• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2k18 becomes more broken as more patches get introduced

ViciousDS

Banned
This shit is becoming nuts, 2k is swimming in money via sponsors, microtransactions, and more. Each patch fixes some things and absolutely breaks even more in the process. The servers are garbage again....don't know how no one saw that coming. Pro Am (your organized pro teams basically) is broken and has been since launch (100% broken in patch 4 now, squadding up was broken till now), walk on is the only one that works.

The game shoves sponsors in your face.....we know that sports have sponsorship.....but you have no idea how bad it is in 2k18. Between mountain dew being literally EVERYWHERE, motioning of reese's puffs every cutscene (minimum of 3 times your friend constantly says he doesn't have enough puffs or wants even more) in your myCourt.

Half the time the closet or features in your MyCourt don't work.....this has been going on an off since launch as well.

Teleporting of characters in the drew league event over the weekend

Even play now modes had awkward crap like substitutions causing game slows downs, time outs even breaking things in online modes.

Chris Smoove's Glitch Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwDdODl_A_s

Agent's Comments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atPyYZSCrQA

ipodkingcarters comments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kP7_lyRXg

These guys are huge voices in the community and even Chris Smooves says if you haven't bought 2k18.....don't touch it

Then don't forget we also have this.....how broken will this game be come the "official" league

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/05/...e-17-nba-teams-participate-inaugural-season#/

-shadow-

But hey, they had to use a smaller cartridge to justify the price point!

2K is just pushing it as far as they can, I'm actually surprised at some of the scores when I see what the game does and (mostly doesn't) do right.

Yeah, I was really impressed by the Switch port but I wound up refunding it in the end because the microtransaction nonsense just got to be too ridiculous and I felt like I wasn’t progressing a bit in myCareer.

Not bothering in the future.

wmlk

Peaked seven years ago with 2K11 and conveniently Live went to shit. They haven't had to up their game since.

epmode

That first glitch video is frustrating because the guy that posted it keeps blaming the bugs on 2K's testers. There's no way in hell they missed this stuff. 2K just didn't want to delay the game/patch/whatever.

The God

2K18 is pretty much a combination of the worst fears people have for modern AAA games. Too bad it's not getting the media attention it deserves because it's a sports game.

ViciousDS

Banned
That first glitch video is frustrating because the guy that posted it keeps blaming the bugs on 2K's testers. There's no way in hell they missed this stuff. 2K just didn't want to delay the game/patch/whatever.

He does do a slight mention of them just ignoring it.....but I don't think we will ever get Chris Smoove to say they do it on purpose. He definitely is as popular as he is due to 2k (and Call of Duty to some extent) and he has got massive exposure from them. To me him making this video at all was a pretty big deal.

RS4-

With all the drama about lootboxes drawing controversy i wonder why this shit hasn’t blown up.

People constantly shit on netcode, servers, all that, but nah, it's THE best nba game so they ignore it.

And then you've got the fucking shills at OS.

ViciousDS

Banned
People constantly shit on netcode, servers, all that, but nah, it's THE best nba game so they ignore it.

this shit drives me insane, the biggest gaming sports forum and almost ALL of them defend the game

shit they defend VC too saying "if you can't afford VC get a job or go play a different mode"

bunch of wankers

They are the absolute worst.

There was someone who said, and I quote literally "It is the best sports game if you don't play myleague, myplayer, or myteam."

I just can't with most of them anymore

Whatever happened to that "statement" 2K was going to make after the SixthAxis controversy? They said that was the reasoning for asking them to take the review down.

this shit drives me insane, the biggest gaming sports forum and almost ALL of them defend the game

shit they defend VC too saying "if you can't afford VC get a job or go play a different mode"

bunch of wankers

And the "You get VC for free just by playing" crowd

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Sounds like a typical annual sports sim to me. Every 6 or 7 years I get roped into buying one, and then after a few hours am reminded of why I stayed away from them, and realize that I just wasted 50-60 bucks

Twentieth

Sounds like a typical annual sports sim to me. Every 6 or 7 years I get roped into buying one, and then after a few hours am reminded of why I stayed away from them, and realize that I just wasted 50-60 bucks

I don't think any EA Sports game is ruined by micro transactions in pretty much every mode.

That's why you wait until black friday to buy this game
It's always half off

$30 is perfect for this game since it has a shit load of micro transactions

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I bought NBA 2K once a few years ago and I learned my lesson, havent rewarded them since.

Why have you?

ViciousDS

Banned
Whatever happened to that "statement" 2K was going to make after the SixthAxis controversy? They said that was the reasoning for asking them to take the review down.

the score actually got reinstated.....it now holds still a 3/10

I bought NBA 2K once a few years ago and I learned my lesson, havent rewarded them since.

Why have you?

While 2k14 was bad VC wise and I still ended up finishing it in the hall of fame.....15, 16 and even 17 were much overall better products.

I had overall 94's by the time the new releases came out, you actually could end up with a lot of VC with endorsements handing out 6k VC bonuses 6 times in a single season. It was real cheap to get an overall 85 player....roughly 130k compared to this years 200k.

It sucked but you leveled pretty fast even not being that great overall in the beginning.

This year you start at a 60......and it takes you longer to get to 70 then it did to go from 55 to 75 last year. You could be an overall 75 less than halfway through a season.....this year you almost need an entire season it seems to hit it.

StereoVsn

You know, I actually got back into basketball games with 2K15 and really liked it. Then came 2K16 with its dumb story but that was alright. 2K17 I thought made some decent changes but archetypes were too restricting. Still the game itself was good.

2K18 I even defended a bit in the beginning but I am done with 2K at this point. Playing Live 18 version of career mode and while the game is lacking in some areas it's actually not bad.

StereoVsn

That's why you wait until black friday to buy this game
It's always half off

$30 is perfect for this game since it has a shit load of micro transactions
Unpaid $38 which is not that far off and still feel I got ripped off. It's not just plain MTs but shenanigans around it.

Gator86

No competition. I doubt anyone there gives a shit about the product from a management level. Crap it out on the lowest budget with the most microtransactions and enjoy that easy money thanks to the crippling incompetence of EA's basketball team.

m29a

Neo Member

Why have you?

I still buy it every year because it's provides a great basketball experience offline against the AI in quick play or myleague. They continue to make big strides in the gameplay department that satisfies me. And it may be because I play on PC, but I don't experience any slowdowns during substitutions or many bugs at all, and yes they provide the patches on PC, so I'm playing on the latest atm. They improved the set plays to be mores responsive, additional animations to make it feel more fluid, they got rid of the brick wall D, which was highly unrealistic because of real life blocking fouls. Shooting/layup % feels realistic too. Great dribbling system too.

That said, no doubt the VC stuff has gotten worse and I don't play online, so I can't speak on that. I'm only providing my experience for anyone who may be mislead by people chanting "it's broken!". In offline modes, it's still great. The term "broken" is probably among the most overused words on gaming forums. Everybody is just piling on acting as-if it's literal garbage.

With all the drama about lootboxes drawing controversy i wonder why this shit hasn’t blown up.

Exactly. This is so much larger than the lootboxes controversy and is still largely ignored. This game is constantly in the top 10 on the NPD charts as well so I don't understand why this is the case.

Umbooki

Oof. Haven't experienced any of those glitches, but it ain't a good look. If only Live gave consumers a reason to care. 🤔

Effnine

I got NBA Live for the first time in YEARS because I have become so fed up with 2K. I've been a die-hard 2K player for the past few years, but I just couldn't take it anymore.

If you want to actually play basketball this year, get Live, at least until 2K somehow gets their act together with 2K18.

This year you start at a 60......and it takes you longer to get to 70 then it did to go from 55 to 75 last year. You could be an overall 75 less than halfway through a season.....this year you almost need an entire season it seems to hit it.

It seems like it should of been taking a season to do that from the start.

In MLB the Show a few years ago it took me like 2.5 seasons to get to the majors and another 2.5 to reach All-Star level player.

This is a feature of Sports Sims not a defect.

Effnine

In MLB the Show a few years ago it took me like 2.5 seasons to get to the majors and another 2.5 to reach All-Star level player.

The problem is 2K bases this stuff on VC (virtual currency). They purposefully do this stuff so they can sell players
(suckers)
more VC via microtransactions. It's blatantly scummy.

Everything about this game, even the on-court 'enhancements' which have made it more 'realistic'/difficult, have felt like the product of a developer that holds complete hostility towards their customer base.

The patches have addressed none of the issues that players actually have with the games--saves are still disappearing, highly rated shots still rim out at a bewildering rate, online games are still staggeringly laggy, and VC just gets harder and harder to legitimately earn with every tweak. And these are just my issues with the on-court game. I refuse to engage with any of the MyCareer activities now. I don't even train in the gym because I want to spend as little time as possible in their stupid 'open world' which is truthfully just a garish excuse to throw more ads in your face and entice you to by more VC. The Reese's Puffs ads every time you walk into your 'crib'--which there's really no excuse to ever visit anyway--are the most 'disgusting' thing I've seen in a video game.

I think this is the first time I have ever felt like never patronizing a company again based on principle.

I have pumped $20 worth of VC directly into my MyPlayer's stats, as well as completed an entire season earning straight A+ ratings every game and always puting up a double-double. My character is still at level 81 after 50 hours of game time, most of which were cut scenes or ads. I no longer want to play this game anymore.

The VC stuff is so egregious that I thought about refunding the game on Steam the first night I played it, but all of the story cut scenes in MyCareer make it take literally 2 hours before you get to your first actual basketball game. I felt hoodwinked.

For what it's worth, every other rookie in your rookie class jumps right into the league at at least 10 points higher OVR than your character, with some of them being already at an 80.

The problem is 2K bases this stuff on VC (virtual currency). They purposefully do this stuff so they can sell players
(suckers)
more VC via microtransactions. It's blatantly scummy.

The haircuts and tattoos and stuff I've heard about is way scummy. Did they adjust that nonsense? I think I saw that.

Like how much money does it cost to get a player to an MVP level? Or can you spend $20 and still be JAG.

*I see Bubble Metropolis answered my question. That progression curve is unfair.

Been enjoying Live 18 after a straight decade of 2K. A lot less bullshit, way better loading times, better servers, no pay to win, and the actual hoops gameplay is not as polished as 2K, but nothing to sneeze at. Come on over, I say.

ViciousDS

Banned

except in MLB the show where it works.....you start in AA move to AAA and then the majors slowly bringing your character up facing players of your own or near the stats your player is at.

In NBA 2k you are touted as being the next god and are given an uber stat boosted at like a 95 overall and then when you enter the NBA you are ranked less than the worst rookie in the league.

If they wanted to do this, we should actually start our character in high school for a full season and actually work our way from there. Playing blacktop games with other teenagers and stuff along the way into college and then getting drafted into the nba

MLB The Show is a fantastic way to do MyCareer progression and it makes absolute perfect sense.

NBA Live 18 also does myplayer progression fantastically with gaining skill points and leveling up.

rolandss

I just play straight up myLeague/myGM and do season after season and never liked myPlayer mode so I'm actually enjoying 2k18. It's the first 2K I've bought since 14 and I've found it to be pretty polished.

I've never bothered with online play or customising - I guess from a casual player like me there's not a lot to complain about.

Crazyorloco

What makes NBA 2K so much better than NBA Live? Their recent entries have very different metacritic scores.

Many Critics for nba 2k18 were given 250,000 VC for their review copy. So they had an enjoyable experience playing it. It would be a whole different story I think otherwise.

The main gameplay of nba 2k18 is good though and the presentation is great. But having a crappy leveled character after playing 40 games hampers the experience. This doesn’t even feel like a grind anymore, because a grind would mean I would be getting to some level that i can enjoy. it feels like they just want you to buy VC...this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I did laugh my ass off when I got the prompt to bring the Gatorade bottle to a press conference. I said no and this dude brought it anyway

I cannot believe they ask this question EVERY TIME. As I got to the point where I was the Player of the Game every match and getting interviewed after every game, it made me angrier and angrier. I could just ignore it and let it default to yes, but nah. I aggressively hit that "No." button every time.

KazenY2J

Honestly, MyLeague and Play Now are the only modes that are great this year. MyCareer has become an absolute mess after 2K15, just wish they'd separate MyPark and MyCareer players already.

Don't get me started on those terrible unskippable cutscenes.

Chrisdk

It’s really unfortunate that Live is garbage, because they actually had an opportunity to win back some marketshare from 2K.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Being pay to win and the Switch cartridge issue both kept me well away from this game. FIFA for Switch, on the other hand, is absolutely incredible (FUT gambling aside).

If you want to play with your Pro Am team, party up first on the PSN, then all your teammates should stand in front of the Pro Am arena. You do not have to be in the same neighborhood..

Count down, 3, 2, 1 then everyone enter the arena at the same time, you will now all be in your Pro Am arena together...

That shows you how fucked up this game is, we have to do this every night just to play together on our Pro Am team...been like that since day 1...

Top Bottom