• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. Confidential was released 20 years this week

Dalek

la_confidential.jpg
I saw this in theaters on opening day and it blew my mind. This film deserves the Academy Award of 1997-and this still holds up today. I didn't see many articles celebreating it's anniversary this year, but here's a good one:

Why LA Confidential is Hollywood's last great noir

t’s appropriate that 1997's LA Confidential begins with the most cynical sales pitch committed to film:

“Come to Los Angeles! The sun shines bright, the beaches are wide and inviting, and the orange groves stretch as far as the eye can see. There are jobs aplenty, and land is cheap. Every working man can have his own house, and inside every house, a happy, all-American family. You can have all this, and who knows...yo
u could even be discovered, become a movie star... or at least see one.”

“That’s what they tell you anyway” says Danny DeVito, to finish his voiceover. You don’t need to know that he’s playing a blackmail-fond showbiz hack to understand that the Californian glamour has to come at a price. It's money we've always been willing to put up, at least in fiction. Few places have so willingly basked in their shadow to tell exciting stories, and only LA can turn a profit on it. As a genre, noir could reach its potential without having to leave Los Angeles County.

We were already familiar with the city's underbelly thanks to adaptations of Raymond Chandler, and films such as Double Indemnity and In A Lonely Place. These films “settled” as a period between the 1920s and the 1950s, in time to be revisited in 1974 by Roman Polanski’s Chinatown. Robert Towne’s script set the detective story against a background of the process through which Los Angeles became a modern city, with water crises and new immigrant populations. What could have been a simple pastiche exercise became something else, but still looked part of a tradition.

Even so, Chinatown’s formula was difficult to replicate (as its own 1990 sequel demonstrated), or feel authentic and worthy of the period setting. As time went on, the “concrete jungle” offered new types of stories - riots and the crack epidemic instead of sleuthing and feel-bad romanticism.

Contemporary neo-noir was the closest descendant but its directors were determined to escape the LA of the past: Michael Mann’s Heat (1995) shot the city in a stark ahead-of-its-time manner, blues and greys and modern architecture. From the same year, David Fincher’s Se7en was filmed in LA, but its story kept the city’s location anonymous for the purpose of atmosphere. There was no great demand for romanticism about Los Angeles, and even if there was, how much of the “old” city was available for filming? If that were possible, what was there left to express, beyond nostalgia?

The director Curtis Hanson was aware of this when he first became interested in adapting James Ellroy’s 1990 novel, LA Confidential. But the nature of modern Los Angeles acted not as a repulsing force, but as a reason for him to persevere.

While Chinatown had alluded to the social cost of turning LA into a modern city, Hanson believed the construction process was ongoing, and that Ellroy’s novel supported that view. Unlike any other metropolis, Los Angeles had a “manufactured image...sent out over the airwaves to get everybody to come there.”

People who fell for the siren song might have tolerated not getting talent-scouted, if they still got to live in prosperity in California; but as Curtis said, “the truth of [the opening voiceover] was literally being destroyed to make way for all the people that were coming there looking for it. It was being bulldozed into oblivion.”

And for so many people, that is when crime became a way out, or entered involuntarily into their lives. A message about the evolution of the American dream's Californian version would make old Los Angeles worth visiting again. LA Confidential would, Hanson hoped, show where the rot started.

Much of the film’s success was down to luck, and not even in a pejorative sense. Having to satisfy the visions of both the original author and Warner Bros before production was a challenge that could only reasonably be met with the assistance of good fortune. Luckily for Hanson, he was joined in assembling the script by Brian Helgeland. Helgeland’s enthusiasm for Ellroy’s crime novels had made him lobby his way into the job ahead of better-known screenwriters. Luckily again, both men agreed on how they should structure the story.

This confidence was going to be needed. Helgeland’s background was mostly in writing horror films, but making L.A. Confidential filmable would involve an even greater act of on-page dismemberment. James Ellroy’s novel was just under 500 pages, but it was not a regular 500. This was a writer who had once excised verbs from a manuscript to meet his publisher’s page limit; who referred to himself unironically as the greatest crime novelist of all time, and who threw adaptations of his work under the bus before they even entered production (see his dismissal of 2006’s The Black Dahlia).

Though it took seven drafts for Hanson/Helgeland to feel it could be shown to Ellroy, they had not been afraid to do what was necessary to the source material. Of all the overlapping storylines, only those of the three protagonists remained. Their interplay was enough to have a sense-making narrative that retained the feel of the book and said what Hanson wanted to say about Los Angeles.

In the end, Ellroy gave the film his blessing (though he called the plans for a climactic gun battle “bullshit... but inspired bullshit”), understanding that there was only so much of his world that could be visited in two hours. Hanson and Helgeland’s cuts to the story were however matched by an addition that would be the reason for much of the movie’s fame, Rollo Tomasi: a name, a secret, heroic last words and the greatest film twist not involving parentage.

Despite the confidence with the script, Hanson still faced studio interference. Warner Bros were sceptical that an ensemble period film could work and wanted to amalgamate the protagonists, to make it a star vehicle in the least to stand a chance financially. The director persisted with his vision, but knew that with a budget as streamlined as his script, he would have to employ almost strategic casting.

Much more at the link-a great tribute to a masterpiece. And here's the original trailer (a very 90's trailer):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sOXrY5yV4g

And my favorite scene involving Russell Crowe and a chair:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-opqUSOUDQY

Incredible film. A masterpiece.
As dark as it is, it's also endlessly entertaining and I have rewatched it many times. Plus it was the first time that I took notice of Russel Crowe and Guy Pierce.
And adapting an Ellroy book was no easy task. Shame Black Dahlia was such a shitty attempt.

bastardly

definitely a top 10 film for me. only thing that still bothers me is when guy pierces characters sleeps with kim basinger, seemed out of no where and out of character. but flawless besides that.

'This is for ours, Poncho!' Awesome movie. Crazy how Hollywood's only other attempt at something like it was the horrendous mess that was 'Gangster Squad'.

Yeah I'd kill for another good (set in) Hollywood noir period piece. LA Confidential was so enjoyable

I think coens could pull it off well. There are elements of it already in some of their other films.

It's been awhile since I saw it but I remember really liking it.

I also remember that it felt like L.A Noire and Gangster Squad took a lot of things from it.

LoveCake

Such a good film, and twenty years ago I watched it in the cinema, it was also one of the very first DVD's I purchased.

SeanC

The movie that made me go down the noir rabbit hole.

I owe it tons beyond just being a great film, it opened me up to hundreds more.

cbrun44

Love this film so much but I haven't rewatched it since the blu-ray release amazingly enough getting close to a decade now. Definitely need to rectify that.

Love a good classic Hollywood setting. We get far too little of that.

Saganator

I loved this movie when it came out. Unfortunately I haven't watched it in a long time. Really need to watch it again now that I'm older, I'm pretty sure I'll appreciate it a lot more.

I teach a film/neo noire unit in my film studies class, and it never fails to be the most well-loved film in the section, even despite the stiff competition.

norm9

One of the best LA based movies in the same tier as Chinatown, Heat, Sunset Blvd, and Double Indemnity.

Straight up cynical macabre genius. A film that can be watched over and over and over, somehow transcending mimicry of its genre to something just as satisfying and thrilling, like you'd never seen a detective story before. By god it's even got a John Woo segment that feels realistic.

Fuck now I'm watching it tonight!

One of the best LA based movies in the same tier as Chinatown, Heat, Sunset Blvd, and Double Indemnity.
Which is saying something.

dl77

Yup, one of my favourite films. 1997 was a great year in film for me with LA Confidential and Boogie Nights coming out.

Yep, dont understand why Nolan aint using him more.

Having read him imdb page recently, it would appear he was living in Australia, making him somewhat hard to reach. Same answer as why Sam Neill isn't in more Hollywood productions: because he doesn't live in LA.

So that would be the most straightforward reason.

Hyun Sai

A true (the last ?) masterpiece of noir with enough well crafted humor to lighten the mood when necessary.

Casting is also stellar. This movie will never gets old.

One of the few movies which manages to translate a great novel into a great movie without changing too much.

If you like the movie I really recommend reading the book, it adds to the overall story.

One of my faves. I rewatched it a few months back and its just works so well. Three Australians mostly managing decent american accents, yet James Cromwell plays it with a lousy Irish accent.

De Vito and Basinger needed more roles like this.

I have never really enjoyed any of the other Curtis Hanson films that I've seen (maybe only Too Big to Fail and In her Shoes, I got halfway through 8 mile), but the direction here is sublime.

[boots]

This and Master and Commander are two of my favorite movies, yet I'm not a big Russell Crowe fan, go figure.

It's still
shocking to me when Kevin Spacey's character gets killed.

When he utters
Rollo Tomasi, I got chills as he knew it would be his revenge
. The subtlety in his performance is amazing.

I remember an interview with him where he says the movie gave him something every actor wants but very few get. A
truly great death scene

sarcastor

One of my faves. I rewatched it a few months back and its just works so well. Three Australians mostly managing decent american accents, yet James Cromwell plays it with a lousy Irish accent.

Yeah I didn't even know Guy Pierce was Australian until after. But who's the third Australian?

Yup, one of my favourite films. 1997 was a great year in film for me with LA Confidential and Boogie Nights coming out.

You know what other movie was released the same week as this one.? The worst rated movie on Rotten Tomatoes. - Ecks vs Sever. And I actually remember paying money to see it in theaters.

Ratrat

One of the few movies which manages to translate a great novel into a great movie without changing too much.

If you like the movie I really recommend reading the book, it adds to the overall story.
I thought they changed a lot actually. Like half the story and characters are gone. It was obviously necessary. One of the best adaptations ever.

Yeah I didn't even know Guy Pierce was Australian until after. But who's the third Australian?

You know what other movie was released the same week as this one.? The worst rated movie on Rotten Tomatoes. - Ecks vs Sever. And I actually remember paying money to see it in theaters.

Simon Baker (Mentalist) was the actor who got screwed over by De Vito's expose and later killed, causing Spacey's character to work with Edmund.

Lord Fagan

A lot of amazing performances, but like a few others here, I'm all about Guy Pearce in this. Definitely his first excellent role before he rocked our world with Leonard Shelby.

I like this dude in fucking everything. Iron Man 3 eats it and he's a pretty oddly written villain, but he's almost all I really like of that film. He's certainly the only thing I like about Prometheus. Even The Time Machine and that shitty space prison movie written by Luc Besson, dude can do no wrong in my eyes.

He's even aging really well, turned 50 this year.

Guy Pearce needs to be in more well-cast, low-to-mid budget naturalistic dramas like LA Confidential. Sucks that Hollywood just doesn't finance that shit anymore. The 90s were full of those kinds flicks, but these days you get maybe an obscure handful of Oscar bait each year, and they just aren't as inspired.

One of the best movies ever and one of the few I make a point to rewatch every year or so.

Also, I can’t recommend the LA Quartet series of books enough. Not a surprise but the book is even better than the movie and there are three more! :b

Auctopus

One of my favourite films of all time. I also like how LA Noire mugs off several plot pieces, characters and settings.

Top Bottom