• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

Bukana

There should be a Mac Thread/FAQ.
I followed the guide on the site here and I am trying to run a ISO file of (FXII,KH) and here's what it says:
Please help, Thank you.
=====
UPDATE:
I fixed everything and the games run smoothly but:
-No sound.
-Can't play with PS3 controller, even with the plugin provided by the guide.
-No full screen.

John1744

I can't seem to remember but does FF 12 only allow Dpad selection in menus? Analog sticks work great when rotating camera/moving but when I get to menus I am forced to use the dpad. I'm using a 360 wired controller.

Negaiido

Are there any special settings for Kingdom Hearts II (final mix) that I need to know of? I'm kinda new to PCSX 2 atm and looked on the web and the OP but I can't really find good legit settings.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I got a hand-me-down setup a couple of days ago and started up Wild Arms 5. The game is absolutely gorgeous at higher resolutions! I'm also able to play at good speeds...

Specifications:
Intel i3 @ 2.9GHz
NV 8800GT
6GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 7 x64

It runs perfectly in dungeons and some slowdown on the world map. The framerate in battles is also very good.

Garcia

Since I'm only re-playing PS2 RPGs, I tend to abuse the Turbo mode of PCSX2. Dragon Quest VIII looks obscenely beautiful on higher resolutions (4x) native, but I'm playing it on 2x so I can get a 250%+ increase during battles. If I upscale to 4x it is barely playeable on my old GPU. I'm getting an ATI 5870 or a GTX 480 soon which I hope will give me a solid 160+ fps while Turbo-ing the battles on 4x native res.

Fantastic emulator really.

i7 2600k @3.4
8GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GT 430
Win 7 Ultimate x64

sikkinixx

Now that I am upgraded PC wise... how long does it take to get all this working relatively smoothly? It would be nice to play some of my PS2 games on the PC since I sold my OG 60GB phat but if it's a constant battle... I haven't done emulator stuff since the PSone era. BIOS stuff always spooked me out I remember.

Anybody know any good settings for SSX Tricky? There's a weird bug sometimes where if too many racers get too close together they all vanish and the collision detection gets all funky.

Ledsen

Now that I am upgraded PC wise... how long does it take to get all this working relatively smoothly? It would be nice to play some of my PS2 games on the PC since I sold my OG 60GB phat but if it's a constant battle... I haven't done emulator stuff since the PSone era. BIOS stuff always spooked me out I remember.

Really? The legal way is to rip your own bios, but I don't think anyone has ever done that.. After you have that, it's just a file to put in a directory and you're done.

Yaska

The BIOS stuff is only thing that takes longer as you have to meddle with PS2 a while. After that it's around 3-5 mins to set it up. If you have relatively strong pc, you only need to set gdsx and pad options and you're set.

MrPliskin

Banned
My laptop has an AMD A8 series processor in it, do you guys think that would be sufficient to run PSX2? I'm not looking to run ultra HD, just play the games on the go.

StuKen

My laptop has an AMD A8 series processor in it, do you guys think that would be sufficient to run PSX2? I'm not looking to run ultra HD, just play the games on the go.

Should be fine for a large chunk of games. Just don't expect to run gt4, mgs3 or any of the very demanding ones.

Suairyu

Banned
Yea, I'm really only interested in Running my fatal frame titles and *maybe* FFXII.
FFXII is super efficient when being run. Assuming your clock speed is ~3Ghzish, you'll be fine. I seem to remember the developers focussing on getting that game running really well in PCSX2 ages ago due to how well requested it was.

Most you'll likely notice is ever so slight musical distortion once in a blue moon as the game slows down by like 1%.

MrPliskin

Banned
FFXII is super efficient when being run. Assuming your clock speed is ~3Ghzish, you'll be fine. I seem to remember the developers focussing on getting that game running really well in PCSX2 ages ago due to how well requested it was.

Most you'll likely notice is ever so slight musical distortion once in a blue moon as the game slows down by like 1%.

That's what worries me. My CPU is the A8 3510MX, which is a quad core, but only runs at a clock speed of 1.8Ghz. I guess I'd better just download it and dive in :p

ChryZ

Chulip

- PCSX2 0.9.9 R5016, i5-760@3520MHz, GTX460@715MHz, 1920x1200
- Preset 3 Balanced as basis, unchecked preset and added MTVU
- GSdx 5016 SSE41: D3D11, Bob tff, 5x, Texture filtering, Allow 8-bit textures, rest default
- SPU2-X all default
- FXAA enabled

Runs flawless.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That's what worries me. My CPU is the A8 3510MX, which is a quad core, but only runs at a clock speed of 1.8Ghz. I guess I'd better just download it and dive in :p

Laptops/mobile CPUs are not good for PCSX2/Dolphin. These emulators rely more heavily on clock speed and instruction sets than anything, and a 1.8GHz CPU just isn't going to cut it for the vast majority of games without relying on hacks that could break things. If you have turbo on that CPU it might help since I don't think PCSX2 uses more than a couple cores (although that may have changed recently?).

Some games will probably work, experiment some, but don't expect too much and don't be surprised when you can't run stuff at full speed.

MrPliskin

Banned
Laptops/mobile CPUs are not good for PCSX2/Dolphin. These emulators rely more heavily on clock speed and instruction sets than anything, and a 1.8GHz CPU just isn't going to cut it for the vast majority of games without relying on hacks that could break things. If you have turbo on that CPU it might help since I don't think PCSX2 uses more than a couple cores (although that may have changed recently?).

Some games will probably work, experiment some, but don't expect too much and don't be surprised when you can't run stuff at full speed.

Yea, kind of expected that. It's a does have OC (turbo) to 2.5Ghz I believe.

Edit: And of course, as I update some DX libraries, MS forces their god damned "Bing Bar" on me. Fuck you, MS. Jesus H. Christ I hate stealth installing shit on my PC.

sikkinixx

Got it all up and running last night. A few hiccups but all good now. Persona looks great, only the shadows flicker a bit, I'll have to mess around with it some more.

RedSwirl

Crap. I didn't think I'd need to do this, but I just decided to boot FFXII up again today and god damn is there some aliasing up in this bitch. I just have a few questions:

1) The OP says that PCSX2 is CPU intensive but I didn't see anything about it supporting four cores (only two). My CPU is only 2.4GHz but it's a quad core. My GPU is an HD6850 (1GB) and I have 3GB of RAM. My monitor is 1440 x 900

2) How hard is it to get 2X AA in there?

3) Is it worth the effort then FFXII is probably the only game I'll need to use on this?

Edit: Just remembered why I'm so shocked. The last time I played this game was on a BC PS3 which made the game look presentable enough on an HDTV.

Rufus

Just try it out... At that resolution, your 6850 should have no problem doing 2xAA or even more. I'd be more worried about your CPU (3GHz and up seems to be a common requirement).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Crap. I didn't think I'd need to do this, but I just decided to boot FFXII up again today and god damn is there some aliasing up in this bitch. I just have a few questions:

1) The OP says that PCSX2 is CPU intensive but I didn't see anything about it supporting four cores (only two). My CPU is only 2.4GHz but it's a quad core. My GPU is an HD6850 (1GB) and I have 3GB of RAM. My monitor is 1440 x 900

2) How hard is it to get 2X AA in there?

3) Is it worth the effort then FFXII is probably the only game I'll need to use on this?

Edit: Just remembered why I'm so shocked. The last time I played this game was on a BC PS3 which made the game look presentable enough on an HDTV.

Set your internal resolution to like 4x the native resolution of FFXII (2048x1792). That will give you plenty of AA and should run just fine on a 6850.

ACE 1991

Anyone have a good config for Viewtiful Joe 2? I can't get the game to run at a decent speed to save my life. I have a i5 2500K at 4.0gb, 8gb of ram, and a a 1gb 6950, so my machine is certainly capable.

BlackBeetleKing

Neo Member
FFX
iEW4Gesgo6NO7.png

i5kwwwRBQ5Tt8.png

ieReEJYc9QnsW.png

ibf0ziTiOCw2eF.png

iQBqyitxcMo2F.png

iJRFBv0quqGKb.png

i3rKqgzfvyvqP.png

iIthBZDObWSw0.png

ibtkpYkNnHCjOH.png

i2HoYoJmr8Ric.png

Ledsen

So Dragon Quest 8 runs perfectly on my 2500k, but I get garbage graphics on the edges of text. It looks like the letter graphics tiles are slightly misaligned so you can see some "seams" between the letters. It's not a game-breaker but it really bugs me, is there a way to fix it? Running 0.9.8.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
So Dragon Quest 8 runs perfectly on my 2500k, but I get garbage graphics on the edges of text. It looks like the letter graphics tiles are slightly misaligned so you can see some "seams" between the letters. It's not a game-breaker but it really bugs me, is there a way to fix it? Running 0.9.8.

From what I've read it has to do with using higher than native resolutions for these games that have precise tile placements. The only way to play without this artifact is to use the native resolution of the game or using 1200x1200 resolution works for some games.

Ledsen

From what I've read it has to do with using higher than native resolutions for these games that have precise tile placements. The only way to play without this artifact is to use the native resolution of the game or using 1200x1200 resolution works for some games.

Just tried it, you're absolutely right. No artifacts with native res, but that ain't gonna happen so I'll learn to live with it I guess.

I'm seeing this thread, and I see that you have to have the file on your system. What I'm wondering, is if anyone knows of a PS2 emulator that runs off of the disk?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm seeing this thread, and I see that you have to have the file on your system. What I'm wondering, is if anyone knows of a PS2 emulator that runs off of the disk?

Why do you want to use the disc? You can rip the games using pretty much any DVD ripping software. Not like GCN games that require special drives or modding a console.

tm24

Question, would playing Tales of Abyss through PCSX2 fix the load times or should i stay with my 3DS preorder?

Luigiv

Great, Black Beetle King found another thread to ruin with his wrong aspect ratio screenshots :lol

What's wrong with 16:10 screenshots? As long as the FoV has been correctly adjusted and the image is not stretched/squashed (which looks to be the case here), I don't see a problem with it.

Edit: actually, playing around with the aspect ratio it might actually be squashed.

jediyoshi

What's wrong with 16:10 screenshots? As long as the FoV has been correctly adjusted and the image is not stretched/squashed (which is the case here), I don't see a problem with it.
It isn't the case here, they literally are stretched, PCSX2 has no such functionality.

Kuran

Banned
Can we have a new rule where people have to quote their large image posts? Much easier to browse, and those FF-X shots look MUCH nicer in smaller size.

ChryZ

Technic Beat

I've posted screenshots in the previous thread, but here are my settings and new screens captured with FXAA.

- PCSX2 0.9.9 R5016, i5-760@3520MHz, GTX460@715MHz, 1920x1200
- Preset 3 Balanced as basis, unchecked preset and added MTVU
- GSdx 5016 SSE41: D3D11, Bob tff, 5x, Texture filtering, Allow 8-bit textures, rest default
- SPU2-X all default
- FXAA enabled

Suairyu

Banned
I'm always surprised by the city ontop of Sin's head. I always forget about. You just can't perceive it on the PS2 at all.

Actually, X and X-2 are perfect examples of games very much designed for their target resolution (480i, I presume). Play them on a PS2 on a good CRT and the games still look really, really nice. The moment you give the image more resolution to play with it all goes to hell and looks horrible. FFXHD better do some touch-ups here and there, because it's needed.

Ideal-world emulation scenario would be rendering in whatever godly resolution you want, downsampling the image to 480i then outputting that to a good CRT. Would bring desired greater clarity to the image without the downsides of exposing the primitive nature of everything. Would be a bit of a fiddly setup but easy enough to do.

You really have to applaud the artists who worked on XII. They greatly reduced the polygon budget for the characters (whilst still, to my eye at least, not downgrading their overall look) and gave the extra budget to the environments. The result is a much more HD-friendly game due to an all-over consistency in modelling and texture quality.

Top Bottom