• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Games Like Project Phoenix Ruin Kickstarter For Everyone Else

Link.

Kickstarter, a polarizing crowdfunding website that has become a useful tool for aspiring game developers, should maybe reconsider its policy on helping backers of failed projects get their money back. Otherwise, games like Project Phoenix will keep hurting crowdfunding for everyone.

In 2013, a Japanese composer named Hiroaki Yura raised over $1 million for Project Phoenix, a game that he wrote “will set a new standard of excellence for the Japanese gaming industry.” It promised to be the product of Japanese and Western talent including the legendary composer Nobuo Uematsu, among other superstars. Four years later—and you probably know where this one’s headed—Project Phoenix is nowhere to be found.

In 2015, the game’s creators admitted that it was nowhere close to being finished, promising a new release date of 2018. And earlier this week, the Project Phoenix team put up a new update that says, among other things:

We expect to make our backers happy will require higher quality assets and more programmers. To this end we stopped investing the returns from our music business into art assets and instead drove them into a different smaller production, with further assistance from private investors. Should this tiny product succeed those private investors have promised to invest significant capital into Project Phoenix. In this way we have been able to expand our in-house development staff and work towards a bright future for Project Phoenix. Instead of financing salaries and running costs out of Project Phoenix we have been building a team out of the budget of this tiny project. Work has continued on Project Phoenix, but only things for which budget existed. If you have been wondering why the past few months have had lots of story updates, that is the reason why. We are very excited for this tiny project which will be announced in May. It is fun to play and we are proud of that.

Should it hit the success we are hoping for it will set our team in a position to deliver Project Phoenix anything we had hoped for. This is not a plea to support that project, please consider it but understand it is not Project Phoenix.

In other words, just like the disastrous Final Fantasy Tactics spiritual successor Unsung Story, Project Phoenix is never happening. Which is a shame. Although this campaign always seemed shady to me—too many sketchy claims and lofty promises—it’s a bummer that 15,802 backers will never get their money back.

Way back in 2012, when games like Pillars of Eternity and what was at the time called the Double Fine Adventure shattered Kickstarter records, we all thought that Kickstarter could revolutionize the video game industry. And to some extent, it has—without Kickstarter, we wouldn’t have Shovel Knight, FTL, Divinity: Original Sin, and many other successful games. But high-profile failures like this can leave a whole lot of people feeling burned, to the point where they won’t put much faith in future Kickstarter projects. Which sucks for everyone.

It sucks.

jadedm17

It's always been my understanding Kickstarter was a gamble, I'm not sure what to expect them to do : The rules have been laid out clearly.

There's always someone who's gonna ruin it for everyone else no matter what the system. (eBay, Craigslist, prepaid credit cards, trade in programs, no receipt store returns etc.)

Kickstarter is supposed to be risky.

If it was a sure bet it would be a fancy pre-order marketplace.

It's not bad that people are understanding what they are getting into.

daveo42

Banned
Project Phoenix and Soul Saga are reasons why I stopped backing most things on Kickstarter to begin with, at least in the gaming space. Video game kickstarters are so hit and miss that it's better to wait and see how everything shakes out as opposed to backing something that may languish in dev hell or just flat out not happen. Even big projects with tons of support seem suspect at this point unless they've proven themselves both outside and in Kickstarter. That't to say all gaming kickstarters are shit, but it's better to err on the side of restraint and save yourself the potential heartache of losing money to something that will never actually come.

I have yet to have a negative Kickstarter experience. Every game I've backed has at least met my expectations. Several of them have been some of my best gaming experiences (e.g., HBS Shadowrun titles).

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
If you aren't comfortable maybe not getting anything for your investment, here's a crazy idea--and bear with me here--Don't Invest.

I say this as a guy who got burned to the tune of $129 for an eInk watch that raised a million bucks and vanished from the face of the planet.

I see it both ways. On the one hand, you're investing in a project when you back a Kickstarter. Investments don't always pay off, as any investor will tell you (Hollywood is a very good example of this, as pouring tons of money into a movie doesn't guarantee results).

On the other hand, there are laws in place to make sure that money is properly recorded and filed as spent, and people aren't just fraudulently spending money. Kickstarter, I'm to understand, assumes very little liability in the actual product itself. They don't collect revenue from the game or project, just from being the host of the money collection itself. As such, Kickstarter is unlikely to amend its policies because doing so opens it up to a host of legal complications it doesn't have to deal with.

Later on, the laws may change as they catch up to the twenty-first century, but I really wish crowdfunding would get its act together. For every success story like Shovel Knight, we have a hundred awful Might No. 9's ruining what's a very positive development in the video game industry.

Atolm

Kickstarter is supposed to be risky.

If it was a sure bet it would be a fancy pre-order marketplace.

It's not bad that people are understanding what they are getting into.

It's one thing to take a certain amount of risk (look at Mighty No9) but projects like this one are just a scam.

LordKano

The only kickstarter I ever backed was Mighty n°9 and made me swear that I won't ever back a game again, no matter how good it looks.

poodaddy

Gold Member
The trick with kickstarter is to not get sucked into hyped up projects; support those with heart and soul, not advertising firms, and always examine their track records before contributing.

For every Shovel Knight, there's one of these. Maybe two.

Makes me happy that everything I've backed has at least turned out okay, and the upcoming three have provided plenty of updates and two of them even PC demos. (Shenmue, Bloodstained and Pixel Noir)

That first line is kind of interesting.

What is kickstarter supposed to do to get people's money back if it was spent?

Also, I would totally advocate for more clarity on deliverables, but that seems tough. Like, let's say you'd want to setup milestones and say if they don't hit X milestone by Y date, people get their money back, idk where you even start with arguing whether they did or didn't hit deliverables. dates are objective, but deliverables certainly aren't.

Seems like a really tough situation. i continue to believe that people who go to KS and Fig etc. that have shown trustworthiness, will continue to do well.

I backed:

Mighty no 9 - a bad game.

Project Phoenix - bullshit.

Hyper Light Drifter - fucking amazing.

Cosmic Star Heroine - I swear I will get to this after Persona, Nioh, Nier DLC... FFXII... Yakuza... eventually I will play this game.

Indivisible - Looks awesome so far.

Battle Chasers - Looks awesome so far.

I am not gonna get bent outta shape about the vaporware or the clunker, because I understood that there were no real guarantees to begin with. HLD alone was worth all the money I spent across all those games. Investment is not without risk and Kickstarter is not a storefront, so don't expect consumer protections when you kickstart something.

daveo42

Banned
This is kind of how Board Game Kickstarters work already

Board games now though have working prototypes so you can tell if a game is going to be for you or not. It also helps that a ton of them are done by actual companies that just need the capital up front to print and ship the game as opposed to needing to develop them from almost scratch.

I basically only support Kickstarter games that a) seem like they almost certainly won't be made by any other means, and b) have a really solid and realistic pitch behind them. I actually tend to be very skeptical of high-profile Kickstarters these days, or at least the ones that aren't "we are making a sequel to our previous very successful Kickstarter game," because they tend to be the ones that rely the most on the reputations of the people involved and a nebulous idea of what the game should be.

Oh, also: the more elaborate your rewards structure is, the more skeptical I become of your product.

Noks415

I read this earlier, If I'm getting this right. They stopped using the KS money for the game they promised and diverted it to another project that is being partially funded by private investors. The success of the new project will help the development of original KS game.
Fuck that.

I backed:

Cosmic Star Heroine - I swear I will get to this after Persona, Nioh, Nier DLC... FFXII... Yakuza... eventually I will play this game.

I am not gonna get bent outta shape about the vaporware or the clunker, because I understood that there were no real guarantees to begin with. HLD alone was worth all the money I spent across all those games. Investment is not without risk and Kickstarter is not a storefront, so don't expect consumer protections when you kickstart something.

You backed all those and not Bloodstained?

Please don't let me down, Iga!

sonicmj1

So they just randomly started funnelling the money into a separate project after the main one got delayed? The fuck?

This project has been a tire fire from the beginning.

As Schreier's article notes, the guy running the Kickstarter was a composer with no experience actually developing a game. He got a bunch of industry friends together, consisting almost entirely of composers and artists, to do the pitch. The team credits in the original pitch had one game designer and one unnamed programmer.

They couldn't actually secure the programmer to work on the project, perhaps because they were planning on getting people to work primarily for royalties when the game was done (or as their FAQ put it, “each of our members are professionals in their own field, they do not require a salary right now, and so, are donating their time and effort into developing Project Phoenix”) before exploding the scope of the game after the Kickstarter's success. As a result, they sunk two years into making a bunch of models and music for a game that literally didn't exist.

Here's where they were two years after getting funded:

State of the Game

100% Scenarios (Main battles and story elements for Acts 1-5)
90% Game Design (combat mechanics are designed and programmed with the exception of the threat system)
80% Overall models (all base models are done which includes characters and environment - variant models are left to do)
70% Overall animations (90% humanoid animations are done)
0% Textures
0% Script (text for the game)
0% Unreal 4 executable (sandbox used to create the game) - this is the main thing we need a programmer for
0% Level Design (“physically” building the world, placement of objects and characters, lighting, and scripting) - obviously this cannot happen until we have the executable

0% Particle Effects
5% Sound Effects
0% VO (dependent on script and casting)
0% Localization (mostly dependent on script)
?% Music - 80 minutes of unlooped music is composed (JRPGs usually have 90 minutes) - still needs to go through post production/arrangement and recording

Now, three and a half years into the project (according to this latest update), they've blown through all the money they raised on the Kickstarter ("Now of course not all of the 1.03M USD was invested on 3d models, we commissioned concept art for a full world.") and still have nothing to show for it. So, if we take them at their word, they're using other resources to try to make something smaller that will convince outside private investors to give them more cash.

I donated a dollar to this project. It would have been 250 cause I wanted the art book but out of nowhere my bank wasn't working and my card wouldn't allow spending higher than 10 dollars. It was the last day to pledge too so I was disappointed. Looks like it was a good thing that that happened!

Okay other Kickstarter project I backed was Shantae: Half-Genie Hero at 250 dollars (I again really wanted a physical artbook) and I'm completely happy on that one!

I just wish that they had reached their goal of having animated cutscenes and VO.

FiraB

Banned
Still waiting on this and cryamore, but unlike cryamore I never expect project P to ever be done.

Only kickstarter that I've regretted.

Spaghetti

As Schreier's article notes, the guy running the Kickstarter was a composer with no experience actually developing a game. He got a bunch of industry friends together, consisting almost entirely of composers and artists, to do the pitch. The team credits in the original pitch had one game designer and one unnamed programmer.

They couldn't actually secure the programmer to work on the project, perhaps because they were planning on getting people to work primarily for royalties when the game was done (or as their FAQ put it, “each of our members are professionals in their own field, they do not require a salary right now, and so, are donating their time and effort into developing Project Phoenix”) before exploding the scope of the game after the Kickstarter's success. As a result, they sunk two years into making a bunch of models and music for a game that literally didn't exist.
I'm surprised they got away with being funded if the first paragraph above was in the original pitch.

Then again, I guess before they've got funding you have to give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll hire more people...

LordKasual

Banned
We expect to make our backers happy will require higher quality assets and more programmers. To this end we stopped investing the returns from our music business into art assets and instead drove them into a different smaller production, with further assistance from private investors. Should this tiny product succeed those private investors have promised to invest significant capital into Project Phoenix. In this way we have been able to expand our in-house development staff and work towards a bright future for Project Phoenix. Instead of financing salaries and running costs out of Project Phoenix we have been building a team out of the budget of this tiny project. Work has continued on Project Phoenix, but only things for which budget existed. If you have been wondering why the past few months have had lots of story updates, that is the reason why. We are very excited for this tiny project which will be announced in May. It is fun to play and we are proud of that.

Should it hit the success we are hoping for it will set our team in a position to deliver Project Phoenix anything we had hoped for.
This is not a plea to support that project, please consider it but understand it is not Project Phoenix.

....they used their funding money for the game, to fund something else, that might maybe someday fund the game?

what the fuck?

This is a straight out theft.

Yeah, while there's never a guarantee that Kickstarter projects will come to fruition, but dumping the project and putting the remaining funds into something else is scummy as hell. If you can't complete the project, give backers back whatever you can. I feel like there needs to be a serious penalty for people who outright use the funds for other stuff, although the only thing KS can probably do is just close their account and prevent that person from making any more campaigns.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I don't think failed projects ruin Kickstarter at all. They show the realities and risks of backing things on the site. People giving money to KS projects should be aware that there is a chance of not receiving anything in return.

The guy in charge seems to be hellbent on going down with the ship, since he has persistently continued to attach his name to every single one of the least flattering updates for this project. One time he invited aggreived backers to go meet him personally to discuss the delays.

And he's still pouring his own money into this, because he thinks somehow this can still get done.

The original Kickstarter page promised that the developers would stake their professional reputations on this project, so I have to assume this guy doesn't actually understand the condition his own reputation is in at this point.

It's one thing to take a certain amount of risk (look at Mighty No9) but projects like this one are just a scam.
I'd say there's an important distinction between "failure" and "scam".
....they used their funding money for the game, to fund something else, that might maybe someday fund the game?

what the fuck?
That quote never mentions the Kickstarter money, just what they were doing with "the returns from our music business". It's possible by that time they'd already used all the KS money and just didn't have much to show for it.

I backed:

So far my kickstarter experience is allright , only 1 game ( out of 13 ) didn't materialise like i expected but it did got a release and everything look on the right course for the unreleased stuff

Project phoenix was the kind of pitch where something was missing .. it was a good pitch but i didn't get excited.. glad i didn't back it.

Wanderer5

I am so glad that Among the Sleep and Hover: Revolt of Gamers turned out well. Hopefully the same will be said to Bloodstained.

It's a risk. You could end up with a Mighty No 9, or you could end up with a Shovel Knight. Only you can decide whether you want to risk it or not, and no one should be made to feel bad about whatever choice they make. It's your money in the end.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
While I agree these kinds of projects just make it hard for the good ones, the people asking for refunds or whatever fundamentally don't understand or aren't willing to accept what Kickstarter is, which is little more than a middle-man between investors and entrepreneurs, and yes, cases Project Phoenix will happen when you engage in this type of business.

While I agree these kinds of projects just make it hard for the good ones, the people asking for refunds or whatever fundamentally don't understand or aren't willing to accept what Kickstarter is, which is little more than a middle-man between investors and entrepreneurs, and yes, cases Project Phoenix will happen when you engage in this type of business.

There's fundamentally a wish-fulfillment aspect to Kickstarter. Kickstarter needs the "they said it couldn't be done" projects to drum up the hype.

People have to believe they are literally making the impossible happen by backing, or else the site would be a lot more boring. It's just that it's supposed to be the creators' job to put out the fire when it does turn out to be literally impossible.

I don't think high-profile failures make it harder for good projects. I think it might actually be that projects have gotten more safe and conservative as a reaction to high-profile failures, and now the magic is gone.

Anno

It's a shame that these higher profile failures invariably turn off a section of people from pledging again in the future. Kickstarter has been such a boon for my gaming tastes. By the end of 2018 it could easily have produced my favorite game five years running.

soultron

Banned
I think some of the blame also falls on backers throwing money at stuff that doesn't look ready. I always say this but if a game's Kickstarter doesn't include a prototype that you can watch or play, you should not back it.

DocSeuss

Back when I could afford it, I backed a bunch of games.

I think people were pretty disappointed with Torment--I haven't been able to get to it yet--and Takedown got screwed over by the publisher, pushed out way too early--but beyond that, I've been happy with what I've backed.

SNIKT!

I've had a pretty successful track record on Kickstarter. So far I have backed Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, Friday the 13th, and (hopefully) Shenmue 3. I also backed (shudder) Ouya. But I requested my money back because of the delay in shipment. I received my money and they sent me the Ouya anyway. The only one that I backed that didn't get funded was that spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness that Silicon Knights was developing.

Top Bottom