• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's getting Persona 5 for PS3?

I'm not that interested in Persona but the previews have me thinking to get this game as soon as it's out on PS3. I don't have a PS4 and won't be buying one for a few years. Also I think old-system cross gen releases are just cool, especially when the older system's release is pretty much the same.

Still not sure if I'll get digital or physical. On the one hand, I way prefer digital. But my 500GB hard drive is 98% full and I don't have enough space. Plus that physical release is probably going to be hard to come by in a few years.

PS4 is 30fps.

I can't believe this honestly. Persona 3 and 4 (and 2: EP) are among my favourite games ever and I loved the PS4 annoucement but how half assed is that version please? I might be ignorant but Persona 5 looks like it would run at three digits FPS at 4k on any current mid tier PC rig if there were a PC version.

Corginand

I'll be getting both versions because I want the Take your Heart goodies but don't have a PS4. I might buy one in my country's version of Black Friday since they were decently priced last year but I'm not sure since I also want a Switch :(

My PS3 is a pos and I'd rather not revisit it if I don't have to. I'm not getting the game at launch so by the time I do the price will have probably evened out. Anyway, beyond all that 1080p and a comfier controller are enough justification for me.

I can't believe this honestly. Persona 3 and 4 (and 2: EP) are among my favourite games ever and I loved the PS4 annoucement but how half assed is that version please? I might be ignorant but Persona 5 looks like it would run at three digits FPS at 4k on any current mid tier PC rig if there were a PC version.

It's a straight port of the PS3 one. They changed nothing except bumping up the resolution.

Also there's a chance the game logic might be tied to 30fps which is common with Japanese games for whatever reason.

Alfredo

I don't have a PS4, so I'm getting the PS3 version. I even pre-ordered it because I'm scared that the PS3 version will end up being hard to find.

JayEH

There's not much benefit for a turn based game to run at a higher frame rate.

MTC100

Banned
But Why?
  • The game was developed for the PS3.
  • Much like Persona 4 for the PS2, this is likely going to be one of the last if not THE last PS3 games of note.
  • Differences are negligible, mainly load time related.
  • The black header just looks cooler.
  • It's cheaper.

Good reasons, I got it for the same ones but one extra reason: I don't have a PS4 and won't buy one for a game that I can also play on my old PS3 in almost the same quality.

This is a myth. I enjoy 60 fps in every single game.

60 fps are nice but I can do without them, Persona isn't that demanding and a little less smooth framerate won't kill me. I'm not tossing out 300 Euro for the game to play it on a PS4, especially when I've preordered the PS3 version für 38 Euro :D

Elwainen

wow, didn't realize it was cheaper on ps3. definitely doing that i guess. also my little sister wants me to leave the ps4 at home so she can finish FFXV so i'm taking my ps3 back to college with me.

60 fps are nice but I can do without them, Persona isn't that demanding and a little less smooth framerate won't kill me. I'm not tossing out 300 Euro for the game to play it on a PS4, especially when I've preordered the PS3 version für 38 Euro :D

I can live with it too but why defend such a low effort version? Surely, we'd be better off critizing Atlus for half assing it, so they give it more of a try in the future?

There was a time before I got the PS4 a couple months ago that I settled on the PS3 version, but that ship has sailed. Even though I love the PS3, gotta get the definitive version of the game.

I'm buying on PS3, I have a gaming PC and PS3/360, I'm not buying a PS4 probably until TLoU 2 comes out, so Persona 5 on PS3 will do perfectly.

I also have a Dualshock 4 which I'll use to play P5 on PS3, so all good.

Maligna

Banned
I'll be playing on my Vita actually. My first Persona was P4G on the Vita. So many good memories of playing it at bed time.

So I'll be playing P5 entirely through Vita remote play to try and recapture that.

I will, but it's not by choice as much as mandated by circumstance. I don't have a PS3 or PS4 and I'll be borrowing the PS3 of a close friend to play it.

Eusis

This is a myth. I enjoy 60 fps in every single game.
This depends on how you define benefit. As in something that can improve gameplay? It wouldn't do much there. As in something that makes a game feel better? Hell yes it can benefit anything. Even Zork could have nice as hell text scrolling that way.

Anyways I'm the kind of person that would love to have all my games running on the newer hardware as best as they can with a few exceptions, and so I'd go PS4 easily here. Plus it's more pragmatic than dragging out the PS3 JUST for this.

I was sure only the PS4 version was coming west. Huh, anyway no. It would be dumb imo considering I have a PS4 and like the dualshock 4 a lot more than dualshock 3. Also isn't it 720p on PS3 and 1080p on PS4?

Here's another one: My 1 tb PS4 HDD is completely full and I don't want to delete any of the games I downloaded because re-downloading them would be a pain in the ass. I'm considering right now getting this on PS3, it still has more than 400 gb of free space.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. Yeesh.

Kilau

Depends, separate or shared trophy lists?

If separate I will pick up the PS3 version when it goes on deep sale. PS4 version already purchased.

LordKano

Why are people talking about 60 fps ? It's 30FPS on both versions.
Graphics are the very same between both games, only the PS4 version is in 1080p while it's 720p on PS3.

Talha

Getting the limited edition because I love Persona now experienced Golden last year and loved it's cast tried to get into Persona 3 but the gameplay was a lot harder than Golden as you can't control the rest of your party, I know this is diverging from the conversation but what are the chances of them cooking up Persona 6 along side Persona 5 as they did back in the PS2 era, it was 2 years apart from Persona 3 to Persona 4?

Gator86

Any news on Pro support for this? It's mandated because of the release date, correct? Or is it skating through because it's already old in Japan?

There's not much benefit for a turn based game to run at a higher frame rate.

There is a benefit to every game. 60fps isn't only about input latency. A smoother running game is a better experience

Before they announced it for PS4 I was going to get it on PS3

Getting the limited edition because I love Persona now experienced Golden last year and loved it's cast tried to get into Persona 3 but the gameplay was a lot harder than Golden as you can't control the rest of your party, I know this is diverging from the conversation but what are the chances of them cooking up Persona 6 along side Persona 5 as they did back in the PS2 era, it was 2 years apart from Persona 3 to Persona 4?
They can't cook Persona 6 while they are cooking SMT3 Remastered.

Right? Right?!

Tjamato88

I preordered the PS4 Steelbook Edition a few months ago on Amazon. Super hyped to play it. I've gone back and started playing P4G again.

P6? Probably 2021 or beyond.

But Why?
  • The game was developed for the PS3.
  • Much like Persona 4 for the PS2, this is likely going to be one of the last if not THE last PS3 games of note.
  • Differences are negligible, mainly load time related.
  • The black header just looks cooler.
  • It's cheaper.
I get the price and not owning a PS4 arguments, I even would understand if you preferred the PS3 controller or only had a CRT TV - but you're buying a worse version (yes, the load time difference is noticeable and it isn't 1080p) because the box art has a black bar? I think I've now seen everything on GAF.

I can get that actually. Low space has made me consider other platforms first, within reason. And here you mainly just get a resolution bump.

Playing a game on a 10 year old console because you don't want to delete The Order: 1886 off your PS4 harddrive.

Utter nonsense.

MavFan619

Banned
Yesterday I tried opening Hulu and even that felt cumbersome on a PS3, I couldn't even imagine opting for PS3 versions of one of my most anticipated games if I have the choice. PS4 version at a higher res even at $20 more is fine with me. That and I already digitally preordered it for one of the best PS4 themes.

Top Bottom