• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Press Previews

Taker666

Couldn't they just use the touch screen for acceleration for simulation racing games? Slide your thumb up and down the screen for the exact speed you want.

TriGen

So there's nowhere left to preorder is there? I'm on the GS wait list but I got some extra cash and wanna get it day one now

Everybody has reached pre-order limits (in NA), but if you want to go and try to get one on launch day I think you got a decent shot. I have had a pre-order since day 1 but I still asked Wal-Mart about their stock. They told me they weren't taking pre-orders (putting in layaway in their case) anymore, but that they should still have stock to sell when it releases.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
iwvh8.gif

What up, everybody. So 9 days, eh? Hard to believe we're so close.

Are we going to get an OT for the launch or is that not allowed?

btw, the game case color seems to have turned out way better than expected! I was worried it was going to be bright blue like in the promo images.
Omg you are unbanned

Not really. ..but then again I've only ever played one racing game that used triggers and to be honest I loathed the control method. I've only really enjoyed arcade racers. Does touch screen acceleration not work then?

Touch screen controls are usually bad, especially if things get sensitive. Try SM64 DS screen controls or GTA3 iOS. It's clumsy and unprecise. Especially with the WiiU Controller not being multitouch, you would need to press in relatively hard I assume.

I think the lack of analogue will be fine for most arcade racers, but it is a problem for Sandbox games and Sims.
For some games it will be better (e.g. something like Dark Souls), but I don't think it's a good decision overall.

Not really. ..but then again I've only ever played one racing game that used triggers and to be honest I loathed the control method. I've only really enjoyed arcade racers. Does touch screen acceleration not work then?

It would be unintuitive & the lack of feedback would make it pretty much useless (the only possible way I can think of is for the two sticks to act as the Accelerator & Brake, & to use motion for steering, which would have its own issues).

I haven't checked this thread for a while, so upon reading now updated OP, could someone clarify to me, is there any confirmation in 3 days' time we'll be reading first NG3 and ZombiU reviews from major websites/magazines - IGN, Gamespot, etc. -, in 5 days those of NSMBU and NLand, and in 8 days all the rest?

I can't wait, probably there is going to be some meltdowns when some low scores show up, but we'll have eventually a better insight into Wii U's offerings at launch.

edit: welcome back, Guek!

D-e-f-

Banned
Yes, I don't see how it is possible to claim that the lack of analogue triggers doesn't make driving in games worse, it is a simple objective fact.

Using my earlier example, it really doesn't matter in arcade racers. You're either putting your full weight on the pedal or you're in last place.

Couldn't they just use the touch screen for acceleration for simulation racing games? Slide your thumb up and down the screen for the exact speed you want.

Sounds like a good solution as well. Not ideal but it would be a solution.

You don't get it. At all.

Sorry :D

Sounds like a the Nintendo-version of achievement whoring to me :p

"No cheevos? No play!"
"No activity log? No play!"

^^

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I haven't checked this thread for a while, so upon reading now updated OP, could someone clarify to me, is there any confirmation in 3 days' time we'll be reading first NG3 and ZombiU reviews from major websites/magazines - IGN, Gamespot, etc. -, in 5 days those of NSMBU and NLand, and in 8 days all the rest?

I can't wait, probably there is going to be some meltdowns when some low scores show up, but we'll have eventually a better insight into Wii U's offerings at launch.

edit: welcome back, Guek!

I've heard (on GAF) that ZombiU has an embargo until the 15th, but Rich has said their IGN ZombiU review won't be up until the 18th. Everything else you mentioned is correct.

D-e-f-

Banned
I've heard (on GAF) that ZombiU has an embargo until the 15th, but Rich has said their IGN ZombiU review won't be up until the 18th. Everything else you mentioned is correct.

yea apparently the embargo was pushed back or something.

though there'll probably be more print leaks out of Europe or something :p

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
iwvh8.gif

btw, the game case color seems to have turned out way better than expected! I was worried it was going to be bright blue like in the promo images.

amagad, he is back !

now there are still some others left (it would be cool if those who didn't do very bad things could be unbanned with conditions to participate :) ) and the WUST family will be ready for launch !

Don't hesitate to pay a visit to this topic with some infos on the Wii U Pawa ! :)

Ars Technica: Ten things that surprised us about the Wii U hardware.

www.arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/ten-things-that-surprised-us-about-the-wii-u-hardware

Of course, they're not that surprising if you've been following the Wii U threads on GAF.

You need a pen or paperclip to push the red button that syncs the GamePad to the Wii U system for the first time. It’s a minor annoyance, but not nearly as annoying as removing the battery cover (and sometimes the protective gel sleeve) to hit the similar sync button on old Wii Remotes. On the Wii U Pro Controller, the sync button sticks out so you can press it with your finger, which is kind of an odd difference.

You can use the stylus...

D-e-f-

Banned
iwvh8.gif

That horrible bright blue came from PR sending out .TIFF images (or the color format that this file type uses), I believe. When I used the press kit images from the Nintendo site and uploaded them to Giant Bomb they turned into the same ugly mess. I had to open the .tiff source images in photoshop and save them as JPGs with RBG colors (I think) in order to preserve the proper color.

Mileena

Banned
Everybody has reached pre-order limits (in NA), but if you want to go and try to get one on launch day I think you got a decent shot. I have had a pre-order since day 1 but I still asked Wal-Mart about their stock. They told me they weren't taking pre-orders (putting in layaway in their case) anymore, but that they should still have stock to sell when it releases.

Thanks, I'll try to go over there on day one at midnight and see how lucky I get.

Can we leave the analog trigger discussion out of this thread? I wanna read press impressions, not some arguments about boring racing games.

D-e-f-

Banned
Can we leave the analog trigger discussion out of this thread? I wanna read press impressions, not some arguments about boring racing games.

Agreed. The issue has been discussed to death in the various Wii U speculation threads over the last year and a half anyway.

Thraktor

amagad, he is back !

now there are still some others left (it would be cool if those who didn't do very bad things could be unbanned with conditions to participate :) ) and the WUST family will be ready for launch !

Don't hesitate to pay a visit to this topic with some infos on the Wii U Pawa ! :)

While people are being encouraged to visit other threads, perhaps you might mosey on over to this one and chime in (re: SIMD/AltiVec/VMX/etc.).

Also, on the topic of triggers, I would have preferred a XBox360-style trigger with perhaps about a third less travel and a Gamecubey digital click at the end. Best of all worlds.

May have been bad choice of words on my part. The DualShock 3's L2/R2 trigger have more resistance than a 360 pad's triggers. Also when pushing them, you're pushing them slightly downward instead of inwards (which in conjunction with their convex shape could potentially make your fingers slide off). Sluggish was probably the wrong word to use there. They simply don't feel as responsive to me (I played a lot more FPS games with the DS3 than I have played with a 360 pad so far this gen - though not because of controller preference).

To be fair, we were able to play F1 games without digital inputs on N64/PS1/PS2.

Btw, are you fellow GB duder davidsaurus that I have in my steam friends list and who continually helped me with certain steam purchases? :)

I would indeed be that guy :p I'm just not sure how they will pan out without analog triggers but dirt & f1 are sort of confirmed for some point down the line so we'll see.

nullset2

Oh man...this would be so, so good. All controllable throughout my home purely via the gamepad.

Nintendo, do this.

Here's hoping for awesome Wii U homebrew that allows to do this in a more comprehensive fashion than any Nintendo solution would ever permit.

ball's in your court come November 17, hackmii team <3

AzaK

Gemüsepizza;44185123 said:
Wow, in the video they said the shoulder buttons of the Wii U pad are digital, not analog? How are you supposed to play racing games etc then??

And didn't they also say "So Mario Kart will just have a stop and go now?". :\

iwvh8.gif

Holy crap Guek, I thought you were perma'd. Welcome back.

gatti-man

So is the base U a bad deal? I prefer white and I don't see myself doing much beyond AAA Nintendo gaming with this thing. I'm pretty pumped since I skipped wii altogether and now I can play some awesome last gen wii games!

So is the base U a bad deal? I prefer white and I don't see myself doing much beyond AAA Nintendo gaming with this thing. I'm pretty pumped since I skipped wii altogether and now I can play some awesome last gen wii games!

I think it's completely up to personal opinion. I went with the base model because I really don't have anyone to play Nintendo Land with. The game looks awesome and I think it's going to be a really fun game but it's not a single player game. I also don't really care for the extra accessories, I don't plan on buying digital games so I won't really need the discount they give, and I can just plug in an external drive if I need more HD space.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Get Basic if:

A. You don't want NintendoLand
B. Aren't going to buy much digitally
C. Don't care for the extra storage
D. Don't care for the stands included

All of the above for only $50 more makes the Deluxe the much better deal realistically though.

If I were you I would go Deluxe, especially if you're interested in Nintendo Land. Since you're not planning on using it much, you could buy all your games digitally. That way you could buy some eShop games using the points you gain from the digital promotion.

So what has been the general impression of the Wii U for the gaming press? Intersted to see how they feel about the console now that they have it in their hands. I'm not expecting overwhelming praise (I never do for a Nintendo platform), but it would be interesting to see if they're more positive about the console than before they didnt have it. I imagine sites like Giantbomb will be, unsurprisingly, negative.

gatti-man

If I were you I would go Deluxe, especially if you're interested in Nintendo Land. Since you're not planning on using it much, you could buy all your games digitally. That way you could buy some eShop games using the points you gain from the digital promotion.

Yeah the digital promotion would fit me better as I am a digital whore on PC. It's never translated to consoles though for some reason.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
So what has been the general impression of the Wii U for the gaming press? Intersted to see how they feel about the console now that they have it in their hands. I'm not expecting overwhelming praise (I never do for a Nintendo platform), but it would be interesting to see if they're more positive about the console than before they didnt have it. I imagine sites like Giantbomb will be, unsurprisingly, negative.

Well, I've just noticed IGN's Wii U survey - the results of which will almost certainly be used for an "OMG! Wii U still Kiddy" article.

IGN Survey said:
Q.5
Assuming you are getting a Wii-U sometime in the future, how likely are you to play titles with graphic M-rated content on the Wii-U?

A. As fast as they can make them. Very likely.
B. I'm not interested in this type of content no matter the console.
C. Unlikely. My other consoles are better suited for this type of content.
D. Not sure. Are they even going to make many M rated titles for the Wii-U?

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/09/the-wii-u-and-you

D-e-f-

Banned

Some positively surprised with some elements but also lukewarm receptions to features or the state of things all mixed together. The fact that the online part gets patched in next week for the press and all the embargoes we really don't have any useful impressions that differ much from preview impressions.

cajunator

Banned

Honestly it doesnt look like a bad deal if you mainly want the white console and dont want Nintendoland. You can always expend the memory in other ways and it seems to have little else extra in the Deluxe. Im not sure if it has an HDMI cable though but those are super cheap.

Honestly it doesnt look like a bad deal if you mainly want the white console and dont want Nintendoland. You can always expend the memory in other ways and it seems to have little else extra in the Deluxe. Im not sure if it has an HDMI cable though but those are super cheap.

It does.

D-e-f-

Banned

All HDMI all the time. In every box. H-D-Mothereffin-I :D

They're really pushing for consumers to see their stuff in HD.

Terrell

Well, I've just noticed IGN's Wii U survey - the results of which will almost certainly be used for an "OMG! Wii U still Kiddy" article.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/09/the-wii-u-and-you

Considering that the question is slanted to either make you a M-hating gamer, someone who thinks that it's still 1995 and Nintendo doesn't get M-rated content or a fanboy, with NO option for "maybe, depends on which games".... yeah, this is some juvenile bullshit, IGN.

MarkusRJR

So what seem like the best launch games? I got paid more than I though so I can probably pick up another game. I already have NSMBU and the deluxe Wii U paid off.

Top Bottom