• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Hastati

I haven't been able to figure out how to get concert tickets outside of a Lawson. It might be worth checking the Japan resident thread to see if any of them could help you.
Thank you, I've looked around and have not found a solution either. I'll check that thread.

Are Apple Pay / NFC payments common and some of the bigger stores / restaurants? I had to request a new Credit card and Im worried it may not get here before I leave. I did get a temporary card number that Im using out here in the US in the mean time that I can use at certain places. If it doesnt get here in time, can I use apple pay at these places?

What would be the closest station to Mt. Fuji? I do see in some places that Kawaguchiko Station maybe the best one taking the Chuo line but im not entirely sure. Its not that we want to hike up it or anything, we just want to get as close as we can and explore any surrounding cities that we're near.

In the Tokyo area, are airbnbs accepted as pretty good, or would it be better to try to find hotels. We're hoping for 4-5 nights, not spending over $120/night on a place to stay.

To use Apple Pay in Japan you'll need an iPhone 7/7+ bought in Japan, so you'll probably not be able to use it :p
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207150
You need a supported card from a participating issuer, an Apple ID signed into iCloud, your region set to Japan, and one of these devices:

iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus purchased in Japan (ride transit and pay in stores, apps, and on the web in Safari)

Apple Watch Series 2 purchased in Japan paired with your iPhone (ride transit and pay in stores, apps, and on the web in Safari)

And that's because Apple had to adjust to Japan, instead of Japan adjusting to Apple :p
https://www.theverge.com/2016/10/25/13401092/apple-pay-japan-suica-felica-nfc
Suica is a contactless card that is most often used on Japanese public transport; you charge it with money at a ticket machine, then tap the gates at any train station or the readers inside buses and taxis. It's based on Felica technology, an early form of NFC developed by Sony, and is also widely supported by vending machines, convenience stores, and other retailers.

you'll need an iPhone 7 or Apple Watch Series 2 bought in Japan to use it there; Apple had to create special Japan-specific models with Felica chips inside to work with existing readers.

The Lake Kawaguchiko area is pretty good for views. You'll need to be there early in the morning or late in the afternoon to get the best pics of Mt. Fuji because of clouds though.

AirBnB places can be pretty good. Depends on what you want, hotels got the room service and housekeeping while AirBnB can be more like renting an apartment :p

Sorry to ask this here, but I haven't been able to get reliable information. Is there any way to purchase concert tickets for phone-only reservations for shows in Japan while overseas? A service or something?

https://www.govoyagin.com/activitie...ket-to-your-favorite-music-concert-japan/3114
http://www.bridge.jpn.com/services/tickets
http://www.japanconcerttickets.com/services/

So my parents are gonna be stopping over Haneda airport for 2 days in December. They wanna sightsee a little bit of Tokyo but don't want to carry their luggage out of the airport. Is there an option for them to store a couple of large boxes in the airport?

Yes:
http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/en/premises/service/delivery.html#temporary

Saladinoo

About to embark on a seriously last minute trip - gonna be in Tokyo for a week seeing friends, then Nagasaki for a few days.

I went to Japan for 6 weeks last year, but only spent a couple days in Tokyo last time, and I've never been to Nagasaki - any recommendations for those two places?

I've looked at this one for my trip: http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/index.html

21 days, 5 GB, 34,800 yen

Not sure if there are cheaper options. There are some other links in the OP.

It's 3480 JPY, not 34800. :p

But yeah, that's probably the best option for 5GB.

Thanks !

I also have a question, more about hotels in Japan. There's a certain day where I have to check in to a hotel and then hop on a 3 hr train and bus ride to Mt. Fuji's 5th station to begin ascent. The hotel doesn't start check in according to hotels.com until 11. Do you think I could show up early and still check in? I want to call them but also not sure the best way to call the hotel since its in Japan.

Hotels.com also doesn't have an email for the place.

Thanks !

I also have a question, more about hotels in Japan. There's a certain day where I have to check in to a hotel and then hop on a 3 hr train and bus ride to Mt. Fuji's 5th station to begin ascent. The hotel doesn't start check in according to hotels.com until 11. Do you think I could show up early and still check in? I want to call them but also not sure the best way to call the hotel since its in Japan.

Completely depends on if the room is empty and clean when you get there. You'd need to call first. If you just want to leave your bags then they'll probably take them for you even of you can't check in, but again you should ask first.

Thanks anyone know the cheapest way to call Japan?

Btw are you sure you can't contact them through hotels.com? I usually use bookings.com and iirc every single hotel I've ever used have had a message button through their site for stuff like this, I can't imagine hotels wouldn't have it :x

Btw are you sure you can't contact them through hotels.com? I usually use bookings.com and iirc every single hotel I've ever used have had a message button through their site for stuff like this, I can't imagine hotels wouldn't have it :x

Thanks yea, It wasn't on Hotels.com but I managed to find the website on google. Suck trying to navigate the website even with google chrome translate.

Thanks !

You should just book the hotel for a day later and drop off your luggage before going to Fuji, that's what I did. I'm assuming you're staying on Fuji overnight during the ascent, right?

max_505

I'll be celebrating my birthday in Tokyo next week and I have a few questions:

1. I'm looking for a good, affordable cafe that serves small cakes (I want to eat one for my birthday). Any recommendations around the Tokyo area?

2. I plan to jog in Yoyogi park and around the Imperial Palace. Are there lockers near there where I can store my stuff in while I run? How much will it cost? And when is the best time to run if I want to run in the morning?

3. Do you guys recommend eating fugu? I've always wanted to eat one, but I heard it's expensive. Is it worth it? And is there an affordable and safe restaurant to eat it?

4. Recommended train tickets? I'll only be there for 5 days and I'll only go around the Tokyo area and Kasai Rinkai park.

1. I'm looking for a good, affordable cafe that serves small cakes (I want to eat one for my birthday). Any recommendations around the Tokyo area?

Excelsior Coffee is affordable and sells good cakes. Hoshino is better if you can find one. Coffee shops with cakes aren't that hard to find.

2. I plan to jog in Yoyogi park and around the Imperial Palace. Are there lockers near there where I can store my stuff in while I run? How much will it cost? And when is the best time to run if I want to run in the morning?

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e1654.html
Yoyogi station has lockers. Most do. They're usually about 300 yen for a few hours.

3. Do you guys recommend eating fugu? I've always wanted to eat one, but I heard it's expensive. Is it worth it? And is there an affordable and safe restaurant to eat it?

You can get farm raised fugu for a lot cheaper and without the poison but what's the point?

4. Recommended train tickets? I'll only be there for 5 days and I'll only go around the Tokyo area and Kasai Rinkai park.

It will get pretty annoying. Just get a SUICA card and keep it for your next trip. It's only a 500 yen deposit.

max_505

Excelsior Coffee is affordable and sells good cakes. Hoshino is better if you can find one. Coffee shops with cakes aren't that hard to find.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e1654.html
Yoyogi station has lockers. Most do. They're usually about 300 yen for a few hours.

You can get farm raised fugu for a lot cheaper and without the poison but what's the point?

It will get pretty annoying. Just get a SUICA card and keep it for your next trip. It's only a 500 yen deposit.

Thanks for this!

Zhadgon

So I am going to Japan this august and will be 16 days of travel, this is my schedule:

5th arriving to Tokyo at 6:15 am I will stay there

6th stay in Tokyo

7th go to Kamakura and back to Tokyo

8th go to Nikko and back to Tokyo

9th stay in Tokyo

10th travel to Takayama (stay there)

11th travel to Kyoto (stay there)

12th stay in Kyoto (is my birthday)

13th stay in Kyoto

14th go to Nara and back to Kyoto

15th stay in Kyoto

16th go to Mt. Koya (stay there)

17th go to Osaka

18th go to Himeji and back to Osaka

19th go to Tokyo

20th leave Japan at 2:25 pm

So any recomendations or tips for my travel, food to try or some particular places to visit in some of this cities?

Like the Ghibli Museum, etc.

.n_n.

dani_dc

I'd do some extra investigation, there are lots of places in Tokyo that give you discounts on your birthday.

@Homemaid let's you take a picture with all the maids.

So I am going to Japan this august and will be 16 days of travel, this is my schedule:

Hm... Any particular reason you're going to Kamakura? You're already going to Kyoto so you could skip Kamakura and spend more time in Tokyo, unless you're going to check out the beach or something.

Fritz

So I finally had the time to manage and sift through the 52 GBs of pictures I took on my trip last month.

My photography skills is still super amateurish but I had lots of fun just taking photos.
I've got the album on Flickr: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm32RrBr
It'd be nice if my album gets linked in the OP
onegai!!!

Some really really cool pics honestly. I love the colours in the one at sensoji (?) with the smoke and the umbrellas.

Might have missed it, but what camera did you use?

First time in Japan or been there before? Less than three days in Tokyo is so little, though considering you're visiting a lot of cultural cities/sites you can skip all of Taito (including Asakusa) and also places like Yoyogi Park. Imo don't waste your time visiting the palace; as the emperor actually lives there you can't really see much. Definitely check out Shibuya, Odaiba and Akihabara, and pick make a visit to either Tokyo Tower or Skytree if you like views. Other than that, it really depends on your interests.

Zhadgon

Hm... Any particular reason you're going to Kamakura? You're already going to Kyoto so you could skip Kamakura and spend more time in Tokyo, unless you're going to check out the beach or something.

I saw in a guide that it was a great place to visit, maybe I could change it for other one.

Kamakura is still nice and a different place from Kyoto!

Any particular place or restaurant, that you recommend?

First time in Japan or been there before? Less than three days in Tokyo is so little, though considering you're visiting a lot of cultural cities/sites you can skip all of Taito (including Asakusa) and also places like Yoyogi Park. Imo don't waste your time visiting the palace; as the emperor actually lives there you can't really see much. Definitely check out Shibuya, Odaiba and Akihabara, and pick make a visit to either Tokyo Tower or Skytree if you like views. Other than that, it really depends on your interests.

Excellent I will check out some of the places that you have mention, any museums or places that I need a reservation? I am writing this because I know that the tickets for Ghibli Museum are always sold out.

And thanks guys for helping me out.

.n_n.

Some really really cool pics honestly. I love the colours in the one at sensoji (?) with the smoke and the umbrellas.

Might have missed it, but what camera did you use?

I bought my Canon 600D DSLR to the trip. I felt like an exceptionally loud tourist stereotype due to the shutter+mirror noise :/

Excellent I will check out some of the places that you have mention, any museums or places that I need a reservation? I am writing this because I know that the tickets for Ghibli Museum are always sold out.

And thanks guys for helping me out.

.n_n.

As always I'd recommend going to Mori Tower Sky Deck instead of Tokyo Tower or Skytree aince it's an open air observation place so you won't get reflections or anything if you're taking pics.

Ghibli tickets are the only really hard to get thing for regular tourists. You got a chance of getting Ghibli tickets for August on July 10th at 10:00 JST.

And btw if you can't make it to the museum, there are still a bunch of Ghibli stores in Tokyo if you want to buy some goodies. Imo the best one is in Tokyo Station.

Zhadgon

As always I'd recommend going to Mori Tower Sky Deck instead of Tokyo Tower or Skytree aince it's an open air observation place so you won't get reflections or anything if you're taking pics.

Ghibli tickets are the only really hard to get thing for regular tourists. You got a chance of getting Ghibli tickets for August on July 10th at 10:00 JST.
Oh did not know about that, I will check it.

Do you know where I can get the tickets and why in july 10th? I am from Mexico.

And btw if you can't make it to the museum, there are still a bunch of Ghibli stores in Tokyo if you want to buy some goodies. Imo the best one is in Tokyo Station.
I am a big fan of One Piece and Nintendo any good places that could have any of this to visit?

.n_n.

I am a big fan of One Piece and Nintendo any good places that could have any of this to visit?

.n_n.

Plenty of One Piece stuff. There's an entire theme park in Tokyo Tower. It's mostly aimed for kids but as an OP fan it's cool to walk through. Also a OP store and two OP restaurants in Tokyo Tower. Another amazing OP restaurant in Odaiba too. One Piece stores in plenty of places, iirc Shibuya is like the best one besides Tokyo Tower. Sunshine City has a Shonen Jump theme park with some OP attraction too, though I never went in there so idk how good it is.

Idk about Nintendo, most Nintendo places are temporary pop-up stores, usually Pokémon themed. Plenty of Pokemon stores, the biggest is in Sunshine City.

Zhadgon

Or, if you're cheap (like me) the observation decks at the Shinjuku government building are free.
Well I have been saving some money so I don´t think is a problem still great to know some cheaper versions.

Plenty of One Piece stuff. There's an entire theme park in Tokyo Tower. It's mostly aimed for kids but as an OP fan it's cool to walk through. Also a OP store and two OP restaurants in Tokyo Tower. Another amazing OP restaurant in Odaiba too. One Piece stores in plenty of places, iirc Shibuya is like the best one besides Tokyo Tower. Sunshine City has a Shonen Jump theme park with some OP attraction too, though I never went in there so idk how good it is.

Idk about Nintendo, most Nintendo places are temporary pop-up stores, usually Pokémon themed. Plenty of Pokemon stores, the biggest is in Sunshine City.
Excellent probably will stop at some stores when I am visiting Tokyo Tower any Final Fantasy place to visit?

And thanks again LonelyGreyWolf.

.n_n.

Oh did not know about that, I will check it.

Do you know where I can get the tickets and why in july 10th? I am from Mexico.

That's when ticket go on sale online here:
https://l-tike.com/st1/ghibli-en/

It sells out in less than 1 hour, so you gotta be there right away to get some :p

Excellent probably will stop at some stores when I am visiting Tokyo Tower any Final Fantasy place to visit?

There's several cafés with gift shops:
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/artnia/en/
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/cafe/pc/index.php
http://www.pasela.co.jp/paselabo_shop/ff_eorzea/

Some of them requires reservations though.

Zhadgon

That's when ticket go on sale online here:
https://l-tike.com/st1/ghibli-en/

It sells out in less than 1 hour, so you gotta be there right away to get some :p

There's several cafés with gift shops:
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/artnia/en/
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/cafe/pc/index.php
http://www.pasela.co.jp/paselabo_shop/ff_eorzea/

Some of them requires reservations though.
I hope I can get the ticket.

And which you recommend from the ones that you wrote?

Thanks for your help.

.n_n.

Dartastic

Well I have been saving some money so I don´t think is a problem still great to know some cheaper versions.

And thanks again LonelyGreyWolf.

.n_n.
I'm headed to Japan in September! I'm going to DEFINITELY visit some One Piece spots! I don't how how much my girlfriend will enjoy it though... haha.

dani_dc

Any particular place or restaurant, that you recommend?
Nothing particularly, haven't been there many times.

Another amazing OP restaurant in Odaiba too.

Just a heads up, the Odaiba OP restaurant has closed :(

Found out when I tried going there a few months ago, quite disappointing.

Sunshine City has a Shonen Jump theme park with some OP attraction too, though I never went in there so idk how good it is.
It's not too great, mostly aimed at kids, even more so than the One Piece Tower.

I would recommend skipping it unless time is abundant.

I'm headed to Japan in September! I'm going to DEFINITELY visit some One Piece spots! I don't how how much my girlfriend will enjoy it though... haha.
September gives plenty of time for you girlfriend to read One Piece :)

parasight

Oh man, I'm so glad this thread got bumped, never knew we had one. I'm going to Japan in the end of August. Going Osaka (2 days) then Kyoto (1 day) then Mt. Fuji (1 day) and finally Tokyo (8 days). Hopefully that's enough time to experience it all.

So for Ghibli tickets in September, I have to buy on August 10?

Hopefully that's enough time to experience it all.

So for Ghibli tickets in September, I have to buy on August 10?

Nah. Time to plan another trip ;p

Yes, at 10:00 JST. Or if you know somebody who lives in Japan, then you could try asking them to get you tickets since Japanese tickets sell out slower.

Zhadgon

Nothing particularly, haven't been there many times.

Just a heads up, the Odaiba OP restaurant has closed :(

Found out when I tried going there a few months ago, quite disappointing.

It's not too great, mostly aimed at kids, even more so than the One Piece Tower.

I would recommend skipping it unless time is abundant.

It's a shame, other question any particular places in Kyoto where one can celebrate his birthday?

Probably Artnia if you're mostly interested in goods or Eorzea if you're into FF XIV or if you're there for the food. You need reservations for Eorzea though.

Thanks I will reserve this week for Eorzea.

High five, another OP fan.

.n_n.

Glad I'm not planning on going in 2020 ;P

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...bes-using-cruise-ships-olympic-accommodation/

Anticipating a serious accommodation shortage in the 2020 Olympics, the government is exploring using luxury cruise ships as floating hotels, government officials said Thursday.

Accommodation shortages during the Olympics and Paralympics have emerged as a major headache for both the public and private sectors, with the government aiming to boost the number of foreign visitors to 40 million by 2020.

Officials said cruise ships were used during the 2014 Games in Sochi and the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro.

An official at the Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism Ministry said Tokyo and Yokohama ports, which are capable of handling large-scale luxury cruise ships, are among top candidates for the plan.

havokex

So my friend is joining me in Japan, but only for 2 weeks instead of the 3 weeks the rest of us will be there. He's going to get a 7 day JR Pass to do all the travelling once we leave Tokyo.

Question for you guys, is it worth it for him to get the 14 day pass and use it for the first 7 days in Tokyo or just get a SUICA card and recharge it when he needs to for the 7 days in Tokyo? From what I understand we can get to most things on the Yamanote line which is covered by the JR Pass?

dani_dc

So my friend is joining me in Japan, but only for 2 weeks instead of the 3 weeks the rest of us will be there. He's going to get a 7 day JR Pass to do all the travelling once we leave Tokyo.

Question for you guys, is it worth it for him to get the 14 day pass and use it for the first 7 days in Tokyo or just get a SUICA card and recharge it when he needs to for the 7 days in Tokyo? From what I understand we can get to most things on the Yamanote line which is covered by the JR Pass?

Just get a Suica and charge it, it's extremely unlikely you'd come anywhere near close to justify the price of the JR pass while in Tokyo.

You say that every year.
I expect you to find some way to come in October when there's less tourists.

Menthuss

Hey there folks. I'm planning on going on holiday to Japan (Kyoto) for the first time in September/October to visit a friend of mine and do some sightseeing.

I figured I'd drop by in this topic and see if you guys have any useful tips.

Regarding getting around, would a JR Pass be a good purchase if I plan to mostly stay inside the Kyoto prefecture?

dani_dc

Hey there folks. I'm planning on going on holiday to Japan (Kyoto) for the first time in September/October to visit a friend of mine and do some sightseeing.

I figured I'd drop by in this topic and see if you guys have any useful tips.

Regarding getting around, would a JR Pass be a good purchase if I plan to mostly stay inside the Kyoto prefecture?

JR Pass is not worth it unless you're traveling via Shinkansen often or far-away distances.

For sightseeing look into local passes instead, such as this ones:

http://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/
http://www.keihan.co.jp/travel/en/tickets/special

It's a shame, other question any particular places in Kyoto where one can celebrate his birthday?

Unfortunately I can't say I do.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I've uploaded to imgur some photos from my recent trip:

2afgi7il.jpg

tsghzwvl.jpg

X5EbK0Fl.jpg

6fCiOaJl.jpg

HBixNhHl.jpg

lubT8Vjl.jpg

Tu8O0sBl.jpg

4RjwEcrl.jpg