• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Someone recommend a game for me to play literally all day tomorrow on my iPhone.

Preferably iPhone and not iPad.
I honestly just don't have the endurance to hold up an iPad for so long. Damn this cancer thing.

fooyee

Neo Member
Brainsss_banner_02_LR.jpg

Brainsss is charting in the top 20 games for iPad!

Thanks for everybody's support :D

Flunkie

Banned
Someone recommend a game for me to play literally all day tomorrow on my iPhone.

I honestly just don't have the endurance to hold up an iPad for so long. Damn this cancer thing.

:( I was wondering how you were doing, man. I saw the icon of Ticket to Ride the other day and thought of you. Unfortunately I didn't have time to sent over an invite.

Anywho, that "Gene something" game mentioned a few pages earlier looked quite good, and it's not quite ready for the iPad yet so that might be a good Waking Mars-esque game to play if you actually haven't played Waking Mars yet. Other than that.. The Bard's Tale, Squids, Sword & Sworcery, Ghost Trick, Spider HD, Beyond Ynth HD, that Jazz: Trump's Journey game..

Those are all in the folder of "premium" games that I've still yet to beat. :)

Hero Academy? If you play, my username is mikeydavis

Oh goddamnit

I spend a month saving up points to spend on PvZ HD on FreemyApps and now it's removed :( Did somebody say that Skygamblers was up? I haven't seen it.

Do they ever put apps back up?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Dungeon Raid. Thank me later. My girlfriend horded my iphone playing this all day long during my vacation, it was NOT cool. I had nothing to do :(

Oh goddamnit

I spend a month saving up points to spend on PvZ HD on FreemyApps and now it's removed :( Did somebody say that Skygamblers was up? I haven't seen it.

Do they ever put apps back up?
PvZ will probably come back. You can also try posting in freemyapss twitter or Facebook page.

Booooooooooooth. They are incredible, they show how well virtual d-pads can work. =)

I profoundly disagree with this. What they do show is how frustratingly inferior virtual interfaces are for platformers. Well, virtual buttons in any genre are quite despicable.

The games (LoE 1&2) are awesome. The controls, however, even if they are as good as they can be on the platform, are quite far from perfect.

I profoundly disagree with this. What they do show is how frustratingly inferior virtual interfaces are for platformers. Well, virtual buttons in any genre are quite despicable.

The games (LoE 1&2) are awesome. The controls, however, even if they are as good as they can be on the platform, are quite far from perfect.

No issues here. I haven't played the second game but I've done pretty good in the first game.

So I just bought Infinity Blade 1 & 2 for my new iPad 3 since I heard so many good things about them, and I absolutely hate the shallow, gimmicky touch controls.

I've been browsing through the app store, but it's impossible to make out the good stuff between all the shovel ware, what are some good games that work well with touchscreen-only controls?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So I just bought Infinity Blade 1 & 2 for my new iPad 3 since I heard so many good things about them, and I absolutely hate the shallow, gimmicky touch controls.

I've been browsing through the app store, but it's impossible to make out the good stuff between all the shovel ware, what are some good games that work well with touchscreen-only controls?
Stuff like Kingdom Rush, Spice Bandits, Ravenmark, Squids, New Star Soccer, Azkend (1 or 2), Cut the Rope, and similar things, work well with touch controls, Real Racing 2 is a nice racing game with precise analog tilt controls. Jetpack Joyride and other one button style games work fine too, as do point & click adventures like Broken Sword if you haven't already played them elsewhere.

Not sure which are updated to new iPad resolution, see their descriptions I guess, they were all previously in iPad2 res.

I didn't enjoy Infinity Blade games much either, or games that require constant touch input ike Aquaria (which is awesome, but on PC instead, where the cursor isn't followed by your whole hand hiding 3/4ths of the screen, not to mention it's cumbersome to hold the device and play it) or anything trying to incorporate a virtual gamepad etc, but I found games like the above work well.

Though I did play Death Rally quite a bit even though it uses virtual analog stuff, it's an exception to the rule.

Waking Mars, Spider, Sword and Sworcery, Papa Sangre, Another World, Osmos, Pulse, Fingle, Edge, Edge Ex, the Hecor: Badge of Carnage series, Avadon, Age of Zombies, Continuity 2, Crimson: Steam Pirates, Groove Coaster, League of Evil, Puzzle Agent and Death Rally are some of the best iOS experiences I've had.

^Thanks, Kingdom Rush looks nice, just bought it for 79 cents. I wonder how they can make money like this.

Guess I shouldn't except too much from iOS games, there's only so much effort the devs can invest with those prices. ;-)

^Thanks, Kingdom Rush looks nice, just bought it for 79 cents. I wonder how they can make money like this.

Guess I shouldn't except too much from iOS games, there's only so much effort the devs can invest with those prices. ;-)

There's more creativity and new thinking in iOS then in most typical console games. At least thats what is my conclusion after having an iPad for two years. It's a place with much more interesting and diverse gameplay field.

There's more creativity and new thinking in iOS then in most typical console games. At least thats what is my conclusion after having an iPad for two years. It's a place with much more interesting and diverse gameplay field.

Totally agree with this statement. I can hardly force myself to sit for longer than about 30 minutes playing a typical console game these days, but I'll whip out the iPad and play for 3-4 hours without even thinking about it.

I picked up Max Payne and really like it. Controls are fine. Takes a bit of patience but you'll get the hang of it eventually. This is actually my first time playing the game. I've never played a Max Payne game before. I'm sure many think it's blasphemous to be playing it for the first time on iOS but whatever.

GeekyDad

A kindred spirit...

But I wouldn't say they're "despicable" in any genre. In any case, I'm learning to adjust, though it's still not preferable, of course. Virtual controls definitely work better for some games than others. Where precision isn't so key, such as in games like Zombie USA or Pocket RPG, it's really no hassle to deal with. But yeah, the LoE games really do highlight the shortcomings. However, those shortcomings are obviously not felt by everyone. Some folks have an easier time adjusting. Seeing Wario's scores on some of these games is enough evidence of that. For me, though, I will always prefer the accuracy of physical controls.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Fuck this world. -_-
Hang in there buddy, you've got balls of steel, crash that slimy bastard son of a bitch. Believe, believe! I'm sure you will.

Anyway, my suggestion is Sword & Poker 2.

PittaGAF

I couldn't resist so I 'blindly' bought Gene Effect.

3 hours later...

WOW....just WOW!!!!
Graphics and sounds are INSANE especially after activating bloom and lens flare in the the options (strangely off by default, noticed NO slowdown on my iPhone 4S).

I'm loving it, from graphics to story, from sounds to controls.
Playing in the dark with headphones is superb!!!

There are some minor quirks I hope get patched soon (mostly: no device rotation and no in mission save/multitask...the game loads freaking fast tough) but I'm really loving it.
A nice Alien (the movie) vibe combined in a Aquaria/Waking Mars type package.
I wish it wasn't so mission segmented and I'm ignoring all the scoring stuff, but I'm loving it nonetheless.
If you have any question, feel free to ask.
Now back to my exploring ship :)

Zeth

Have I missed any good games in the past few weeks? I've been out of the loop a little. And playing Cave stuff exclusively (bitten by the shmup bug HARD, got the US-playable 360 games too) Ski Safari is pretty fun.

Anything coming soon to look out for?

Anno

GAF, please recommend some good tower defense games that run well on a 1st gen iPad. My girlfriend is going through the ones I know pretty quickly. So far she's done about everything there is to do in:

-Jelly Defense
-Field Runners
-Kingdom Rush

Perhaps unsurprisingly she enjoys games with "cute" art styles, but she'll apparently play anything that's good.

MasLegio

Banned
GAF, please recommend some good tower defense games that run well on a 1st gen iPad. My girlfriend is going through the ones I know pretty quickly. So far she's done about everything there is to do in:

-Jelly Defense
-Field Runners
-Kingdom Rush

Perhaps unsurprisingly she enjoys games with "cute" art styles, but she'll apparently play anything that's good.

Spice Bandits
Plants vs Zombies

Heel

You guys were right, League of Evil is great. A few frustrating moments with the controls, but that's about the best you can do with a virtual d-pad.

Reese-015

I couldn't resist so I 'blindly' bought Gene Effect.

3 hours later...

WOW....just WOW!!!!
Graphics and sounds are INSANE especially after activating bloom and lens flare in the the options (strangely off by default, noticed NO slowdown on my iPhone 4S).

I'm loving it, from graphics to story, from sounds to controls.
Playing in the dark with headphones is superb!!!

There are some minor quirks I hope get patched soon (mostly: no device rotation and no in mission save/multitask...the game loads freaking fast tough) but I'm really loving it.
A nice Alien (the movie) vibe combined in a Aquaria/Waking Mars type package.
I wish it wasn't so mission segmented and I'm ignoring all the scoring stuff, but I'm loving it nonetheless.
If you have any question, feel free to ask.
Now back to my exploring ship :)

Definitely putting this on my want list now, it appeals to me more than Waking Mars from what I've seen. Wonder if it also runs smoothly on iPhone 4 with everything maxed out, that'd be cool!

RedAssedApe

Banned
Been trying out all the telltale titles with free episode I's. Ugh...these really are terrible ports. Virtual joysticks should not exist in these type of games. Some anti- aliasing would be nice too.

. Do the other similar type of adventure titles like broken sword control like garbage too?

Ambitious

Thought of getting one of the Monkey Island games or Broken Sword. Should I?

The thing is, I prefer easier or more streamlined Point'n'Click games. I hate it when there's a huge bunch of possible commands (see, smell, take, give, talk, use, combine etc.) as I usually end up trying all combinations of commands and objects or just use a guide, because the actions I find intuitive just don't work and differ highly from the thing I'm supposed to do.

I played Monkey Island 1 SE on the Xbox when it was released, but I had to rely on guides too often. I'm just too impatient.

I love PnC games like Machinarium or Tiny Bang Story. Anyone of you know The Gene Machine? I loved that one.

GJS

Been trying out all the telltale titles with free episode I's. Ugh...these really are terrible ports. Virtual joysticks should not exist in these type of games. Some anti- aliasing would be nice too.

. Do the other similar type of adventure titles like broken sword control like garbage too?

They used the virtual joystick on the PC for Sam and Max season 3 and back to the future as well.

Hector is fine and uses point and click to move.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

The thing is, I prefer easier or more streamlined Point'n'Click games. I hate it when there's a huge bunch of possible commands (see, smell, take, give, talk, use, combine etc.) as I usually end up trying all combinations of commands and objects or just use a guide, because the actions I find intuitive just don't work and differ highly from the thing I'm supposed to do.

I played Monkey Island 1 SE on the Xbox when it was released, but I had to rely on guides too often. I'm just too impatient.

I love PnC games like Machinarium or Tiny Bang Story. Anyone of you know The Gene Machine? I loved that one.

Both Monkey Island and Broken Sword are awesome. I personally like Monkey Island 1&2 better than the Monkey Island TALES games, simply because they're not made in 3D and have more of the original flair. But really, both Broken Sword and Monkey Island are awesome series and games and you can't go wrong. Personally, I think I enjoyed Broken Sword more, but that might only be because I already knew the Monkey Island games from playing them on PC :p

I love the Monkey Island and Broken Sword games but if you had to keep going to a guide and don't like doing that then you should probably skip them. Check out some of TellTale's stuff. Puzzle Agent 1 and 2 in particular are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom