• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

leng jai

Just tried a race with a heavy storm and came away very impressed, even with countless hours of DriveClub under my belt. I actually think the rain droplets look more realistic here due to their size - DC's look a bit thick in comparison. The sound design is also better - rain is more audible and the pitter patter in cockpit view sounds more satisfying. It's definitely a major performance hit though on my rig (2500k/970) with drops to almost 50fps with no other cars in the race. Makes Evolution's work on PS4 even more impressive considering it has zero drops (albeit at 30fps) no matter how heavy the conditions it.

It's exciting to think the benchmark for weather effects has been well and truly raised for this generation. GT and Forza will have to step it up.

Slash76

I bought it yesterday on PS4 (Spain) and I´m really loving this game. It´s hard to handle ( no assistances ) but it is so satisfactory when you improve your performance and lap time. I made some individual races to check different cars and tracks, but since I started the "Career" mode, I can´t stop playing it. This is my first race at Career mode, karts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU_p0d3sMvE

How is everyone going with a controller and no assists?

PS4, finding it very hard to control with certain cars, even to go straight!. Feels like this game has been designed to be played with a wheel. You have to make use of the analog buttons ( pressure sensitive) something that's easier to manage with a wheel.

The best feeling you can have is when you anticipate something for a long time and when you finally experience it's actually better. After two hours playing this i am happy as a little kid to know that this game is better than i thought.

I'm stunned. Driving feels better than i've ever tried on videogames. I was afraid the physics could be somewhat disappointing, but no, they are sublime. God cars feel like god cars, crap cars feel like crap cars.

No driving on ice, no exquisite feelings, it just incredibly fun to just drive around with any car anywhere. I'm mostly doing hotlaps and if the game was only that it would be enough for me.

Started with the karts, i know i don't have to, but i guess it's just old habits from playing racing games with progression ever since the late 80's.

I've driven karts in real life, so it's one of the few cars i can actually know if it's realistic without having to listen to anyone's opinion. It is, they feel great. I was afraid they would be shit like in GT, but no, they are awesome!

There are issues when you hit other karts, but that has nothing to do with how they feel.

I've tried the FA at Spa and in five minutes it was the most fun i've ever had with a formula car in a racing game.

I've barely scratched the game and already i feel like it's one of the best games i have ever played. Now it's just a matter of expanding and adding more and more content. The core of the game is everything i ever wanted out of a racing sim.

Slash76

PS4, finding it very hard to control with certain cars, even to go straight!. Feels like this game has been designed to be played with a wheel. You have to make use of the analog buttons ( pressure sensitive) something that's easier to manage with a wheel.

It´s ok for me altough I´ve read some people complaining about this. When you are running at low speed it´s hard to turn, but I see it as a simulator game fact.

It's annoying that you have to restart the game after changing any visual setting. I'm playing at 1440P with a 780Ti so I have to turn a few things down to hold at 60 FPS and it's a frustrating process.

Trident7

rift in extended mode.Only works in race.Set rez to rift 1920x1080 and 74hz (?) and turn shadows off (they don't work properly)
tricky to work through menus in the rift but well worth it.
Apparently there will be patches to improve rift compatibility.

ah thanks, guess ill have to wait to play on rift but in the mean time i need a racing wheel.

nikos

Played the PC version for a bit at a friend's place and it felt like the game was never meant to be played with a controller. Sort of a deal breaker, as I no longer have a wheel, but I may try to work with it.

Zeth

Fullscreen not working for me on my 1440 monitor. Had to start the game on my secondary 1080p monitor, set it to windowed mode and restart. 1440 Windowed is fine (no borderless option though?). But I can't get it to work in full screen, alt+enter doesn't help because it won't focus on the game -weird. Game is awesome though.

jesus, the single player racing is super fun. love this pick a type of racing and season format. only been racing the lowest gt series so far. loving it. even 2 or 5 lap races work ok if you get practice and qualifying sessions, take note forza and gran turismo.

anyone else having the pc version not close down properly? it stays as a running game for steam here, and I have to end process and restart steam to get rid of it. the game's process disappears, but steam doesn't recognise it closing.

The Stealth Fox

Is it true that a 980 can't lock this game at 60 fps at 1080p in the Rain with 20 cars? That's what some benchmarks indicate.

What settings are considered the most costly with minimal loss in visual fidelity?

For those wanting G25/G27 settings:

Logitech Profiler is set to all default settings with 900 degrees of lock.

In-game, change the FFB strength slider to 100, and in the advanced force feedback config:

Tire Force: Anywhere from 100-140 depending on preference. Personally found success with 110.

Dead zone removal: 0.02

Scoop knee: 0.50

Scoop reduction: 0.10

Then adjust and tweak per car in their setup menus, where changing the master scale, smoothing and spindle scale values make the most difference.

The FFB itself still feels a bit lacking compared to other sims but it's more than useable.

Is it true that a 980 can't lock this game at 60 fps at 1080p in the Rain with 20 cars? That's what some benchmarks indicate.

What settings are considered the most costly with minimal loss in visual fidelity?

Reflections, environment maps, shadows and grass quality can all be dropped without looking that much different when driving around and should help a fair bit with framerate.

CPU-bound situations like races with many AI are gonna cause drops no matter the settings you run though, so running a locked 60 in all situations is very difficult at this point.

krpiper

Where would I be talking for performance on high/medium-ish at 1440*900 (I need a new monitor I know)

i5-4460
r9 290
8GB RAM.

I know there was some ATI issues, but I might grab it with the GMG code...

Where would I be talking for performance on high/medium-ish at 1440*900 (I need a new monitor I know)

i5-4460
r9 290
8GB RAM.

I know there was some ATI issues, but I might grab it with the GMG code...

Should at least be between 50-60 fps at that resolution at medium settings, possibly higher.

Weird, in one of the running start races it ran me straight into a wall and kept me revving into it before I could even take control :/

Dave_6

In-game, change the FFB strength slider to 100, and in the advanced force feedback config:

Tire Force: Anywhere from 100-140 depending on preference. Personally found success with 110.

Then adjust and tweak per car in their setup menus, where changing the master scale, smoothing and spindle scale values make the most difference.

The FFB itself still feels aitut lacking compared to other sims but it's more than useable.

Thank you! I'll try this out!

aro52

Played the PC version for a bit at a friend's place and it felt like the game was never meant to be played with a controller. Sort of a deal breaker, as I no longer have a wheel, but I may try to work with it.

Hmm. This is disconcerting. I don't wanna have to go drop several hundred more dollars to play this!
Damn I wish I could justify it! :/

Hmm. This is disconcerting. I don't wanna have to go drop several hundred more dollars to play this!
Damn I wish I could justify it! :/

I can play it perfectly fine with an Xbox controller on PC. Not sure if they have badly configured settings or are just flooring it all the time, but it's nothing like what they're saying.

cackhyena

This game is pretty great so far. One weird glitch running a kart race. Was supposed to be a 3 lap run and every time I'd cross the line, nothing happened. I was perpetually on lap 1. Had to restart and then everything worked out. Loving the wide field of view option.

I can play it perfectly fine with an Xbox controller on PC. Not sure if they have badly configured settings or are just flooring it all the time, but it's nothing like what they're saying.
Agreed.

Slash76

I agree, I think that some of those complaints are beacuse some people are not used to sim racers ( Not meaning everyone that complaints ). I read on a spanish board somebody complaining about "not turning the car, going straight", and from his explanation I guess that the only thing that happened is that he blocked the wheels because of not braking properly.

RP912

Banned
Had to turn down some effects in order to play on some tracks. Other than that, the game is amazing. I did some multiplayer and had a good few clean races but encountered a glitch where my controller froze up.

Overall, I love this game.

Had to turn down some effects in order to play on some tracks. Other than that, the game is amazing. I did some multiplayer and had a good few clean races but encountered a glitch where my controller froze up.

Overall, I love this game.

Are you playing with any assists or driving aids?

This game is pretty great so far. One weird glitch running a kart race. Was supposed to be a 3 lap run and every time I'd cross the line, nothing happened. I was perpetually on lap 1. Had to restart and then everything worked out. Loving the wide field of view option.

Noticed that myself. Had to restart two or three races because of it.

Searched and searched but not having luck, what's the customisation like in regards to tuning cars?

No customisation, you can only configure parts that are already on, like adjusting gear ratios and downforce.

Cru

The FFB itself still feels aitut lacking compared to other sims but it's more than useable.

This helped out a lot thanks.

Buburibon

Agreed. Granted, I am using ABS and traction control. Just like I do in real life.

lem0n

The best feeling you can have is when you anticipate something for a long time and when you finally experience it's actually better. After two hours playing this i am happy as a little kid to know that this game is better than i thought.

I'm stunned. Driving feels better than i've ever tried on videogames. I was afraid the physics could be somewhat disappointing, but no, they are sublime. God cars feel like god cars, crap cars feel like crap cars.

No driving on ice, no exquisite feelings, it just incredibly fun to just drive around with any car anywhere. I'm mostly doing hotlaps and if the game was only that it would be enough for me.

Started with the karts, i know i don't have to, but i guess it's just old habits from playing racing games with progression ever since the late 80's.

I've driven karts in real life, so it's one of the few cars i can actually know if it's realistic without having to listen to anyone's opinion. It is, they feel great. I was afraid they would be shit like in GT, but no, they are awesome!

There are issues when you hit other karts, but that has nothing to do with how they feel.

I've tried the FA at Spa and in five minutes it was the most fun i've ever had with a formula car in a racing game.

I've barely scratched the game and already i feel like it's one of the best games i have ever played. Now it's just a matter of expanding and adding more and more content. The core of the game is everything i ever wanted out of a racing sim.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Thanks for sharing. It is one hell of a game, and a perfect companion to DiRT Rally and Assetto Corsa. I love that they all bring something different to the table.

I was in first place and all of a sudden a bell rang and I was in last. No message came on screen and I didn't hit anyone or go off track. Anyone know what happened? I was still in first despite the position changing.

paskowitz

While I largely agree, I do find some car physics to be questionable. Mostly the super cars, which feel overly exaggerated in terms of over/understeer. But pretty much all the race cars are sublime to drive. I personally love the two fantasy LMP1 cars. Overall, physics are somewhere between Gran Turismo and RaceRoomRacing Experience.

I am also not a fan of the Ai, but then again, no SIM has really "good" AI, so comparatively it is acceptable.

I dont suppose anyone knows how to activate rift with the game?

Rift must be in extended mode. Then edit the in game settings to 1920x1080 74hz. Also, unless you have a Titan X, turn EVERYTHING down to high or medium settings. I have a GTX980 with a nice overclock and it doesn't come to close to delivering a stable 74fps 1080p experience with max settings on the DK2.

I bought it yesterday on PS4 (Spain) and I´m really loving this game. It´s hard to handle ( no assistances ) but it is so satisfactory when you improve your performance and lap time. I made some individual races to check different cars and tracks, but since I started the "Career" mode, I can´t stop playing it. This is my first race at Career mode, karts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU_p0d3sMvE
I gotta say, I love that they start you out in goddamn go-karts. :lol

As it should be!

mandiller

What's the difference in graphics between the PS4 version and PC version? I could buy it on either one and have a reasonable PC (2500k 680gtx), but I think I like the couch/console gaming for racing. I don't have any wheels so that's not an issue. But if it runs and looks considerably worse on PS4 it might be a good idea for me to get it on PC.

Repo Man

Damn, I feel like a little kid who wants his toy NOW!

Bought a 360 controller during the weekend for the PC to play some of the games in my steam library and then I realized that this actually opens up new gaming options like racing games and remembered Project Cars. Been reading threads and watching vids for the last 2 days and I'm now excited to the point that I really want the game but not sure if I wanna get penny stretching with 2½ weeks to go untill payday and I got the coming weekend off from work too. DAMN IT! Why couldn't the game be delayed for 2 more weeks! :p

Knowing me, I'll cave in and buy it anyway.

Karak

What's the difference in graphics between the PS4 version and PC version? I could buy it on either one and have a reasonable PC (2500k 680gtx), but I think I like the couch/console gaming for racing. I don't have any wheels so that's not an issue. But if it runs and looks considerably worse on PS4 it might be a good idea for me to get it on PC.

It absolutely does. PC all the way for this one.

danowat

Banned
In the options tab, from the menu press R1 to get into options, I think (ps4) then select audio then go down to speaker.

Thanks.

Just done 20 laps with the BMW procar on the community event.

Pad, all assists off, every setting default out of the box.

Managed a 1:52 for 36th on the leaderboard, loads more time to come.

Physics are sublime, more grip than Forza, but more punishing at the extremes of the grip envelope.

While I largely agree, I do find some car physics to be questionable. Mostly the super cars, which feel overly exaggerated in terms of over/understeer. But pretty much all the race cars are sublime to drive. I personally love the two fantasy LMP1 cars. Overall, physics are somewhere between Gran Turismo and RaceRoomRacing Experience.

The DTM C-Class that i've tried i found it better in Project Cars compared to the Raceroom version. Very close actually, but a bit better in Cars.

It's nice because some cars are in Raceroom, Assetto and Project Cars, so it will make for interesting comparisons.

Ragus

Banned
EOQFffY.jpg

<3

Physics are sublime, more grip than Forza, but more punishing at the extremes of the grip envelope.

That's something i remember reading Ben Collins say in the feedback book. Those cars are supposed to be easy to drive in slow speeds. The challenge is when you are right at their limit.

I really, really despise rFactor and iRacing (the little i've tried) approach of slippery ice rink physics models that make you believe race cars are utter garbage. Having grip but being challenging when pushing it is very good.

Kind of confused, where do I go to accept contract offers or switch disciplines? Just won the first karting championship and got lots of emails but I'm not sure how the system works.

Denur

Looking forward to playing this on the PS4 later today. Played a bit of GT6 yesterday to get sim-feel going again, after having spend so much time on DriveClub.

danowat

Banned
I remember someone saying "I am sure you'll find a good AI setting as there are 100 levels of AI"

There aren't, there are 10....

Top Bottom