• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inkling Boy & Girl are the first black non-Mii characters in Mario Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.
maxresdefault.jpg
Who is that?

This is kind of a weird sentiment to me when I can look at this post and think "hmm, look at all this wacky ass shit that's been introduced *before* a basic nice looking whimsical black character in this 20+ year old franchise."

Because it's picking characters to use from Nintendo's Mario line, and recently Nintendo's brands in general.

Meh, this isn't really an argument worth getting into. I'm happy that this is happening and I understand its importance for PoC. It's ultimately a good thing despite my initial lack of understanding.

Could we expect a PoC lead character from nintendo in the future?

I doubt it, I like Zelda's fantasy world any of the Champions could have a good spinoff IMO

I loved seeing more darker skin representation in Breath of the Wild

I don't think they need a main they just need to remember to add diversity

I don't want to spend 10 IRL hours on an island to tan my Skin in Animal Crossing again

Are there even any black Mario characters?

Maybe in one of the RPGs.

Like...ninjis? Maybe. And even then...

The Gerudo people in BOTW appear to be inspired by middle eastern cultures, hopefully we see representatives added via DLC or MK9.

That's not going to happen. You can make an argument for Urbosa, I guess, but they'd go for Zelda and Ganondorf long before any of the (other) Gerudos. And I don't see them adding more characters than that from Zelda to mario kart any time soon. I mean, I guess Ganondorf should be the same skin colour as the other gerudos by definition if all you want is someone with that skin tone?

Every kid deserves to look at a game like Mario Kart and say "hey, that person is like me!" I don't understand what is so radical about wanting people to feel included i popular franchises.

It just reminds me how much of a shame I think it is that Arms is halfassing it so hard. They so very clearly want to hit that Overwatch-esque cast of quirky characters but it just falls so flat in comparison when its a cavalcade of white-slash-Japanese characters like every other Japanese franchise under the sun.

I doubt it, I like Zelda's fantasy world any of the Champions could have a good spinoff IMO

I don't want to spend 10 IRL hours on an island to tan my Skin in Animal Crossing again
Didn't HHD allow you to automatically choose your skin tone? I'm guessing the next AC will do away with the 1 skin tone thing in favor of what HHD brought to the table.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

Man, that bullshit was infuriating. I almost forgot about that shit

People shouldn't try and downplay this, it may not be a big deal to you but for some it's just nice to have some diversity that represents you. I like it when Hispanic characters are introduced in various media. It great that people can take joy in this.

Its great that Nintendo shows diversity in one of their newest biggest ip, Splatoon 2 has a dark female inkling on front of the box.

NintendoSwitch-Splatoon2-boxart.jpg

Kebiinu

Banned
Yes ARMS may turn to have one but don't hide it for later.

Also Minmin is cute and all with the Ramen bowl but a black character with a KFC bowl is not gonna fly

As a black man it sounds like comedy gold but that shit will backfire so hard

that is why I am a weirded out by Minmin it is touching a line that people are not even talking about

I was watching the recent Nintendo Direct with a good friend, and when Minmin was revealed, he immediately stated that her image was racist. Said friend is black, and I was trying to tell him that Nintendo was most likely poking fun at their own/Asian culture.

But then again...a black man with a chicken themed profile would definitely send me over the edge. So an Asian with a ramen noodle aesthetic? A thin line indeed...

PSqueak

Banned
Yes ARMS may turn to have one but don't hide it for later.

Also Minmin is cute and all with the Ramen bowl but a black character with a KFC bowl is not gonna fly

As a black man it sounds like comedy gold but that shit will backfire so hard

that is why I am a weirded out by Minmin it is touching a line that people are not even talking about

The characters in Arms are supposed to be corporate sponsored mascot fighters (according to the bios) with the exception of Mechanica (who made her suit herself rather than being corporate sponsored).

Spring Man reps a gym, Ribbon Girl Reps as a record label, Min Min reps as noodle shop.

Doubt they'd do that to the black character since it would be, in addition to racist, stupid to repeat a theme for 2 characters (restaurant, or for that matter, doubt they would make them, like, rap based since Ribbon Girl has record label covered ), that said, let's hope she is not repping something ignorant.

mazillion

And yet Nintendo isn't making games exclusively for Japan.

I have no idea what it's like to live in Japan, but I am imagining that cultural diversity is not as big of a topic on the mind as as it is in America.

But, yeah, you're right. Nintendo should be tailoring their games for their audience.

Bahorel

I fail to see how this is a big deal. This is a franchise where you can pick bones, baby plumbers, and literal ghosts as your character. It's not really the vessel for statements on identity, to be honest.

Really living up to your username.

Being a race other than white isn't a "statement."

Could we expect a PoC lead character from nintendo in the future?

I think it's inevitable and I can't wait. If Splatoon truly becomes one of their staple franchises, I would love it if they positioned the black and brown inklings as the defaults in the cover art and promotional materials. It would send a subtle but powerful statement.

Acerac

Banned
Pretty big deal, actually.

Why do people always have to step in to these threads to tell people that they don't care? We get it you're probably white.

I'm rather surprised there is so much apathy. It is long overdue, granted, but it's really nice to see it happen.

Garnox

Yet here you are.
Bring back the lawnmower.

Alright, I usually don't engage in these kind of discussions because I don't have a horse in this race, but for me personally, when it comes to games like MK I didn't think inclusion was that big of deal.

Before you crucify for me saying (and having my own opinion thank you) such things, immersive games like say Mass Effect would benefit more from having diversity and inclusion because you role play as the character that you identify with. Which they do a good job of. In a game like MK, I'm racing around a track throwing turtle shells at people. I can care less if I'm playing as a princess, plumber, dinosaur, or a person of different ethnicity than me.

A good case I've seen stated is younger generations will get to chose a avatar that they feel represents them. That's cool because when I was younger it WAS predominantly white characters (Link, Mega Man, Seamus, Mario, Cloud, Squall) and I don't know what it's like being person of different race/ethnicity, but I feel kids with their innocence won't really care either. They just see "Cool a dinosaur!" or "A princess!"

So if it means that much for you to have that kind of inclusivity in this kind of game, more power to you. For this guy, it isn't a requirement because of the nature of this game. Hence the "Ok."... not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just trying to add some substance to my drive by comment.

I was watching the recent Nintendo Direct with a good friend, and when Minmin was revealed, he immediately stated that her image was racist. Said friend is black, and I was trying to tell him that Nintendo was most likely poking fun at their own culture.

But then again...a black man with a chicken themed profile would definitely send me over the edge. So an Asian with a ramen noodle aesthetic? A thin line indeed...

Yeah I am just saying if Minmin and the whole food/race theme is accepted as not racist what is to stop them from a KFC Bowl, they could just point to Minmin and say this is just the black version of Minmin. I think being black just makes us more sensitive to these things because we see ourselves in that position and it does not feel good.

Minmin is cute IMO but yeah it is touching a line, you can call it either way

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Some of you guys smh, try putting yourselves in someone elses shoes before you go and shit on their parade. Hopefully this is the first step of many to introduce a more diverse cast to nintendo, it would be great to see a black mario princess or character, or the option to play as a black, asian, or latino link in the next zelda if they give us more creation Options.
BOTW has a whole bunch of hylians of all types of skin color, gender, size and age. And then there's also the gerudo. Its pretty great

I think it's inevitable and I can't wait. If Splatoon truly becomes one of their staple franchises, I would love it if they positioned the black and brown inklings as the defaults in the cover art and promotional materials. It would send a subtle but powerful statement.

Splatoon 2 already does that.
This is mascot for Splatoon 2.
inkling-girl-splatoon-2-37.4.jpg

Kart94

Banned
Alright, I usually don't engage in these kind of discussions because I don't have a horse in this race, but for me personally, when it comes to games like MK I didn't think inclusion was that big of deal.

Before you crucify for me saying (and having my own opinion thank you) such things, immersive games like say Mass Effect would benefit more from having diversity and inclusion because you role play as the character that you identify with. Which they do a good job of. In a game like MK, I'm racing around a track throwing turtle shells at people. I can care less if I'm playing as a princess, plumber, dinosaur, or a person of different ethnicity than me.

A good case I've seen stated is younger generations will get to chose a avatar that they feel represents them. That's cool because when I was younger it WAS predominantly white characters (Link, Mega Man, Seamus, Mario, Cloud, Squall) and I don't know what it's like being person of different race/ethnicity.

So if it means that much for you to have that kind of inclusivity in this kind of game, more power to you. For this guy, it isn't a requirement because of the nature of this game. Hence the "Ok."... not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just trying to add some substance to my drive by comment.

This. It is cool and i am glad for it but i really don't care and i don't think it a big deal.

Really living up to your username.

Being a race other than white isn't a "statement."

That's not at all what I was saying, and I apologize. My initial comment was that I found it strange that a franchise like Mario Kart was being heralded for this when you choose from so many odd zany characters that have no connection to the real world outside a highly stereotypical depiction of an Italian.

Moreso than anything, it's good that Nintendo is addressing adding PoC to their other franchises. It's a mark of progress that is truly appreciated. But it being a milestone in Mario Kart to me just isn't groundbreaking.

edit: ultimately what Garnox is saying

Bahorel

A good case I've seen stated is younger generations will get to chose a avatar that they feel represents them. That's cool because when I was younger it WAS predominantly white characters (Link, Mega Man, Seamus, Mario, Cloud, Squall) and I don't know what it's like being person of different race/ethnicity.

So in summary you're saying "I'm white so this doesn't benefit me," right? I mean you're not trying to rain on everyone's parade and yet you are.

Ivan 3414

I was watching the recent Nintendo Direct with a good friend, and when Minmin was revealed, he immediately stated that her image was racist. Said friend is black, and I was trying to tell him that Nintendo was most likely poking fun at their own culture.

They're not making fun of their own culture. Minmin's design draws strongly from Chinese motifs(not Japanese).

Order

Before you crucify for me saying (and having my own opinion thank you) such things, immersive games like say Mass Effect would benefit more from having diversity and inclusion because you role play as the character that you identify with. Which they do a good job of. In a game like MK, I'm racing around a track throwing turtle shells at people. I can care less if I'm playing as a princess, plumber, dinosaur, or a person of different ethnicity than me. And I feel kids with their innocence won't either. They just see "Cool a dinosaur!" or "A princess!"

So basically you're white and don't give a fuck. Why even comment

The characters in Arms are supposed to be corporate sponsored mascot fighters (according to the bios) with the exception of Mechanica (who made her suit herself rather than being corporate sponsored).

Spring Man reps a gym, Ribbon Girl Reps as a record label, Min Min reps as noodle shop.

Doubt they'd do that to the black character since it would be, in addition to racist, stupid to repeat a theme for 2 characters (restaurant, or for that matter, doubt they would make them, like, rap based since Ribbon Girl has record label covered ), that said, let's hope she is not repping something ignorant.

there are always ways to explain these things, it does not always have to be planned racism for it to be racist

I think the main reasons we don't get more people of color in Nintendo games is because there are so many ways you can do race diversity wrong.

stereotypes is one of them. It is ideal for an asian to run a Noodle Shop sure but seriously even with the sponsored excuse they can still get some backlash if the black character is Sponsored by Chicken Hut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom