• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think he means like a cloud of fireflies that hangs in one place, and then as you approach it just disappears.

I've wondered also, but I figured they were just embellishments to look pretty.

They're not the sparkles that you chase around.

Yeah they don't move around. I'll try to screenshot it. It's always low to the ground and they disappear when you get close. I thought they indicated some sort of hidden item but I've never found anything where they gather.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I have explored every inch of Hyrule castle and still haven't found the
Farosh scale
. There must be one! It doesn't make sense to me that there would be
fang shards from each dragon, but scales only from Dinraal and Nayru.
I don't really need it but it's the principle of the thing. At one point I'm sure I had destroyed every enemy in the castle. I had the whole place to myself until a blood moon brought them back.

I can confirm there is indeed one.

DonShula

I feel like I have explored every inch of Hyrule castle and still haven't found the
Farosh scale
. There must be one! It doesn't make sense to me that there would be
fang shards from each dragon, but scales only from Dinraal and Nayru.
I don't really need it but it's the principle of the thing. At one point I'm sure I had destroyed every enemy in the castle. I had the whole place to myself until a blood moon brought them back.

Yep it's in there. I started at the ground level and worked my way up. I feel like it was closer to the bottom than the top, but I honestly can't remember now.

DonShula

The scale of this game still impresses me. After 165 hours, I finally found my last memory. It was the one with the horse statue. What gets me is that
it was on a marked path, easily spotted if you're just riding a horse through the area. You'll literally run right into it accidentally.
And it took me 165 hours to find this, after revealing all the map locations. This really bodes well for replayability because truly no two games will be the same progression. Not even close.

Last night I made it to what is basically the doorstep of the final battle, but I feel like I am missing something. I am between the 55-60 hour mark in playtime, have completed 75 Shrines, found 50 Korok Seeds, uncovered every area of the map and done I would guess around 50% of the side quests.

When I look and see people are regularly spending 1-200 hours in this game, it makes me feel like there are huge parts of this game I skipped over. I don't have the slightest interest in finding all the Korok Seeds, feel pretty good about finding 75 Shrines without a guide and wouldn't feel accomplished by either using a guide to find the rest or spend countless hours specifically looking for them.

Basically what I am trying to get at is, to those 100+ hour players, are you trying to reach as close to 100% completion as possible, just taking everything very slowly, not using fast travel, or something else; because I want the final battle to be my last experience with this title for the foreseeable future (I plan on returning maybe a year or two from now when it will all seem fresh again and all the DLC will be out).

DNAbro

I assume it's known there is a glitch with Kass where he doesn't return to Rito Village? Anybody know a way to force him back?

edit: oh there was one shrine quest I completed without talking to him and his diary registers it as if I did talk to him. went to the location and found him.

edit2: or not. Ugh he still hasn't moved over.

edit3: and he finally moved. kaaaaaaay

Anteo

Last night I made it to what is basically the doorstep of the final battle, but I feel like I am missing something. I am between the 55-60 hour mark in playtime, have completed 75 Shrines, found 50 Korok Seeds, uncovered every area of the map and done I would guess around 50% of the side quests.

When I look and see people are regularly spending 1-200 hours in this game, it makes me feel like there are huge parts of this game I skipped over. I don't have the slightest interest in finding all the Korok Seeds, feel pretty good about finding 75 Shrines without a guide and wouldn't feel accomplished by either using a guide to find the rest or spend countless hours specifically looking for them.

Basically what I am trying to get at is, to those 100+ hour players, are you trying to reach as close to 100% completion as possible, just taking everything very slowly, not using fast travel, or something else; because I want the final battle to be my last experience with this title for the foreseeable future (I plan on returning maybe a year or two from now when it will all seem fresh again and all the DLC will be out).

Personally, I beat the game after only 2 beasts and half the map uncovered (final battle is also longer as has more phases if you dont defeat all beasts). So after that I just kept playing.

RedZaraki

Banned
Hi guys.

I played this game for 170 hours and then sold my Switch....

And then I couldn't stop thinking about the game and the amazing world and the sense of wonder.

..so I fucking bought the Switch again just to play it. Starting fresh and the magic is still there, amazingly.

I think I've lost my god damn mind. Either that or this is my favorite game of all time.

Buy why sell the Switch in the first place? I never understand this "carousel" mentality. You never end up with enough money to be worth it.

Red

I can confirm there is indeed one.

Yep it's in there. I started at the ground level and worked my way up. I feel like it was closer to the bottom than the top, but I honestly can't remember now.
I found
Dinraal's scale
near the base, but I guess I'll have to go back down and scour the place again. I've been running in circles around going gradually higher up. Right now I'm circling the awning over the sanctum, but I guess I'll be circling back down again.

Thank you for the replies.

Do you remember if it was inside or outside?

DonShula

I found
Dinraal's scale
near the base, but I guess I'll have to go back down and scour the place again. I've been running in circles around going gradually higher up. Right now I'm circling the awning over the sanctum, but I guess I'll be circling back down again.

Almost positive it was inside. I've explored all of the inside but not all of the outside yet.

I have no idea how well known this is, but in the Gerudo area staying in shadows will keep you cool. :O

I just now got to the area and my temperature kept going from normal to hot constantly until I noticed that it was because I was going in and out of shadows.

Mind blown!

Mikef2000

I am appreciating just how much of a masterpiece this game is the more I play it. Yesterday I spent just about 2 hours just messing around looking for the Great Plateau Stone Talus. I kept getting distracted by tiny details and barely noticed time passing. The game is calling me to keep playing and discovering. I also love how little hand holding there is.

I do have a question. I am barely into the game after about 10 hours played. I have 3 stamina upgrades and 0 heart upgrades. All from spirit orbs from shrines. I know there are 120 Shrines in the game. That said, I see in youtube videos people with close to 30 heart containers and several stamina rings around their counter. From some rough calculations, it seems like one would need much more than 120 Shrines to upgrade Link that much. Am I missing some other way to upgrade heart and stamina?( and yes, I know that food can temporarily upgrade stats, this is not what I mean. I saw someone with 27 red hearts and 3 full stamina rings).

DonShula

I am appreciating just how much of a masterpiece this game is the more I play it. Yesterday I spent just about 2 hours just messing around looking for the Great Plateau Stone Talus. I kept getting distracted by tiny details and barely noticed time passing. The game is calling me to keep playing and discovering. I also love how little hand holding there is.

I do have a question. I am barely into the game after about 10 hours played. I have 3 stamina upgrades and 0 heart upgrades. All from spirit orbs from shrines. I know there are 120 Shrines in the game. That said, I see in youtube videos people with close to 30 heart containers and several stamina rings around their counter. From some rough calculations, it seems like one would need much more than 120 Shrines to upgrade Link that much. Am I missing some other way to upgrade heart and stamina?( and yes, I know that food can temporarily upgrade stats, this is not what I mean. I saw someone with 27 red hearts and 3 full stamina rings).

You can have 27 hearts and 3 stamina rings. That is the max for hearts if you have three rings. Keep in mind you start with three hearts and you get four hearts from defeating each blight.

I have no idea how well known this is, but in the Gerudo area staying in shadows will keep you cool. :O

I just now got to the area and my temperature kept going from normal to hot constantly until I noticed that it was because I was going in and out of shadows.

Mind blown!

Haven't been there yet, so thanks! Funny enough I was on Mt Lanayru the other night and discovered just equipping a flameblade will keep you warm. Sadly equipping an Iceblade will not keep you cool on Death Mountain. :(

EDIT: I wonder if equpping an Iceblade works in the desert.

Mikef2000

You can have 27 hearts and 3 stamina rings. That is the max for hearts if you have three rings. Keep in mind you start with three hearts and you get four hearts from defeating each blight.

Ok, Cool. This I did not know. I think I may go for a full stamina spec. I'd rather have more stamina to be more active(climb higher, run, attack) and be careful in not getting hit.

Chinbo37

Ok, Cool. This I did not know. I think I may go for a full stamina spec. I'd rather have more stamina to be more active(climb higher, run, attack) and be careful in not getting hit.

3 stamina rings is boss. It makes exploring a lot easier and you can pretty much climb everything even with jumping s lot.

DonShula

After some of the equipment upgrades, you might not even need to worry about getting hit ;)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I found
Dinraal's scale

Only one of them is outside. Can't remember which one. The other two are inside.

Mikef2000

Another quick question, which ore/precious stones are safe to sell to vendors? I have a bunch of amber, opals, rubys, diamonds,etc in my inventory. But I have not sold them because I fear that they are used to craft gear later on.

TheMoon

Another quick question, which ore/precious stones are safe to sell to vendors? I have a bunch of amber, opals, rubys, diamonds,etc in my inventory. But I have not sold them because I fear that they are used to craft gear later on.

there's no crafting. only upgrading. and you use all of them for that. :D

just sell a bunch. you'll drown in them sooner or later. sell the ambers or opals, I forgot which one is the trash-tier drop that you find the most of.

maxcriden

there's no crafting. only upgrading. and you use all of them for that. :D

just sell a bunch. you'll drown in them sooner or later. sell the ambers or opals, I forgot which one is the trash-tier drop that you find the most of.

Diamonds can be really tough to find, though. I wouldn't necessarily sell any of those if you don't have that many.

TheMoon

Ooh! Where do I do this?

A Zora in Z-Town hanging out by a bridge. I think that becomes available after doing the Beast there.

Late game Taluses (and Silver Bokos?) drop Diamonds, too. They're only really rare in the early game when you also don't really need them yet for upgrades.

maxcriden

A Zora in Z-Town hanging out by a bridge. I think that becomes available after doing the Beast there.

Late game Taluses (and Silver Bokos?) drop Diamonds, too. They're only really rare in the early game when you also don't really need them yet for upgrades.

yeah, we got them from a silver boko once or twice. Without the luminous stone solution I don't know if they can be called less than rare, though, we've encountered plenty of silver bokos and only got one once or twice... maybe we've just had bad luck, though. XD

we stopped with main story stuff (for the time being) after nearly onboarding the Zora beast and then going and completing the Goron beast... dozens of hours ago... so it's kind of funny that we happened to miss that benefit. and thank you for the info, as always.

I got a diamond from mining an ore deposit.

that's where we got most of ours, too.

jariw

Did some treasure chests hunting today. I'm well beyond the point where I need the contents of the treasure chests, but tracking them down was really fun. Suddenly, I locations on the map where I had never been before, or looked at things from a viewpoint I hadn't discovered before. I found a few more korok seeds as well.

BTW, are there any mini games that have a reward other than rupees? I have never finished the golf game, the flying-through-rings-game, or the snowboard game, for example.

200+ hours and no mentions of the Triforce anywhere, or am I just missing it like a whole lotta other things?

No mentions about it, but isn't the Triforce the
sealing power that glows from Zelda's hand
?

DonShula

Did some treasure chests hunting today. I'm well beyond the point where I need the contents of the treasure chests, but tracking them down was really fun. Suddenly, I locations on the map where I had never been before, or looked at things from a viewpoint I hadn't discovered before. I found a few more korok seeds as well.

BTW, are there any mini games that have a reward other than rupees? I have never finished the golf game, the flying-through-rings-game, or the snowboard game, for example.

No mentions about it, but isn't the Triforce the
sealing power that glows from Zelda's hand
?

Yep. Just watched that cutscene again.

DonShula

yeah, we got them from a silver boko once or twice. Without the luminous stone solution I don't know if they can be called less than rare, though, we've encountered plenty of silver bokos and only got one once or twice... maybe we've just had bad luck, though. XD

we stopped with main story stuff (for the time being) after nearly onboarding the Zora beast and then going and completing the Goron beast... dozens of hours ago... so it's kind of funny that we happened to miss that benefit. and thank you for the info, as always.

that's where we got most of ours, too.

Highest percentage of my diamonds is from quest rewards. I've banked my luminous stones for... other stuff.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'm starting the game for the second time recently. As far as the new upcoming DLC goes (the first one launching in a few days), does anyone know of the extra content -- Trials of the sword, the new armors, and Korok mask in particular -- are tied to Master Mode? Or will they appear in my older saves as well?

Haven't been there yet, so thanks! Funny enough I was on Mt Lanayru the other night and discovered just equipping a flameblade will keep you warm. Sadly equipping an Iceblade will not keep you cool on Death Mountain. :(

EDIT: I wonder if equpping an Iceblade works in the desert.

I haven't made it to the actual dessert yet, but for the hot rocky areas around it, the Iceblade does keep you cool.

It's how I'm surviving at the moment just like when I equipped my Flameblade in the Hebra region. :D

keakster

I'm starting the game for the second time recently. As far as the new upcoming DLC goes (the first one launching in a few days), does anyone know of the extra content -- Trials of the sword, the new armors, and Korok mask in particular -- are tied to Master Mode? Or will they appear in my older saves as well?

Everything will appear in your older saves. Seems like they have placed these things in chests that will spawn on the map. Trials of the Sword will also be added to your map

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
This game is an absolute masterpiece and will probably dethrone Ocarina of Time as the greatest game I've ever played.

BUT there is one area where I feel it's not up to par with the other elements... And I'm sure a lot of folks will disagree with me here: the music.

It's just not memorable aside from a few villages. I just entered Zora's Domain and I couldn't pick the track out of a lineup. Same for the overworld theme. The battle theme I can recognize but only because it plays so often and I don't even like it.

Here I want to separate the music from the overall sound design like weapons, horns, sound effects etc. Those are top notch. But the music? It's ok but simply not on par with the rest of this magnificent game.

This game is an absolute masterpiece and will probably dethrone Ocarina of Time as the greatest game I've ever played.

BUT there is one area where I feel it's not up to par with the other elements... And I'm sure a lot of folks will disagree with me here: the music.

It's just not memorable aside from a few villages. I just entered Zora's Domain and I couldn't pick the track out of a lineup. Same for the overworld theme. The battle theme I can recognize but only because it plays so often and I don't even like it.

Here I want to separate the music from the overall sound design like weapons, horns, sound effects etc. Those are top notch. But the music? It's ok but simply not on par with the rest of this magnificent game.

You might want to watch this 4-part video series about BotW's music: https://youtu.be/tl-6K3zrcr0

Not saying it's going change your mind about the music, but it might make you appreciate it a little more, and you'll end up enjoying the game even more, which would be good thing :)

jariw

Man, it sucks I can't find a Link Amiibo at all. I would rather pay the $20 for all the amiibo outfits.

I choose the opposite route. I have Link and Zelda amiibo, but I decided to not use them in my own save file. Getting the available in-game resources without external "cheats" feels better.

JJShadow

After +70 hours, I just found out that you can perform a spin attack while you're surfing on your shield.

This game will never cease to amaze me, cannot wait to finish the game and get into the "Things you don't know you could do in BOTW" thread

I've heard this a few times before and I strongly disagree. The music isn't as catchy as the music from say Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker, but I feel like it's still very good and suites the game very well.

It's more about complimenting the atmosphere rather than music that's trying to get stuck into your head.

After +70 hours, I just found out that you can perform a spin attack while you're surfing on your shield.

This game will never cease to amaze me, cannot wait to finish the game and get into the "Things you don't know you could do in BOTW" thread

:O

Top Bottom