• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tragic death leads family to memoralize son with MW3 urn.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I shook my head. R.I.P., Cody. May you cap noobs from that big Activision server in the sky.

OMG they got a tattoo of the box art on them for him, seriously? How tacky can you get? :/

It sucks that he died 5 days after his 18th birthday in a flash fire (?), but emblazing his stuff with MW3 stuff: Really?

TheContact

The video isn't working, can someone explain? His family put his ashes in a MW3 urn?

He died in a fire. He was remembered for loving video games, specifically Modern Warfare. His family got COD Tattoos to remember him and also placed his ashed in a MW3 Urn.

Ketch

... I just... what to say?.. So, confused..

1. Is this really a shitty Activision PR stunt?

2. I really hope he didn't die in a fire because he couldn't stop playing MW3.

3. REALLY? MW3 Urn... REALLY?

4. He should have dove out the window.

5. When they said "Not surprised by the turnout" and there was a group of maybe 12 people there I lol'd.

6. It sucks when people die.

DemonNite

could've had better taste

gj7rV.jpg

RIP

legbone

RIP. Sad story. If that's how they choose to remember him, more power to them. People saying it's "tacky" or whatever can stfu.

test_account

XP-39C²
RIP. I hope that the tattoos help the family get through these tough times better.

4. He should have dove out the window.
He might have been sleeping and got killed by the smoke/fumes first. I think that is the most common death causes in fires, not that the fire itself kills.

legbone

He might have been sleeping and got killed by the smoke/fumes first. I think that is the most common death causes in fires, not that the fire itself kills.

yep, i was in a housefire that killed my best friend when i was 15. the smoke got him. the firefighter that talked with me later stated that is what kills.

okenny

Banned
I was thinking about posting my own disparaging remarks as well but I took pause. Let's face it, a life cut short may not hit the sort of experiences we might consider "the high notes" but his experiences are his and as much as we may think "OMG, this game sux", it's not about the game. The friends he left behind remember a common touch point of where they spent most of their time together. It's as important to them as that moving solo that warned you to your bone on a chili night at some concert that time forgot. It's not for us to appreciate or disapprove of. It's a simple thing that's indelible; a moment of his existence. Let it be.

Maffis

I don't see the problem with a MW3 urn. Seems like a nice way of honoring his love for games, especially Call of Duty.

LQX

Sometimes it is the weirdest things that keep the memory of someone alive. And many sports fanatics request a piece of there team memorabilia be buried with them.

legbone

Sorry to hear that. I would imagine the choke reflex would wake a person up.

thanks. it was 22 years ago so the hurt has subsided mostly. yeah, i figured that too, but they stated that the smoke killed my friend before the fire ever got to him. actually, the fire never really got to him, the heat cooked him. pretty fucked up way to go. i still have fears of being in another house fire. i am really anal about not going to sleep with the dryer running and stuff like that. of course, a short in the wiring is all it takes.

Satchel

Banned
Fuck he burned alive?! Christ, poor kid. RIP.

I need to put in my will that I want a Dreamcast hollowed out and they can put my ashes in that.

Isaccard

Shoutouts to the people focusing on how the family chooses to remember him, rather than the tragedy itself.

RIP Cody.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This. Don't be dicks, people.

Hey, I'm all for remembering what they loved. But tattooing yourself with a box-art logo seems really tacky to me. Not trying to be a dick, just stating my opinion. I'd say the same thing if someone tattooed the boxart of BF3 or CoD4 or Doom on them to remember a person. Just seems really lame to me.

bengraven

RIP.

At least it's a symbol of the kid's passion.

Not like the poor ICP baby girl had a choice in what her coffin was going to be. :(

Hey, I'm all for remembering what they loved. But tattooing yourself with a box-art logo seems really tacky to me. Not trying to be a dick, just stating my opinion. I'd say the same thing if someone tattooed the boxart of BF3 or CoD4 or Doom on them to remember a person. Just seems really lame to me.

Did you see the tattoo? The only thing that looks like CoD is the guy standing there around text referencing him. It's a way of remembering their son. Grieving is not something we do naturally nor is there a norm for how to do it.

RIP. Terrible way to go.

amar212

I present you equally specific story.

One of the most popular Croatian musician was buried - cremated to be more clear - with his copy Call of Duty 4, on September 7, 2008, allegedly to his own will.

Dino Dvornik was among the most talented Croatian musicians and authors, he was called a Croatian King of Funk and his influence and heritage left to the music, not only in Croatia, will not be topped soon.

He fall in love with gaming, but FPS was his major love. Reality show about him and his family (titled "Dvornikovi") was often showing his passion for the genre, but COD4 was his greatest love.

You can watch the video from his funeral ceremony on this link and see the COD4 on the very casket, together with his favorite red hat - by his own request, his funeral had to be a party, not a mourning, and people were dancing and singing there. Background music in the video is one of his best songs, titled "You are in my mind".

He was the most talented artist of our generation in Croatia. When he died, music and art lost so much. RIP Dino.

news9-10-08.jpg

jcm

You may not be trying to be a dick, but you are being a dick. Her teenaged son died.

sakipon

I'd say that gaming is still stigmatized enough in present society that it is different. As the replies to this thread indicate.

Personally I'd choose something a bit more subtle, like an image of a game pad to honor his hobby. For a movie enthusiast perhaps a film reel or a director's chair or something. Symbolic and timeless stuff.

Choosing a specific entertainment product seems a bit shallow. If it's fine for them, then be it, but I think there's more to people's reactions than how we consider gaming.

Top Bottom