• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting the day with some Nav.

ay48zzn.gif

Honestly, if Des is repping Carti, who actually is terrible and 98% carried by the wavy-ass beats, I don't think we're fair on Nav.

Ahem.....

"Yeah but them Carti hooks be sounding super fly through my Beats or Bose speakers though."
- HighResolutionDesmond​

Alpende

Wrapping up my Kanye disco listen through. I thought Yeezus was pretty cool and TLOP is nice as well. Overall I liked all of his albums after listening to them once. Glad I decided to listen to all of his albums. I think I like 808s & Hearbreak the most though.

Nibel

And what a project it was, man. So good.

dJwOKVx.gif

Btw, Nibbs, grabbed Titanfall 2 during the recent sale on PSN because of your praise months ago. Really enjoyed the first two hours or so. Feels smooth and snappy.

Good choice man; if you already enjoy the first few hours, you'll have an absolute blast later on

And give the MP a chance as well, it's rad as hell

2u2EvTw.gif

vdaNTlO.gif

kai3345

Banned
i wish more people played titanfall 2 on pc

any matchmaking playlist other than the one for the shitty default mode is fucking barren

Koozek

Good choice man; if you already enjoy the first few hours, you'll have an absolute blast later on

And give the MP a chance as well, it's rad as hell

2u2EvTw.gif

vdaNTlO.gif
Real talk, I've never played anything online besides an hour of Uncharted 2's MP years ago. I'm sure I would enjoy Titanfall 2's MP because it's so fast-paced, but I'm not getting PS+ just for that. Maybe I'll subscribe for a month (or use the 14-days-trial, lol) when FFXV's multiplayer DLC drops in a few months and then I'll try out TF2's too.

Order

Real talk, I've never played anything online besides an hour of Uncharted 2's MP years ago. I'm sure I would enjoy Titanfall 2's MP because it's so fast-paced, but I'm not getting PS+ just for that. Maybe I'll subscribe for a month (or use the 14-days-trial, lol) when FFXV's multiplayer DLC drops in a few months and then I'll try out TF2's too.
FFXV multiplayer never coming out lmao

HiResDes

I listened to Tyler's album a couple times now and I'm able to respond to Consequence of Sound's take on it:

His persona isn't what bothers me but I also don't think the sound and subject matter really ever resonate with me. When I listen to it it's like I'm listening to Tyler rapping over production that sounds awfully similar to The Internet and current Frank Ocean. It's varied but I hear very little relation between the subject matter and some of the mid song tempo changes and slight experiments that seem to flutter throughout the album. The album's biggest problem is Tyler's constant reliance on humor and sarcasm nearly incessantly, which causes him to sound disingenuous at the most inopportune of times squandering moments of vulnerability and what little trust he's built with his listeners. I don't intend to tell Tyler to change his persona but rather I'm just explaining the disconnect I experience when trying to engage his work as an artist. Self loathing can be seen as an attempt to instill empathy in others but without any sense of real grief or pain behind it it almost seems as if you're poking fun at a version of yourself that is so fictionalized that it's not you at all. The persona in Tyler's music is like this gay clown, and it becomes hard to separate the confession of sexuality from the hijinks. It's why I enjoy the album more as background noise than on deeper listens.

I listened to Tyler's album a couple times now and I'm able to respond to Consequence of Sound's take on it:

His persona isn't what bothers me but I also don't think the sound and subject matter really ever resonate with me. When I listen to it it's like I'm listening to Tyler rapping over production that sounds awfully similar to The Internet and current Frank Ocean. It's varied but I hear very little relation between the subject matter and some of the mid song tempo changes and slight experiments that seem to flutter throughout the album. The album's biggest problem is Tyler's constant reliance on humor and sarcasm nearly incessantly, which causes him to sound disingenuous at the most inopportune of times squandering moments of vulnerability and what little trust he's built with his listeners. I don't intend to tell Tyler to change his persona but rather I'm just explaining the disconnect I experience when trying to engage his work as an artist. Self loathing can be seen as an attempt to instill empathy at others but without any sense of real grief or pain behind it it almost seems as if you're poking fun at a version of yourself that is so fictionalized that it's not you at all. The persona in Tyler's music is like this gay clown, and it becomes hard to separate the confession of sexuality from the hijinks. It's why I enjoy the album more as background noise than on deeper listens.

Good write up.

I think it's unfair to say that Tyler's sounds is too similar to Frank Ocean and The Internet, after all they all came out of Odd Future. Tyler even produces for Frank. I feel like it would be saying that all the 90s Wu Tang albums sound similar.

Anyway, been at FYF for the past couple days. Tribe was amazing. Consequence even did his verse from Spaceship and lead the crowd through a sing along of the chorus. BadBadNotGood brought ought Denzel Curry and did a cover of Ultimate. Frank Ocean might have been the best show I've ever been to. Ever.

Koozek

I think it's unfair to say that Tyler's sounds is too similar to Frank Ocean and The Internet, after all they all came out of Odd Future. Tyler even produces for Frank. I feel like it would be saying that all the 90s Wu Tang albums sound similar.

Anyway, been at FYF for the past couple days. Tribe was amazing. Consequence even did his verse from Spaceship and lead the crowd through a sing along of the chorus. BadBadNotGood brought ought Denzel Curry and did a cover of Ultimate. Frank Ocean might have been the best show I've ever been to. Ever.
Was that where Brad Pitt did performance art for him during the set?

LionPride

Banned
Flower Boy didn't sound similar to a project by The Internet, or Syd, or Frank at all to me. Legit sounded like an evolution of the sound he was attempting on Cherry Bomb(an album I still honestly fucks with today)

Dereck

His persona isn't what bothers me but I also don't think the sound and subject matter really ever resonate with me. When I listen to it it's like I'm listening to Tyler rapping over production that sounds awfully similar to The Internet and current Frank Ocean. It's varied but I hear very little relation between the subject matter and some of the mid song tempo changes and slight experiments that seem to flutter throughout the album. The album's biggest problem is Tyler's constant reliance on humor and sarcasm nearly incessantly, which causes him to sound disingenuous at the most inopportune of times squandering moments of vulnerability and what little trust he's built with his listeners. I don't intend to tell Tyler to change his persona but rather I'm just explaining the disconnect I experience when trying to engage his work as an artist. Self loathing can be seen as an attempt to instill empathy in others but without any sense of real grief or pain behind it it almost seems as if you're poking fun at a version of yourself that is so fictionalized that it's not you at all. The persona in Tyler's music is like this gay clown, and it becomes hard to separate the confession of sexuality from the hijinks. It's why I enjoy the album more as background noise than on deeper listens.
Flower Boy is a smorgasbord of good sounding production, Tyler is elsewhere. Basically the transparent unironic Tyler from Bastard will never come back.

Despite Flower Boy sounding better than Bastard, in terms of rapping and vulnerability Bastard will always take the cake, heh

HiResDes

Flower Boy is a smorgasbord of good sounding production, Tyler is elsewhere. Basically the transparent unironic Tyler from Bastard will never come back.

Despite Flower Boy sounding better than Bastard, in terms of rapping and vulnerability Bastard will always take the cake, heh
Spot on

Was that where Brad Pitt did performance art for him during the set?

Yes. It was an incredible performance too. Frank was in the middle of the crowd on a platform. Speakers ringed the audience so that sounds were coming from behind you, to the side of you. The entire thing felt like a once in a lifetime theatrical experience.

Numb

I'm still disappointed Big Boi released a forgettable album. And yeah, what happened to Trinidad James?
I really wanted that album to explode
But there's still songs I'll blast for a long time
Still can't believe he rolls with Hatsune Miku. The beat was 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom