• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Night in the Woods |OT| Come Home

Damn, that would've really been cool to see in the main game! Aside from the grandma bit (which dabbled between foreshadowing and blatant on-the-nose spoiling), that was a nice bit of background development on one of the game's cooler characters. Also, it hit the nail on the head a bit more about Mae's father's past habits and lifestyles from someone who isn't her father himself.

I don't see where this wouldn't fit in as a cooldown day from Bea or Gregg, given how the game wasn't overly rigid in the amount of days the story takes place over.

I redeemed the ps4 kickstarter code and got the game but not the theme?

Anyway player for a few hours and got some questions mostly demontower:

1) why does my character seems to lump in the third floor and lost a hearts?

2) i killed a friendly npc I think ilon the second floor near the elevator, what does he do?

I really like the game otherwise but just one question. I thought Mae was a boy but it's a girl :O

1)
I guessed the character was either old, or taken permanent damage, which would explain the health reduction. In all honesty, the HP down is there to add difficulty.

2)
I'm afraid so, and he doesn't respawn I think. You'd encounter him every few levels and note the pattern he gives you, leading to an optional puzzle you can solve in the Demontower. The game is entirely optional for the main story however, just a trophy unlocker in the long run.

And as for the genders, there are plenty of them that I got confused by until a name or gender is actually spoken. I actually kinda like it like that, like that bit of info didn't alter who these people were.

Wow this game was amazing. It had some pacing issues towards the end and it kinda seems like they were narrating themselves into hole but overall, the themes covered and the connections you make with these characters and how.... grounded and... real the game is, amazing.

Gbraga

Finally started this yesterday, only played until getting to the house, very early into the game, but it's already quite charming. My only complaint is how most of the obejct interactions follow a pattern of only the first time you interact with it really being interesting and kind of funny. The other times feel incredibly forced, and like it's trying too hard to make as many jokes as possible.

That's sort of my fault, though. Nothing's forcing me to keep checking it until I get every bit of text, but there's always the fear of losing on something genuinely good.

EDIT: Also not being able to use the d-pad kind of sucks. Even if it was only for the menus.

Famassu

I took my time with the rest of the game after playing through the first ~half of the game in a single day. Loved it, though maybe wished the epilogue didn't end quite as abruptly

Personally had no problems with the SHOCKING TWIST near the end. I felt that the underlying message of what dem dudes were doing fit the larger narrative pretty well, even if the actual events near the end were a bit bonkers.

chalk me up as one of the people who love the ending, really hammered home a lot of the narrative's thematic elements, even if it was a bit heavy handed. absolutely love this game.

tsundoku

Did any data miners looking for the bugged platinum trophy find the cut content with Angus and the Bad Hyperlight Drifter game?
I felt it was incredibly weird he never talks to you about / provides you with tips or tricks / secrets to restart for after giving you the game.

Gbraga

The first band practice is such a good example of gameplay and narrative working together and supporting each other.

What a lovely cast, Gregg is the best <3

Finally jumping back into this after a couple weeks of falling into the black hole of time that is Zelda. Glanced at the trophies out of curiosity and saw the platinum is still at 0.0%. Is there some sort of bug or is it actually something that hasn't been figured out yet?

Edit: Looked two posts above to see the bugged platinum reference, lol. Reading! Guess I hope it's patched up soon, (It'd also be nice to be rid of the weird triangle button hitching before I hit the third band practice.)

It's really nice to come back to something like this after losing myself in Hyrule to the point of burning out.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Question: at the start of the game,
you go to a party and get drunk and do dumb shit.

Is there any choice in that and a way to avoid that or is that the critical path?

Demoskinos

Shame that some of the trophies are still bugged. Want to do another run and go for some more trophies. Not going to bother until the trophies are fixed.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I feel that this is... important.

tumblr_on4yc6zMxM1rxa87ao1_1280.gif

tumblr_inline_on6gcv5vgJ1rqat6c_540.gif

tumblr_inline_on6gcwNbnx1rqat6c_540.gif

tumblr_inline_on6gd4Cdsd1rqat6c_540.gif

tumblr_inline_on6gcyLtpH1rqat6c_540.gif

https://deadpeoplefromthe60s.tumblr.com/post/158714499522/sleufoot-sleufoot-it-had-to-be-done

Ultimadrago

I just picked this up on impulse since I've heard moreorless that it's like a Slice-of-Life "Coming of Age" story from a certain game analyst, at least in the earlier portions. I already heard about the big twist and all. I'm cool with that because I likely wouldn't have picked up the game if I didn't hear the full story. If it's a good game, that'll hardly matter anyways.

I'm in it for the small moments and script, so here's to hope!

Antiwhippy

The bigger narrative kinda plays into the day to day thematically but yeah, it's the day to day interactions that makes this so good.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I finished this yesterday and I found the ending and narrative in line with the themes of the game. Not feeling the dissonance some people are mentioning.

The characters and writing were great, I just wished we could have VA - it could have elevated the experience entirely. :(

tsundoku

Are there actually bugged trophies or are people taking my sarcastic shade throw as fact

But seriously Angus says "talk to me about the game" and then never follows up with a single other line about it, not even to say, "sorry, i lied, its a really terrible hyperlight clone with offensively bad collision, weird invisible counterdesign stamina mechanic, and poor enemy design / difficulty ramp"

Maybe it would have been worth beating and getting the crumbs of lore out of if he taught you about a secret sword you could get, or health upgrades, or "lava" proof boots.

Ultimadrago

Are there actually bugged trophies or are people taking my sarcastic shade throw as fact

But seriously Angus says "talk to me about the game" and then never follows up with a single other line about it, not even to say, "sorry, i lied, its a really terrible hyperlight clone with offensively bad collision, weird invisible counterdesign stamina mechanic, and poor enemy design / difficulty ramp"

Maybe it would have been worth beating and getting the crumbs of lore out of if he taught you about a secret sword you could get, or health upgrades, or "lava" proof boots.

Yep. Got the
True Ending
for Demon Tower the other day and was hoping Angus would be willing to talk about it or even be impressed that Mae could pull it off. Nope. Nothing.

A minor gripe as I'm finding the interactions great so far. Big fan of Bea and her design. It seems you can only spoil one friend with attention per playthrough. I'm going to stick with her throughout the entire thing. Not sure if I'll go for another, as I'm not a fan of replaying games in general.

tsundoku

Yep. Got the
True Ending
for Demon Tower the other day and was hoping Angus would be willing to talk about it or even be impressed that Mae could pull it off. Nope. Nothing.

A minor gripe as I'm finding the interactions great so far. Big fan of Bea and her design. It seems you can only spoil one friend with attention per playthrough. I'm going to stick with her throughout the entire thing. Not sure if I'll go for another, as I'm not a fan of replaying games in general.

Bea and Gregg and even some characters you don't spend as much time with are great, just seems weird to drop it with Angus.

Do you still get some mandatory scenes with him later on so look forward to those

Ultimadrago

Man, I'm currently at the (Bea Arc)
Rave party
and Mae is making me get out of my seat to cringe. GOD MAE! Stop embarrassing Bea so much. Haha

Edit: Finished the game. That was a neat adventure! I didn't really like the climax and the details surrounding it. While it was relevant to Mae and Possum Springs, I found the execution a little sloppy and unsatisfying. Asides from that, the casual and intimate character interactions in the game were really good! I loved spending time with the various personalities in Possum Springs each day and found it an exhibit of making a repetitive location feel fresh between takes. I could have used a little less of the
dream
sections though; there were a few too many of those.

Seeing how quickly the last portion wraps up I could see myself playing this again. But in case I don't, it was quite a treat regardless! I may even start on the supplemental games soon.

Antiwhippy

You can always go through again to see greg's arc.

But yeah, that Bea arc. Made me go "Mae, no, stop please stop oh god" so many times.

Man, I'm currently at the (Bea Arc)
Rave party
and Mae is making me get out of my seat to cringe. GOD MAE! Stop embarrassing Bea so much. Haha

Edit: Finished the game. That was a neat adventure! I didn't really like the climax and the details surrounding it. While it was relevant to Mae and Possum Springs, I found the execution a little sloppy and unsatisfying. Asides from that, the casual and intimate character interactions in the game were really good! I loved spending time with the various personalities in Possum Springs each day and found it an exhibit of making a repetitive location feel fresh between takes. I could have used a little less of the
dream

Seeing how quickly the last portion wraps up I could see myself playing this again. But in case I don't, it was quite a treat regardless! I may even start on the supplemental games soon.

But yeah, that Bea arc. Made me go "Mae, no, stop please stop oh god" so many times.

That Bea scene is the only time I save-scummed this game, as the level of awfulness Mae put on display was too much, way worse than
the bonfire party.

I remember starting that scene, then realising
'Oh I can stop dancing now!' Went right, saw the clearly 'a character, not a background NPC' looking at Mae right after she was warned by Bea to be careful, and noped over to her best available friend, only to walk into THAT. Reloaded, danced and spoke to the admittedly cool girl, unloaded all of Mae's pent up grief, and prayed that was the 'correct way' to advance the scene without destroying poor Bea's credibility. But nope, NITW had other plans...

Antiwhippy

It has a really nice payoff though, even though i still have no idea how bea is still friends with mae haha. I do like how contrasting bae's and Greg's arcs are. One is
being stuck but learning how to live with it, while the other is about learning how to move on.

I think I've pretty much locked into bea being my favourite character this year.

Famassu

I could have used a little less of the
dream
Doesn't the game only have "a few" of those so removing a few would basically mean there wouldn't be any of those segments in the game. :p I think the strong atmosphere and good music made them enjoyable to play through and they provided some much needed variety from just running around town.

Ultimadrago

The more I think on it, the more certain I am I'll go back for a run with Gregg soon. There's also Germ, but that's pushing it. I'll Youtube that one. I'm curious though if he has as large of an arc (as far as episodes) compared to Bea or Gregg. If I recall, he doesn't even get his own
investigation
scene. That Germ, always keeping it low-key.

That Bea scene is the only time I save-scummed this game, as the level of awfulness Mae put on display was too much, way worse than
the bonfire party.

I remember starting that scene, then realising
'Oh I can stop dancing now!' Went right, saw the clearly 'a character, not a background NPC' looking at Mae right after she was warned by Bea to be careful, and noped over to her best available friend, only to walk into THAT. Reloaded, danced and spoke to the admittedly cool girl, unloaded all of Mae's pent up grief, and prayed that was the 'correct way' to advance the scene without destroying poor Bea's credibility. But nope, NITW had other plans...

Hah! I hesitated when doing it, but did have Mae
go up to that mysterious chick before heading to Bea. I was bracing for the consequence, but as you said, the real punchline is Mae being at any party.

Doesn't the game only have "a few" of those so removing a few would basically mean there wouldn't be any of those segments in the game. :p I think the strong atmosphere and good music made them enjoyable to play through and they provided some much needed variety from just running around town.

There are more than two which is when I was getting sick of them. The format for those is largely the same and you run/jump in them just like you run/jump in town (except with fewer interesting interactions). The environments were a fine change for a day or two, but I got to the point where I was hoping she wouldn't have anymore of the sequences. If they were all just very brief cutscenes, I wouldn't miss playing through it at all.

Ultimadrago

Woah, doing a playthrough for Gregg and largely skipping over most details from the first run. I had no idea that if you don't talk to
Selmers enough, she won't show up to the poetry club meeting at the library
. Damn, that's a cool detail, but makes me feel kind of messed up! lol.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
So a question about illness - what exactly does
Mae suffer from? Is it some sort of derealization disorder?

Woah, doing a playthrough for Gregg and largely skipping over most details from the first run. I had no idea that if you don't talk to
Selmers enough, she won't show up to the poetry club meeting at the library
. Damn, that's a cool detail, but makes me feel kind of messed up! lol.

I didn't realise until seeing playthroughs online that
the attendees at Mae's supposed funeral near the end are also subject to your overall interactions with secondary characters. As such only Selmer showed up to my first one, turns out I missed a few constellations (never figured the route to the top of the house until way later), and was one scene shy of Lori being present to call Mae 'friend'.

tsundoku

So a question about illness - what exactly does
Mae suffer from? Is it some sort of derealization disorder?

yeah
she sees everyone as cute animal people made up of 'shapes and colours and lines' which is why gregg is a weird fox guy with gigantic eyes, he's energetic but a bit nasty, he'll bite you and he doesn't like to be trapped or tied up. that's why theres normal animals in the world. Anyone Mae barely knows is a bird, and lots of family are the same species as her, and 'teacher' types or pudgy people are gentle giants bears. Makes sense if you think about her violence incident as her bopping a funny animal person with a bat and having the animal person make a silly noise and giggle or have dizzy eyes.

Her anchor is Gregg, who can keep up with her craziness, and nonchalance towards danger/violence/pain, and stop her when she's actually about to hurt herself or someone. When she goes off to college she gets regular old depressed and spends all her time wallowing in her room because she has trouble connecting to people from the derealization and the time needed to form a strong / secure bond.

Alastor3

I just finished it, it was amazing. The only thing that I didn't really like was the dream sequence and the lonnng walk through town each morning but I like everything else!

Will go see a walkthrough for Gregg part now.

joms5

Ugh.

This pains me to say it, because after 3-4 hours with the game I was in love with it. But holy shit does it fall about in the end.

The person who brings up Firewatch as a similar example is spot on. However I still feel like Firewatch stuck it's landing a little better, and only faltered on the conspiracy theory thread. In the end it seemed like they didn't know where they wanted to go. Or else I hope that's what happened, because if this was their initial idea all along then yeesh.

I still loved the characters, dialogue was genuinely funny and really defined each distinct personality. The art design was beautiful. Not enough can be said about the music, and I will no doubt pick up a soundtrack when it becomes available.

But the sad part is, I don't think I ever want to revisit this game again. Everything after Chapter 4 just crumbled before my very eyes. I kept waiting for the epilogue to explain it all away in some amazing way, but I blame myself for that.

Sigh.

I will always have that first moment when Greg loses his shit at Mae being home though.

armsflailing.gif

Dantis

Finished playing tonight. Ending was.. a bit crap? Tremendous game overall though.

Sat listening to the song covers on Youtube. There are some really good ones.

Ultimadrago

The more I think on it, the more certain I am I'll go back for a run with Gregg soon. There's also Germ, but that's pushing it. I'll Youtube that one. I'm curious though if he has as large of an arc (as far as episodes) compared to Bea or Gregg. If I recall, he doesn't even get his own
investigation
scene. That Germ, always keeping it low-key.

I have now played the game about three times and am on my fourth (and final!!) playthrough. I found out the hard way that Germ's "Arc" doesn't forward the day at all, so I could have done his portions during any Gregg or Bea playthrough. I just ended up doing another Gregg playthrough there. On the two Gregg playthroughs, I moreso rushed straight to the major episodes doing few side activities. I'm capping off with one final Bea run going over everything. I've been finding multiple new discoveries and dialogues in each of these runs. Crazy.

SimonChris

Neo Member
I have now played the game about three times and am on my fourth (and final!!) playthrough. I found out the hard way that Germ's "Arc" doesn't forward the day at all, so I could have done his portions during any Gregg or Bea playthrough. I just ended up doing another Gregg playthrough there. On the two Gregg playthroughs, I moreso rushed straight to the major episodes doing few side activities. I'm capping off with one final Bea run going over everything. I've been finding multiple new discoveries and dialogues in each of these runs. Crazy.

Gregg and Bea are the only ones whose activities forward the day. You can hang out with all the other NPC's to your heart's content without missing anything.

Ultimadrago

Gregg and Bea are the only ones whose activities forward the day. You can hang out with all the other NPC's to your heart's content without missing anything.

Yep! I wish I knew before, but it's all good. I already finished a majority of the events in my final play through.

Top Bottom