• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

ekim

My last find :
msstudio-content-bb7-img.png

It came up here in the picture cycle :
http://www.microsoft-careers.com/content/ieb/ms-studios/

It's obvious that new titles are being made; that's for certain.

Iron Galaxy Studios is one of the companies that work as "consulting". They worked on Hawken port for Project Shield, and are currently working on DarkStalkers Resurrection.

They're currently working with Epic Games and 2K Games on a "tech heavy project", with more titles from Capcom coming their way. Epic Games' "tech heavy project" maybe Unreal Engine 4 tech demo. Did 2K Games announce any new engine?

They are also working on "a soon-to-be announced title for E3 2010" for Activision. Anyone knows what that title is? E3 2010 is way long ago.

Oh Microsoft, ugh. Starting out with the wrong foot, another sci fi shooter is the last thing the Xbox needs right now.

Someday, people have got to get over that a console launch is not going to be spearheaded by your favorite niche genre, and that lots and lots of people get excited for "sci fi shooters."

Not every console can launch with ..giant..enemy..crab.

As opposed to a different kind of game you know? There are so many genres out there, so many types of gameplay, that it boggles my mind that Gears of War and Halo aren't enough.

Point being, Xbox really doesn't need a 3rd sci fi shooter franchise.

I'll be happy if there are other types of games to support it. But a new console release is always going to have a new big shooter. I'd roll my eyes any other time, but at the start of a new generation I'm happy to experience any genre with the added power. Gears Judgement, for example, isn't doing much for me. I've had my Gears fill this generation. Announce a next-gen gears though... well you had my curiosity, but now you have my attention.

Someday, people have got to get over that a console launch is not going to be spearheaded by your favorite niche genre, and that lots and lots of people get excited for "sci fi shooters."

Not every console can launch with ..giant..enemy..crab.

You're really defending 3 sci fi shooter franchises?

It's not like MS has a bunch of studios, and this is just a drop in the ocean...

Tomcat

As opposed to a different kind of game you know? There are so many genres out there, so many types of gameplay, that it boggles my mind that Gears of War and Halo aren't enough.

shooters bring the most cash whether we like it or not. secondly a new shooter ip is not a bad thing. halo and gears are old franchises and probably especially the latter we wont see them for 2+ years inside the life of the new xbox. so a new big budget shooter is needed. of course there will be games from other genres so I am not worried.

shooters bring the most cash whether we like it or not. secondly a new shooter ip is not a bad thing. halo and gears are old franchises and probably especially the latter we wont see them for 2+ years inside the life of the new xbox. so a new big budget shooter is needed. of course there will be games from other genres so I am not worried.

By who?

I'm talking new Ip's by the way. So without counting Black Tusk Studios, and without counting studios that by the look of them are gonna be making social/kinect games, what are we looking at in terms of new Ips from MS?

So it looks like Nintendo are starting to tease (and show) their (beautiful) cards now. It means come E3, it is going to be almost all about MS and Sony. I think it will transcend from megaton to gigaton of an event.

Yeah, and those Nintendo games look pretty great. So imagine how farking ridiculous it will be when we get the first leaked, presumably incredible, screens of a Durango/Orbis game...

Tomcat

By who?

I'm talking new Ip's by the way. So without counting Black Tusk Studios, and without counting studios that by the look of them are gonna be making social/kinect games, what are we looking at in terms of new Ips from MS?

there is a list of the new Microsoft studios. but don't count on them only. There will be exclusive games from 3rd parties and of course some time exclusives too.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

It's not like MS has a bunch of studios, and this is just a drop in the ocean...

Well Halo and Gears sell much better than Fable and Forza (as do COD and BF). Shooters are their bread and butter for their core demographic.

i always thought one would be welcome. sony at one time had like 5 fps first party franchises going, and xbox was known as the FPS box!!??

Sony:

Resistance
Killzone
Socom
MAG

MS:

Just Halo, really.

I always though another MS shooter franchise besides Halo would be a good idea. Only in the past few years I always figured it would in the Perfect Dark franchise.

By who?

Microsoft Studios Los Angeles, Microsoft Studioss Victoria, Platform Next Studios are 3 new first party studios alongside Black Tusk. Lionhead are working on a new IP. Rare are rumoured to be working on a new IP. Remedy are working on a new Alan Wake. Plus a new publishing studio for developing games with third parties.

Plus, as has been said, Sci-Fi shooter is vague. Gears and Halo are very different. First and third person for a start. It's unlikely they'll want something internally competing with Halo, so I can't see it being along the same lines.

i always thought one would be welcome. sony at one time had like 5 fps first party franchises going, and xbox was known as the FPS box!!??

Sony:

Resistance
Killzone
Socom
MAG

MS:

Just Halo, really.

Gears of Wars count. But anyway you made my point, now nobody gives 2 cents about Resistance, Socom, and Mag.

Microsoft Studios Los Angeles, Microsoft Studios's Victoria, Platform Next Studio's are 3 new first party studios alongside Black Tusk. Lionhead are working on a new IP. Rare are rumoured to be working on a new IP. Remedy are working on a new Alan Wake. Plus a new publishing studio for developing games with third parties.

Plus, as has been said, Sci-Fi shooter is vague. Gears and Halo are very different. First and third person for a start. It's unlikely they'll want something internally competing with Halo, so I can't see it being along the same lines.

Well let's hope for that at least.

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
Maybe MS told them the truth? Kinect and non-traditional interfaces will be more important than graphics? MS saw the Wii clean house last gen with under powered hardware and a fresh idea. Then this gen they saw how Kinect took off with the same crowd. They made a business decision to go for a bigger net, not a fancy pole. What the devs want is irrelevant, they make games for what exists, unless they want to make their own box.

Now it could also turn out they made the call at the height of the Kinect craze, which didn't last long, but Kinect 2.0 could be something much more useful and integrated. I personally don't want to wave my hands around or talk to my console, but I'm a grumpy old guy and the market for the young and adventurous is larger.

Well, I agree: MS probably told them the truth, as they should. And their business decisions seem to reflect what you've suggested above. Ultimately, devs will work with what they're given, some will be happy with it, and others not so much. I'm just surprised that we haven't heard more pronounced whining, is all -even if it's just barely believable rumor mill fodder.

If devs knew the target goals of both systems, they might have said:

Hey, one system is severely short on ram, one is not - that's a problem. One system, is 50% more underpowered compared to the other - that's a problem. It seems we only heard the rumblings about the ram, but none about the GPUs, which I just find odd. It could just be a matter of sourcing, but I have to think not all devs are happy with the Durango direction, no matter how accepting they have to be of it.

Globox_82

Banned
Sony tried hard and fail with FPS genre. Sony was always great with TPS.

They should have invested all that FPS money into either one huge project or to but COD DLC deals.

nib95

Banned
Gears of Wars count. But anyway you made my point, now nobody gives 2 cents about Resistance, Socom, and Mag.

Yea, aside from Killzone (which I absolutely love), I must say, I'm not all that interested in the others. Resistance maybe a little, but I feel like that ship has sailed. Honestly, Sony's forte with exclusives is how diverse they are. I hope they don't go a FPS heavy direction. It'd probably be in Microsofts best interests if they kept things diverse for launch too. So far it's possibly a few different shooters and one racer.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Sony:

Resistance
Killzone
Socom
MAG

MS:

Just Halo, really.

I always though another MS shooter franchise besides Halo would be a good idea. Only in the past few years I always figured it would in the Perfect Dark franchise.

Resistance isn't first party. SOCOM is a realistic TPS and the devs experimented with MAG, being a novel large scale realistic shooter. MAG isn't a franchise either. So really Killzone.

it's not a fps which was what i was looking at.

Either is SOCOM, lets be consistent and not be a weasel to score points.

i-Lo

Yea, aside from Killzone (which I absolutely love), I must say, I'm not all that interested in the others. Resistance maybe a little, but I feel like that ship has sailed. Honestly, Sony's forte with exclusives is how diverse they are. I hope they don't go a FPS heavy direction. It'd probably be in Microsofts best interests if they kept things diverse for launch too. So far it's possibly a few different shooters and one racer.

This generation was said to be about shooters (people perceive the type to be "dude bro"). Hopefully, the next generation can be about WRPGs and JRPGs. The expansive repertoire of actions of RPGs would be a welcome.

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
We hear just rumors... so any speculation on who upgraded or not is difficult.
But to try to answer to your question, 3rd parties will adapt their game on what the console maker gives to them and will be very possible that external games will be very very similar since they will develop for the less powerful system, and to optimize for the more capable will take resources(money) and it will be hardly done, so why complain?
The focus is making money and they can with this kind of ecosystem: the power difference is beareable.

In this scenario(very similar perfoming 3rd party games) to me , instead, will be important kinect, it will add, if pushed by Microsoft, a level of "exclusivity" to the 3rd party games and could be an important(spendable) differentiation from the Sony console.

I find MS strategy pretty interesting it's a gamble in some way, but they can win it.

I find their strategy interesting as well; they'll enjoy a certain level of default success, just like every console maker does. In my opinion, it's never been a winner take all scenario, and I hope someone at MS and Sony finally realized that destroying or eliminating the competition is not a practical option; Given that reality, all the console makers should then be asking themselves: what do I need to do to stay relevant, and make money; does it require gobs of power, or just enough; And so on.

dbztrk

If Microsoft where pressure to upgrade the existing hardware, shouldn't they need to delay the unit?

Not necessarily. It depends on what is being upgraded and how it would impact other parts of the architecture and the availability of the pieces that they are upgrading to. I would love it personally if MS were to upgrade the esram from 32MB to 64MB. Kind like how they upgrade the 360's ram from 256 to 512. It won't happened but it's nice to want things.

Well, I agree: MS probably told them the truth, as they should. And their business decisions seem to reflect what you've suggested above. Ultimately, devs will work with what they're given, some will be happy with it, and others not so much. I'm just surprised that we haven't heard more pronounced whining, is all -even if it's just barely believable rumor mill fodder.

If devs knew the target goals of both systems, they might have said:

Hey, one system is severely short on ram, one is not - that's a problem. One system, is 50% more underpowered compared to the other - that's a problem. It seems we only heard the rumblings about the ram, but none about the GPUs, which I just find odd. It could just be a matter of sourcing, but I have to think not all devs are happy with the Durango direction, no matter how accepting they have to be of it.

Epic seems to have raised a fuss last year or two ago. And remember their speech about we want a huge leap forward not a small one ? I don't think these GPUs are as good as they wanted. I don't know how much the different memory setups will impact their engine.

Karak

This generation was said to be about shooters (people perceive the type to be "dude bro"). Hopefully, the next generation can be about WRPGs and JRPGs. The expansive repertoire of actions of RPGs would be a welcome.

It would be nice to have a switch away from one genre to another. But shooters just garner more attention currently it seems.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think that goes without saying. Prettier graphics always wins.

720p is not prettier than 1080p, especially since this barely any companies are making 720p sets anymore except for super low end sets. I've even seen a lot of 22 inch budget sets that are 1080p. Every single generation has roughly doubled the standard resolution, with last gen being higher, so I expect 1080p to be quite common next gen.

Epic seems to have raised a fuss last year or two ago. And remember their speech about we want a huge leap forward not a small one ? I don't think these GPUs are as good as they wanted. I don't know how much the different memory setups will impact their engine.

Epic came out a while back and said "UE4 really shines at 1 teraflop and above of processing power" or something.

Hmm, how many teraflops does Durango have? Just over one, you say? I wonder if Epic knew anything...of course they did.

anyways, i'm sure epic and others lobbied for more power, but for the most part thats long gone now. things are gonna be pretty set, time for lobbying likely over.

Gorillaz

It would be nice to have a switch away from one genre to another. But shooters just garner more attention currently it seems.

RPG's will most likely have more presence or be on the same level of shooter presence next gen. Skyrim helped reassure a lot of devs that a RPG can still go toe to toe with a shooter, even CoD.

So, You will miss many games during next gen for both durango and orbis

i doubt it.

ive been saying right along, 1080p is going to be the next gen standard despite doubters. not 720p.

these machines do have a lot of power compared to current gen despite the crying. that power has to go somewhere. 1080p is one obvious place.

seeing how good todays wii u games announced look, just re-enforced more than ever, next gen is gonna be mind blowing.

nib95

Banned
i doubt it.

ive been saying right along, 1080p is going to be the next gen standard despite doubters. not 720p.

these machines do have a lot of power compared to current gen despite the crying. that power has to go somewhere. 1080p is one obvious place.

Agreed. Especially if you're using GDDR5. No point having that bandwidth of you're not going to put it to good use. My guess is both Durango and Orbis will aim for 1080p standard.

They ditched voxels, so figure out...

I hope developpers think differently, 1920*1080 should be the standard (well, just as 720p was this gen) and I can tolerate sub full HD games anyway.

But please no 720p, 1280*1080 minimum.

The thing is, most of the people they sell too can't tell much difference between 720p and 1080(and all the rezs in between). Not enough to affect a purchase decision.

720p is not prettier than 1080p, especially since this barely any companies are making 720p sets anymore except for super low end sets. I've even seen a lot of 22 inch budget sets that are 1080p. Every single generation has roughly doubled the standard resolution, with last gen being higher, so I expect 1080p to be quite common next gen.

You can pack alot more bang in a 720p frame than you can in a 1080p one. Its just a law of graphics.

And 720p looks fine on 1080p, especially the smaller ones you mentioned.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

There are still lots of extra bells and whistles that can be added to a 720p game. I think some devs will choose it.

Maybe Battlefield 4 is even 720p with 64 players.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
They ditched voxels, so figure out...

There's no source on that other than a GAF post and it makes no sense to drop a primary feature, even if it can't be used on consoles. Full feature set of UE4 requires a 1Tflop GPU and that's before console optimization.

Eideka

Banned
Besides, that does not make sense to discard such technique if it can be used on other platforms.

I don't believe this at all, it may or may not be used on consoles but the UDK should feature it for those who develop on PC.

I'm defending launching with a shooter, even if it's sci-fi.

Some of my favorite games -- Bioshock, Half-Life 2, Deus Ex, and more, are Sci-Fi shooters. If Valve were to launch Half-Life 3 with the next X-Box would you bemoan "ugh, valve, starting off on the wrong foot with another scifi shooter."

Top Bottom