• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen loan clarification: it's an advance on their UK game dev tax rebate

I think most have been negative about the project when they found out some of the crowd funding went to buying mansions and ferraris.

https://www.pixeldynamo.com/news/ga...hris-roberts-fire-employees-escapist-article/

That was a lie and the Escapist retracted that story. They were mislead by Derek Smart an his cronies.

Chris Roberts went and took off the cuffs at that point and laid it out. On the internet in letter form.

Hence why it doesn't exist anymore: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...k-Star-Citizen-and-the-State-of-the-Company.3

Armaros

That was proven to not be true.

These random 'news' websites 'breaking' stories that no one has verified are amusing.

None of the stories are seriously picked up, even by people already researching into the problems with SC's development. (and if they do they get dropped with egg on their face, like above)

Krisprolls

Banned
Might I point out the necessity of positive evidence to prove a claim on the side of a claimant.

Well, here we have that claim :

“Multiple sources from within the company stated that the Pacific Palisades mansion that Chris Roberts shares with Sandi Gardiner is being paid for with funds from the company, along with the couple’s personal vehicles and personal vacations,” Escapist’s Lizzy Finnegan wrote.

https://www.pixeldynamo.com/news/gaming/2015/10/02/82184/chris-roberts-fire-employees-escapist-article/

Where is the claim debunking that ?

“Multiple sources from within the company stated that the Pacific Palisades mansion that Chris Roberts shares with Sandi Gardiner is being paid for with funds from the company, along with the couple’s personal vehicles and personal vacations,” Escapist’s Lizzy Finnegan wrote.

https://www.pixeldynamo.com/news/gaming/2015/10/02/82184/chris-roberts-fire-employees-escapist-article/

Are you new here?

Armaros

”Multiple sources from within the company stated that the Pacific Palisades mansion that Chris Roberts shares with Sandi Gardiner is being paid for with funds from the company, along with the couple's personal vehicles and personal vacations," Escapist's Lizzy Finnegan wrote.

I guess that's why the Escapist article with that quote is now gone? Because its true? Is that how it works?

Next time, click on the actual article with the details instead of the 'lets reword and say the news again' websites that just regurgitate what everyone else is reporting. You notice the source doesn't exist anymore.

The story is gone now. So that should explain it. Also they provided no evidence from which those sourced claimed existed. Unless you want to say that it was a cover up.

Waikis

Try clicking the "escapist feature" link?

inky

”Multiple sources from within the company stated that the Pacific Palisades mansion that Chris Roberts shares with Sandi Gardiner is being paid for with funds from the company, along with the couple's personal vehicles and personal vacations," Escapist's Lizzy Finnegan wrote.

The claim is quoting a source that no longer exists. Are you really this dumb?

"Anonymous GAF poster says: Krispollis consistently engaged in unlawful sex with animals" Source: 404.

You can't prove it isn't true.

Really? Sorry, I must have missed that, wasn't it from employees? That's what they had claimed?

Dude how do you factually know for sure that it was from employee's? most of that stuff was form freaking glass-doors. In which case almost anyone with a vendetta. Can write anything they want. Especially jilted employee's.

bitbydeath

The story is gone now. So that should explain it. Also they provided no evidence from which those sourced claimed existed. Unless you want to say that it was a cover up.

I guess the only proof would be if he does own a mansion there, otherwise if that information is incorrect then it definitely would not be true.

Armaros

The fact that the story is gone doesn't mean it was false at all.

The claim is quoting a source that no longer exists. Are you really this dumb?

"Anonymous GAF poster says: Krispollis consistently engaged in unlawful sex with animals" Source: 404.

You can't prove it isn't true.

You want to go down this mental gymnastics road? What you just said could apply to literally any claim then.

Primus

"The fact that all the evidence I'm basing my claims upon doesn't exist has no bearing on the truthfulness of my claims."

1ri4en.jpg

danthefan

I heard Chris Roberts bought a gold house and a rocket car and his health with the Star Citizen money.

I will not believe otherwise until one of you proves it false!

Krisprolls

Banned
"The fact that all the evidence I'm basing my claims upon doesn't exist has no bearing on the truthfulness of my claims."

I mean it can be brought down for multiple reasons. Website changes, ot simply not wanting to pay for a lawsuit (even when you're right). It's no proof either way.

Even without that, there were multiple articles about the troublesome development of Star Citizen, it's not like it was only the Escapist :

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/23/inside-the-troubled-development-of-star-citizen

Or was it debunked too (again : link ? ) ?

Armaros

I heard Chris Roberts bought a gold house and a rocket car and his health with the Star Citizen money.

I will not believe otherwise until one of you proves it false!

Nope, Chris has a fully functional automated Moon Base, he doesn't think as small as a gold house.

I mean it can be brought down for multiple reasons. Website changes, ot simply not wanting to pay for a lawsuit (even when you're right). It's no proof either way.

Even without that, there were multiple articles about the troublesome development of Star Citizen, it's not like it was only the Escapist :

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/23/inside-the-troubled-development-of-star-citizen

Moving your goalposts now?

You tried to defend the claim that Chris bought houses and sports cars with SC money, so now you are moving over to just the development issues? Which no one really argues dont exist.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

1ri4en.jpg
It's straight up ridiculous when you stop and think about it. If it's not conspiracy theories from unverified sources/Derek Smart that are somehow true no matter what, it's constantly perpetuating the notion that the game doesn't exist in anyway shape or form, despite the orgy of evidence to the contrary.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Looking forward to the overreacting users from the previous threads to read this :)

Looking forward to when, next month, their lack of transparency urges the community to react negatively to some weird shit they're doing and end up having to clarify for the millionth time.

danthefan

Oh deary me.

Throwing in development hell with misappropriating funds. These things have nothing to do with each other.

Primus

Hey. Stop moving the goalposts. Where's your evidence on Chris Roberts embezzling backer funds? 'cause that's what we're talking about here.

inky

Your initial claim was that it was a scam, then you doubled up with a now debunked article claiming money spent on things that were not true.

The Kotaku article doesn't really support any of that, just that it has had troubled development, which many games do. So you provide your link first.

Armaros

Looking forward to when, next month, their lack of transparency urges the community to react negatively to some weird shit they're doing and end up having to clarify for the millionth time.

So do you know about Activision, EA and the other big development and publisher houses having European and UK branches to take advantage of tax cuts and other subsidies?

Or are you naive enough to think none of the big gaming companies would take advantage of them?

What about indie devs doing the same? Do you think they dont exist?

Dr.Acula

Banned
I'm glad I didn't read all the stuff this morning as it was breaking, because it turned out to be nothing. I guess I can close that tab now, lol.

People need to stop with the conspiracy theories. Games are scams when they don't have as much money as they claim, or when they can't show any gameplay.

We have so much SC gameplay, they have demos out, there are vids from conventions, people have played it. And when people say that they have money problems, it's not over doubts of the amount of money they have, it's people speculating on them having spent too much of their money.

If someone wants to write a conspiracy theory that they've only generated a fraction of the money they've claimed like some video-game Fyre Festival, then I'd probably think this game was doomed, but everyone seems to say they have a hundred million+. Man, that's HARD to burn through. They're fine.

MUnited83

For you.

Anonymous sources have told me Shenmue 3 money is all going to hookers and beer. Please make your own investigation team to prove me wrong, have fun.

Not a single section in that Kotaku article says its a scam or that they used the money for "ferraris". Are you now moving goalposts?

Looking forward to when, next month, their lack of transparency urges the community to react negatively to some weird shit they're doing and end up having to clarify.

You can't be serious? the freaking thing was released par the UK law. People that have a vendetta about SC, jump out on it and blow it out of proportion.

CIG always clarifies. By the way, since the internet community is very knee jerk.

Krisprolls

Banned
Nope, Chris has a fully functional automated Moon Base, he doesn't think as small as a gold house.

Moving your goalposts now?

You tried to defend the claim that Chris bought houses and sports cars with SC money, so now you are moving over to just the development issues? Which no one really argues dont exist.

No, I didn't try to defend anything, I asked for a link debunking this story, someone gave one a few posts above (so we have both sides of the story) nothing more.

The second article is not only about development issues. It shows bad management on a global level. Which is not the same as stealing money for buying mansions, on that we certainly agree.

Armaros

You can't be serious? the freaking thing was released par the UK law. People that have a vendetta about SC, jump out on it and blow it out of proportion.

CIG always clarifies. By the way, since the internet community is very knee jerk.

Also acting like loans, subsidizes, tax breaks and etc are normal parts of financial disclosure for the gaming industry that we see.

Or they pretend that gaming companies don't do any of that and its just Cloud Inc doing it.

Yeah Activision or EA not taking a tax break if they could. *Cackles*

I just that posted you ****. Also one thing doesn't have anything to do with the other and Justin actually talked to CIG, to get those interviews.

The Escapist never truly contacted CIG. Even when CIG contacted the Escapist, they just put up the story anyway.

The second article is not only about development issues. It shows bad management on a global level.

Why are you doubling down on the ignorance. I don't get it man.

In the first article they talk about fixing it and reorganizing. Which they have.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Applying for an advance on a tax rebate is totally a sign of financial stability.

Apparently it's to take advantage of exchange rates since they take money in in Euros and Dollars, but pay taxes in GBP. Given Brexit is fast approaching and no one knows what will happen with the GBP, this seems pretty logical.

Ya'll just gonna keep hating on Christ Roberts.

When the Day of Reckoning comes and He calls us Home, you will be left wanting, empty, and alone in the wasteland of your own designs.

Seriously though, if Star Citizenism is a religion, so is the opposition.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

You're right, there's definitely a conspiracy. It's not that they've brought the distrust of many upon themselves through multiple confusing debacles; it's the internet who is actively going out of its way to go after them and bring them down.

Top Bottom