• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What "simple things" can't you do?

Van Bur3n

resizepicture.php

This is the "standard" method.

shoelace-1.jpg

This is "bunny ears". The difference is you make two loops and tie them instead of wraping lace around one and passing it through. More people do the standard, mostly because it lasts longer before becoming untied. Bunny ears is easier for kids to learn though, so it's useful in that regard.

Oh hell, nevermind. I've only ever done the standard way then. But admittedly, it took me a long while to learn how to tie my shoes compared to most.

Rad-

resizepicture.php

This is the "standard" method.

shoelace-1.jpg

This is "bunny ears". The difference is you make two loops and tie them instead of wraping lace around one and passing it through. More people do the standard, mostly because it lasts longer before becoming untied. Bunny ears is easier for kids to learn though, so it's useful in that regard.

This is the proper way though:

1104535.gif

Chuckie

It is really only designed for a certain type of hard cheese, the ones with the plasticy consistency that means it will still hold together. A decent Cheddar will fall apart using one.

I can't whistle or click my fingers.

I know man. But I can't use it on the cheese it was designed for either.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I can't fucking juggle.
I don't fucking get it, how do you do it? Do you just like throw the shit up and catch it? Or do you just toss em around from hand to hand? Shit man I can't coordinate throwing something while catching something else, that's fucking hard.

Oberon

Banned
I don't recognize people unless they're like 5m or closer to me. So I mistake random people with people I know all the time
It also takes me a second to remember what months is in what order.
Also texting people.

Drive.

I got a license somehow after a few tries but I'm just fucking horrible at it. Terrible eyesight. I drive too slow, can't park without bumping into other cars and I've destroyed my rearview mirrors I don't know how many times, lol. Never been in or have caused an accident though, thankfully, but when I realized just how bad I was I sold my car, I don't want to be a danger to anyone.

Tie my shoelaces the standard way.

I've always did the "Bunny Ears" method at its most basic form and I never had the motivation to learn the standard. It gets the job done, anyways.

Volimar

I can't open my eyes under water. I try but the sensation against my eyes is so uncomfortable that I just can't do it.

Regiruler

Remembering names is hard for me, names of women harder on average.

Edit: I'm pretty sure practice can improve most things posted in this thread.

Can't swim. Friends tried to teach me several times but it never worked out. Then again I never really took it seriously enough. Will definitely learn properly one day.

I can whistle really well but without fingers only.

Ishan

Guess this is not quite valid but I cant aim for nuts on fps on controllers ... Got too used to PC .... I'm so bad at controllers aiming

ptown

I remember a time in grade school when the entire class was asked to whistle and I knew I couldn't so I just puckered my lips and pretended while others whistled.

Not being able to do "simple" things I get easily embarrassed. I realize I lived the majority of my life dreading when I might be asked of doing whichever "simple" thing I don't understand at all or vaguely.

Unit 33

I couldn't swim until about 2 years ago, when I gave it ago in the sea.

I managed to avoid the mandatory swimming lessons as a kid by crashing another 'more enjoyable' classes like cricket or cross country.

It's never too late to learn!

I can't drive.
I guess I can't smoke, I literally wouldn't know what to do with a cigarette.

Monocle

Good news: this isn't simple or common in today's world.

I can't tell my left from right without putting some serious thought into it.
If you mean this literally, maybe try a visual memory device?

Fix a weird picture in your mind like the right side of your body crusted over with rock, and recall the picture with a phrase like "right is rocky." Practice making a fist with your right hand to remind yourself.

I got swimming lessons as a teen but have forgotten things like the front-crawl and a few other strokes. Tbh when I did go swimming more often I hated the front-crawl because I was terrible at regulating my breathing between strokes and would feel sick at the end of a length. I go swimming occasionally but I know my form with other strokes is all wrong, anyone here take basic adult swimming lessons?

I'm not afraid of the pool or the deep-end or anything but I know I need to get the basics down again.

Also I can't ride a bike

Daffy Duck

Get an idea of distance.

Example, if I play golf I couldn't tell you how far the flag was from the ball on a fairway.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'm 30 and have never learned how to drive (like a lot of people ITT as it turns out) or how to be a regular fucking person.

I can read an analogue clock, but it takes me a moment to 'switch gears' into the right headspace to do it, I guess, and I'm really embarrassed by it. I wish I could just look at a clock and have it be like, bam, seven forty five, but instead I have to stare at it for a second or two while my mind is completely blank, then gradually I see, "OK, the big hand is there, the little hand is there, and that makes... seven forty five".

Also I guess this isn't a simple thing for an English speaker, but I'm learning Japanese and I have real trouble saying multiple Japanese 'r' sounds in a row, particularly the passive form. One or two Japanese 'r's is fine, but a word like "忘れられる", for example, is my tongue's nightmare.

*Splinter

God yes, I have little desire to Smalltalk and quite bad at it when I do.

People sometimes probably think I'm either aloof or rude but those that know me just know that's my way. I genuinely care a lot
This

And whistling.

But mostly the small talk thing.

lunchtoast

I have a difficult time pronouncing "R's". It's a speech impediment and I spent a while in speech therapy trying to fix it when I was younger. I'm usually good with it nowadays, but I make the occasional fuck up and get stupidly embarrassed.

Sometimes is slips for me too. Saying "Rear Wheel" is difficult.

Top Bottom