• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catalonia to split from Spain within 48 hours of secession vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

tolkir

giphy.webp

That doesn't mean much. The only thing a potential country needs to be a proper country is recognition by other countries. It's mostly politics. If Catalonia secedes despite it being unconstitutional to do so, and the rest of the western world recognizes Catalonia as a country, then Catalonia is a country. There isn't anything Spain can do about it without damaging its relations with other countries.

And the EU will not recognize Catalonia as it's own country as long as Spain doesn't give them the constitutional right.

And with the EU not acknowledging Catalonia, literally nobody else who is important will.

It's as easy as that. It's not happening without Spain's consent.

keraj37

First i start to work in London-> Brexit happens
I started to work in Barcelona 1 1/2 months ago -> Catalonia independence

Starting to think it’s my fault

Opposite for me. I left Barcelona one year ago.

All catalonians I worked with or simply met, are really proud of their local culture and history but not majority of them would love to see Catalonia split from Spain. But I worked with IT professionals, and they have different perspective then any other group in this region.
From what I heard living there, most of catalonians are really looking to it.

Can any Spanish GAF fill us in on how that region and some others like the Basque region (San Sebastian and Bilbao) seem to be better off economically then a lot of Spain? I know separatist movements in Spain but didn't know they were down to such small regions.

I am not Spanish but lived in Barcelona, and I must say living standard is quite high there.
But, there is a plague of young people looking for food in trash :( I mean it, everyday you see dozens of them looking for something worth anything or something that you can fill your stomach with.
Really sad, especially if you take in account their young age and many of them completely do not look like they are drug/alcohol addicts at all.

So, not sure about this "economical superiority", unless other regions in Spain are just much more tragic.

Mivey

I thought Spaniards would be more supportive of this move. They would no longer have to learn Catalan, after all, and if it stays in the EU there would also not be any border issues.

I thought Spaniards would be more supportive of this move. They would no longer have to learn Catalan, after all, and if it stays in the EU there would also not be any border issues.
Catalan are Spaniards.

I think you mean Castilians

Spaniards = British
Castilian = English
Catalan = Scottish

That doesn't mean much. The only thing a potential country needs to be a proper country is recognition by other countries. It's mostly politics. If Catalonia secedes despite it being unconstitutional to do so, and the rest of the western world recognizes Catalonia as a country, then Catalonia is a country. There isn't anything Spain can do about it without damaging its relations with other countries.

There needs to be a reason for other countries to recognize them though. Outside of recognition, an area that proclaims themselves to be a country would need the military might to hold it's borders.

I'm not at all familiar with this situation but so far, no one has put forward anything that suggests Catalonia has either of those things.

Dierce

I've read that the reason they want to do this is to hide their corruption through nationalism. But whatever, I want to see what becomes of them. I'm guessing they will quickly become a French Principality like Andorra.

FC Barcelona and Espanyol would still be in La Liga I feel. Barca and Madrid need each other. In English leagues they have teams from Wales.

Would be interesting to see the success of the national teams for Spain and Catalonia.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
First i start to work in London-> Brexit happens
I started to work in Barcelona 1 1/2 months ago -> Catalonia independence

Starting to think it's my fault

Yes. An ages-long process of independence for a disenfranchised region of Spain revolves around you.

FC Barcelona and Espanyol would still be in La Liga I feel. Barca and Madrid need each other. In English leagues they have teams from Wales.

Would be interesting to see the success of the national teams for Spain and Catalonia.

Some great perspective on display.

Some great perspective on display.

What's your problem?

Someone brought up the football teams and I'm merely responding. Also there's nothing wrong mentioning the possibilities no matter how trivial you may think they are. Is that your problem?

jabuseika

So, is this like the rich people trying to make their own tax heaven?

Or do the people really want this.

I have friends from Spain, and the tell me the economic situation for the younger generation is abismal. How will secession help at all.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Please do. Spain is corrupt af.

Catalonia isn't? One of the seccecionist parties had to rebrand themselves not long ago because all the scandals.

Not to mention they've been using government money to finance the seccecionist organisations that support and promote the cause.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Why are you mad? Seriously, what's wrong with guessing based on precedent.

Because that precedent isn't a precedent at all and it was a terrible guess that even a few minutes' research would have dispelled entirely. If Oregon seceded from the US, do you think it would be rushing to become a Canadian territory?

kami_sama

As a Spaniard, from the Valencian Community, we talk the same languages. I think the referendum is idiotic.
I think whatever separates us is a lot smaller than the shared culture and traditions.
Also, almost none of the reasons to secede is real. Getting out of Spain won't suddenly make the economy better and it won't make corruption suddenly disappear. The root of all problems is not on the central government (well, not all).
In the end, I don't even think the vote will ever happen. And if it does, the result won't be recognized.

I have friends from Spain, and the tell me the economic situation for the younger generation is abismal. How will secession help at all.

It will not, some people want to believe that it will tho

kami_sama

We miiiiight just have a winner winner cena de pollos here, folks.

Fuck, it sounds worse than I would have though.

I disagree with your assertion. If Catalonia splits they won't be allowed into the eurozone thus they will rely on another country for support. Their financial system will collapse unless some other country bails them out.

If they don't want Spanish sovereignty, let's be clear they won't accept France lol
It'd be like jumping out of the pan into the fire.
France hasn't been exactly good with non-french (as in defined by the government) areas.

Dierce

Because that precedent isn't a precedent at all and it was a terrible guess that even a few minutes' research would have dispelled entirely.

I disagree with your assertion. If Catalonia splits they won't be allowed into the eurozone thus they will rely on another country for support. Their financial system will collapse unless some other country bails them out.

Violet_0

Banned
the Spanish government doesn't recognize the referendum so ... sure. Just like Puerto Rico is officially recognized as a US state now

Cocaloch

As a Spaniard, from the Valencian Community, we talk the same languages. I think the referendum is idiotic.
I think whatever separates us is a lot smaller than the shared culture and traditions.
Also, almost none of the reasons to secede is real. Getting out of Spain won't suddenly make the economy better and it won't make corruption suddenly disappear. The root of all problems is not on the central government (well, not all).
In the end, I don't even think the vote will ever happen. And if it does, the result won't be recognized.

Well it makes sense that a non-Catalonian would think that. What's more important are the feelings of Catalonians, and a sizeable number do indeed feel that the differences are big enough to matter.

turmoil

Banned
Spain should get rid of the monarchy and adopt a republican and federal constitution, with each provincial government having competencies toward the protection of their particular culture.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

That's not how any of this works. If being bailed out by France is all you needed to become a French principality, Greece would be happily munching on frog legs by now. The idea that Catalonia would seek independence in order to get greater autonomies, then... sign up to the French state because reasons??? is just mindbogglingly stupid.

kami_sama

Well it makes sense that a non-Catalonian would think that. What's more important are the feelings of Catalonians, and a sizeable number do indeed feel that the differences are big enough to matter.

That's fair, that's my view either way.
Still I think that Catalonia will be much worse if it were to secede.

Dierce

That's not how any of this works. If being bailed out by France is all you needed to become a French principality, Greece would be happily munching on frog legs by now. The idea that Catalonia would seek independence in order to get greater autonomies, then... sign up to the French state because reasons??? is just mindbogglingly stupid.

Catalonia just doesn't want to be part of Spain, that's where they draw the line. Once reality kicks in we will see what country they identify more with.

it won't

wouldn't Catalonia secession hurt other Catalan speakers in other Catalan speaking regions of Spain?

perhaps Catalan would be preserved in that new country but it will be diminished in other autonomous regions just like Valencia

iamblades

They almost certainly won't be in the EU if they secede.

It is inevitable that most of southern Europe will eventually leave the EU(or at least the euro and the common market). What exists now is completely unsustainable, the 4th largest economy in the world is exporting half of it's GDP to markets that can not compete with that level of efficiency, so you get 20% unemployment throughout the south, and it will never get better as long as their economies are tied to a nation with the productive capacity of Germany.

A situation where entire generations of young people are doomed to long term unemployment is not a recipe for a stable nation state, even in the absence of regions that have always had a secessionist bent. Put the two together and it will be a miracle if Spain is still on one piece in 50 years, and a bigger one if it didn't take a civil war to keep it that way.

Bréxít?

Bréxñit.

Spaniards who don't live in Catalonia don't have to learn Catalan tho

Spain should get rid of the monarchy and adopt a republican and federal constitution, with each provincial government having competencies toward the protection of their particular culture.

Ah, if only...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom