone noticed any new animations regarding Tails when he runs super fast?

RomanceDawn

Atrarock

Trailer upload was 30fps, game is 60 yeah
The video itself is a 30fps, but everything else in the video is at least 24fps which is why all of the gameplay footage looks so choppy.

A little bit of editing would allow the animations to still be at 24fps with the gameplay still being shown at 60fps. I actually want to turn that into a small project later just to prove it once the game officially drops.

MrBadger

After Mania comes out they should give 3D Sonic to the indie devs of projects like Sonic Utopia and Green Hill Paradise Act 2.

Once those devs prove that they can work to contract and deliver a finished game, sure. Let's all remember that the Mania team aren't just a bunch of fans with no professional experience.

For me, the best case scenario is this team getting more work and bigger budgets, so we can have a series of decent 2D games alongside the mediocre 3D ones, like how it was in the Advance/Rush days

I'm not really sure if there's anything Sonic Team can learn from Mania, in fact I don't think I'm alone in thinking that they need to stop trying to do Classic Sonic gameplay, now that we have a team that's doing it right.

Lynd7

No but there has a been a shit ton more awful Sonic games than just Boom and 2006 over the last 10 years or so.

I think its unfair to say that. Unleashed came out in 07 and while it was a little rough in places, it was a pretty good game.

- Secret of the Rings (Ok)
- Unleashed (Good)
- Black Knight (Bad)
- Colors (Good)
- Generations (Good)
- Lost World (Pretty good/misunderstood?)
- Boom (Bad)
- Forces (Could be good)

Honestly Sonic hasn't been really bad for over ten years. You could even discount Boom as its a weird side offering from a Western dev.

I can see the dev team making a Mania sequel then moving on. As much as they love Sonic, I can't imagine any of them want to be stuck making iterations of the same franchise forever. Coincidentally, I think that's why Sonic Team keeps trying to change things up. Taking what people like from one game and making it again and again might result in better games but it's creatively limiting.

This.
Sonic Team is stuck, they are fed up doing Sonic and rightly so.

NZerker12

Seeing all these low poly Sonic models makes me wish we can get a new sonic in the style of Sonic World from gameplay to graphics. Unfortunately that will certainly never happen.

Seeing all these low poly Sonic models makes me wish we can get a new sonic in the style of Sonic World from gameplay to graphics. Unfortunately that will certainly never happen.
Gameplay? Idk about that. Graphics tho? If they can make it work I'd be in if they concocted something fun to play

Tizoc

Real talk
Sonic boom fire and ice is a decent 2d platformer

Sega's been killin it this year-
Yakuza 0 and 1k, sonic mania, bayonetta and vanquish
Such a great year ToT

hodgy100

I think its unfair to say that. Unleashed came out in 07 and while it was a little rough in places, it was a pretty good game.

- Secret of the Rings (Ok)
- Unleashed (Good)
- Black Knight (Bad)
- Colors (Good)
- Generations (Good)
- Lost World (Pretty good/misunderstood?)
- Boom (Bad)
- Forces (Could be good)

Honestly Sonic hasn't been really bad for over ten years. You could even discount Boom as its a weird side offering from a Western dev.

As a massive fan of the franchise I really think you are being too kind to it.

- Sonic Adventure ( Good for its time Aged Terribly )
- Sonic Adventure 2 ( Good for its time Aged Terribly )
- Sonic Heroes (Mediocre)
- Shadow the Hedgehog (Bad)
- Sonic 06 (Bad)
- Secret of the Rings (OK)
- Unleashed (Mediocre)
- Black Knight (Bad)
- Colors (Good)
- Generations (Great)
- Lost World (OK)
- Boom (Bad)

Theres a case for Unleashed being amazing in places, but you judge games as a whole not by their best bits, especially when the best bits only make up ~1/4 of the game

RockmanBN

Hmm.

Heavy Gunner
Heavy Ninja (shuriken?)
Heavy Wizard (top hat?)
Heavy Knight (mace?)
Heavy King (saloon portrait?)

Perhaps this is close?

Gunner is Studiopolis.
King seems like it will be in Mirage Saloon.
The Cathedral stage night go with Mace Robo because aren't Maxed used in religion?
If the Cherry Blossom stage is true then Shuriken Robo goes to that stage.
Finally that leaves the Top Hat Robo. I hope he resembles a Show Magician so we can get a magic themes stage.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
do we have any idea of how saves/ lives work in this game?

i want modern accessibility in a solid 2d platformer before my flight at the end of august

Well, we do know the Heavy in the post above is called "Heavy Gunner". So Heavy ____(and their function), seems likely to be the case.

Will we have a Silva Gunner, though?

Edit: I didn't see this posted anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z-JhQmoFWQ&t=214s

Tee Lopes posted this as a fun project, but he's been favoriting and pinning comments saying "Unlockable Genesis Soundfont in Mania" on multiple sites. I hope it's true because this is freaking KILLER.

What platform are you guys getting this for and why?

Personally I'll probably end up going Switch for portability, hopefully all versions run at the same resolution, have no issues, etc.

Will definitely double dip if a physical version is announced.

As a massive fan of the franchise I really think you are being too kind to it.

- Sonic Adventure ( Good for its time Aged Terribly )
- Sonic Adventure 2 ( Good for its time Aged Terribly )
- Sonic Heroes (Mediocre)
- Shadow the Hedgehog (Bad)
- Sonic 06 (Bad)
- Secret of the Rings (OK)
- Unleashed (Mediocre)
- Black Knight (Bad)
- Colors (Good)
- Generations (Great)
- Lost World (OK)
- Boom (Bad)

Theres a case for Unleashed being amazing in places, but you judge games as a whole not by their best bits, especially when the best bits only make up ~1/4 of the game

Unleashed mediocre? Naa. Maybe not your style but nothing in Unleashed is mediocre. Good at least.

Tizoc

Personally I'll probably end up going Switch for portability, hopefully all versions run at the same resolution, have no issues, etc.

I am getting it on Steam and PS4

hodgy100

Unleashed mediocre? Naa. Maybe not your style but nothing in Unleashed is mediocre. Good at least.

The Werehog is massively mediocre and uninspired and it makes up the majority of the game. The game structure with the Hub also makes no sense considering what sonic is supposed to be and its clearly there just to be filler. you end up with just 1/4 of the game being amazing (the daytime stages)

marmoka

Banned

I was considering to get it for PS4, but due to personal circumstances, I won't be able to play with it until October. I can only play it portably, so finally for Switch.

Berordn

The Werehog is massively mediocre and uninspired and it makes up the majority of the game. The game structure with the Hub also makes no sense considering what sonic is supposed to be and its clearly there just to be filler. you end up with just 1/4 of the game being amazing (the daytime stages)

I think you're giving the scope of the hub a little undue credit, I wouldn't really call speeding through those small sections half the game.

You're right though, outside of day stages everything is half-baked or unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom