• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watching Dunkirk? Bring earplgus, shit was LOUD

Not entirely. It isn't common but many people have a slightly lower tolerance for high decibel sound than others. Rarer still are those like myself who have a greatly reduced tolerance. Sound starts to hurt for me at around 68 decibels.

I'd seen others on the subway with earplugs when I used to ride daily. Sometimes I would wear earplugs and the earmuffs that pro lawn mowers use.
So I’m guessing concerts and other load activities are no go for you. That’s a bummer. Wouldn’t using earplugs take away from some of the sound from the movie. Theres the constant ticking of a clock in the movie and I’m guessing with earplugs you wouldn’t be able to hear it.

Kambing

Seeing it Sunday night at the SF Metreon, I’ll keep this in mind for sure. Earplugs for a movie though? Would I have to keep taking them in and out?

Okay prior to this i never thought to use ear plugs for movies let alone concerts. Only time I use it is when I fly internationally. But yes, i would have definitely put them on 3-5 times during this movie.

I looked like a complete idiot because yes i covered my ears when it got really loud and uncomfortable lol

One of the reasons I'm happy the movie is out is that overly-long, stupidly-loud trailer they were playing in front of major movies leading up to it. I'm not surprised the actual movie is a threat to hearing.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
It really has to do with the theater. All the liemax showings near me just seem to make it super loud for no good reason. I think most chain liemax theaters do the same.

The Air & Space museum that has a proper imax set up is not overwhelmingly loud at all. They don't just crank the amp to 11 and walk away. The last movie I saw there, was I think The Dark Knight Rises.

Jkmetal

Banned
So I’m guessing concerts and other load activities are no go for you. That’s a bummer. Wouldn’t using earplugs take away for some of the sound from the movie. Theres the constant ticking of a clock in the movie and I’m guessing with earplugs you wouldn’t be able to hear it.

Concerts are my one big regret. Only got to go to one or two before the troubles.... If I was rich I would buy out an Imax showing and request that the volume be turned down to like 10% or something lol.

I use a Close Caption device to understand what is said, as dialogue is too soft when I'm wearing them.

Sorry for the thread jack but its cool to hear that someone else had my experience.

If you have a history with needing earplugs for movies, concerts, etc. then that's fine.

But don't make this like a first earplugs experience. Yes it's loud but it what makes the movie amazing. A treat to the senses.

Thanks for the warning, planning to go next week. I don't know if movies are getting louder or my ears are getting more sensitive, but I've definitely felt some discomfort during loud movies at the theater recently and I often have to plug my ears during certain scenes. Maybe looks silly but I'd rather avoid hearing damage.

So I’m guessing concerts and other load activities are no go for you. That’s a bummer. Wouldn’t using earplugs take away from some of the sound from the movie. Theres the constant ticking of a clock in the movie and I’m guessing with earplugs you wouldn’t be able to hear it.
Can't speak for this film specifically but I've used these earplugs at a few concerts and they work great. The sound just feels lowered, not muffled, and you can still make out music pretty well. I guess I can't say for certain that there's nothing I'm missing but I'd rather go and get most of the experience and enjoy myself than choose to miss out.

MC Safety

Anyone watched the IMAX 70mm version at Lincoln Square 13? If yes, how is the loudness there?

Do you mean the Lincoln Square theaters in Bellevue? Because that has 16 screens.

This won't be of much help, but I saw Dunkirk at one of Lincoln Square's regular theaters. I found the volume to be acceptable. It was even hard to hear the dialogue in spots, but I guess that's meant to emphasize the film's happenings.

I know the setup for the Imax showing is totally different.

Kambing

To clarify I really only recommend wearing ear plugs for a total of maybe 20 minutes out of the total run time of the movie... outside of that, sound was great and tolerable.

Damn so the actor on Colbert wasn't lying when he said that veterans of Dunkirk said the movie was louder than the actual event after watching it.
well that's just dumb
When ships sunk, the floor shook.

It was amazing. I had a worse time with John Wick 2, 'cause that shit was so inconsistent.
I had no issues with John Wick 2 actually, except for maybe the part in the catacombs, it definitely didn't stick with me at least
Earplugs for a movie...now that’s silly.

wow it's almost like different people have different hearing sensitivities and if a movie is unusually loud people don't want hearing damage, so silly

Logistic

My ears still hurt from seeing it 6 hours ago in IMAX. There is a low dull pain.

It is far and away the loudest movie I have ever been to and would not recommend it in IMAX. People were complaining as they exited the theater.

I had never been to IMAX previously and just thought it was the normal experience.

It was difficult to hear the dialog at times.

Lima

I swear people are afraid to complain in person and just do it on the internet later. I mean you should have noticed that it's loud during the previews. Could have just quickly gone out and told staff to turn it down a notch. Easy, problem solved.

ascii42

So I'm guessing concerts and other load activities are no go for you. That's a bummer. Wouldn't using earplugs take away from some of the sound from the movie. Theres the constant ticking of a clock in the movie and I'm guessing with earplugs you wouldn't be able to hear it.

You'd be surprised. Dulling the loud noises can actually make it easier to notice the quieter ones.

Kambing

I swear people are afraid to complain in person and just do it on the internet later. I mean you should have noticed that it's loud during the previews. Could have just quickly gone out and told staff to turn it down a notch. Easy, problem solved.

Surely this is directed at me? Well you jumped to conclusions because i did in fact inform the staff that it got uncomfortably loud. Also this is the first movie I've seen in theaters this year so i missed the preview... jeez man lol

Logistic

I actually did say something after the film was over. Unfortunately I had never been to an imax before, so I thought that was just how it was supposed to be.

I'll check in with you if I have any further online criticism.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I saw the dark knight in theaters years back at an IMAX theater with my mom, and while we both loved the movie we both agreed the sound was pretty ear rattling. Unnessisarily even.

And I think the $18 a ticket back then along with the sound pretty much solidified my avoidance of IMAX theaters because of it. It was just uncomfortable at times.

Cuburt

It was loud af.

Was startling and sort of appropriate at first but became exhausting as the film went on, especially since Nolan has a need to keep the tension elevated the whole film through the music and sound rather than the natural tension created through the narrative. It was probably another way to make up for the fact that it is PG-13 and the limitations that meant for the film about war.

I walked out behind some old gentlemen leaving the film and the first thing they said to each other was complain about how loud it was.

God damn. I'm about to watch this in my theater with Dolby Atmos. Haven't ever had a problem with a movie being too loud. Closest I could think of would have to have been Mad Max Fury Road.

Sande

The Stuka sirens (which was like 2 one second bursts) were the only sounds that were uncomfortably loud for me. Other than that it was quieter than usual even during gunshots and whatnot.

Maybe my theater screwed up by making it so muted, but I'm not complaining. Movies overall tend to be a bit too loud and this was just perfect.

robotrock

Banned
God damn. I'm about to watch this and my theater with Dolby Atmos. Haven't ever had a problem with a movie being too loud. Closest I could think of would have to have been Mad Max Fury Road.

I wish I had that problem with Mad Max. Thought it was wayyy to quiet on my first watch in a theater

gruenel

Can someone prove to me that it was that loud?

My ears are fine after watching it last night.
85dB isn't even that loud. I doubt any movie in a theater is less than that.

I always bring earplugs to the theater, tinnitus is no joke, I don't want mine to get worse. Shit can get life wrecking. Those who joke about it clearly never experienced chronic tinnitus.

God damn. I'm about to watch this and my theater with Dolby Atmos. Haven't ever had a problem with a movie being too loud. Closest I could think of would have to have been Mad Max Fury Road.
If you've never had issues before then it will be nothing but awesome.

The sound made the air on the back of my neck stand up. My mouth was wide open for half the movie because of how incredible the audio and visuals were.

I get it, some people have issues with loud noises. But let's not get a false narrative going. The sound design in the movie is absolutely incredible. It will win Oscars for it.

OnPoint

85dB isn't even that loud. I doubt any movie in a theater is less than that.

I always bring earplugs to the theater, tinnitus is no joke, I don't want mine to get worse. Those who joke about it clearly never experienced chronic tinnitus.
There weren't many moments of sustained high volume though. The explosions absolutely were notably loud, but I thought they added a great deal to the atmosphere.

If someone has hearing issues, I would never say there's something wrong with bringing ear plugs. I wear them myself at concerts. But I also didn't have a problem with volume of the movie last night. Loud, yes. Too loud? I didn't personally think so.

I just think it's funny how often Nolan's movies are yelled about for sound issues.

Ploid 3.0

Never watched a trailer for this but see the movie mentioned everywhere. I'll wait for netflix where I can change the volume quickly, and see if it surprise me (if it's good to me, I could look up reviews, though people seem to like it on the first page here).

Sound doesn't have to be extremely loud to be annoying. Was it annoying with how constant it was?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Planning to see it this weekend and already bought ear plugs after hearing this from multiple people. I haven't had any issues with other Nolan films in theaters though.

It's the only film to remind me of Heat with how loud the gunfire is. Makes you appropriately scared, like you're one of the soldiers right there fearing for your life.

Ploid 3.0

Hearing damage occurs at volumes more than 85dB at sustained durations. Is "immersion" worth that?

This is why people wear ear protectors when using machines like leaf blowers. I remember using one for a while then after a while I was starting to feel bad from the constant sound. I have no clue what the DB were on it, it's electric and seems not too loud. It's probably a good idea to use ear protection in the theater for that movie if blasting sound is constant.

Less than Interstellar but still too much for some. I bought my father some Eargasms to wear and he said it made a huge difference for him.

That isn't so bad I guess. This one theatre that plays Indian movies near me is far louder for no damn reason. It should be fine for me considering that I felt that Interstellar was tolerable at that screen.

The sirens on those Stuka dive bombers

tenor.gif

Amazing

Top Bottom