• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Legacy |OT| It's not a Rebirth, and it always was [SPOILERS for Legacy #1]

mreddie

MlLAdVq.png

JFWkIig.png

It all starts with a return and a child's prayer...

WHAT IS IT
A new relaunch to Marvel books and sets up the next year of Marvel Comics.

Realizing people are sick of Marvel doing Hero vs. Hero events and Nazi takeovers, Marvel is setting up the pieces to get things back in control.

Old heroes are coming back after a year but don't fret, the new heroes will be alongside them.

marvel_legacy_cover_-_publicity_-_h_2017.jpg

Written by Jason Aaron and art by Esad Ribic
PLUS
Daniel Acuna, Jim Cheung, Russell Dauterman, Ed McGuinness
Stuart Immonen, Greg Land, Pepe Larraz, Alex Maleev
Steve McNiven & Chris Samnee.

COMING 9-27-2017

RETURNING BOOKS:

ANzL5Vo.jpg

Captain America — Written by Mark Waid with artwork by Chris Samnee; legacy numbering starts at #695. In the aftermath of Secret Empire, Steve Rogers returns to his roots and seeks out people to find out how people feel about him and what they want.

Captain_America_Vol_1_695_Textless.jpg

New creative teams:
Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows — Written by Jody Houser with art by Nick Roche
Cable — Written by Ed Brisson and drawn by Jon Malin
Doctor Strange — Written by Donny Cates with art by Gabriel Hernandez Walta
Moon Knight — Written by Max Bemis with art by Jacen Burrows.
Thanos — Written by Donny Cates with art by Geoff Shaw
The Punisher — Written by Matthew Rosenberg with art by Guiu Vilanova
Uncanny Avengers - Written by Jim Zub with art by Sean Izaakse

NEW BOOKS:

Falcon_Vol_2_1.jpg

The Falcon — Written by Rodney Barnes and drawn by Joshua Cassara; new series starting at #1. Sam Wilson returns as The Falcon and mentors Rayshaun Lucas, the all-new Patriot, as they start the new era battling Blackheart.

Tales_of_Suspense_Vol_1_100.jpg

Tales Of Suspense: Red Ledger — Written by Matthew Rosenberg with art by Travel Foreman; 5 issue mini-series. Hawkeye and the Winter Soldier must team up to figure out the mystery of who is striking down the old foes of the Black Widow.

Spirits_of_Vengeance_Vol_2_1.jpg

Spirits of Vengeance — Written by Victor Gischler and drawn by David Baldeon. 5 issue mini-series.

Phoenix_Resurrection_The_Return_of_%28Adult%29_Jean_Grey_Vol_1_1.jpg

Phoenix Resurrection: The Return of Jean Grey — Written by Matthew Rosenberg with art by Lenil Yu. The original Jean Grey returns from the dead! 5 issue mini-series.

Marvel_Two-In-One_Vol_2_1.jpg

Marvel Two-In-One — Written by Chip Zdarsky with art by Jim Cheung. New series starting at #1. Johnny Storm and Ben Grimm reunite to search for the missing Richards Family. Standing in their way is Doctor Doom, who has the key to their whereabouts.

Also, for some reason it's not part of the Legacy banner.

Runaways_Vol_5_1_Textless.jpg

Runaways - Written by Rainbow Rowell and art by Kris Anka; Available Now!

ONE SHOTS (AKA I wish this was a series)

legacydead_-_h_2017.jpg

The Hands of Shang-Chi: Not quite. Written by CM Punk with art by Dalibor Talajic

Silver Sable and the Wild Pack: Written by Christa Faust and drawn by Paulo Siqueira

Not Brand Echh: Written by Nick Spencer, Christopher Hastings, Jay Fosgitt and others, with art by Jay Fosgitt, Gurihiru and more

Dazzler: TBA

Power Pack: Written by Devin Grayson with art by Marika Cresta

Darkhawk: Written by Chad Bowers & Chris Sims and drawn by Kev Walker

Who's the Fantastic Four? I don't know them.

MISSING: Sera, if found, call Angela at KL5-3226.

Special thanks to COMICS-GAF

If you think this is just a copy of DCs Rebirth thread, what do you mean?

Sou Da

Jesus fucking Christ is that going to be a Captain America: Grounded book? Why do these editors still think Waid is a superstar?

Jesus fucking Christ is that going to be a Captain America: Grounded book? Why do these editors still think Waid is a superstar?

Waid making a book like Superman: Grounded would be weird considering he very publicly did a mic drop against Straczynski for doing it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I recall the initial controversy surrounding Cap turning Hydra, but literally had zero context surrounding it other than the panel that set the world on fire.
Reading that primer blurb over secret empire and civil war 2...I suppose yea it’s definitely time to move away from heroes turning on each other for awhile.

That said I bought Civil War 2 during the Marvel sale last week. I didn’t know...

Waid is really bizarre in that he is really REALLY hit or miss.

His Daredevil, to me, is one of the best runs of the character but his Avengers is so completely forgettable, you hardly remember it exists.

caliph95

His Daredevil, to me, is one of the best runs of the character but his Avengers is so completely forgettable, you hardly remember it exists.
There's also champion where he's probably too old for

xclk07

Agree totally with this. Avengers/Champions have been dropped because both are so boring.

But Waid has written Cap (different runs) before and I have enjoyed it. Crossing my fingers this is good- the possibility is there.

Dalek

It’s true. His Daredevil run is perfect. Champions is trash.

Waid/Samnee gave us Daredevil and Black Widow though, I loved both books. They’re by far the most exciting creative team listed there.

Marvel Two-In-One — Written by Chip Zdarsky with art by Jim Cheung. New series starting at #1. Johnny Storm and Ben Grimm reunite to search for the missing Richards Family. Standing in their way is Doctor Doom, who has the key to their whereabouts.

Oh shit, I had no idea about this. I just discovered Zdarsky via Spectacular and I absolutely love his style. Instant buy.
I'll also try Spirits of Vengeance.

jph139

The hilarious thing about the whole "Cap's apology tour" pitch is that, like, why does anyone trust him at all? Like LOOK AT THIS PAGE. Evil Cap is about to fuck shit up, suddenly Old School Cap pops up and beats him up and everyone is immediately like - yay, it's Cap, welcome home buddy, let's not question this sudden turn of events at all!

Like shouldn't the big takeaway here be to NOT immediately trust someone just because they're blonde and dressed like a flag? Dumb.

Anyways here's where I stand with Legacy:

CONTINUING WITH
Avengers & Champions - For some godforsaken reason I'm still pulling these. They're crap like 80% of the time but sometimes... sometimes Waid writes a good one and I'm glad I stuck with it. Still hoping for an overhaul after Worlds Collide but that No Surrender nonsense is discouraging.
Black Panther - I feel like Coates is still finding his footing with the medium but when he's good, he's good. Will be interesting to see him handle Klaw. I expect no pulled punches.
Guardians of the Galaxy - Duggan it hitting a great balance between the old school cosmic and the post-movie canon. Hoping Kuder comes back as the main artist, though.
Ms. Marvel - As good as it's ever been. Hoping things lighten up for Kamala though... she's had a rough couple of months.

PICKING UP
Captain America - As eye-rolling as the premise is, Waid and Samnee on Cap should be fun and stylish. Hopefully the rumors of Coates taking over in 2018 are true, though.
Falcon - I'm tentatively interested, even if the premise is a bit generic. But I'm not sure I trust a writer who edits his own Wikipedia page.
Marvel Two-in-One - Love Zdarsky and Cheung, hate Thing and the Human Torch. I'll give it a shot.
Mighty Thor - I was always on the fence about jumping in or waiting for Marvel Unlimited... but, well, it's now or never, I guess! Hoping Aaron delivers with something suitably epic.

Sadly no. All that great character development right out the window.
Yeah. I'm a little triggered by the summary of Cap Fal in the OP saying he did nothing lmao. I loved him as Captain America ALMOST as much as Jane Thor and I fucking love Jane Thor. Speaking of which I'm glad Jason Aaron is behind this he is one of the most consistent marvel writers nowadays.

Well, I wasn't planning on reading it but of course I'm weak :)

It's kind of amazing how much this mirrored Rebirth in every possible way, although it didn't have a Barry & Wally hug equivalent. Still, it was a good read overall, I enjoyed it. Some interesting story threads but it didn't compel me to start following that many titles.

I'll check out Marvel 2-in-1 (
loved the last few pages of Legacy btw, although that was predictable
) and Spirits of Vengeance. Regarding the latter, I thought the free preview was kinda meh but Blade is involved so I have to give it a shot.

I liked the mystery around
the Celestial
but do we know which title will continue that story? Also,
the infinity gems
... Sigh, again. I guess the movie's coming. Oh well.

Edit:
Maybe this isn't new but I liked the Roxx News thing. Seems appropriate that Roxxon would be the Marvel equivalent to Fox, lol.

Well, I wasn't planning on reading it but of course I'm weak :)

It's kind of amazing how much this mirrored Rebirth in every possible way, although it didn't have a Barry & Wally hug equivalent. Still, it was a good read overall, I enjoyed it. Some interesting story threads but it didn't compel me to start following that many titles.

I'll check out Marvel 2-in-1 (
loved the last few pages of Legacy btw, although that was predictable
) and Spirits of Vengeance. Regarding the latter, I thought the free preview was kinda meh but Blade is involved so I have to give it a shot.

I liked the mystery around
the Celestial
but do we know which title will continue that story? Also,
the infinity gems
... Sigh, again. I guess the movie's coming. Oh well.
The Celestial looks really weird. Someone called it Anime Dreaming Celestial 2.0 and I have to agree with them. Why not just make it look more like Kirby’s designs?

Furyous

RE: Falcon -
Why is Falcon not Captain America?
It sounds like Marvel
let upset "traditional" comics readers get to them either via social media and in the comics themselves.

Captain America
should not exist within the modern Marvel U after Secret Empire because
he's a traitor.

I'm tired of the same characters in the same roles in the same storylines. I'm tired of struggle Peter because we've had years of struggle Peter. If they get rid of Miles and Kamala or diminish their roles then I'm done with Marvel. The same thing applies to Old Man Logan.

The Celestial looks really weird. Someone called it Anime Dreaming Celestial 2.0 and I have to agree with them. Why not just make it look more like Kirby’s designs?

I didn't have a problem with it tbh. We didn't get a super clear view but I thought it looked fine.

Dalek

That was really great. They should just have Aaron write everything at this point.

I wonder how the he’ll they’re going to explain Wakanda having an intergalactic kingdom all this time but it’s never been mentioned.

Kurdel

Banned
Loved it! A bit weird that the main story thread is a Starbrand and Ghost Rider fight, but hey, why not?

Just copying Rebirth is the smartest thing they could have done at this point.

That was really great. They should just have Aaron write everything at this point.

I wonder how the he’ll they’re going to explain Wakanda having an intergalactic kingdom all this time but it’s never been mentioned.

Aaron said on twitter it was all Coates, so I guess he has a plan to reveal it!

Such an awesome page.

caliph95

It's good nothing spectacular I do agree it didn't hit hard as Rebirth

And that's even with knowing spoilers for both rebirth and Legacy but the return was a lot more exciting in Rebirth

The dumb battle nerd in me was wondering how did Robbie stood a chance against Starbrand who but they're implying he is turning into an actual Ghost Rider not a bargain one with the Penance star and Starbrand did attack him so I'm going off tangent

Interested in how that happened

Do have to find something funny about Shield

That after all they previous Fuck ups them getting disbanded was long thing coming and I'm hoping it sticks and get more stories of the aftermath

When did Black Panther got a galactic Empire
I mean with their technology it's not surprising but still

They're pushing Odin and Phoenix

I'm wondering if the hammer origin is like a weird daughter of the two with them implying to have it's own sentience and Phoenix knowledge of it

I do want see more of the cavemen Avengers

Glix

I liked it. I really liked the Avengers BC stuff. Aaron is great.

All the other stuff was just like, little ads for a bunch of the revamped books. I enjoyed or not enjoyed them based on my character and creative team preferences. But the main story was very good imo.

Lenticular cover was lame as hell, especially when compared to the amazing one on this weeks Action Comics.

I do want see more of the cavemen Avengers

I'm pretty certain you will.

I'm pretty certain they will be the focus of an ongoing, or an event, with Aaron at the helm.

Sucks. I'm all for the parts about getting away from Hero v Hero and Nazi traitors and all. But resetting years of continuity to bring back old heroes we've already read decades of redundant stories about is lame. I liked Sam, Jane, Miles, Laura, and the others being the main characters now. I've already read stories about Logan and Steve. For DECADES.

These aren't revamped books, they're devamped.

Caveman Avengers were really interesting.

I found odd how Sam just luckily stumbled on
a "prototype shield"
just like that.

Didn't a White Event was needed to create a new Starbrand?

Well the last one was incomplete, that is why there only was a Starbrand and a Nightmask, we need Justice and the others.

The Legacy one-shot isn't bad, but when less than a quarter of the books you're publishing are new or have new creative teams, it's not even a relaunch. The whole thing is clearly just a stopgap to boost sales a bit before whatever they have lined up for next year.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Let me chime in and say that I'm halfway through Marvel Legacy #01 and, holy shit, this reads like DC Universe Rebirth.

Maybe it's for the better. I don't know. I'm not involved at all in the Marvel universe. I just follow a few series out of academic curiosity. But, man... they were going all in for that Rebirth feeling.

I don't think they can pull it off.

Dalek

Let me chime in and say that I'm halfway through Marvel Legacy #01 and, holy shit, this reads like DC Universe Rebirth.

Maybe it's for the better. I don't know. I'm not involved at all in the Marvel universe. I just follow a few series out of academic curiosity. But, man... they were going all in for that Rebirth feeling.

It definitely is a response to Rebirth-and it's a good read. But it doesn't have that whammy of the Watchmen being involved and Wally West returning, etc.

Glix

The more I think and discuss it the more I really like this idea of retconning some cool as legacy mantles into the MU.

The fact that an Iron Fist, Phoenix Host, Mjolnir Wielder, Sorcerer Supreme, Starbrand, Black Panther, and a Spirit of Vengeance have been running around the MU from the very start is a cool ass thing and can lead to a lot of interesting stories.

I'm in.

caliph95

The more I think and discuss it the more I really like this idea of retconning some cool as legacy mantles into the MU.

The fact that an Iron Fist, Phoenix Host, Mjolnir Wielder, Sorcerer Supreme, Starbrand, Black Panther, and a Spirit of Vengeance have been running around the MU from the very start is a cool ass thing and can lead to a lot of interesting stories.

I'm in.
I was surprised that Sorcerer supreme Black Panther and Iron Fist was that old but fine with it and it makes sense for the rest of them to be that old

Still hope we get the origin mjonir

Also I guess this confirmed that Odin is the one true religion and the rest are pretenders if Odin made midgard

VeeP

Yea, it definitely had similar vibes, but imo I preferred Rebirth. I’m curious as to how long they’ve had this planned and if it was a response or not to DC/slow sales/etc.

Top Bottom