• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate loot.

I'm slowly coming to the realization that I hate loot systems and all the junk that comes with them. I'm borrowing my brother's copy of Fallout 4 and there's an enormous amount of garbage to deal with, and I'm finding I've lost my tolerance for such systems.

It doesn't help that I'm playing Horizon at the same time, and while it's not as egregious as Fallout, it still contains an absolutely disgusting amount of worthless shit.

I just want pick ups and upgrades to be meaningful.... Less quantity and more quality. You guys know Conan the Barbarian (the Arnold version)? He falls in a pit and finds a fucking RAD sword. It's a badass moment and I feel a solid RPG could handle loot in similar ways. Why would he pick up every piss poor weapon he finds off of every bandit he kills? He wouldn't, because he earned his weapon through adventure; not to mention carrying that insane magnitude of garbage makes zero sense whatsoever.

This even crops up where you least expect it, such as Wolfenstein The New Order. After every battle (and even during them at times) you get to walk around with your view aimed at the floor looking for item pick ups. It completely disrupts the flow of an otherwise stellar game.

I feel the Souls series comes very close to my ideal, especially Bloodborne. With few exceptions the weapons feel distinctive and impactful. Though it's definitely flawed as well; mostly in terms of the upgrade system discouraging experimentation.

I understand a lot of people love loot for its addictive gambling-like nature, but I feel it turns weapons and items into a brown standardized mush. Everyone eventually lands on the same few "epic" or end game items anyway.

Anyone else feeling the same fatigue?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I love loot. I love finding loot, organizing loot, salvaging loot to make new loot. Loot is amazing.

Trickster

I hate loot that isn't interesting. A lot of games seem to have loot that just have super boring stats.

The last game where the loot was really exciting for me was probably Diablo 2. That game really nailed making loot feel significant

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I get where you're coming from but I think that it'd be weird if I was exploring an open-world game or just defeated a bunch of guys in an action game and then couldn't pick up their weapons or equipment. It'd be a massive immersion breaker that I physically couldn't pick up their guns and whatnot.

All of the copper scraps and wire and shit can go to hell though, yeah.

FHIZ

I hate it in games that don't need it. I'm sick of games thinking they have to be everything and appeal to everyone.

I'm curious to see how it pans out in Shadow of War and AC: Origins. I feel like there is equal chance of both benefiting or feeling tedious from a loot system.

bilas

Banned
3fD44Gv.png

Radnom

I just want pick ups and upgrades to be meaningful.... Less quantity and more quality. You guys know Conan the Barbarian (the Arnold version)? He falls in a pit and finds a fucking RAD sword. It's a badass moment and I feel a solid RPG could handle loot in similar ways. Why would he pick up every piss poor weapon he finds off of every bandit he kills? He wouldn't, because he earned his weapon through adventure; not to mention carrying that insane magnitude of garbage makes zero sense whatsoever.
I'm with you! It just makes no sense and I can't comprehend how my character is carrying so much crap around. I would rather have a very very limited inventory and have to make tough decisions about what to take with me, than to have infinite or near infinite inventory and take everything.

gelf

I hate it in most cases. If I feel like I'm spending half the time picking up and sorting through loot I'll probably drop the game. Less but more meaningful loot is my preference. The Souls series has a nice balance I think, you get the occasional drop rather then having to search every damn corpse.

You mention Conan the barbarian, but you're not PLAYING like him. You can easily play Fallout like him. Simply don't pick through the garbage loot that you know is garbage.

Bedlam

Loot is godlike when done right.

Last time I hated loot was in Shadow Warrior 2, where you get bombarded with shit-tier loot and it's a chore to sift through it all after each mission.

Shit-tier loot is necessary though in my opinion.

Look forward to Smash 5 having loot boxes to unlock costumes beyond the 4 default colors they'll give you. That's also how you'll unlock trophies, taunts, victory poses, etc.

jdstorm

Banned
I partly agree with you.

I largely dislike loot that serves no purpose or is combined with 4 or 5 other RPG systems that each have their own grind.

Good Loot
Used as by your enemies damage/defense modifiers (IE Harder encounters get you better gear) recent examples (Zelda BotW, Borderlands)

Bad Loot
Typical RNG Crap where you just blast the same enemies on repeat until you luck into the piece of loot you want.

Good loot
Frequently drops and is easy sell. Used as a reward for most activities

Bad Loot
Tied into 3+ other RPG systems. IE Now that you have your perfectly rolled weapon, you have to level it up and unlock its full potential with grinding for secondary and tertiary currencies.

Bad Loot
Hidden behind timers.

Wulfram

I don't hate loot, but I hate the near ubiquitous loot system of current games. The constant churn and the bland, flavourless items suck.

But loot in Baldur's Gate was good, because you found really good items that would last a good while and could have individual flavour. Loot in Dark Souls or Mass Effect 3 is good, because they offer new, distinct options rather than just incremental upgrades.

I really don't like this comic. Too often its just a lazy way of dismissing opinions you don't like.

I'm curious to see how it pans out in Shadow of War and AC: Origins. I feel like there is equal chance of both benefiting or feeling tedious from a loot system.

Monolith handled loot extremely well in LOTR: War in the North so I'm cautiously optimistic. Shadow of War is a very different kind of game but at least they have experience. Not sure about AC:Origins. Ubisoft has the habit of producing games that feel like they were the result of a checklist that came back from a focus group and more often than not, they're half baked for a game or two until it eventually gets refined and then it becomes not great but serviceable.

I really hope they turn out alright because I'm looking forward to both.

Skinpop

I like it when it isn't very random and the items themselves aren't that important. For example in dark souls mobs will drop things that they physically carry. Loot turns into cancer when you have different qualities and super rare stuff, it just turns into an empty lottery.

shmoglish

I love loot. Give me thousand swords that look the same with names in different colors some added abilities.

But it is cool when you have to beat a strong enemy first or find a secret dungeon, sure.

Same here, kinda. I just hate having to stop every few minutes to pick up items, open menu and decide which gear to discard/keep. And repeat that for 50+ hours. Most games are not like this, but games like borderlands and diablo is, and I can't play those games for more than a few hours before uninstalling.

edit- instead of giving me garbage equipment, give me materials and ingredients that I can use to upgrade or create actual useful equipment with.

Fortunately for you, there are games that don't have loots.

Also, if you hate loot why do you play RPGs in the first place?

*Splinter

Started playing Alienation last night and I'm loving the loot/upgrade system.

Someone mentioned The Witcher 3 and I have to agree it's probably the worst loot system I've ever seen.

I love loot. I love finding loot, organizing loot, salvaging loot to make new loot. Loot is amazing.
YES! But a bad UI can ruin all of it for me. Dragon Age Inquisition's looting menu, inventory menu, and equipment menus, were all so bad on PC that I just got frustrated with the entire game. Loot can be great, but only when the UI supports it.

OP I completely understand what you mean about over abundance of loot though, and picking up worthless loot. I feel The Witcher 3 suffered from this immensely, since even orange quality (the highest grade of rarity) was 9 times out of 10 worse than the Witcher gear you already had equipped. So in that game you mostly just collected loot to sell, which is not exciting, and I prefer the standard Assassin's Creed system there were you're just instantly given currency when you loot sellable items from chests and enemies. Removes a tedious step from the system. Equipment loot really should feel important, which is something the Diablo games tend to do quite well when rare quality items drop.

The best loot systems are those where I never become burdened or annoyed by it as the game goes on and it seamlessly integrates in to the flow of the game.

Borderlands/Diablo nail this. Witcher 3 and HZD, not so much. Fallout/Skyrim is sort of in the middle for me and encumbrance is the major irritant in those series.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm playing Rampage Knights, a beat'em up rogue-whatever, it has no inventory, in a run you don't find too much loot and if you find a weapon or armor you have to choose between the one you have and the one you found, but 99% of the times the new equipment is better, so finding loot is always a good thing.

I think it's a simple and good way to handle loot, in an arcade-ish game at least.

velociraptor

The best loot systems are those where I never become burdened or annoyed by it as the game goes on and it seamlessly integrates in to the flow of the game.

Borderlands/Diablo nail this. Witcher 3 and HZD, not so much. Fallout/Skyrim is sort of in the middle for me and encumbrance is the major irritant in those series.

The guns in Borderlands are garbage.

The only game which nails this is actually Darksiders II.

Not once I felt burdened by the loot, and you get some sweet pickups.

Generally loot sucks because the items are of very, very low quality.

While some games do loot rather well, I hate also dislike when I have a bag FULL of different stuff and having to use 10-20 minutes discard useless stuff, selling high value stuff, and keeping the good stuff. Honestly puts a halt of gameplay when done poorly.

Glass Rebel

Loot systems seem to be more often than not tacked on to check a box and are little more than a means to artificially stretch playtime. I'm not gonna dismiss the mechanic altogether but fuck, I wish some developers would improve or just scrap them.

Rellik

Loot is the best. Give me Loot Simulator 2017.

My Xbox 360 would almost crash on Skyrim because I had so much crap stored in my chest in the college. I'd open the chest and it would freeze for a solid minute as it loaded up.

JoeNut

unless i'm doing something wrong im pretty certain that so far 90% of the loot i've found in HZD is used for something, and the 10% is to be traded for cash.

So i'm not sure i understand this. but in general, why don't you just not pick stuff up?

Ravelle

Loot is fantastic.

A weight limit or amount limit sucks.

Just let me hoard things, don't make me go in to my inventory screen every time to pluck things out of it that are too heavy or too much.

I had to download a mod for Skyrim because those dragonbones heavy as hell.

really? I think Diablo 3 was straight up abusive. It's treadmill design, there is really nothing more to it. Empty and stupid, but addictive.
Well, I love the treadmill of Diablo and the loot system in that game is such that I can quickly and easily look and compare it, equip it and sell or break it down incredibly quickly. If you don't like it, you don't like it, but that's the appeal to me. It never gets in the way.

Top Bottom