• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your milkshake duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altazor

Do I want to know? I love Swans...

if you wanna know:
he was accused of rape by a singer-songwriter that had collaborated with him. Gira said it was consensual and admitted he had cheated on his wife with the singer, and then Gira's wife said she believed her husband.
I do not know what happeed after, maybe someone more informed than I am can shed some light on the issue.

Ace of Base having low key white nationalist lyrics are defo some of those unexpected milkshake ducks.

I remember reading about this a while ago, got any examples? :O

Oberon

Banned
Joel makes 'attack helicopter' jokes sometimes, and that made me have to stop watching his stuff. :/ Trivialising trans people isn't funny, even if he doesn't realise where the 'I identify as an attack helicopter/check your privilege, cis scum' stuff originated (4chan). So yeah, Milkshake Duck. Vinny's OK though, I think.

God help me if James Rolfe turns out to be a bigot.

Making a joke in bad taste that probably didn't intent to hurt anyone isn't quite the same thing as being a racist. Especially with meme culture and people not knowing where most memes even came from.
Of course I can't tell you what you can or not be offended by, but equating it to the other stuff here is ridiculus imo.

PSqueak

Banned
Micheal Jordan (that is, finding out he's an asshole, not necessarily racist)
Doug TenNapel (Back when he revealed himself a huge homophobe while he was doing early Rat Fist)

Im glad i never liked Jon Tron, even before he joined game grumps i kept telling a friend of mine that his videos were unfunny, overacted and unoriginal.

You might want to watch Going Clear if you think he hasn't hurt people while being a figurehead of Scientology.
Yeah, I know Scientology itself is a really scummy organization, but I feel like Scientology as a whole is more to blame for brainwashing these dumb/impressionable celebrities into doing their bidding rather than the celebrities being malicious from the get-go.

And unlike some Milkshake Ducks, I never really looked up to Tom Cruise for anything. I like a lot of movies that have Tom Cruise in them, but I never particularly cared about Tom Cruise himself.

Zubz

Banned
Hell, I modelled my fucking hair after him. Christ.

... I didn't want to mention it in that thread since people said they could "tell" he was a creep because he has that haircut, but same here. I wouldn't identify as a "soft boy" but I found it to be a stylish 'do.

One of my, like, 3 threads here was about hairstyles & I never followed up because I got superbly sick after getting the haircut. Maybe I should revive it...

Can you clarify Zakir Naik? My dad watches him a lot. I know he's been banned from certain countries but my dad made it sound like he wasn't at fault - what's the truth here?
Zakir Naik's Peace TV propagates Wahabi school of islam, which is ultra conservative and obviously you know that terrorists/extremists are big fans of ever since Saudi Arabia's nomadic wahabbism. Saudi Arabia gave him one of their highest awards for service to Islam. Peace TV is Saudi-funded. He is very wishy washy when asked if he is Wahabi but he says he's Wahabi if it means he's just a muslim. Then there's the obvious homophobia, he doesn't believe a person can be born a homosexual, that it has to be a choice. "Because they've broken the law of Almighty God, and they do unnatural things, that's how psychologically they become a homosexual...It's a sin, it's a crime, it will not take you to Heaven, it will take you to Hell". Zero empathy for LGBT muslims. The homophobia is not unique among Islamic scholars/preachers but it was a very disappointing reveal.

Laz-E-Boy

Hulk Hogan. I had a feeling when his restaurant banned certain types of clothing, so his tape where he exposes his racism didn't surprise me.

Guess I can throw in Ultimate Warrior too.

Jim Brown maybe

Yeah, I know Scientology itself is a really scummy organization, but I feel like Scientology as a whole is more to blame for brainwashing these dumb/impressionable celebrities into doing their bidding rather than the celebrities being malicious from the get-go.

And unlike some Milkshake Ducks, I never really looked up to Tom Cruise for anything. I like a lot of movies that have Tom Cruise in them, but I never particularly cared about Tom Cruise himself.
Scientology as a cult is messed up but also Tom Cruise has personally done stuff that is messed up, that's why I'm recommending the documentary if you want to see the specifics for what he did to certain women and how he stands by as abuse happens with the Sea Org. His movies' box office are used to partly fund Scientology, him bringing so much money to the cult is why it's still so powerful.

Jontron for me. Loooove his videos, but yeah, that contraversy is unfortunate.

I try to rationalize being able to still enjoy their old stuff. Regardless of how they are now and how I perceive them, it doesn't change that they made content I enjoyed in the past. No one is all good or evil to be fair.

Helps that Jontron hasn't really made new content in a while though. I certainly wouldn't support anything new they made.

Stoop Man

All they had to do was ignore volumes of racism that he actively endorsed and espoused, no one can judge them for that!

My gf's parents voted for him. They were taken in by his promises of economic growth and fell for his smears against Hillary. I don't even think they were aware of the extent of his bullshit. They just made up their minds after a few talking points and fell completely out of the loop. A majority of people in America literally do not know what they are voting for.

Are you talking about Ethan?
No, Destiny. Ethan is a friend of Jontron.
abm0vulzo6unwmxrb0av.png

Ethan never made a statement about Jontron after he came out as a white nationalist. He likes to defend racist behaviour, like Pewdiepie's. He's gone after WSJ for reporting facts and tried to slander the writers.

You might want to expound on this one.
Could be about Nintendo not allowing gay marriage in Tomodachi Life. They declined a campaign by Tye Marini who was getting married IRL and wanted to also marry his fiance's Mii. Nintendo declined: "The relationship options in the game represent a playful alternate world rather than a real-life simulation."

Eric Clapton
Is that his support and affection for Enoch Powell? Unfortunately Powell had a fair amount of influence throughout the 70's. And Clapton strikes me as politically ignorant (he supported/supports the Countryside Alliance) and educationally below average.
Or was it the lyrics from one of his songs "Sick and Tired" -

Or is it something else entirely that I've missed?

There are some people whose work I admire or like who I personally would have a problem with. Steven Wilson for example. Intellectual dishonesty is probably the most common cause of this. It's pretty rampant in general these days. Then again I don't look to deeply into the lives of these people. I'm certainly disinterested in celebrity culture in virtually every single way. I'd rather not know how deep the rabbit hole goes to be honest.

Timeaisis

Eric Clapton

Yup. He's a fantastic guitarist but sounds like a huge asshole in everything I've ever read.

:/

Edit:
Is that his support and affection for Enoch Powell? Unfortunately Powell had a fair amount of influence throughout the 70's. And Clapton strikes me as politically ignorant (he supported/supports the Countryside Alliance) and educationally below average.
Or was it the lyrics from one of his songs "Sick and Tired" - http://www.nme.com/news/music/eric-clapton-24-1391931
Or is it something else entirely that I've missed?

Well, he slept with his best friend's wife, wrote an album confessing his love for her, then cheated on her after they got married later. And also he's apparently terrible to work with and broke up Cream over one bad review. And also he's probably a racist, going by a speech he gave in the seventies. There's a reason he was only ever in bands for a few years at a time.

Chris Benoit was probably my favorite wrestler growing up, since his early WCW days. I remember us all going nuts when he won the Royal Rumble and then won the belt at Wrestlemania. Only a few years later, he murders his wife and son and then hung himself. Such a tragedy and it still makes me sick to my stomach even thinking about it.

Oh damn. Oh damn, oh damn, oh damn. Benoit is absolutely my #1 "milkshake duck". He was my favorite and most respected wrestler as a kid, teen, and young adult. Then I tuned into Raw one night and the show opened with a memorial picture for him. That was how I found out he and his family died. I was shell-shocked and kept watching..but then I noticed the tone of the show begin to change (as the wrestlers and crew started being informed of the rest of the story). I didn't have access to the internet because my laptop was in use, so I didn't find out that the newest reports stated that Benoit had killed his family and himself until directly after the show. To go from being sad at the death of someone you admire to being angry and confused that they were actually a monster in just 3-4 hours messed me up for a few days. I can't watch Benoit matches anymore without feeling incredibly uncomfortable.

Theecliff

Banned
add me onto the jontron pile. discovered his channel waaaay before gamegrumps or even before he'd hit it that big and i became an instant fan of his videos. since i had found his content around the start of his 'starcade' videos to be a bit disappointing i had sort of backed away from his channel a bit when some of the stupid shit he was saying on twitter around the advent of gamergate started cropping up. because i wasn't paying a lot of attention to his channel at the time it kinda naively didn't bother me that much, but when it turned out he was literally a white supremacist i immediately felt regretful and unsubscribed. looking back - as others have pointed out - his public outing re-contextualises some of the 'edgy' shit he'd say in early grump episodes as genuinely coming from a place of hatred. fuck him and fuck all his youtube pals who danced around the issue. the dude was retweeting shit like how non-white people were tainiting the white race's bloodline from a white supremacist's twitter. there was no fucking both-sides defence for this shit.

funnily enough i was probably subscribed to h3h3 for a record short amount of time. literally just after discovering and enjoying his content he started posting some questionable stuff, started defending pewdipie and hammering down hard on the 'media is out to get us' koolaid. when jontron got outed as being a racist, indefensible piece of shite, ethan's silence was deafening. figured i didn't have time for this shit and unsubscribed shortly after.

Valhelm

contribute something
Probably when I first heard about Woody Allen and Polanski?

Great examples, two of the most important living filmmakers and both monstrous individuals. I'm a huge Woody Allen fan and Chinatown is my favorite movie, but if I ever have the chance I won't be shaking their hands.

On a really similar note, Matt Taibbi is one of the foremost journalists on Eastern European issues and a damn good writer. Mark Ames is a co-host of Radio War Nerd, the best audio source for modern history and geopolitics. Both of them are rapists, having coerced and abused dozens of women struggling to survive the destitute poverty of early capitalist Russia. Because Taibbi is a well-connected journalist and Ames is a very niche figure, is unlikely either of them will suffer any ramifications for what they did in Russia 20 years ago. That they are both very important journalists, covering parts of the world almost never given decent consideration by the Western press, makes this even more disappointing.

No, Destiny. Ethan is a friend of Jontron.
abm0vulzo6unwmxrb0av.png

Ethan never made a statement about Jontron after he came out as a white nationalist. He likes to defend racist behaviour, like Pewdiepie's. He's gone after WSJ for reporting facts and tried to slander the writers.
Ethan is the guy who goes after the targets he wants, which are usually easy and aren't his friends.

His research consists no more of a few Google searches. And it bit him in the ass already.

His latest target couldn't be easier, a fucking youtuber whose whole millenial troll personality is fucking Gold for his audience.

You'd think cancer would have made Totalbiscuit a less hateful person. Nope!

My thoughts exactly. Sure, he calls out on some bullshit but it's damn trivial compared to the most vitriol stuff that has been said that he stayed silent on.

This is why I can't be a TB fan.

He gave a pretty dishonest interview to an Israeli paper/site praising the country and completely ignoring everything else, particularly anything in context with the BDS movement or criticism in general. http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Culture/Meet-Steven-Wilson-the-anti-Roger-Waters-452881
There is an argument against the BDS with regards to cultural boycotts. Even Noam Chomsky has made it, and he essentially supports the movement. But he at least makes a decent argument why. But Wilson seems to be totally disinterested in giving a shit and strikes me as intellectually dishonest. At least in this interview. Maybe he simply gave the Jerusalem Post what they wanted. Either way he seems either ignorant or woefully dishonest. I mean it's as if it's Israel only and Palestine, the Gaza Strip etc are on some different planet. Incredible.

Altazor

He gave a pretty dishonest interview to an Israeli paper/site praising the country and completely ignoring everything else, particularly anything in context with the BDS movement or criticism in general. http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Culture/Meet-Steven-Wilson-the-anti-Roger-Waters-452881
There is an argument against the BDS with regards to cultural boycotts. Even Noam Chomsky has made it, and he essentially supports the movement. But he at least makes a decent argument why. But Wilson seems to be totally disinterested in giving a shit and strikes me as intellectually dishonest. At least in this interview. Maybe he simply gave the Jerusalem Post what they wanted. Either way he seems either ignorant or woefully dishonest. I mean it's as if it's Israel only and Palestine, the Gaza Strip etc are on some different planet. Incredible.

aw shit, had no idea :(

Joey Ravn

Banned
The closest thing to a milkshake duck that I've experienced has to be Boogie2988. I think I honestly liked the guy. He came from a very hard family background, with lots of personal issues (both physical and psychological), but still managed to turn his life around and maintain an apparently cheerful outward disposition. Then the whole GamerGate thing started and he decided to confortably "try to meet everyone in the middle"... POS attitude that gives gators a pass.

The same kinda goes for TotalBiscuit, but I don't think I ever fully liked the guy. I'm a first and foremost PC gamer myself, but even to me his platform elitism is sickening. Then he revealed himself as a gator as well... Nah, son.

Fevaweva

H3H3 is probably the strongest example of Milkshake Duck for me. Some of his videos are actually, genuinely, comedy gold. But the platform Ethan gives to some real shitbags and their weird opinion on feminism really disappoints me.

Paul Pope. He was one of my favorite comic book artists out there, and someone brought to light some sexual abuse he was involved with and I was so incredibly disappointed with it. I'd rather just support the dozens of other great artists who don't do things like that.

Sianos

Nick Robinson being a milkshake duck is one that kinda hurts a lot at the moment. Like, stuff he's created with Griffin McElroy over the last year or two has been really important for me and has brought me so much joy, to find out that he's been using that public persona, that wholesome, inclusive image of himself that he'd created and the fanbase he's helped build up for that work to give himself power over people, to (by all accounts) be a gross dehumanizing horny creepo and harass people and know that there's nothing his victims are able to do about it because of the power people like me gave him, shit man.

Hell, I modelled my fucking hair after him. Christ.
This is how I feel, expressed better than I can.

Fuck Nick Robinson.

Have a feeling it's in reference to the GamerGate/CHUD (what's left of it) spin on a piece Hulk wrote about The Night Of mini-series.

I'm confused, because Hulk wrote a big piece about how Gaters were impenetrable sociopaths who couldn't be reasoned with that made him question their very humanity, from what I remember.

I've never heard anything about Hulk. I also want to know what he's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom