• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Direct Nintendo Games 2013.1.23 - Jan. 23rd, 9 AM EST, 2 PM GMT, 11 PM JP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

I know this was already done, but oh well:

Guesses on release dates (Japan considering the focus of the presentation, though most of these will hold for other regions):

March- Game & Wario
April- Wii Fit U
May- Pikmin 3
June- Wonderful 101
July/August- Wii U Party
Fall- Wind Waker (confirmed)
Fall- Yarn Yoshi (seems like a title they would hold off on revealing if it was too far away- not a major major seller)
November- Super Mario Universe or whatever it is called
December- X

2014- Mario Kart, Smash, Bayo 2 and SMTxFE.

Edit- It wasn't shown but I bet Retro's game is holiday 2013.

No way X or Retro is ready by this holiday. Replace X with Mario Kart.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

I dunno- they have had a while to work on it, and it seemed in pretty good shape already from the trailer. Remember, Xenoblade came out in June 2010 in Japan.

zroid

Banned
X is impossible for holiday. MAYBE in Japan, but certainly not worldwide. I think Retro's game has a pretty good shot, though. I'll bet it's in presentable, and even playable condition right now, but they held it back to save at least one big Wii U announcement for E3.

Neifirst

I am not hyped for Mario Kart. That's a first for me.

But I still believe they can win me over. Introduce a really cool asymmetric multiplayer mechanic (like Double Dash, but more interesting) and I might be on board.

Also: item toggle

If they go and iterate on everything Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed did in the single-player mode, I'm on board. Even better is if they expanded it to become Nintendo Kart, but it doesn't sound like that's happening. Seems like such a missed opportunity!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
X is impossible for holiday. MAYBE in Japan, but certainly not worldwide. I think Retro's game has a pretty good shot, though. I'll bet it's in presentable, and even playable condition right now, but they held it back to save at least one big Wii U announcement for E3.

Yeah I was only talking about Japan for X.

PhantomR

Banned

diddy-c-mon-son_o_GIFSoup.com_.gif

ArynCrinn

Banned
I totally called the Goodfeel game! But for once I wasn't disappointed by a Nintendo direct. Good stuff. I need to see more of X before I get too excited.

ffdgh

Oh wait the same people that made kirby epic yarn made wario land shake it?

If so I would love to have some more impossible challenges in yarn yoshi.

If memory serves when they showed off DKCR in E3 they said they had over half the game complete... then they released it about 4 months. They can be pretty fast developing, I think you're right.

i dont actually understand the "we all knew mario 3d and mario kart were coming so its not worth being excited about" concept...

i mean, sure, we know they would eventually be on the system. but being playable at e3 makes a release date within the next 18 months (and maybe even by the end of the year) a whole lot more possible. and thats worth getting excited over.

i dont think a new tokyo EAD mario will ever be something i just brush off.

Well wasn't long ago that you were preaching up and down NeoGAF that there would be no Wii U games in the Nintendo Direct.

Don't want to offend you but you might want to step back and look at things realistically. Retro's last project was released in 2010. They have been expanding a lot since then. IIRC they have 2 teams now. It seems plausible that they could have a title ready.

Sandfox

Wasn't Retro's game supposed to be shown at E3 last year but pulled at the last second? I'd be shocked if didn't come out this year.

I know this was already done, but oh well:

Guesses on release dates (Japan considering the focus of the presentation, though most of these will hold for other regions):

March- Game & Wario
April- Wii Fit U
May- Pikmin 3
June- Wonderful 101
July/August- Wii U Party
Fall- Wind Waker (confirmed)
Fall- Yarn Yoshi (seems like a title they would hold off on revealing if it was too far away- not a major major seller)
November- Super Mario Universe or whatever it is called
December- X

2014- Mario Kart, Smash, Bayo 2 and SMTxFE.

Edit- It wasn't shown but I bet Retro's game is holiday 2013.

summer - Yoshi
Late summer - Wind Waker
October - Super Mario Universe, Wii Sports U
November - New Miyamoto IP
December - Mario Kart 8,
2014 - Fire Emblem, X, Bayonetta 2

Hopefully something from Monster Game inbetween somewhere this year... Was looking forward to that more than even Goodfeel.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wasn't Retro's game supposed to be shown at E3 last year but pulled at the last second? I'd be shocked if didn't come out this year.

That was an unconfirmed rumor I had a hard time believing even then.

Have always said Retro's game will be E3 2013 and no sooner.

i dont actually understand the "we all knew mario 3d and mario kart were coming so its not worth being excited about" concept...

i mean, sure, we know they would eventually be on the system. but being playable at e3 makes a release date within the next 18 months (and maybe even by the end of the year) a whole lot more possible. and thats worth getting excited over.

It's hard to get too hyped about something without something more concrete than that it exists in some unknown form. Of course it's good to know they're out there, but that was pretty much a given.

DjRoomba

Banned
I think the logical conclusion is that Retro is working on something 3DS, cos Iwata just mentioned everything they have got going for Wii U, saying 3DS later. I don't think he randomly left Retro out for E3 surprise..

BTW do we know Whether its MG1 guys or MG2/3D Land working on the new Mario? Iwata seemed to group those 2 groups of devs together..

javac

Yup I mean we all know GTA V is coming out for example but whenever we get new info/trailers/screens everyone gets excited, and rightfully so. Of course we know Mario kart etc is in the works, but hearing it from the horses mouth is exciting!

big youth

Retro is working on a large scale Wii U game. they weren't the only Nintendo developer unaccounted for this morning. Nintendo is saving some reveals for E3.

the Wii Sports U prediction a few posts up is interesting. It certainly seems like a logical game to showcase at E3, and perhaps you're right, release in 2013.

I think the logical conclusion is that Retro is working on something 3DS, cos Iwata just mentioned everything they have got going for Wii U, saying 3DS later. I don't think he randomly left Retro out for E3 surprise..

BTW do we know Whether its MG1 guys or MG2/3D Land working on the new Mario? Iwata seemed to group those 2 groups of devs together..

Reggie already said that Retro was making a Wii U game

Kacho

No way they announced everything for the Wii U today.

Anth0ny

Well wasn't long ago that you were preaching up and down NeoGAF that there would be no Wii U games in the Nintendo Direct.

Don't want to offend you but you might want to step back and look at things realistically. Retro's last project was released in 2010. They have been expanding a lot since then. IIRC they have 2 teams now. It seems plausible that they could have a title ready.

i stopped looking at things realistically a long time ago

this is NINTENDO we're talking about here

I think we'll see Retro's game at E3. But it won't be ready for the holiday. Why? Cause they need more time. Just a random prediction, no real basis behind it.

wow I gotta say I now have a new outlook on nintendo. The concept of miiverse is quite amazing and better then anything I've seen. Having gaming communities in the console where you can ask for help, watch embedded videos which is good for tutorials, draw, use spoiler tags etc. I call that a next gen OS.

The exclusives are also starting to look good. I'm still getting a ps4 but I have a new found respect for nintendo and I'm sure they'll have games that will be very desirable.

Alcibiades

Does anyone believe Game and Wario isn't ready to go? I think they may be waiting on the install base to get a little bigger. It would be sent to die and be forgotten at the moment.

Terrell

Hey guys, remember when this Nintendo Direct was supposed to be a huge letdown that couldn't possibly spark new interest in Wii U?!

Metallix87

Does anyone believe Game and Wario isn't ready to go? I think they may be waiting on the install base to get a little bigger. It would be sent to die and be forgotten at the moment.

Maybe they delayed it to add in some extra bells and whistles? I honestly was expecting it at launch.

Hey guys, remember when this Nintendo Direct was supposed to be a huge letdown that couldn't possibly spark new interest in Wii U?!

It was a huge letdown according to Edge magazine. Why can't all those games announced be released tomorrow? Just more future broken promises by Nintendo

Alcibiades

To be fair, they didn't exactly announce anything extraordinary for the next 6 months. They have 5 games out between now and September, one of which is an "expanded audience" title, so only four "real" games - Game and Wario, Lego City Undercover, Pikmin 3, and The Wonderful 101.

Not bad but still a let down. Even an announcement of Wii Sports U as part of the summer lineup would have helped matters.

Anyone wanna take a guess at the release schedule?

I'd say

March - Lego City Undercover
May - Wii Fit U
June - Pikmin 3
August - Game and Wario
September - The Wonderful 101

Kacho

To be fair, they didn't exactly announce anything extraordinary for the next 6 months. They have 5 games out between now and September, one of which is an "expanded audience" title, so only four "real" games - Game and Wario, Lego City Undercover, Pikmin 3, and The Wonderful 101.

Not bad but still a let down. Even an announcement of Wii Sports U as part of the summer lineup would have helped matters.

Anyone wanna take a guess at the release schedule?

I'd say

March - Lego City Undercover
May - Wii Fit U
June - Pikmin 3
August - Game and Wario
September - The Wonderful 101

They have a third party ND coming soon as well. What is scheduled beyond the infamous launch period is still a mystery.

You know when I spent some time away from gaf and didn't have to deal with the incessant Nintendo is doomed crowd or the ridiculous hyperbole crowd I can actually be very happy about all the announcements. I'm there day 1 for Wind Waker(looks gorgeous) and X(just beautiful can't wait to explore this world).

The fanboys and haters can make it difficult to enjoy anything around here sometimes.

You know when I spent some time away from gaf and didn't have to deal with the incessant Nintendo is doomed crowd or the ridiculous hyperbole crowd I can actually be very happy about all the announcements. I'm there day 1 for Wind Waker(looks gorgeous) and X(just beautiful can't wait to explore this world).

The fanboys and haters can make it difficult to enjoy anything around here sometimes.

I hear ya, sometimes I just gotta take off the GAF goggles, man. The games industry isn't as scary a place as GAF may have us think sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom