• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler & Albert Penello on the Xbox One (Interview)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bgamer90

Banned
Right here.

Summary:

*"We want to make an awesome next-gen box that will make the Xbox 360 immediately outdated."

*Xbox One Instant switching experience -- a way to modernize gaming; All games are loaded to hard drive; faster. Can play game before it's fully installed and/or do other things with the Xbox One's system features (like watch a video).

*"Loading screens will probably be up to the developer." -- But they overall want to see it reduced and/or gone.

*"(Sony's) doing things in their hardware to make it best that they can. We're doing things to our hardware to make it the best that we can. I don't believe the difference between these systems will be as significant as comparing individual components. How is it that a 400 HP Porsche can be faster than a 700 HP Corvette?" -- Overall it's balance and trade offs and it'll come down to the games.

*Putting something in/on the box = adoption. Developers ask questions involving support when you don't put the feature in/on the box.

*Kinect Features: More face recognition, more precision. Not have to worry about what controller you're holding and/or what side of the screen you're on during local multiplayer gaming sessions. Multiple users logged in at one time. Instant unique profile & saved game loading based on kinect recognition. We got to prove that (this) is worth it to the gamers.

*Some people don't fully know the features we are giving -- "Are you looking at the info we publish about our system?" Some people aren't doing that.

*If we could redo one thing, it would be giving the system's features a better translation. I think with time that people will continue to understand what we are trying to do. We want to give people a better digital experience in comparison to iOS & Steam. There's a certain point though in which you have to listen to the consumers and give them what they want. We'll see if the features we introduced pre-180 (e.g.: family sharing) will come back...

*We put the hooks in place for special digital download offers. It's up to how things go as well as what the publishers want.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I like hearing "we wanted to make it faster." It's my number on complaint with the 360, dash is slow as hell, takes forever to boot, etc.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
He's going to say that games he sees might not be different but we saw how things went with most 360 ports being better than the PS3 counterparts. You can't damage control the HW disadvantage.

Still watching.

He bastions Ryse? Eh......

Bgamer90

Banned
So, pretty cool info (if I'm understanding it right).

When different people say "start (game)", kinect can detect who they are and have their saved game load up instantly when it starts.

WinFonda

3:40 for the PS4 comparison question, but it's kinda softball since Adam either claims or feigns ignorance on tech, and the RAM is once again the only point of comparison

Joeki11a

Banned
Albert says MS Digital plan would had been better than Steam, says MS still want this DRM future
Around 9:25 in the video he goes all hyped about it

"fans got scared, whateverr but Its coming next gen, deal with it Discs are gone forevaaaa etc"

Scary excitment...

kadotsu

Banned
Don't give Sessler shit, he's said he needed more information for about six months now so talking to a sales rep is the right move.

g3232sfsdf234323421124dfd.jpg

Ushae

Banned
I like that Albert is putting himself out there, hes one of the better spokesman they have.

Definitely, he's easily a much more likeable individual than most of the MS PR team.

Wow, didn't take long for trolls to start bombing the thread. It's almost like a dayjob for these people haha.

jockstrap74

Neo Member
Albert says MS would had been better than Steam, says MS still want this DRM future
Around 9:25 in the video he goes all hyped about it

"fans got scared, whateverr but Its coming next gen, deal with it Discs are gone forevaaaa etc"

Scary excitment...

DRM will no doubt return, its their vision, MS have just managed to dupe people so far or those pre-ordering are happy with DRM

Sessler is all xbox all the time still wow

No doubt. I'm confused as to who is interviewing who here. Did Sessler bring his resumé?

Yep from day 1.

Sessler? Shilling the Xbox? Surprise, surprise.

This didn't take long at all.

Are people really this insecure over a couple of competing products?

Hopefully there isn't an interview with Sony sometimes in the near future. Some minds will implode from the confusion of being shilled by two companies.

On topic: An ok interview. Nothing really new for those who've been paying attention: DRM features, OS speeds, no real answer on tech comparison (why would there be?).

Their 'vision' would have been great if they mirrored Steam with offline ability and not required mandatory online check-in. The problem is that MS put so many checks into their system assuming everybody was a thief.

LiquidMetal14

Agreed, he talks in a normal manner and tries to avoid PR speak it seems (at least where avoidable).

I disagree mostly. He was asked loaded questions (probably pre screened). Especially him calling the Kinect "magical"There isn't more of the DRM type of blasting now though since we're essentially past that phase. Not that people forget the last few months of PR from MSFT.
But I do think he's one of their better representatives.

It's nice to talk about OS as well but stop showing it behind closed doors. Sony showed theirs live in front of a big audience. Of course they didn't get into all of it but we've seen some of the PS4 OS.

"We are going to put a Pause on that system" - said regarding the DRM. Yeah - maybe that year two potential Xbox purchase will never happen now (for me).

BTW Albert - you did a great interview, very well spoken.

Ristlager

Penello said that demos of Kinect IO is all over the air, I have yet to see any videos of it being used (outside of the clicking E3 demo). Anyone can point me to some youtube videos where it shows just how snappy it is??

LiquidMetal14

Like when he commented that the PS4 is more powerful?

Let me guess, you didn't watch the video.

Let's not twist the words. He never really admitted it when he went on his car analogy. Then he noted that there will be no difference. My first post pointed that out.

Intelligence? Maturity?

inb4 you all point and laugh at my naivete.

Maturity expectations start with your own behavior. If you want to discredit people or have a tangible discussion then it's best to leave the passive aggressive comments like your second sentence out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom