• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Yea, curious if I'll have to scramble for a code for the beta. And WOW at the PS3 release date and 6 days early Collectors edition.

This stuff was being spoken about off the record at E3, so there may be some comments from Tanaka on the thinking behind it from certain publications. I have no such comments though, sorry. Will be chatting to him again at GamesCom in August, though.

As for Beta keys, lots of websites will have a small handful of keys each to give away. I'll definitely have some in the next few weeks, as will others.

Einbroch

Banned
This is the opposite of what usually happens. Usually the console version gets released with the PC version delayed (Darksiders, I looking at you).

Whatever, I built my PC for this game so yay!

Confirms I'm going to be on PC...and crap, was hoping this would come out in November, going to have to upgrade sooner than I thought. :lol

falastini

Huh.. are they really 2+ months away from releasing the game? It hasn't even entered proper beta yet. The release date is a nice surprise, but I'm a little skeptical they're going to have the bugs ironed out and enough content to satisfy players from what they've shown so far. I hope I'm wrong.

sucks for ps3 players though

Sin

Possible Limited Edition cover?

15693250x.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My hope is that the PS3 version will launch with some expansion pack (like the PS2 version did with FFXI) or a title update. That way I won't feel like a moron waiting until March.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Pai Pai Master said:
I don't see September happening. They'll probably start beta, realize how fucked they are, and delay to December or later.

One thing that concerns me about the game is that simple things mentioned in the recent Euro news indicate S-E has learned next to nothing since FFXI. Alts cost money still? Cost for additional retainers? I hope that doesn't translate to idiosyncratic gameplay.

Khrno

thetrin said:
My hope is that the PS3 version will launch with some expansion pack (like the PS2 version did with FFXI) or a title update. That way I won't feel like a moron waiting until March.

I really doubt that there will be an expansion within 6 months from launch. You will still receive most updates from those 6 months in your disc tho.

One thing that concerns me about the game is that simple things mentioned in the recent Euro news indicate S-E has learned next to nothing since FFXI. Alts cost money still? Cost for additional retainers? I hope that doesn't translate to idiosyncratic gameplay.

I don't see any reason why SE can't charge for extra characters, gameplay wise there's no reason whatsoever to use another character since you pretty much can be any job with a single one.

And if people are so concerned about trying the different races, then they can play them all during the beta (which by the way, will be given out with pre-orders for those unlucky that haven't received the SE email yet).

And about retainers, it's just 70p extra. As far as the maximm amount of items per retainer is somewhat the same of what you can have on FFXI on a single MH, then it's all good, and getting just 1 will be enough for those concerned about space, although I can see myself getting 2 or 3.

thetrin said:
Sounds like they learned people are willing to pay for that shit so they're doing it again, which is total balls. Oh and if they need an expansion already by March I would be pretty disappointed. Waiting for the PS3 version for something like that seems pretty pointless unless your PC scored horribly on the benchmark.

notworksafe

What if I have friends on different servers? I have to pay $3 per month more just to play with them? Or almost $4 if I wanted a retainer. Do any other paid MMOs do this (besides FFXI of course)?

That's just stupid.

Khrno said:
I don't see any reason why SE can't charge for extra characters, gameplay wise there's no reason whatsoever to use another character since you pretty much can be any job with a single one.

People will be more inclined to have multiple characters because of stats. Because you're going to be choosing your stats as you level and tailoring them for specific classes, you're going to be limited when you want to switch to a mage job and you've been building stats for melee combat the whole time. It's not going to be like FFXI where job change = stats change.

Khrno

Pai Pai Master said:
People will be more inclined to have multiple characters because of stats. Because you're going to be choosing your stats as you level and tailoring them for specific classes, you're going to be limited when you want to switch to a mage job and you've been building stats for melee combat the whole time. It's not going to be like FFXI where job change = stats change.

You will be able to change your stats, at some cost (not real money), but if you can't be bothered paying such a price, how could you bother leveling a character or more to have cookie cutter builds on each character?

notworksafe

So I should pay to respec my character everytime I change class from Physical to Magic? That would add up pretty quick, I'd imagine. Why can't Square just let me have an alt character in a game I'm paying for monthly like every other MMO?

Einbroch

Banned
notworksafe said:
So I should pay to respec my character everytime I change class from Physical to Magic? That would add up pretty quick, I'd imagine. Why can't Square just let me have an alt character in a game I'm paying for monthly like every other MMO?
While I agree that yes it is pretty lame, if you look at it from a WoW perspective it's very similar. How many people have two level 80s in full-on raid gear? Very, very few. I have two 80s, but one is really ignored and the other is my main. If I could play as a Shaman on my Priest I would and I would delete that other character.

Einbroch

Banned
Baloonatic said:
I know I'm late to this but does the benchmark crash for anyone else? Just gives me a black screen and then an error message.
Update your DirectX, it's seeming to cause a lot of problems for people.

Khrno

notworksafe said:

We don't even know how stats re-allocation will be handled yet, but yea dude, assume whatever you want. You will have to mortgage your house, or your parents' house to be able to ride a Chocobo.

notworksafe

Einbroch said:
While I agree that yes it is pretty lame, if you look at it from a WoW perspective it's very similar. How many people have two level 80s in full-on raid gear? Very, very few. I have two 80s, but one is really ignored and the other is my main. If I could play as a Shaman on my Priest I would and I would delete that other character.
Perhaps so, but I know a lot of people who have leveled multiple characters. It could be tough to level a melee class while your stats are heavily tuned to magic. Kinda like leveling a Warrior in spellpower gear. You're playing the class, but it's a gimped version of it.

Khrno said:
We don't even know how stats re-allocation will be handled yet, but yea dude, assume whatever you want. You will have to mortgage your house, or your parents' house to be able to ride a Chocobo.
Then why do you assume it'll be cheap? I'm just saying that it makes no sense to charge for alts when plenty of MMOs have managed to allow it for free without shutting down.

Unneeded Microtransaction Defense Force go!

Einbroch

Banned
notworksafe said:
Hey, I think it's dumb too, but it's not like they're saying that if you want to be the best you have to pay extra.

Of course they're doing it for the money, and it's greedy, but is it worse than say...a twenty five dollar horse?

Yes, there are two links in there for two different games.

Khrno

notworksafe said:
Then why do you assume it'll be cheap? I'm just saying that it makes no sense to charge for alts when plenty of MMOs have managed to allow it for free without shutting down.

Whatever fits you best dude. If you think that taking a character all the way to max level going through missions and all that stuff instead of paying an in-game price, then again NOT REAL MONEY, so be it.

Who the fuck said anything about paying SE to change your fucking stats? You are already pissed me off, better to ignore you before getting banned.

Jeels

Can someone help me out, when I try to run the PC Benchmark, it says my computer is missing d3dx9_41.dll or something along those lines.

Einbroch

Banned
Jeels said:
Can someone help me out, when I try to run the PC Benchmark, it says my computer is missing d3dx9_41.dll or something along those lines.
Update your DirectX, a lot of people are having issues with it.

It should work then.

notworksafe

Einbroch said:
Hey, I think it's dumb too, but it's not like they're saying that if you want to be the best you have to pay extra.

Of course they're doing it for the money, and it's greedy, but is it worse than say...a twenty five dollar horse?

Yes, there are two links in there for two different games.
The horse thing is really tired. Yes, Blizzard released an optional horse that gives you no benefit at all (the EQ one is different, but Sony is crazy. They'd charge for each sword swing in EQ if they could). Last time I checked, both those games allowed you as many characters as you wanted for free. I wouldn't mind if the system was more like FFXI, but it isn't. Stats are assigned to your character and you'll have to pay gold to be effective at your new class every time you change. It's almost like they designed a system that makes you want to give them more money each month so that you don't have an unneeded gold sink.

Not to mention playing on multiple servers. What if I have friends that play on one server, and GAF plays on another? I guess I'll have to shell out extra money just to be able to play with people I know. Thanks Square!

Einbroch

Banned
notworksafe said:
The horse thing is really tired. Yes, Blizzard released an optional horse that gives you no benefit at all (the EQ one is different, but Sony is crazy. They'd charge for each sword swing in EQ if they could). Last time I checked, both those games allowed you as many characters as you wanted for free. I wouldn't mind if the system was more like FFXI, but it isn't. Stats are assigned to your character and you'll have to pay gold to be effective at your new class every time you change. It's almost like they designed a system that makes you want to give them more money each month so that you don't have an unneeded gold sink.
WoW did the same thing and only recently rectified the issue. You would always pay ~50 gold to respec your class. Every. Single. Time. When I raided I would go through 200 gold a night on respecs alone. Then they released the dual-class specialization. FFXIV, from all accounts, will be similar to how WoW used to be. Pay a Gil fee, be a new class with new stats.

I would be shocked to not see something similar to that (WoW's new method) at FFXIV's launch or shortly after.

So GAF, how am I doing benchmark-wise: set it for LOW, got 3130, Load Time: 56769ms (if it matters). Should I run it at high and also post the score?

notworksafe

You'd think that SQE would have learned something from WoW on that front (keep one melee stat set and one magic stat set), but I suppose not. Just seems like a stupid thing to do. I like the custom stats mechanic, but it seems to go against the ability to easily switch classes. You just won't be as effective in that class until you pay to change your stats. Hopefully its not something you have to go to a city for, or else it'd truly make class changing in the field useless.

And for all the bitching I'm doing...I have already preordered and I'll be ready to play in September with everyone else. :lol

Edeuinu

Really wanted to hold off not upgrading my PC for awhile but that wait is too damn long, PC it is. Any word if it's on Steam, that would be dandy.

notworksafe

Castor Krieg said:
So GAF, how am I doing benchmark-wise: set it for LOW, got 3130, Load Time: 56769ms (if it matters). Should I run it at high and also post the score?
The score seems sorta useless. Basically just look at how the game runs. If you don't see any lagginess or screen tearing, you're golden.

notworksafe

Ugly cover. At least the CE version is much nicer. And it comes with a cup! A CUP!

image358.png

The six extra days of playtime made me get it instantly

Khrno

Ok, so although the CE will be released on the 22nd, the game will most likely start on the 30th or October 1st:

PC Collector’s Edition version of MMO Final Fantasy XIV will be released in Europe on September 22nd. The standard SKU will hit retail on September 30th.

I wonder if there will be an "early start" to create the character and reserve the name for those buying the CE.

notworksafe

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/07/01/ffxiv_date_and_pricing_set/
Buyers of both versions will get exclusive in-game items. The Collectors Edition comes with a code for a helmet that reduces the penalty when you're paralyzed. The standard version includes a code for goggles that increase the speed of your skill growth.
Hm. The Standard Edition item sounds much better.

Khrno said:
I wonder if there will be an "early start" to create the character and reserve the name for those buying the CE.
I swear SQE said they wanted to have Beta users be able to save their names. Also Amazon is advertising that CE buyers will be able to play the game earlier. Maybe work out launch day problems with the hardcore CE buyers so that everything works well when the rest of the masses get the game?

datamage

Top Bottom