• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

Hedge funds try to manipulate the stock market in much the same way, but stock markets generally have much larger liquidity and so manipulation of even individual stocks requires tens of millions of dollars to create fractions of percentage point movements in publicly traded companies. That doesn't stop them from doing it though and since buying and selling stocks isn't illegal nor is going on CNBC to talk them up or down, it happens all the time.

Here's Jim Cramer (yes, THAT Jim Cramer) talking about what he used to do to manipulate the markets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMShFx5rThI

With the much smaller liquidity of crypto markets it's probably not hard to create flash crashes and hope for panic selling to take hold and make a real crash happen. For all we know it's someone who is heavily invested in BTC who bought a lot of ETH slowly and then sold it all at once to try and crash ETH and protect their BTC investment.

This is the worry around prohibitively priced and not generally useful computer hardware/ASIC. Massive swaths of the trade volumes are soaked up by large farms and China or elsewhere giving them far too much power in the market to do these kinds of things. Which is kind of against one of the biggest underpinnings of cyrptocurrencies... Decentralization. No? It's concerning, when currencies are so easily manipulated.

Orca

I was away from the internet all day. This is nuts. Would there have been a way to take advantage of this with automated buy orders? Is there any way I can get an alert to my phone if something like this happens again?

With this kind of automated trading there's no way to get an alert. Set a buy order for some absurdly low figure and hope for it to happen some day.

This can happen - and pretty much has happened - with any system that includes autonomous or semi-autonomous trading. Cascades have happened even in systems that are entirely driven by human hands - people panic and drive a flash crash just as easily as machines do.

Do you guys who buy in and pull out all the time just get taxed out the ass? How much capital are you playing with for it to be worth it?

Tk0n

For all we know it's someone who is heavily invested in BTC who bought a lot of ETH slowly and then sold it all at once to try and crash ETH and protect their BTC investment.

could just have been an longtime ETH holder cashing out. could just have been a big ETH whale protecting his money. could have been one of the ICO cashing out. we know nothing about the motives. its all pure speculation.
but NO it has to be one of those pesky BTC fans!

what we know is, that this sale didnt crash the market. 30 mil is just a drop in the bucket for ETH.
it crashed 1 day earlier and not because of those evil BTC people but because it was in limbo for over a week, making people nervous and then came the status ico fucking the network.

i wouldnt be so sure that a crashing ETH will secure a BTC investment. short term, people will transfer funds to BTC sure, weve seen this. but long term a lot of people will be burned, removing their funds from crypto completely. ETH is big enough to pull the complete market down with it. and then we get rugulators stepping in, destroying all the fun ;)

Tk0n

Do you guys who buy in and pull out all the time just get taxed out the ass? How much capital are you playing with for it to be worth it?

where i live, its taxfree because of the speculative nature if a year passes between invest and cashing out to fiat.
is there a similar law in the u.s.?

Donos

some guy turned 350$ into 1 million over a few seconds. lol

"Hello, i like to make a reservation for a Lamborghini Huracan"
"Gladly, what's your name?"
"Richard, but call me Rich"
"and your last name please?"
"Azphuk, Rich Azphuk"

ANS is staying steady over 8 €. Conference didn't have much influence so far (except letting it rise beforehand)

Tk0n

"Hello, i like to make a reservation for a Lamborghini Huracan"
"Gladly, what's your name?"
"Richard, but call me Rich"
"and your last name please?"
"Azphuk, Rich Azphuk"

ANS is staying steady over 8 €. Conference didn't have much influence so far (except letting it rise beforehand)

always the same. "buy the rumours - sell the news".
i guess "we rebrand to NEO" isnt the same as "we have secured a big partnership with Microsoft"

openANX ICO starts in 2,5 hours and funfair ICO in 3,5.
lets see how the ETH network can cope with it this time.

Red

Asking again, can't figure out how to get my coins.
Red said:
I'm testing out poloniex, and put $10 on SC. Where do I see my balance? How can I transfer what I bought to my sia wallet? I can't find my purchased coins anywhere.
Anyone use poloniex? I must be missing something.

The Rizza

On mobile, hit the hamburger in the top right, click on deposits @ withdrawals, then you should see all your balances from there. Never withdrawn from Poloniex, but I think you would do withdraw and then send it to your sia wallet

Muddimar

Sup guys! Just found this thread, new to the thread, (kinda) new to crypto.

I got in on the ANS wave, bought 24 of them for $6. From what I've read I should hold on to them for a while.

The other currency I'm torn on is DGB and SC. Both are similar, but I decided to hold onto the DGB for the time being and ride it out. Anyone else invested in DGB and have any thoughts?

Also, I'm from Ohio. It seems Ohioans can't use their bank cards directly to purchase BTC through most of the major buy/sell sites. You have to use your bank account info (routing/checking numbers), which takes a week or so for the transaction to process. Anyone know of any shorter ways around this issue?

Tk0n

Oh god, this is gold:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Antshares/comments/6irpou/live_beijing_conference_june_22_2017_english/

Scroll down to the post from manly_:

After that it's pure entertainment.

I jinxed it with my "ANS steady over 8 €" post... since then it is going down. 6.60 € atm.

ANS hype is crazy.
yeah, its an interesting project, but due to the hype last week its already at or above the price where comparable projects are. the ans reddit is bizzare.
seems people where thinking they buy at 10$ and after the conference it immediately reaches ETH levels.

people buy this stuff for its volatility and then come crying when they lose 20% in a couple of minutes. volatility goes both ways.

most shocking takeaway from the conference for me is that they only have 2 full time devs.

Tk0n

The other currency I'm torn on is DGB and SC. Both are similar, but I decided to hold onto the DGB for the time being and ride it out. Anyone else invested in DGB and have any thoughts?

my personal feeling is that they both have potential. ive only invested a little in both of them to diversify. dgb is moving a bit downward since its peak earlier this month, but could break out any time (i hope in the right direction) sia is on a more nice and steady upwards trend. strong and stable, i guess. i think sia is a bit more promising as a long term investment. as it could see "real world usage".

but who knows what tomorrow brings ;)

Muddimar

my personal feeling is that they both have potential. ive only invested a little in both of them to diversify. dgb is moving a bit downward since its peak earlier this month, but could break out any time (i hope in the right direction) sia is on a more nice and steady upwards trend. strong and stable, i guess. i think sia is a bit more promising as a long term investment. as it could see "real world usage".

but who knows what tomorrow brings ;)

Yeah I feel the same way about SC and DGB. I try to look at the technology behind and real world application. I feel like either one could take off.

The annoying part for me is actually getting money "into the system" so I can play around with this stuff. Currently takes like 7 days to process. Hard to ride waves when you are sitting on your hands, waiting for your transaction to go through.

Donos

Stumbled over the two devs too but then again i don't know how developing for cryptocurrencies really work. Do we know dev size of other devs?

ZOONAMI

Poloniex has noted problems with it SC wallet.

Nanopool mining SC to a poloniex wallet and getting errors. Nanopool team saying they will try again.

Luschient

some guy turned 350$ into 1 million over a few seconds. lol

why-can-t-it-be-me-for-once-why-somene-else.png

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed

BALANCES -> DEPOSITS & WITHDRAWALS

search SC | siacoin. On the right you can see the amount of coins, its BTC value, and Deposit | Withdraw. Click Withdraw and then put your wallet address

Hmmm....been mining overnight using the Claymore ethereum miner......seemed to be successful in finding shares.

I don't see any activity for my wallet address on ethermine.org, however, and this is about 12 hours after mining.

What could be the problem? Before building a full mining rig, I need to get this kink ironed out and start seeing some activity on ethermine.org....

spyshagg

Hmmm....been mining overnight using the Claymore ethereum miner......seemed to be successful in finding shares.

I don't see any activity for my wallet address on ethermine.org, however, and this is about 12 hours after mining.

What could be the problem? Before building a full mining rig, I need to get this kink ironed out and start seeing some activity on ethermine.org....

Are you using your wallet on claymore configuration? Be sure not to mine to some other guy wallet!

Activity on https://ethermine.org/miners/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx appears after 10 or so minutes after starting mining.

Tk0n

ETH looked quite good for a while, but now i have a feeling that it will drop a bit further in the next hours.
people that missed the ANS train a few days ago (like me) might have a nice entry point again soon ;)

Are you using your wallet on claymore configuration? Be sure not to mine to some other guy wallet!

Activity on https://ethermine.org/miners/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx appears after 10 or so minutes after starting mining.

Yep, I created a wallet by downloading the Exodus software and plugged the receive ETH address from that into my start.bat for Claymore. Here's my start.bat code:

setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
EthDcrMiner64.exe -epool us1.ethpool.org:3333 -ewal 0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX -epsw x

I plug that 0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (actual rest of wallet included) in at ethermine.org but no activity is listed even hours later.

spyshagg

Yep, I created a wallet by downloading the Exodus software and plugged the receive ETH address from that into my start.bat for Claymore. Here's my start.bat code:

setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
EthDcrMiner64.exe -epool us1.ethpool.org:3333 -ewal 0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX -epsw x

I plug that 0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (actual rest of wallet included) in at ethermine.org but no activity is listed even hours later.

Did you drop the 0x on the ethermine link? you should only use the hash, not the prefix.

https://ethermine.org/miners/dsadsadfsafdsfadsfasdfadsffdsaf not https://ethermine.org/miners/0xdsadsadfsafdsfadsfasdfadsffdsaf

edit: scratch that. It works either way.

If you address is valid I dont know why its not reading anything. Just yesterday I created a new wallet to receive the mining rewards and ethermine showed progress after 10 minutes.

Did you drop the 0x on the ethermine link? you should only use the hash, not the prefix.

https://ethermine.org/miners/dsadsadfsafdsfadsfasdfadsffdsaf not https://ethermine.org/miners/0xdsadsadfsafdsfadsfasdfadsffdsaf

edit: scratch that. It works either way.

If you address is valid I dont know why its not reading anything. Just yesterday I created a new wallet to receive the mining rewards and ethermine showed progress after 10 minutes.

I tried deleting & creating a new ETH wallet in Exodus ---- still shows no activity in ethermine.org after about 2 hours of mining.

This is waht my Claymore cmd window shows regarding what I think is successful mining happening....

bM2yHy4.jpg

spyshagg

I tried deleting & creating a new ETH wallet in Exodus ---- still shows no activity in ethermine.org after about 2 hours of mining.

This is waht my Claymore cmd window shows regarding what I think is successful mining happening....

bM2yHy4.jpg

try mining on a different pool? or create a myetherwallet address maybe.

I never saw that happening. Its like you are mining to a different address than you think you are

Will mining on epool show up on ethermine.org site? Silly question, and I'd expect the answer to be no. That may be my problem. I was mining on us1.ethpool.org:3333

I have switched to us1.ethermine.org:4444 and am waiting awhile to check ethermine.org to see if a hash rate appears....

EDIT:: Bingo, that's what it was. If you expect to confirm your mining and use ethermine.org , mine using the ethermine.org pool!!!!! LOL

Sorry stupid question but, you do know it's not funneled directly into your wallet right? Base payout is at 1ETH. You can adjust it down all the way to like .01 but you pay more fees relatively at that point.

Sorry stupid question but, you do know it's not funneled directly into your wallet right? Base payout is at 1ETH. You can adjust it down all the way to like .01 but you pay more fees relatively at that point.

Yep, the issue isn't whether payment would occur, it's that no activity was being reported on ethermine.org. Probably because I wasn't mining on the ethermine.org pool...........

Eiji

It beggars belief how this could have happened. I'm pulling out of ETH when it breaks 400 again.

Sellers not using stop limits is how it happened. Just using a stop means selling at any market price at or below your stop price and at some point the ETH market price hit $0.10 in the flash crash which triggered the low price limit buys.

Sulik2

I've got 13 ETC classic coins kicking around, boy did I mess up by taking that branch when they split last year, whats the growth hopes on ETC? Should I swap to a different currency or keep with it?

I read up on Ripple and liked how that sounded and its still so cheap right. Had a .1 of a bit coin still kicking around so invested half of it into ripple. I've still got another .05 of a bitcoin any recommendations on super cheap crypto's that might have a good growth opportunity like Ripple does?

Tk0n

I've got 13 ETC classic coins kicking around, boy did I mess up by taking that branch when they split last year, whats the growth hopes on ETC? Should I swap to a different currency or keep with it?

I read up on Ripple and liked how that sounded and its still so cheap right. Had a .1 of a bit coin still kicking around so invested half of it into ripple. I've still got another .05 of a bitcoin any recommendations on super cheap crypto's that might have a good growth opportunity like Ripple does?

1 ripple might be cheap, but there is a supply of 40.000.000.000 of them atm.
so if, by chance, it quadruples its price, it will reach the current marketcap of BTC.
i just dont see that anywhere in the near future.
the price of a single coin is not the only indicator you should use if you want to determine if a coin is "cheap".

xrp has been almost static over the last month while a lot of other coins grew at least 50%.

sia might be what youre looking for, but nothing is guaranteed in a market that can crash any minute ;)

BUT, there is supposed to be a big announcement tomorow (price of the new asic miner?) and announcements always seem to cause sell offs initially regardless if they are good or bad

stratis - (bad announcement) breeze wallet releases without tumblebit = 10% price crash
lbry - (good announcement) open beta next month = 15% price crash
antshares - (semi good announcement) = 30% price crash

Donos

Some probably expected an ANS price explosion because of the conf. announcement/reveals and are now selling dissapointed. Since i went in at 2.90 € i'm not bothered.

Edit: Almost back at 8€

Tk0n

if you havent bought in at 12$, i wouldnt be too bothered either.
product sounds solid and the price will eventually go back to where it was.

looks like its recovering quite a bit already.

Donos

Saw a recent documentary last week about hacking/internet and the second part was about Bitcoin/cryptocurrencies and Mt Gox. Some wild stuff. (for the germans, it's on the mediathek https://www.zdf.de/dokumentation/zdfinfo-doku/stalker-dealer-betrueger-neue-tricks-102.html)

That CEO Mark Karpeles guy looks different now compared to back then (at least from his twitter pic). But that's probably the 10 months Japanese prison. Couldn't really find out what he's doing now. Besides drinking champagne from the BTCs he and his friends stole ;)

Sulik2

The ETC Twitter account just posted this yesterday:

Reminder: Users don't need to split $ETH from before the HF due to replay protection on both chains. Private key is the same for $ETH & $ETC

Does this mean there is way for those of us who bought ETH before the fork, changed it to ETC to convert them back to ETH?

finally got my account approved on kraken...

Will buy some ETH and BTC.

Anyone knows what's the deal with XBY? People were talking about it a few weeks ago...It's pretty low sitting at 2cents per coin but has it any chance of gaining value?

Anyway, will put around 10k into ETH and BTC. Around 80% ETH, 20% BTC.

Hope I don't burn it all away!

Tk0n

Id advice against starting that big. But in the end, its your money. Dont invest what you cant afford to lose. ETH is trending downward for a few days, but might change direction anytime now. Both ways. ETH market is a bit nervous the last days.
I wouldnt recommend XBY for now. Its cheap because nobody wants it. You cant get it at Kraken anyway. Sure, you can make 50% profit in a day with it. But you can also lose half your invest.

Id advice against starting that big. But in the end, its your money. Dont invest what you cant afford to lose. ETH is trending downward for a few days, but might change direction anytime now. Both ways. ETH market is a bit nervous the last days.
I wouldnt recommend XBY for now. Its cheap because nobody wants it. You cant get it at Kraken anyway. Sure, you can make 50% profit in a day with it. But you can also lose half your invest.

Solid advice. This is money that I have without any use for it. I could just keep it in the bank or whatever but if I lose it all, it won't make any difference. That said, I would prefer if I didn't lose it all, naturally.

Anyway, I'll start with 1500 increments and see how it goes.

1 ripple might be cheap, but there is a supply of 40.000.000.000 of them atm.
so if, by chance, it quadruples its price, it will reach the current marketcap of BTC.
i just dont see that anywhere in the near future.
the price of a single coin is not the only indicator you should use if you want to determine if a coin is "cheap".

xrp has been almost static over the last month while a lot of other coins grew at least 50%.

sia might be what youre looking for, but nothing is guaranteed in a market that can crash any minute ;)

BUT, there is supposed to be a big announcement tomorow (price of the new asic miner?) and announcements always seem to cause sell offs initially regardless if they are good or bad

stratis - (bad announcement) breeze wallet releases without tumblebit = 10% price crash
lbry - (good announcement) open beta next month = 15% price crash
antshares - (semi good announcement) = 30% price crash

They already announced the ASIC miner for SIA.

SC definitely took a hit but it made sense and it had been inflated from the previous few days.

Tk0n

im kinda surprised how much flag the are getting just because you have to pay in BTC if you want to buy the asic miner.

they sell a product in and for the crypto market and people are complaining that they cant pay with $...

i dont have high investments in sia, but i think the team is really upfront and transparent about everything they do.

there is also a lengthy post on sia blog from 2 days ago about why they choose to produce an asic miner:
https://blog.sia.tech/choosing-asics-for-sia-b318505b5b51

Top Bottom