• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Was the Best-Selling Video Game System in April; Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

The install base needs to grow a bit first. Software launches are typically front-loaded too, although to a lesser extent with Nintendo games. I'd say 1 million in the US as of the end of May is pretty ambitious but also possible. 1.5m would probably be over 100% attach rate.

I think it's quite doable, 550k in the US sold over a couple days in April and without another really major title on Switch this month( unless you count the umpteenth release of Street Fighter II as one), it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Banned
So, Switch sells the most despite hardware shortages and only 280k units sold. But this is a bad thing? Lol.

Luth1en

The Mario Kart port was Nintendo's worst mistake ever
Everyone already played it on Wii U...

I'd classify both 'Everyone' and 'worst mistake ever' as extreme exaggerations. A bit more than 13m people own a Wii U. Moreover, the game is excellent and it's selling like hot cakes so calling it a mistake is an odd choice of words.

In my opinion, Nintendo took the best Mario Kart ever and made it better and more accessible to the world. Plus, it sells Nintendo Switches so I really don't see a downside.

I think it's quite doable, 550k in the US sold over a couple days in April and without another really major title on Switch this month( unless you count the umpteenth release of Street Fighter II as one), it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Yeah I may not have used the right words there. I think it's definitely realistic but also quite a good achievement, so no need to shoot for 1.5m haha

So, Switch sells the most despite hardware shortages and only 280k units sold. But this is a bad thing? Lol.

It's only a bad thing inasmuch as it indicates how bad the stock shortages were and how slow the ramping up of production is.

I'd classify both 'Everyone' and 'worst mistake ever' as extreme exaggerations. A bit more than 13m people own a Wii U. Moreover, the game is excellent and it's selling like hot cakes so calling it a mistake is an odd choice of words.

In my opinion, Nintendo took the best Mario Kart ever and made it better and more accessible to the world. Plus, it sells Nintendo Switches so I really don't see a downside.

Given the contents of the OP of this thread I'm betting that post was sarcastic.

JayBabay

Even if they are being conservative, couldn't they ship at least 500k+ units a month and once they notice sales taper off they can reduce production? They know it's going to eventually sell over 1 million, 2 million, 3 million, so on and so forth. What is wrong with having units readily available on shelves after a couple months if they are going to eventually sell? Do retailers require that the product be sold days after it has been received even though it was floor space dedicated specifically for it permanently.

I could be wrong, but I feel like the comment you're quoting was intended as sarcasm.

Even if they are being conservative, couldn't they ship at least 500k+ units a month and once they notice sales taper off they can reduce production? They know it's going to eventually sell over 1 million, 2 million, 3 million, so on and so forth. What is wrong with having units readily available on shelves after a couple months if they are going to eventually sell? Do retailers require that the product be sold days after it has been received even though it was floor space dedicated specifically for it permanently.

Sorry I just woke up and I'm having trouble parsing this.

Do you mean manufacture at least 500k per month? Because there's no reason to believe that they're sitting on unshipped stock. That doesn't benefit them. They're shipping them out literally as fast as they can produce them, and then retailers are selling out as fast as they receive them. There's nothing to help that situation right now.

The best they can do is ramp up production, which involves many moving parts and several different suppliers for the components. The screens are not made by the same company as CPU, etc. They need to independently increase their orders from all suppliers and not all of them are going to have the means to just flip a switch and make 500k instead of 250k. Then, when they do manage to get that production line all greased up and running overtime, they still need to ship. Stock is usually shipped by boat, as it's cheapest and most economical. It takes around 3 weeks for shipments to go from factories in Asia to stores in America.

And yeah, it's extraordinarily expensive for Nintendo to overship to retailers. That happened with the 3DS and the Wii U and they took a massive hit in profits as a result.

Especially with key software launching in summer, expect supply constraints like this for at least another few months. They way things are spaced out, and then leading into the holidays, it may be 2018 before Nintendo is fully able to match demand.

Zedark

Sorry I just woke up and I'm having trouble parsing this.

Do you mean manufacture at least 500k per month? Because there's no reason to believe that they're sitting on unshipped stock. That doesn't benefit them. They're shipping them out literally as fast as they can produce them, and then retailers are selling out as fast as they receive them. There's nothing to help that situation right now.

The best they can do is ramp up production, which involves many moving parts and several different suppliers for the components. The screens are not made by the same company as CPU, etc. They need to independently increase their orders from all suppliers and not all of them are going to have the means to just flip a switch and make 500k instead of 250k. Then, when they do manage to get that production line all greased up and running overtime, they still need to ship. Stock is usually shipped by boat, as it's cheapest and most economical. It takes around 3 weeks for shipments to go from factories in Asia to stores in America.

And yeah, it's extraordinarily expensive for Nintendo to overship to retailers. That happened with the 3DS and the Wii U and they took a massive hit in profits as a result.

Especially with key software launching in summer, expect supply constraints like this for at least another few months. They way things are spaced out, and then leading into the holidays, it may be 2018 before Nintendo is fully able to match demand.

He means that they should have made more before the system launched (i.e. had larger production numbers when they started production rather than upping them when success came), and should have taken the risk of Switch not taking off, since eventually (which could have been many months as with Wii U) the units would have been sold.

A.J.

Banned
Consumer spending is generally way down in April for most stuff due to taxes being due. Even if the Switch were readily available, it wouldn't be immune to these trends.

But launch period rush should keep sales high along with demand bleed over from March since supply was low. It's not going to be held to standard by general April consumerism.

I mean retailers aren't the one and only thing that matter. Production also is important and probably China is always working 110% of capacity. Find a empty line of production probably is not easy

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Mario Kart 8 coming out on the 28th and still crushing shit in April is impressive stuff.

I'm glad to see Nintendo doing well.

Well, we know Nintendo doubled their order for the rest of the year. I doubt the April numbers saw any of that production increase since it takes time to ramp up.

May numbers should give a better idea of where production will be going forward.

Well, we know Nintendo doubled their order for the rest of the year. I doubt the April numbers saw any of that production increase since it takes time to ramp up.

May numbers should give a better idea of where production will be going forward.

The fact that there was a huge drop in shipments to Japan this week (~25k sold and completely sold out) should tell us that we still haven't seen the increased units yet as of mid-early May.

TLZ

Banned
It's quite baffling to see so many people say that 280k is bad, especially since this the first time in SIX YEARS that a platform has been able to reach those numbers in the U.S.

3DS, Vita, Wii U, PS4, Xbox One. None of those have reached sales of 280k in April. Add in to this that Switch is supply constrained and this is a pretty good number. (whilst at the same time showing how much Nintendo needs to work to let supply catch up to the demand)

Get ready folks, come later this summer we'll be seeing the Switch take off in a way that the PS4 could only dream off.

I honestly thought with the crazy PS4 numbers we have, that it's been doing close to a million a month in the US since release.

Do you know how much it did in the months following release up to April?

Top Bottom