• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
my only guilty pleasure being Perfume, which I will freely admit to.

GUILTY?!

iNo6CyiKSmvq7.gif

Switters

Who are your favorite male and female singers, without limiting it to pop?

That's tough, because I don't judge male vocals as harshly as I would a woman's.
I think a lot of kids my age who turned into pop loving musicians would tell you Prince and MJ were pretty damned important to them, same goes for me.

I will tell you the male voices that haved moved me: Simply Red, Jeff Buckley, Ben Folds, Frank Sinatra, Steve Perry, Harry Connick Jr., all the dudes in Les Mis, Seal, there's so many..

Oh, I agree.

But in the last fifteen years, honestly, how many great male pop stars have we had?

Sorry, Moblin. But JT is the closest thing. Future Sex was dope as fuck, especially live.

tumblr_lheybzwi841qdx3jjo1_500.gif

Ace.

Mumei

That's tough, because I don't judge male vocals as harshly as I would a woman's.
I think a lot of kids my age who turned into pop loving musicians would tell you Prince and MJ were pretty damned important to them, same goes for me.

I will tell you the male voices that haved moved me: Simply Red, Jeff Buckley, Ben Folds, Frank Sinatra, Steve Perry, Harry Connick Jr., all the dudes in Les Mis, Seal, there's so many..

First thing of note: You have the less interesting Buckley.

Switters

The Bajan Queen being influential across the 7 seas

The only Bajan Queen I'm aware of is a shipwreck. How does a sinking ship influence a pop star of Robyn's caliber?

First thing of note: You have the less interesting Buckley.

I know, I know. I should really bone up on dad, but it's really hard to find a good period for him. He was kind of all over the place. Help?

Have you read Dream Brother?

Mumei

I know, I know. I should really bone up on dad, but it's really hard to find a good period for him. He was kind of all over the place. Help?

Have you read Dream Brother?

Check your PMs~

I'm not sure about periods with him, honestly, but I do know what songs I like.

Sai-kun

Banned
Oh, I agree.

But in the last fifteen years, honestly, how many great male pop stars have we had?

Not really a pop star, but I think Chris Martin has a great voice. (please don't post the grammys performance as a retort to this ;_; i'm still in pain from that)

Mumei

Not really a pop star, but I think Chris Martin has a great voice. (please don't post the grammys performance as a retort to this ;_; i'm still in pain from that)

Honestly not really familiar with his voice, but I do agree that there are male singers outside of pop with great voices.

Switters

Chris Martin has a great voice.

I agree in that his voice is unique/distinct in a way that separates him from other big rock acts. I adored parachutes and kind of fell off as preceding albums settled into a formula. Parachutes was honest. But that's when his charms were new to me.

Still, all their singles have been catchy.

Edit: I've really been digging on Temper Trap. It's like someone with my voice actually made it...

Majmun

No joke: I think Justin Bieber has the potential to become the next Justin Timberlake. JB has a nice voice. Could be great for soul, pop and rnb tracks.

But his current music just sucks. Boy sure has potential though.

Mumei

No joke: I think Justin Bieber has the potential to become the next Justin Timberlake. JB has a nice voice. Could be great for soul, pop and rnb tracks.

But his current music just sucks. Boy sure has potential though.

Are you sure that's not a joke?

Switters

Nope, I'm being serious. There's a pretty good singer underneath the shitty music, annoying fangirls and weird hair.

He just needs time.

While I agree his talent and showmanship can be cultivated and matured, I believe the pace he's going at and the type of personality he's exhibited (entitled and fussy) will have him burnt out and struggling to maintain relevance towards his 20's.

Mumei

Nope, I'm being serious. There's a pretty good singer underneath the shitty music, annoying fangirls and weird hair.

He just needs time.

The last time someone brought this up, I asked for examples and they provided clips where he sounded... bad.

Do you have anything demonstrating potential? I wouldn't deny that his tone might have potential, but I don't really see it for him as a vocalist.

Majmun

The last time someone brought this up, I asked for examples and they provided clips where he sounded... bad.

Do you have anything demonstrating potential? I wouldn't deny that his tone might have potential, but I don't really see it for him as a vocalist.

I really hate browsing through his shitttacular music.

Buuuutttt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGkkuRrhhEo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRXJDDlHmHo

That's so cute. The stroke faces that he makes :))))

Just a few examples I guess. The guy still has a big future. Everything can change, and improve.

And he plays guitar and piano.

Mumei

I really hate browsing through his shitttacular music.

Buuuutttt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGkkuRrhhEo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRXJDDlHmHo

That's so cute. The stroke faces that he makes :))))

Just a few examples I guess. The guy still has a big future. Everything can change, and improve.

And he plays guitar and piano.

He sounded slightly less bad when he was younger, so apparently he's just getting worse.

And obviously things can change and improve, but there's nothing there that predicts it. He has completely mediocre technique and nothing inherent about his voice that suggests that he has potential for powerful vocals. This is a 16/17 year old with a lot of potential.

Switters

Lol M. That's not fair at all. Put up someone like Clay Aiken, or that other fetus that was on american idol, not Godriah. Hell, Jesse McCartney was better than Justin at the same age.

Majmun

LOL why are you posting Mariah? Who can touch her vocals?

But talking about vocals getting worse...Mariah fits the bill.

Mumei

Lol M. That's not fair at all.

im1GnJsZE5ySA.gif

Put up someone like Clay Aiken, or that other fetus that was on american idol, not Godriah. Hell, Jesse McCartney was better than Justin at the same age.

I mostly picked that because she's one of the few singers where I A) have a lot of respect for her and B) know of a song she did in her mid-to-late teens (around the same age as Justin). Do you have a performance of Clay around the same age as Justin?

I suppose I could have posted someone like an Idol singer who shows a lot more potential, but I didn't really think of that at the time.

And speaking of Clay, though, I love this performance of Unchained Melody. Clay could never. So much body to his falsetto.

Edit: I thought of someone else I know! Bjorling! That's fair, right? Oh, and Tim Buckley at 19.

LOL why are you posting Mariah? Who can touch her vocals?

But talking about vocals getting worse...Mariah fits the bill.

Whitney!

It wasn't about saying that she was better; it's just showing an example of someone who had obvious potential at a young age.

And as for that last bit: When will Bieber?

Yeah, she's much worse than she was in the early to mid-90s, but her vocals recently are as good as they've been in the last seven or eight years, and better even at her nadir than Bieber's ever will be.

Majmun

I'm pretty sure Mariah's anus has better vocals than Justin Bieber in his prime. I could listen to Mariah's voice all day long. I might be a massive Beyonce stan, but in the end, I'd choose for Mariah.

But I see potential in Bieber. That's all. I guess we'll see...

Majmun

The quality in male pop land is pretty average imo. We need a change. And I think JB is the next big thing.

Not saying I'm a fan. His music is obnoxious. But I think there's something there if it's handled with care.

Nice to see another Bee fan in here

SRynR.gif

Switters

Yo Second, I got your Back. Her voice and music are certainly more interesting to me than Gaga's or Britney's, but I think that's just a matter of different tastes.

The only way Beiber won't flame out is if he takes a looooong break and emerges as something more like a man, but they will never let him do it and I'm not he sure he'd want to. I know I wouldn't.

Bladenic

iKWzcLfgF721S.gif

Gaga fans are always trying the most

I thought you were a Gaga fan...? I'm so confused by the people here, I swear some do 180's on who their faves are as proven by that person who showed Marius shading the fuck out of Rihanna only a few weeks ago.

Mumei

Yo Second, I got your Back. Her voice and music are certainly more interesting to me than Gaga's or Britney's, but I think that's just a matter of different tastes.

The only way Beiber won't flame out is if he takes a looooong break and emerges as something more like a man, but they will never let him do it and I'm not he sure he'd want to. I know I wouldn't.

Beyonce's voice has grown on me a lot. I don't really like her habit of using so much reverb on her mic when she sings live (compare her live vocals to live clips of her singing in studio (like this) for instance); it gives some artificial extra roundness and body to her belts that I don't think she has compared to Whitney or to a lesser extent Mariah.

I have more respect for her vocal ability than I have for her voice itself, I guess is the best way to put it.

I really enjoyed this vocal series about this person's favorite vocal performances by her. It highlights a lot of the best elements in them.

Bladenic

Apparently Ke$ha donated her own blood to be used in some sort of limited edition for her next album. Have your faves? But really, they simply could never. Waiting on pins and needles for the first single. The summer will belong to Ke$ha not Rihanna and We Found Love part deux. Praying for all your faves.

Nemesis_

Apparently Ke$ha donated her own blood to be used in some sort of limited edition for her next album. Have your faves? But really, they simply could never. Waiting on pins and needles for the first single. The summer will belong to Ke$ha not Rihanna and We Found Love part deux. Praying for all your faves.

Excellent! The first ever album that you can contract a blood borne disease from!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom