• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

$199 PS4
$299 PS4 Pro

They'd be able to withstand the Scorpio/Switch holiday onslaught at those prices, possibly even win some of those holiday NPDs.

I expect the standard PS4 to at least drop to $250 in the next few months. They'll probably switch out the current CoD bundle with Horizon at that point. So, that's going to position them for a temporary $200 price during the holidays. The holiday bundling will likely be crazy. No reason for them not to go all out there. GTS, CoD, Destiny 2, Battlefield 2, RDR 2...go all out.

B.O.O.M

Hearing Uncharted was originally going to be an open world steam punk game makes me feel weird man. On one hand..I LOVE Uncharted..on the other..Steampunk? Gaming world needs such a game real bad.

Come on sucker Punch

Hearing Uncharted was originally going to be an open world steam punk game makes me feel weird man. On one hand..I LOVE Uncharted..on the other..Steampunk? Gaming world needs such a game real bad.

Come on sucker Punch

ND: hmm, open-world-ish steampunk game. Nah, let's make cinematic linear indiana jones-like pulp action adventure.

GG: hmm, linear-ish steampunk shooter ala order. Nah, let's make open world post-apocalypse robot dinosaur rpg.

Gonna be hilarious if it turns out SP had steampunk as one of their ideas but chose to do something else instead.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I think Kyle Bosman put out a good video explaining why I personally like having a years long roadmap of games to look forward to. Besides, they've been pretty good about having a nice mix of things coming soon to go along with the stuff that is 18-24 months out.

Eh, I think knowing whats coming over the next two years lets me know I made the right decision in picking up a PS4.

The wait is tough though for sure.

My friend is the same way. He wants to see SP's new IP and whatever other new games get shown so he can either add them to his years long list of upcoming games or not at all if they don't appeal to him.

Starting with PS3, im not worried or concerned about Sony's first party games especially since the majority of them are single player focused which is what appeals to me first and foremost followed by the genre/type of game.

As of right now, I have Crash (yeah, I know it's Activision but whatever), Uncharted: TLL and most likely Knack 2 for the rest of 2017.

For 2018, im expecting Days Gone, Detroit, GOWIV and the Horizon expansion. For 2019, im expecting Death Stranding and TLOUP2.

I'm perfectly fine. Like, im good, real good. That's nine games (including two expansions) in 2 1/2 years.

Seeing SP's new IP at E3 sure as hell wouldn't be a negative but I would much rather see several exclusives get released first (Gone/GOW/Detroit) while there still being a few that haven't (DS/TLOUP2) and then see new games get revealed.

Not only would I be more hyped because im getting more games after already getting a bunch of games that I want but it also means that those games could be closer to release as opposed to if they're announced earlier.

If SP's new IP gets revealed at E3 2017, im not expecting it until the first quarter of 2019 at the earliest.

Sony has plenty of games already and that's before including third party exclusive content deals, psn games such as Matterfall/Nex Machina, indies such as Wild and fan favorites Shenmue III and FFVIIR. Seriously, it's stacked.

If anything, there's too many games. Okay, that's not really true but you guys get my point. Would rather see a steady stream of games being released while there's still 5 games that have been announced but haven't been released and then see a bunch of new games shown/revealed.

Plus, I want the games to be spread out when released especially for the main one on my list being Days Gone. I don't want this game to be overshadowed or too close to say a God of War release. Doubt Sony would do that but you never know.

To each their own. Regardless, Sony's press conference will be good either way and the future is very bright so im not concerned or worried at all. If anything, im bored of waiting for the games I want to play to be released. LOL.

The little stories you find on Google.

Sony Bend to relocate existing office by fall 2017

http://www.bendbulletin.com/busines...-to-anchor-crane-shed-commons?referrer=fpblob

One of Bend’s most low-profile companies this fall will occupy its newest and highest-profile office building.

Sony Interactive Entertainment’s Bend Studio is the anchor tenant of Crane Shed Commons, the 50,000-square-foot, four-story office building under construction on Industrial Way.

Crane Shed Commons is the first Class A office space to be built on speculation in Bend in about 10 years. Situated on the former home of the Brooks-Scanlon lumber company’s iconic crane shed, the four-story building will overlook the Old Mill District and the Deschutes River.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing credible, but if we believe this, then yeah, steampunk was one of the pitches lol.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=977531

If what that ex-Bend employee says is true, then im definitely hoping that Days Gone gets released with nothing major around it and sells well because if not, I can easily see Sony shutting Bend Studio down.

EDIT -

http://www.bendbulletin.com/busines...-to-anchor-crane-shed-commons?referrer=fpblob

Then again, even if Days Gone bombs, Bend should be safe for at least one more game.

SamNW

Good find. Thanks for sharing.

The most interesting thing I took away from this:
Sony’s Bend Studio has been growing quietly while working on a forthcoming post-apocalyptic title, “Days Gone,” for PlayStation 4. The studio grew from about 45 to 103 employees during the game’s development, and there are no plans to downsize after the release, Studio Director Chris Reese told The Bulletin in July.

holland666

Already a proud and happy PS4 owner.

All Sony gotta do is keep the ball rolling and man... if they could drop the PS4 Pro to $300 then even more hype.
In The Netherlands the PS4 pro is €328 already.
They bundle it with Horizon Zero Dawn for €388.
That's the price of a Nintendo Switch.

black070

lillybergamo-3aakox.gif

Never forget.

:,(

Frostman

If what that ex-Bend employee says is true, then im definitely hoping that Days Gone gets released with nothing major around it and sells well because if not, I can easily see Sony shutting Bend Studio down.

Then again, even if Days Gone bombs, Bend should be safe for at least one more game.

They are creating a visually impressive world with a spin on zombies. Unless it seriously bombs critically, it will sell well.

B.O.O.M

ND: hmm, open-world-ish steampunk game. Nah, let's make cinematic linear indiana jones-like pulp action adventure.

GG: hmm, linear-ish steampunk shooter ala order. Nah, let's make open world post-apocalypse robot dinosaur rpg.

Gonna be hilarious if it turns out SP had steampunk as one of their ideas but chose to do something else instead.

lmao I would laugh ..... then cry. The world needs more fantastical non-cliche settings like Horizon Zero Dawn. I mean just imagine.....

tumblr_m9ije8Ft5H1rr56cmo1_500.gif

$199 PS4
$299 PS4 Pro

They'd be able to withstand the Scorpio/Switch holiday onslaught at those prices, possibly even win some of those holiday NPDs.
Even if they were to lose in the US they have the rest of the world to compensate for them, unlike their two competitors. And price value is where it's at. Plus we don't know how much the scorpio is gonna cost
gif

Never forget.
Now I'm sad :(

In The Netherlands the PS4 pro is €328 already.
They bundle it with Horizon Zero Dawn for €388.
That's the price of a Nintendo Switch.
Yup, more or less the same situation here in Malaysia except the switch is a forced bundle with two games
some shops sell them at a higher price than ps4 pro

Of course they're not all working on Knack 2 but they just released The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2, you seriously think they've got a fourth AAA game lined up to be shown? Not going to happen.

A new IP from FromSoft is far more likely.

He never actually said it was from Japan Studio, people just made that up and ran with it. My assumption, back when I thought it was going to happen, was that it'd be a Level 5 game.
No it was definitely Studio Japan related. Not from other people, but from him.

FelipeMGM

I think this is good news. It must be because the studio is growing and getting modernized, they are moving less then half a mile from where they are today, basically down the street

Speaking of Level 5, what's the likelihood of them making a 1st party game?

today I think chances are slim. They are in a very different financial position from when Sony used to work with them.

Tratorn

No it wasn't. Go back and check his posts if you like, I have a pretty good memory with dumb things like this and had to point this out every time the rumour popped up.

Nah, he is right.

The first time he mentioned it, was in this post and it was related to Sony's internal studios, not 3rd party:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=65162306&postcount=335

And it were always 2 JRPGs he promised, don't know why people always talk only about one. Later he even made 5 out of it... (though those included partnerships with other japan 3rd partys as well according to him and not only internal projects).

He was always full of it, I still have to shake my head sometimes that he became so famous here. :p

Nah, he is right.

The first time he mentioned it, was in this post and it was related to Sony's internal studios, not 3rd party:

And it were always 2 JRPGs he promised, don't know why people always talk only about one. Later he even made 5 out of it... (though those included partnerships with other japan 3rd partys as well according to him and not only internal projects).

He was always full of it, I still have to shake my head sometimes that he became so famous here. :p

Bloodborne was JRPG 1, so he obviously wasn't just talking about internal studios in that Japan section.

Alexious

The mystery around the next game by Sucker Punch is really intriguing, by the way. I'm guessing either they've had some troubles or they know they have a winner on their hands and want to reveal it fairly close to launch.

That's great news. They're expanding the studio and moving to a new location, so it seems unlikely they'll be closed any time soon. I really hope Sony give Days Gone a big gameplay demo at E3 showing a bunch of different systems in play, motorcycle riding and a look at the kind of open world it will have.

No it wasn't. Go back and check his posts if you like, I have a pretty good memory with dumb things like this and had to point this out every time the rumour popped up.

I'm pretty sure it was an internal development too, but am of course happy to concede if I'm remembering wrongly. I think he counted Bloodborne as a big Japan Studio JRPG as well (I mean, technically it is), but also said or implied there was one in development internally. Anyone got the time to search through his posts?!

That's great news. They're expanding the studio and moving to a new location, so it seems unlikely they'll be closed any time soon. I really hope Sony give Days Gone a big gameplay demo at E3 showing a bunch of different systems in play, motorcycle riding and a look at the kind of open world it will have.

Yeah, I rewatched the Days Gone gameplay reveal and I found myself a lot more excited and interested at it now than I did initially.

At that point of time, due to how clumsy the little details felt (sluggish movement animation, gunplay didn't look tight, gun sounds were average, hit feedback on the zombies) as well as the fact that its setting is pretty unoriginal ( countryside post-zombie apocalypse survival shooter), I kinda dismissed that the core pitch of a huge zombie swarm is pretty interesting if done well.

Yeah, what I'd like from an updated demo:
- bike traversal through the open world
- hints of settlements
- crafting & systems mechanics
- infiltration of a zombie base and setup of traps
- zombie shooting chaos
- inclusion of RUN & GUN. Seriously, this bothered the hell out of me. Steal Uncharted's run-and-gun mechanic. It makes very little sense for the protagonist to not be constantly moving while a horde of zombies are attacking.
- shooting from the bike
- running away from horde of zombies on the bike

Verendus is one of the worst things that happened to GAF. He really had me hyped about things, and now it's like "you were just stretching what little knowledge you have and fooling everyone?

What a loser.

Soul Sacrifice could be that game. I can really see it working with an FFX style battle system.

Even with prettier visuals and AAA level production, I don't really see Soul Sacrifice's concept as something that would stand out in the JRPG space.

Not to mention it'd mean Keiji Inafune back on AAA production, and I'm a bit hesitant. Come back after Red Ash.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-06-30%2Bat%2B7.25.52%2BPM.png

cooldawn

Nah, he is right.

I wasn't a member back then but I read it all. Just reading this again something stands out to me the most:
Basically, I'd expect even more content from SCE WWS with the PS4 than with the PS3. This will be a great time to be a Playstation owner, both for new IP, sequels to some existing IP, and maybe a few blasts from the past.
Right now I still feel PS3 had been the IP machine. PS4 is still so far behind when it comes to WWS content, at least in the AAA space.

So sad.

Evilisk

It's true, it's Wild Arms Reboot + Arc the Lad for mobile :p

hq720.jpg

I know what you were going for, but neither of those are being developed by Japan Studio (it's Wright Flyer Studios and altplus respectively)

Also that Arc the Lad logo is still super snazzy looking. I'm actually a little bit interested in the Arc the Lad mobile title, if only for the music that'll come out of it (it has the same composer for the PS1 titles, and I really loved the music from those games)

camac002

Is there any idea out there if Ready At Dawn's AAA game is multi-plat or for PS4? (If they even are making a AAA game, I'm just going by vague memory.)

Seems a bit harsh to drop them after one dodgy game. Oh well, I guess I don't know the details behind closed doors.

Undrey

Is there any idea out there if Ready At Dawn's AAA game is multi-plat or for PS4? (If they even are making a AAA game, I'm just going by vague memory.)

Seems a bit harsh to drop them after one dodgy game. Oh well, I guess I don't know the details behind closed doors.

Well, they're working on Deformers.

FelipeMGM

Well, they're working on Deformers.

Deformers is out now, and work on it will prob be just online support and maybe a small live DLC team, but that depends if the game has a decent following. They already have other projects in the pipeline

They are working on Lone Echo, a VR game for Oculus

and are in pre-production phase of another AAA game

Lol doesn't really work now knowing how middling TLG was. (Don't kill me)

Die.

My GOTY in 2016, and I played a lot of good stuff.

I wasn't a member back then but I read it all. Just reading this again something stands out to me the most:

Right now I still feel PS3 had been the IP machine. PS4 is still so far behind when it comes to WWS content, at least in the AAA space.

So sad.

I haven't agreed with this for years. Besides Tools of Destruction, it wasn't really until 2009 that some of my favorite Sony games released. On the other hand, I adored Resogun since launch, and there was really nothing in 2008 that compared to 2015's Bloodborne or even Until Dawn or Tearaway Unfolded in the first party sphere.

What a weird jump for the studio. Still haven't played a single game

Passion project of the dev. Started in 2014 as a prototype tech demo game while the team was focused on The Order.

Hey! :) My name is Andrea Pessino, I am the director on Deformers. I am NOT here to change the tone of the conversation or convert the skeptics, but I just wanted to contribute a couple extra bits of information. I hope it's OK.

We will support cross play everywhere they lets us. Up to 4 player split screen, 8 players total per match, with heterogeneous teams and the ability to mix couch and online players as desired. 60FPS on all platforms (except using splitscreen on some platforms). Dedicated servers all around. We are building some very unique features to encourage competitive play – a lot more will be announced later.

As for the game itself, it is really hard to communicate what the experience is like in a video (much less a screenshot). It plays and feels like its own thing. Now this is not by itself a guarantee of quality, of course, but honestly we spend insane amounts of time playing it and it’s so much fun we can’t stop even when we are just debugging it. ;) A lot of the novelty comes from the fact that the game is completely physics based – the way the characters interact with the platforms and with each other feels very tactile and immediate (a main reason why we wanted the combat to rely heavily on melee). Smashing, blasting, grabbing, stomping, parrying, etc. everything feels very connected.

We have been iterating on the core gameplay for well over a year, trying to refine the pillars of the combat: fast and frantic, easy to pickup but very layered, centered on skill, social and competitive. Everyone we have shown the game to so far has had a really fun time with it – so we are hopeful we are on the right track. :)

On a personal note: this game has been a wonderful, emotional experience for me. The original concept for it is something I have been dreaming of making for over 25 years, that’s a part of it for sure. But by FAR the biggest factor has been the spirit and determination of the team that has built itself around it – they have turned it into the most rewarding project I’ve ever worked on, personally and professionally. It’s like a crazy club of shit talking gamers spending insane amounts of time together, arguing and polishing and experimenting and playing, playing, playing... We have a so much fun coming up with the crazy and goofy stuff, looking for the most gameplay possible and just spending time together on a small project we really believe in.

Now, I really hope the game will resonate with players looking for something different , but however it comes out at the end don’t feel sorry for us since we are having a fucking blast working hard on it. :)

Top Bottom