• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is there no Battle Royale game on consoles?

LordRaptor

Well someone would probably have to actually finish their early access battle royale game for it to get a console release for starters...

These sorts of entirely multiplayer driven titles are just being honest that there's never really a point where you can declare that they're 'done', as they will by necessity need to be perpetually tweaked, balanced and rebalanced as long as they are growing.

Brashnir

Because console publishers these days don't greenlight anything that hasn't already been proven to be a big-selling concept.

Arulan

I think it's important to look at the origins of some of the most popular games on PC such as League of Legends, Dota 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS.

They, and many others come directly from mods. Player-created content that ultimately creates new genres. The difference in how an open-platform allows for this kind of innovation, the creation of content, and their success is wildly different from closed-platforms (consoles). It's not to say that they can't eventually come to consoles, but it's worth pointing out how these hits come to be, based on the inherit differences of the platforms.

DPB

Wouldn't this qualify as port begging? I'm certain it would be if it was the other way around.

There's no rule against creating a separate thread to talk about a hypothetical version of a game. The "port begging" rule is only there to stop existing threads getting derailed, like an announcement one.

shanafan

I'm fine with it being on PC. With Steam now supporting all controllers, I can easily play PUBG with a controller - and do quite well!

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Wouldn't this qualify as port begging? I'm certain it would be if it was the other way around.

Did you even read the OP? I'm not begging for a console port. I've been playing the hell out of PUBG the last few weeks. I'm wondering why this hugely successful genre on PC that would be fine with a controller doesn't even have a cash grab clone available on consoles.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
What is a Battle Royale game? Something like the movie of said name? Wouldn't Danganronpa (esp. 2) count then?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
If we can choose, I'd like a version with less modern counterstrike-ish shooting, and more variation in weapons, kinda like the actual "Battle Royale", where like on guy starts with a (hard to use) gun, but others with frying pans or spears and shit, and where newfound weapons are really a cool thing to find, not a bunch of'em in near every building.

Also, more variation in maps so you can't really "know" each map as quickly, and maybe a bit longer playtime per match, options to freely form teams (and betray them), fun visual progression as a long term goal, and so many more wishes lol.

The concept's out there now, so I'm sure we'll see many variations of the theme soon-ish.

Bert

I thought this was about the film.

And was coming in to say I didn't think that was very likely.

Same.

Now I want this, complete with random weapons and massive open world gameplay. Though it'd end up a Hunger Games/Battle Royale With Cheese game these days I'd guess. Probably wouldn't get teenagers killing each other past the censors either.

Edit: actually clicked on some links, it seems this is what we are talking about and it exists. None of them look any good though. They all look like low budget PC games.

jet1911

Same.

Now I want this, complete with random weapons and massive open world gameplay. Though it'd end up a Hunger Games/Battle Royale With Cheese game these days I'd guess. Probably wouldn't get teenagers killing each other past the censors either.

Edit: actually clicked on some links, it seems this is what we are talking about and it exists. None of them look any good though. They all look like low budget PC games.

Battlegrounds is my GOTY. Is amazingly fun.

PudieRSC

So I went to game design school like 15 or so years ago. Never finished and not in the industry.

But in one of my first classes I had to do a game design document and decided to do Battle Royale because I was obsessed with the movie at the time.

It was actually pretty good. The island was divided into zones that were safe or extra dangerous and constantly moving. There was all sorts of weapons and crafting, but mostly melee. And there was even some clues hinting at how to get the happy ending and escape with friends. Though looking back I'd probably remove that part.

I presented it, and my teacher dismissed it pretty much outright. Said a game with kids killing each other would never sell.

I had a good laugh when Hunger Games made a billion dollars.

GodofWine

Remember that thread from yesterday talking about why consoles don't do 60fps, well its gonna be the same reason that PUBG / KOTK (and games like Ark run bad) or games like it aren' on console, the CPU just won't do it.

I'm going to think positively and say by time the PS5 / Scorpio 2 launch, AMD will have incorporated Ryzen tech and Vega tech into a really incredible APU and this won't be a concern.

The culling is only 25 people (not saying that like its a bad thing) so it's a little scaled down already in terms of map size and player count, hence it should work as well as any FPS. But if people want 100 people, on a huge island with a huge amount of loot being moved around, not yet, not on Jaguar.

(I basically built a budget gaming PC for PUBG, $450 not including monitor, runs it great, so Im optimistic consoles will run this in 2 years)

Roland1979

Probably has something to do with children brutally murdering each other in realistic ways

Do you think it's a murder simulator? Because i think it's a murder simulator. Also, where will it end? (Always throw in the slippery slope argument, even though it's flawed usually and weak at best).

RdN

There were some news a while back about the devs of PUBG already having it running on XBO with Game Preview, and that they were now focusing on performance... So it's just a matter of time.

Meanwhile, The Culling is coming out on Xbox next week. It's just 16 players online, so not much of a real KOTH experience, but should atract some.

heringer

Never heard of this PUBG game before. Just watched some videos, it looks awesome! I'm not big on online games, but will be buying it on Steam tonight!

Sanador

I never really had any interest in this genre myself but bought PUBG sight unseen after hearing people sing it's praises, and damn.... it's fun as hell. One of my favorite games of the year easily. Put about 30 hours into it in a week playing with GAF discord bros. It's a simple concept but it gets incredibly tense at the late game stages.

PUBG came out and sold 1.5 mil+ in a month. H1Z1 KOTK has sold 5 mil+. Both games hover around 100k concurrent players and have generated a ton of money.

It just seems so weird that consoles don't even have a clone. It's not like third person shooters don't work with a controller. People are missing out and devs are leaving money on the table.

It's coming to console once they finish the PC version. It's still early access.

In the meantime: The Division Survival mode gives you a good taste of the Battle Royale style experience. It's quite fun.

ElCidTmax

I have to believe that the major publishers have noticed PUBG's massive popularity in sales and with streamers. Imagine what the game would be if it were made by DICE or Respawn. I would love a better lighting engine and less jank opening doors and picking up items.

Nheco

they are all a bug ridden fest... but eventually, even open world survivals ended in consoles, so, it's just a matter of time. Also, I think it's already confirmed that Playerunknowns will be released for Xbox One... I think.

Sanador

they are all bug ridden fest... but eventually, even open world survivals ended in consoles, so, it's just a matter of time. Also, I think it's already confirmed that Playerunknowns will be released for Xbox One... I think.

I just listened to an interview with PlayerUnknown on the Game Informer podcast. He said they are definitely bringing it to consoles, but want to finish the PC version first. It's a really good interview if you are interested in PUBG. Highly recommend.

Durante

It's a relatively new genre that has grown out of the survival/crafting games/mods that blew up on PC originally.

I'm sure these type of games will end up on consoles eventually too.
I think it's important to look at the origins of some of the most popular games on PC such as League of Legends, Dota 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS.

They, and many others come directly from mods. Player-created content that ultimately creates new genres. The difference in how an open-platform allows for this kind of innovation, the creation of content, and their success is wildly different from closed-platforms (consoles). It's not to say that they can't eventually come to consoles, but it's worth pointing out how these hits come to be, based on the inherit differences of the platforms.
Pretty much.

New genres are far more likely to emerge on an open platform. Those that are wildly successful and which can work on consoles will eventually end up there, but it takes a while.

What about survival mode in the division? The concept is very similar...it's just the win condition is different (extract versus last person standing).

I think that's one of the closest things you can get on console right now.

FluxWaveZ

What's the difference between battle royal and a regular 3rd person shooter?

1. Focus on FFA (or multiple teams against each other)
2. A very large map.
3. Way slower paced than the typical third-person shooter multiplayer.
4. No respawning or regenerating health.
5. Having to gather your own resources and weapons.

Etc. It's a significantly different feel.

What's the difference between battle royal and a regular 3rd person shooter?

It's open world with no respawns. Map is huge as well (at least in PUBG) at 8×8km.

Lots of buildings, all enterable, lots of loot you have to scavenge as everybody spawns with only the clothes on their back.

Damn hectic when you and another person land next to each other and you're both scavenging for a gun ASAP.

Look up some. Videos of PUBG to get a feel for it. Game is just wonderful

Isn't H1Z1 supposed to come to PS4? I thought it was being made by Sony Online.

Sony sold the studio, they're known as Daybreak studios now

Hip Hop

I'd like to know as well as to why big publishers haven't jumped in.

I like PUBG alot but I wouldn't mind a game with a bigger budget and better devs (As in more experienced or just bigger staff overall) to do the work. I'd love a prettier less buggier version of Battle Royale. There's a lot of money there especially with a crate/loot system.

Kaelan

I know H1Z1 and Day Z was announced like two E3s ago or something that they were coming to PS4. Wonder what's happening there.

I just listened to an interview with PlayerUnknown on the Game Informer podcast. He said they are definitely bringing it to consoles, but want to finish the PC version first. It's a really good interview if you are interested in PUBG. Highly recommend.

Sounds like it will be too late, porting the game to consoles after several years?

Should be on consoles right now when the hype and active players are here.

Remember that thread from yesterday talking about why consoles don't do 60fps, well its gonna be the same reason that PUBG / KOTK (and games like Ark run bad) or games like it aren' on console, the CPU just won't do it.

I'm going to think positively and say by time the PS5 / Scorpio 2 launch, AMD will have incorporated Ryzen tech and Vega tech into a really incredible APU and this won't be a concern.

The culling is only 25 people (not saying that like its a bad thing) so it's a little scaled down already in terms of map size and player count, hence it should work as well as any FPS. But if people want 100 people, on a huge island with a huge amount of loot being moved around, not yet, not on Jaguar.

(I basically built a budget gaming PC for PUBG, $450 not including monitor, runs it great, so Im optimistic consoles will run this in 2 years)
Frostbite can do 64 with big maps smoothly, they could pull it of and with superior netcode

Because it's a new genre.

And in that genre, up until the last few months ago with Battlegrounds coming out, there wasn't anything that was any good, there were just a few mediocre sloppy games that played about the concept.

Even then, battlegrounds is far from a polished quality finished game. It's janky, buggy, rough around the edges and still being developed. It looks and feels like a low budget indy game. Don't get me wrong though, it's a blast, by far the best of the bunch, and deserves it's success.

But lets put a stop to the phoney disbelief as to why consoles don't have it. It's brand new and not even finished. It's blatantly obvious why consoles don't have it, hell, PC barely even has it yet, it's early access.

"why is this 1 in a 1000, fun, unique, but difficult to run and demanding early access game that's nowhere near finished only on one platform so far?" Answer - "have patience"

Erban1

It's a real shame Ubisoft won't implement this in Wildlands. The world is a perfect fit for a battle Royale gametype.

Tagyhag

Sounds like it will be too late, porting the game to consoles after several years?

Should be on consoles right now when the hype and active players are here.

It's not going to be a few years if it does come to the Xbox game preview.

I have zero sources but I'd bet good money that PUBG will be shown or at least talked about in this year's E3 Microsoft conference.

It'll be a good get for MS to have it first on consoles.

Top Bottom