• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's getting Persona 5 for PS3?

A fellow gamer in the office down the hall is. He's really hyped for it too. Doesn't look like it's a huge downgrade or anything, so he'll probably enjoy it just as much as I will on my PS4.

Ventara

I'm getting it, because I was able to preorder it for $35 4 years ago thanks to a promo before the Canadian dollar tanked. Just as a reference, the PS4 version is $80.

robotrock

Banned
I'm going to play it on PS4 but I kind of want to own a copy of Persona 5 on PS3 as an artifact that yes there was a mainline Persona game on PS3

SlickVic

Yes, though the OP does mention it was designed for the PS3. There's no enhancements done to the graphics which means not all the textures will scale up well. The biggest advantage of the PS4 version is definitely the better loading I think, not that the PS3 loading sounds horrible but I heard you'll still be going between screens pretty often.

If that's true it's a bit surprising. If the game came out in 2014 I would've expected as much, but for something that came out end of 2016, I kind of assumed a lot of work and time went into improving the graphics and visuals for the PS4 version.

Not that it really matters. 720p or 1080p, I'm just glad to have a new Persona game in a few weeks.

Redrum_82

I went PC only this gen so I'm glad I can still play it on my old PS3 without major sacrifices.

Do you know if the PS3 version is going to be released digitally?
A preorder is not available yet on the italian PSN (only for the PS4 version).

I went PC only this gen so I'm glad I can still play it on my old PS3 without major sacrifices.

Do you know if the PS3 version is going to be released digitally?
A preorder is not available yet on the italian PSN (only for the PS4 version).

Will it be available digitally on PSN? Just searched and didn't see it

I was worried about the digital version too since I'm in Japan, but someone on Reddit contacted Atlus through e-mail and they responded saying the US PS3 version should be up on PSN right around release.

Kieli

10-30 fps sounds horrible still. and you should still get the game and support Atlus, they're not scumbags like most in the industry, so don't be one yourself ;)

You'd still need to buy the game to play in emulator, so how would one be a scumbag?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I like to use cheats after I beat games, and PS3 has that option, I also don't have a PS4 so there's that.

Whelp ... if this info on the megami tensei wiki is correct, you don't need to do anything extra for cheats. Just start the game in Safety mode.

Safety: Damage received: x0.5 - Damage dealt: x2.0 - Experience: x3.0 - Money: x5.0
Easy: Damage received: x0.5 - Damage dealt: x1.0 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
Normal: Damage received: x1.0 - Damage dealt: x1.0 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
Hard: Damage received: x1.6 - Damage dealt: x0.8 - Experience: x1.0 - Money: x1.0
Challenge: Damage received: x1.6 - Damage dealt: x0.8 - Experience: x0.4 - Money: x0.4
Critical and technical hit damage on both enemies and allies is tripled

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Persona_5

Replicant

No. I love my PS3 and my Gun Metal console is still working and all. But I want the game to look the best and want to be able to vid and screencap it whenever i feel like it and PS3 can't do that.

BigEmil

"The game was developed for the PS3."
And?

"Much like Persona 4 for the PS2, this is likely going to be one of the last if not THE last PS3 games of note."
If a person owns both PS4 and PS3 who would buy it on PS3 just because of the reason "it's one of PS3 last game" makes no sense

"Differences are negligible, mainly load time related."
720p compared to 1080p is a massive difference 720p in comparison is hella blurry and soft also seems higher AF on PS4 and yes loading times improvements in this game is a big plus too because of how many loadings this game has between many transitions etc it can total up to alot of time throughout playthrough

"The black header just looks cooler."
Lol what 😂

"It's cheaper."
Reasonable though only slightly cheaper for a worser version makes sense and of course it's not like the PS4 version won't ever go down in price too..:p

Some strange reasons bruh like your trying hard to tempt yourself and others forget PS4 focus on PS3 only lol

cj_iwakura

No. I love my PS3 and my Gun Metal console is still working and all. But I want the game to look the best and want to be able to vid and screencap it whenever i feel like it and PS3 can't do that.

Heh, can't do that with the PS4 version either. It's on tight lockdown.

b3b0p

Probably.

I only have a PS3.
I don't want a PS4 (nothing else exclusive interests me).
My PS3 works fine (OG 60 GB).
Unless it comes to PC of course (or 3DS).

Why not?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
For those interested, here's some screenshots from the JP version to compare the 2 versions, sourced from Siliconera.

I can *totally* see myself being A-OK with the PS3 version, the difference honestly isn't that much owing to the game's art style.. But then I have a Pro, so Boost Mode and my recent USB SSD will make the load times non existent which is always better for a seamless experience.

Top one's are PS4, bottom PS3 for each set.

persona5_ps422kvunh.jpg

persona5_ps362zuaq.jpg

persona5_ps432gvujy.jpg

persona5_ps342hu48.jpg

persona5_ps412dku00.jpg

persona5_ps355cucf.jpg

Saikyo

Going to borrow a ps3 and buy the ps3 version on psn.

Not gonna buy a console just for one game, I play mostly on pc.

For those interested, here's some screenshots from the JP version to compare the 2 versions, sourced from Siliconera.

I can *totally* see myself being A-OK with the PS3 version, the difference honestly isn't that much owing to the game's art style.. But then I have a Pro, so Boost Mode and my recent USB SSD will make the load times non existent which is always better for a seamless experience.

Top one's are PS4, bottom PS3 for each set.

Can't go back to 720p if I have a choice.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
If that's true it's a bit surprising. If the game came out in 2014 I would've expected as much, but for something that came out end of 2016, I kind of assumed a lot of work and time went into improving the graphics and visuals for the PS4 version.

Not that it really matters. 720p or 1080p, I'm just glad to have a new Persona game in a few weeks.

It's unfortunate but it was clear in the import thread that one of the few issues people had were the graphics. It's incredibly stylish sure, but that doesn't mean there's crisp texture work. At 1080p that just becomes more apparent.

Freddo

I'm getting it for my PS4 Slim, simply because it's quieter than my PS3 Slim. Worth paying the more expensive version for.

Eusis

PS4 is a good investment for Japanese games though
If you have a general interest in Japanese gaming... yeah, PS4 kind of is a good idea! TK is flaky on PC, and a bunch of stuff like this and Nioh won't be on PC, not soon anyway.

Maybe we'll luck out and see a bunch of stuff hit Switch too, but they're more solo console focused still.

IC5

Yes, though the OP does mention it was designed for the PS3. There's no enhancements done to the graphics which means not all the textures will scale up well. The biggest advantage of the PS4 version is definitely the better loading I think, not that the PS3 loading sounds horrible but I heard you'll still be going between screens pretty often.

Eh? You can easily see differences in the youtube comparison video. The differences aren't HUGE. But they are noticeable.

In short, the PS4 version has a different way of handling lighting and the textures are quite a bit more crisp. Certain details also seem to be a little bit more colorful. The PS4 rendering pipeline is probably using less compression.

I actually kind of prefer the lighting model on the PS3 version. Its more bloomy and glowy, matches the Anime cutscenes a bit better.

The PS3 version looks very good. But the texture quality on the PS4 is undeniably more crisp.

I will be getting the PS3 version, because I don't have a PS4. And the PS3 version looks very good, I don't feel bad about it, at all.

Persona 5 is what was keeping me from selling my PS4 (I did not use it anymore), but after multiple delays I ended getting rid of it. Now that somebody has offered to lend me a PS3, looks like I will be going with this version.

Top Bottom