• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paladins Open Beta Thread | PC

Figments

Am I the only one seeing the options for controllers in the settings menu? Because I've seen like ten people so far say that this game doesn't support controllers, yet I've been playing with an Xbone controller off and on since the beta launch.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Pip is hilarious to play as.

Just heal everyone and then slow bomb across the map the enemy team as they advance on horse to the objective. Thereby knocking them off so you can primary fire them and then press F to weightless/space-S away.

Helznicht

This game is so much fun.
I think I did well in this match. It's the most I've died though :( in the 3 or 4 matches i've played I only die about 3 times.
ESREjrV.jpg

That was against bots (played against those bots several times). It will get a lot more challenging.

"Casual matches" says it's "against other players", but it seems i'm only getting matches against bots?

Once you hit account level 5, you'll get matched up against other players when you choose the "casual" mode.

It's...a weird decision, especially considering you can play vs bots in practice mode, and still get account EXP.

Zafir

One good thing in comparison to Overwatch - From my initial impression, the supports seem so much more fun to play.

I enjoy supporting but in Overwatch it's just a bit of an annoyance sometimes due to how squishy they all are. Lucio used to be able to tank damage back in the beta, but they nerfed his health(then buffed it back up a bit because they over nerfed). Don't get me wrong, I understand why it is like that in Overwatch, but it's a refreshing change either way.

One good thing in comparison to Overwatch - From my initial impression, the supports seem so much more fun to play.

I enjoy supporting but in Overwatch it's just a bit of an annoyance sometimes due to how squishy they all are. Lucio used to be able to tank damage back in the beta, but they nerfed his health(then buffed it back up a bit because they over nerfed). Don't get me wrong, I understand why it is like that in Overwatch, but it's a refreshing change either way.

Yeah, I think this is something I have read consistently and agree with. Supports are a lot more fun in Paladins compared to OW.

Really loving this game, even bought the founders pack after my first match as things clicked for me immediately. But I gotta say it's pretty tiring seeing all the Overwatch fanboys STILL feeling the need to shit on every other hero shooter since the only way they can enjoy their terrible game is to trash better ones ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Once you hit account level 5, you'll get matched up against other players when you choose the "casual" mode.

It's...a weird decision, especially considering you can play vs bots in practice mode, and still get account EXP.

I would assume it's to help alleviate the issue where newcomers come in to play casual only to get demolished by smurfs.

I would assume it's to help alleviate the issue where newcomers come in to play casual only to get demolished by smurfs.

That is true, but then why have the option of practice against the AI? There's a lot that HiRez could do with the presentation of the game for newcomers. Like, have a little "RECOMMENDED" tag show up above the practice modes, to encourage new players to tackle that first before actually playing against real players. Casual mode says "battle against other players", not "battle against AI until Level 5, then battle other players".

It's not that big of a deal, but many new players seem to be taken aback by the fact that you are locked against AI opponents until you hit level 5 with no explanation given, other than the assumption that the devs want you to practice against bots.

Gravidee

Really loving this game, even bought the founders pack after my first match as things clicked for me immediately. But I gotta say it's pretty tiring seeing all the Overwatch fanboys STILL feeling the need to shit on every other hero shooter since the only way they can enjoy their terrible game is to trash better ones ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And yet posting things like this doesn't do you any favors either. I play Overwatch every week and played Paladins earlier today for a bit. It seems pretty neat so far, but it's obvious that it's still in a rough state that lacks the same level of polish as Overwatch (though I expect it to improve as updates begin rolling out). I don't know why you feel the need to call it terrible just because Paladins is the one getting picked on right now.

And yet posting things like this doesn't do you any favors either. I play Overwatch every week and played Paladins earlier today for a bit. It seems pretty neat so far, but it's obvious that it's still in a rough state that lacks the same level of polish as Overwatch (though I expect it to improve as updates begin rolling out). I don't know why you feel the need to call it terrible just because Paladins is the one getting picked on right now.

People actually giving games a chance before shitting on them would do everyone a favor but you don't see anyone doing that either. And I call it a terrible game because i gave it several chances and it never did anything even remotely interesting or well and yet the games that actually deserve recognition based on merit are swept under the rug in order to make the more popular game seem better than it really is. People SHOULD be able to enjoy whatever they want, but people have this idea that everything in videogames is a competition and that one game has to "lose" for their favorite to "win"

Ploid 3.0

Why is not there a rocket league f2p clone?

Everyone slept on Super Rocket Powered Robot Chicken Eggs last gen. I'm surprised it got so popular this gen. Maybe the simpler name helped. Maybe Overwatch will make a real soccer mode, or a new game by Blizzard.

Real name is "Super Sonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars," It's crazier than I remembered.

Xilo

I normally play support in games, and I have to say the support characters in Paladins are awesome! I felt they were the weakest type of characters in Overwatch, so this is a nice change for me!

Gravidee

People actually giving games a chance before shitting on them would do everyone a favor but you don't see anyone doing that either. And I call it a terrible game because i gave it several chances and it never did anything even remotely interesting or well and yet the games that actually deserve recognition based on merit are swept under the rug in order to make the more popular game seem better than it really is. People SHOULD be able to enjoy whatever they want, but people have this idea that everything in videogames is a competition and that one game has to "lose" for their favorite to "win"

And exactly how many chances did you give it? You didn't just play 5 games with only 3 characters and call it a day did you?

People like the game not because it's revolutionary or anything, but because the mechanics work really well and there is a diverse cast of characters with fun personalities in an established world. The game is friendly to newcomers but it's also possible to be an expert player too.

Now I'd like to ask what do you think Paladins deserves merit for thus far? It seems like a competent team based multiplayer shooter but what do you see in it that Overwatch lacks? I hope you're not just letting the trolls get to you and forming some contrarian viewpoint as a result.

And exactly how many chances did you give it? You didn't just play 5 games with only 3 characters and call it a day did you?

People like the game not because it's revolutionary or anything, but because the mechanics work really well and there is a diverse cast of characters with fun personalities in an established world. The game is friendly to newcomers but it's also possible to be an expert player too.

Now I'd like to ask what do you think Paladins deserves merit for thus far? It seems like a competent team based multiplayer shooter but what do you see in it that Overwatch lacks? I hope you're not just letting the trolls get to you and forming some contrarian viewpoint as a result.

I've tried it a few times a week ever since launch with friends that are really into it and never had a single game that I would consider fun, it's just a badly made game with an enormous following willing to overlook all those issues.

Paladins fixes all the mechanical inconsistencies that Overwatch uses as the foundation for it's gameplay. Like you said, OW is not revolutionary it just does what many games before it did but not as well as they did. Paladins deserves merit because it's mechanically sound with well rounded/balanced gameplay that appeals to casual and competitive players while managing to do what it aims for well. The maps are well thought out, the gunplay feels great, the sound design is spot on and the character designs are awesome and leagues better than OW's generic stereotypes. Basically, every mark that OW missed Paladins hit spot on which is why it's such a great game, and like I said, if people weren't such babies we could live in a world where both games are enjoyed by many but instead we live in the real world where babies complain that they feel threatened by better games that come out and do what their favorite titles do even better than them. Go look at this thread and try and tell me I'm making this stuff up

Had lots of fun with ruckus today. I played him a ton in CB and when I came back he felt completely different. But there is definitely a solid character there to play with, especially when you're blowing through 200 rounds like it's nothing, sitting behind a shield. I do wish they kept his original left click, which was 1 minigun and it was accurate with the alt firing being both miniguns but you can barely move like it is now.

Other than that he is a great character. They probably made it the way it is because they wanted him to fill a tank role and not what he was, which was kind of damage, kind of shieldy, kind of mobile, kind of tank. Now he is like a high damage, low mobile tank.

Gravidee

I've tried it a few times a week ever since launch with friends that are really into it and never had a single game that I would consider fun, it's just a badly made game with an enormous following willing to overlook all those issues.

TBH you could say that for any game that people enjoy, where people can overlook issues in favor of gameplay and aesthetics. But you have yet to describe what "all those issues" are.

Paladins fixes all the mechanical inconsistencies that Overwatch uses as the foundation for it's gameplay. Like you said, OW is not revolutionary it just does what many games before it did but not as well as they did. Paladins deserves merit because it's mechanically sound with well rounded/balanced gameplay that appeals to casual and competitive players while managing to do what it aims for well.

And what are these mechanical inconsistencies that it manages to fix?

The maps are well thought out, the gunplay feels great, the sound design is spot on and the character designs are awesome and leagues better than OW's generic stereotypes.

First three points could apply to Overwatch as well. While it is true that some of the Overwatch personalities use a stereotype as a basis, they're relatively inoffensive and different enough visually that people wouldn't (or shouldn't...) get mad over them. I'm not sure that the designs in Paladins can be considered LEAGUES better than OW's. I do like a few of them, but some look like Skylanders characters (Bomb King and Makoa), or generic in general (neither Viktor nor Buck look very interesting, and Grover is just Groot with an axe). I could get into the whole thing with world and lore but I think I'll save that for another time.

instead we live in the real world where babies complain that they feel threatened by better games that come out and do what their favorite titles do even better than them.

Couldn't one say that that's also what you're doing here?

Go look at this thread and try and tell me I'm making this stuff up

That thread isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. Certainly there are people making drive by posts but there is some level headed discussion too. There are more people talking about Paladins in a meaningful way than outright dissing it. Some people were even declaring Overwatch as the big ripoff as well as Blizzard in general.

The Light

Not possible to upgrade on controllers? Did a practice siege with Grover and noticed I could purchase items but couldn't use coins to get them to the next level.

I had a satisfying game earlier where my team had a bad start; we lost the point and failed to defend. The enemy team had a Fernando that would just constantly taunt while next to the payload. After that round, my team managed to completely turn the game around and come back to win. That Fernando wasn't taunting anymore.

That said, I am starting to feel this game's jankiness. The hitbox on the payload is outrageous. Sometimes it's hard to fight opponents when they are near the payload, because your shots don't land when they seemingly should. I'm also encountering some issues where I get disconnected from the servers or the game will just outright crash. Hopefully in a few months, we'll get some stability fixes and fixes to things like the payload's hitbox.

I also had a weird issue where I was queued up for a game, somebody didn't join, and I got a deserter penalty. Thankfully the penalty only lasted a minute, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

All that said, I'm still enjoying this game. It should get much better in time.

Figments

Game is playable with controller on PC ?

Yup. The only real oversight I found was being unable to open the items menu without having to go in and map a button for it (mapped it to the bottom d-pad button). Which is pretty freaking weird, now that I think about it.

Not possible to upgrade on controllers? Did a practice siege with Grover and noticed I could purchase items but couldn't use coins to get them to the next level.

Huh. I checked that immediately after you said that, 'cause I Could've sworn it said "X to upgrade" at one point. But it doesn't. Weird.

Also, is anyone else getting weird audio glitches whenever there's a lot of noise concentrated in one area? Like, I get no noticeable frame drops, but the audio sounds like complete garbage when there's Fernando's flamethrower, Evie's ice storm, etc, going on all at once in a small space.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oh man, the server just took a huge dump, seems to be fine now though.

Edit: Something weird is happening, the game is loaded, I'm in the match, but the load screen won't go away. Oh odd, I closed it and opened it and it actually put me in the match that was supposed to have loaded. That's actually a cool feature.

Hyun Sai

Tried it, think it is suicide(Probably me,never fancied controllers), but play with whatever makes you have fun.

Well, if there is a console version I'll wait for it ^^. It's not a fun thing, it's that K/M is causing me pain in the hands for a long time, so I'm stuck with pad :(

Gravidee

So far I'm getting the hang of using Kinessa. BTW, about the voice lines. Do they plan on having them fully voiced by the characters eventually? It seems weird to have only a handful of them coming from the character while the rest are from the announcer.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So far I'm getting the hang of using Kinessa. BTW, about the voice lines. Do they plan on having them fully voiced by the characters eventually? It seems weird to have only a handful of them coming from the character while the rest are from the announcer.

I sure hope everything related to the announcer is placeholder, because he's absolutely awful. Even Overwatch's generic robotic female voice is better

mcz117chief

They probably will all get their own voices or it might follow the Smite route and you will have to pay 200 gems to get their voices instead of the generic one.

I sure hope everything related to the announcer is placeholder, because he's absolutely awful. Even Overwatch's generic robotic female voice is better

He's fine. He just says what needs to be said without any needless exaggeration, I don't have any problems with him.

I know they talked about voice overs in the past... I don't recall what they said though.

edit:
I remember a lot of vsay commands did have character VOs before. I haven't messed around with it too much since open beta but it seemed like there was less.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
They probably will all get their own voices or it might follow the Smite route and you will have to pay 200 gems to get their voices instead of the generic one.

He's fine. He just says what needs to be said without any needless exaggeration, I don't have any problems with him.

He's the epitome of dull. Much like the Gametrailer awards dude, he was so monotone and boring
I know they talked about voice overs in the past... I don't recall what they said though.

edit:
I remember a lot of vsay commands did have character VOs before. I haven't messed around with it too much since open beta but it seemed like there was less.

Yeah I guess it's important to remember that the reason it feels unfinished is because it is. It's quite solid though, been enjoying it way more now that I get to play against real people. Communication isn't a thing though, *no one* uses the chat, or voice commands or anything.

He's the epitome of dull. Much like the Gametrailer awards dude, he was so monotone and boring

Yeah I guess it's important to remember that the reason it feels unfinished is because it is. It's quite solid though, been enjoying it way more now that I get to play against real people. Communication isn't a thing though, *no one* uses the chat, or voice commands or anything.

Yeah, lack of in game voice chat is a downer. Especially coming from more than a few games that support it. Been using VOIP apps like discord at least to make up for it, but with randoms that is a bit much to ask.

I've never been really big into vsays, but individual voice overs could help make it more useful I I think.

mcz117chief

Yeah, lack of in game voice chat is a downer. Especially coming from more than a few games that support it. Been using VOIP apps like discord at least to make up for it, but with randoms that is a bit much to ask.

I've never been really big into vsays, but individual voice overs could help make it more useful I I think.

Heh, League of Legends still doesn't have VOIP and I don't know if it ever will. Riot says that VOIP promotes toxic behaviour (which imo is bs) :/

Played my first game since closed beta. I often play tanky in other games and as other have said it is quite fun here.
Played my first game as Makoa and I'm liking him. I'm a bit rubbish with his anchor right now but I feel like he can still be effective without it if I get some nicely timed shields.

Barik is still my guy though however I do miss the old card system where I could make his turrets very strong.

Also, is it just me or is the view really zoomed in? I haven't checked the options to see if there is an fov slider but it seems a lot closer than other games. I am having a little bit of trouble dealing with attacks coming from the side especially with no mini map.

Heh, League of Legends still doesn't have VOIP and I don't know if it ever will. Riot says that VOIP promotes toxic behaviour (which imo is bs) :/

I can imagine it does. But Blizzard is also very anti-toxicity and it manages to be okay in overwatch. They don't let you even chat in hearthstone unless you're friends. I bet there is a lot of work to keep it clean for OW, with GMs for banning people who are too toxic.

Played my first game since closed beta. I often play tanky in other games and as other have said it is quite fun here.
Played my first game as Makoa and I'm liking him. I'm a bit rubbish with his anchor right now but I feel like he can still be effective without it if I get some nicely timed shields.

Barik is still my guy though however I do miss the old card system where I could make his turrets very strong.

Also, is it just me or is the view really zoomed in? I haven't checked the options to see if there is an fov slider but it seems a lot closer than other games. I am having a little bit of trouble dealing with attacks coming from the side especially with no mini map.
adjust fov in options

mcz117chief

I can imagine it does. But Blizzard is also very anti-toxicity and it manages to be okay in overwatch. They don't let you even chat in hearthstone unless you're friends. I bet there is a lot of work to keep it clean for OW, with GMs for banning people who are too toxic.

RIOT is extremely anti-toxic, they routinely tell you, through tool-tips, that flaming leads to losses and such. There are people getting banned left and right in League for being toxic in chat. But in other games that have VOIP I don't remember the last time I heard someone being toxic using it. Reporting and muting can and does work identically to the one for text chat so I really don't see any reason why there isn't VOIP in Smite, Paladins (their only legit excuse is the game's beta status) or League.

Man Makoa is friggin awful.

A lot of these champs just have a bunch of skills thrown together without any thought about synergy or anything.

It's still fun to play though.

Top Bottom