• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What "simple things" can't you do?

- Dance
- Whistle with fingers (though I finally learned how to whistle normally at I think the age of 26)
- Keep conversations going with anyone I don't know extremely well, flirt, or make new friends easily
-Cook by intuition vs. following steps precisely (just not enough practice)
-Remember street names (cam barely remember the major ones where I live, I guess I just drive by memory, landmarks, or GPS)

Seirith

Yeah, same with swimming too. That's taught to nearly everyone here in primary school.

I mean, I couldn't imagine enjoying a summer vacation or trip if I didn't know how to swim.

I am terrified of water deeper than a hot tub. I had swim lessons during the summer as a kid which I failed and I had swimming in school which I got a D- minus in. I was terrified and could not do most things I was required to do. I spent most of the class in the shallow end with a few friends who also hated water.

My mother is also terrified of water, so we never went on swimming vacations.

shaneo632

I can swim but I suck at treading water. Like if I go to a water park, my pals will swim to the deep end and just tread water for days but because there's not enough room to safely lie on my back I have to keep moving or start panicking.

Seirith

I can't ride a bike or whistle.

I'm also absolutely terrible with remembering names, you and me can be best buds for years, but when you randomly walk up to me or just during a convo or something, I almost always forget.

Usually it goes something like this

Like I just forget completely who that person is, it's even worse in things like Discord because I could be talking with 4+ People and I keep jumbling their names up.

I am the same with names. I use to work in a mental health treatment apartment program with 65 clients plus about 20 staff. A client would walk in and ask for their counselor and I would go back say "hey counselor whoever, someone wants to talk to you...them "who is it?" Me: uhhh... ummm... a guy...I can't remember their name.. It was seriously annoying.

I can't explain why I like something, or even clearly put thoughts into words in general. I can sit down and write it, but just getting words out on the fly is difficult for me. I don't stutter or have any speech issues, nor do I suffer with a lack of vocabulary. I'm just bad at clearly expressing myself. This leads to a cycle of me not even wanting to bother trying, meaning I don't improve on it and in turn am probably getting even worse with time.

Real life man. God damn is this real life for me.

For me. I cannot type on a fucking touch screen smartphone. I mess up so fucking bad and so fucking often that I get frustrated as shit.
Swipe is a little bit better but not by a whole lot.

kendrid

Banned
I can't roll my tongue, but that is genetic so maybe it doesn't count.

I can't whistle. I am shocked how many people here are saying the same, I thought I was odd for not being able to.

Something that you would nominally think every cismale on the planet would just sorta know how to do.

I also have a frustrating difficulty with names. If a person is actively relevant in my life, then fine, but I've already forgotten most of my classmates from secondary school - and the surnames for the rest - because they're just not there anymore. I can't even remember people from my previous placements when that'd be damned useful for references.

I can't explain why I like something, or even clearly put thoughts into words in general. I can sit down and write it, but just getting words out on the fly is difficult for me. I don't stutter or have any speech issues, nor do I suffer with a lack of vocabulary. I'm just bad at clearly expressing myself. This leads to a cycle of me not even wanting to bother trying, meaning I don't improve on it and in turn am probably getting even worse with time.
Real life man. God damn is this real life for me.

Are you saying that you like that post?

Accoun

Aside from a lot of already mentioned things - is putting screen protectors on considered simple? I could never put one on properly, without air bubbles or cracking it.

Not being flippant this time. I've got adult kids with this problem. I wish I could just wave a wand, but I can't. PM me if you like.
Lol thanks I may be exaggerating a bit

I'm mostly asocial and don't go out meeting people, but I can talk okay with friends and what not.

Remember to eat

Lol for me when I have the slightest tummy rumble "whelp time to shove a disgusting amount of food on my mouth"

I never really had to fast for an extended period until my current job, with a lunch in the middle of a 12 hour period, plus not eating breakfast usually means 10-11 hours without eating. And I somehow survive

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Still can't snap my fingers. I follow the directions exactly, but never get any sound out of it.

I can't whistle with any of the techniques that involve your fingers

6c56f0440d914f9093792d3a701844b9---life-hacks-lifehacks.jpg

Same. Like how do you fucking do this.

Azzanadra

I can't see properly apparently, I have amblyopia (lazy eye) which means I lack depth perception and can't see things in three dimensions... or at least that's what the internet tells me. Was thinking of making a thread on this actually...

Kas

I can't make an omelette to save my life. I can cook many more advanced things, but a fucking omelette kicks my ass any time.

And the Vulcan finger thing. Cant do that either.

Lol thanks I may be exaggerating a bit

I'm mostly asocial and don't go out meeting people, but I can talk okay with friends and what not.

I'm relieved to hear that you have friends. My entire family is somewhat asocial. It's not an issue for me as an ancient bugger having family and all, but I know it's somewhat painful when you're younger.

daTRUballin

I can't roll my tounge properly for the life of me despite growing up in a Russian speaking family.

I also can't swim or whistle. And I've only just learned how to drive a car earlier this year at 19/20 years old. Also, my whole life I've been taking baths instead of showers. I've only just started taking showers last month like every other human being.

Basically, I'm a loser.

Chuckie

This probably isn't a problem on your end.
Some of those are just inexplicably terrible at slicing cheese.

They look like all other cheese slicers, but they are useless. It is truly one of life's great mysteries.

I like you. Thanks for making me feel better.

But I know the truth. Back in the day...when I still lived with me parents, my mum, my dad and my little brother could use the slicer without problem, yet when I used it the cheese looked like a victim of Chucky (which coincidentally was my nickname in high school)

And I've only just learned how to drive a car earlier this year at 19/20 years old.

I learned it about a year ago at 39 :p

resizepicture.php

This is the "standard" method.

shoelace-1.jpg

This is "bunny ears". The difference is you make two loops and tie them instead of wraping lace around one and passing it through. More people do the standard, mostly because it lasts longer before becoming untied. Bunny ears is easier for kids to learn though, so it's useful in that regard.

I only know bunny ears and I hate it because my shoe laces get untied all the time. I’m incapable of learning the “standard method” (;_;)

That’s why I prefer slip-ons as much as possible.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Please learn how to swim. It can save your life and maybe others.

I grew up in a beach town in Los Angeles, so bike riding and swimming were like most of summers during childhood. No adult supervision other than lifeguards.

Djostikk

I'm stuttering and have speech problems so it's hard for me to talk to people, especially to big audience. I don't know how to fight it.

Top Bottom