• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

This is driving me insane. I'm a Canadian citizen living in the US temporarily. I want to keep all my purchases on my Switch:
A) Digital since I don't want to worry about losing things when moving back
B) On the same account so it's all together.

I can't seem to get this game no matter what I do. I've tried using my Canadian credit card and it never accepts the purchase. I've tried using a VPN so my connection appears to be coming from within Canada as well. I've tried my US card, it won't allow the card since it requires it be associated with a postal code instead of a zip code. I've tried purchasing a digital eshop card from pcgamesupply (this was the most recommended site from googling around) and the purchase keeps failing (I've only tried paypal, a little uncomfortable giving a site like this my CC info no matter how secure it looks).

Does anyone know
A) If US eshop cards work with a Canadian account
B) Any websites that sell digitally delivered Canadian eshop codes without some crazy markup
C) How to get Nintendo to accept one of my cards without requiring me to make a secondary account?

Having this problem too all of a sudden. I see you've done a workaround, but you could have also just changed your Nintendo Account to US. That's what I ended up doing.

Having this problem too all of a sudden. I see you've done a workaround, but you could have also just changed your Nintendo Account to US. That's what I ended up doing.

Buy a Nintendo eShop card from a local brick and mortar retail store and use that to buy the game. Any place that sells a lot of gift cards should have them, even grocery stores and pharmacies.

Skyzard

Banned
Campaign starts to get pretty hard between section 5 and 6, I was losing quite a few times last night with some of the puyo games.

dock

Is there a less complex version of Tetris as part of this? It honestly looks too complex, with the long list of preview blocks and hold shape.

My favourite iteration of Tetris remains Tetris DX, so I'm not sure whether to go in on this version.

Buy a Nintendo eShop card from a local brick and mortar retail store and use that to buy the game. Any place that sells a lot of gift cards should have them, even grocery stores and pharmacies.

Not where I live.

Only option is to either use the US eShop or buy codes from Amazon US, both of which require me to change the region of my account. It's fine.

Is there a less complex version of Tetris as part of this? It honestly looks too complex, with the long list of preview blocks and hold shape.

My favourite iteration of Tetris remains Tetris DX, so I'm not sure whether to go in on this version.

Not sure what's complex about it? It's still same old Tetris, just you get to see more blocks in advance.

Try the demo if you have a Switch.

ryanofcall

What time do games usually appear on the eShop? (It's supposed to come out on the 27th in Europe, according to the eShop) Is it worth staying up until midnight?

Best Buy has been good to me lately, shipping in boxes. They didnt this time, and shipped it in a bubble mailer. I could have dealt with the outer box being damaged since im lazy, but the inner box being wrecked means I get to go to the store tomorrow and hope for the best.

You don't happen to live in the Bay Area do you? Best Buy's Fresno shipping center has been great about packaging things with good padding and everything in boxes except for this where it came exactly like yours and packaged just like yours. I already swapped mine out at the local store though.

is 1080p confirmed? I've only played portable or tabletop.
I wonder if DF will examine this.

Who here bought it on PS4? You'd think from this thread that the game was out only on Switch. My PS4 copy is on its way from Amazon right now.

Also: when playing on Switch with a joycon is there a way to play with the buttons as a Dpad instead of the analog stick? I reckon that for this type of game I'd rather have a digital Dpad than an analog stick for moving pieces.

Got my copy yesterday from Amazon. Predictably, the box looks like someone sat on it.

Anyway, I'm enjoying all the content I couldn't read before. Soo good. Also, the keychains are nice!

zroid

Banned
When I go to pick up my MK8 pre-order I'll grab an eShop card and buy this when I get home.

I am so bad at Puyo Puyo but I won't let that stop me :p

Chorazin

I actually wouldn't have bought this game if I'd known that the option to turn off holds disappears in marathon mode. This is almost certainly the freaking Teris company's fault, I hate them. This and EasySpin/Infinity. What stupid mechanics.

I guess I'll be stuck playing NES Tetris for the rest of my damn life. I just thought it would be nice for once to actually have a version of the game that isn't restricted to 240p and an 8 bit color pallet.

Just don't use it? I don't see why an optional mechanic is making you so angry....

NimbusD

No idea when my game is gonna get here. Amazon fucked up yet another preorder so I'm in limbo until it arrives. God dammit. It'll wind up arriving after Mario kart and then just sit there won't it.

I actually wouldn't have bought this game if I'd known that the option to turn off holds disappears in marathon mode. This is almost certainly the freaking Teris company's fault, I hate them. This and EasySpin/Infinity. What stupid mechanics.

I guess I'll be stuck playing NES Tetris for the rest of my damn life. I just thought it would be nice for once to actually have a version of the game that isn't restricted to 240p and an 8 bit color pallet.
Play Sprint or Ultra instead then?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
It kind of trivializes everything? It's like saying that if a game is too easy, you could just force yourself to restart whenever your health drops below 50%.

Modern Tetris games are designed to be played head-to-head, where outplaying the opponent via garbage accumulation is the main goal.

Playing solo-Tetris for survival is arguably pointless in comparison because the modern rotation system makes it too easy to survive forever. There's a reason why Endless Marathon is buried under several menus and pushed to the background in this game. Score or time-based challenges are the only real way to get mileage out of single-player.

jonno394

Had a quick go online, first match I won quite easily, thought "maybe i'm quite good at Tetris", next match I get up against a guy whose skills seemed like a super computer. Decided to stop playing mine and just watch what he was up to, to try and learn. Tetris after tetris after tetris, all perfect.

Then I ended up playing Big Bang Mode, which i had no idea what it was, and I got creamed easily, even though I though my reaction times and moves were fast enough :/

No more online for me for a while!

Dinjoralo

I managed to do one of the most awesome things against Ex at the end of adventure mode. I set up a 6 chain in puyo right before it switched then did a tetris and a double line clear consecutively, sending enough garbage to instantly murder his ass. I don't think I'll ever do anything as awesome again.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Modern Tetris games are designed to be played head-to-head, where outplaying the opponent via garbage accumulation is the main goal.

Playing solo-Tetris for survival is arguably pointless in comparison because the modern rotation system makes it too easy to survive forever. There's a reason why Endless Marathon is buried under several menus and pushed to the background in this game. Score or time-based challenges are the only real way to get mileage out of single-player.

While true, there's also no solid reason why they couldn't throw in a GB/NES Tetris mode for those that prefer the simplicity of the old games.

That said, I have fun just vegging out in marathon mode anyway--don't care if I quit before dying. I'm not all that into PvP games in general, especially puzzle ones. But at least most of the modes here go super fast so it's still fun to pick up and play a few matches vs. the CPU or online players even if you aren't great.

nikos

Is it possible for two local players to play online on the PS4 version? I know the Switch version doesn't allow it.

Same, I even have two pairs of joy cons so it's highly unlikely and yet HD rumble in most games is just... rumble. And not even strong rumble like the Dualshock 4, just like phone vibration rumble.

Mine has lots of subtleties to it and feels great. In fact the rumble in this is one of my favorite things about this game outside of... You know, the game. Haha

During an early story scene an alarm goes off and the rumble goes up and down the joycon while also going up and down in intensity to the sounds of the alarm. I just kept it there to feel it for awhile. Each drop of a Puyo or Tertis piece gives a tight tap into your hands as well as a rumble that spreads around with each line cleared.

Anyhow interesting hearing all the different impressions of it and comparing it to my own.

Stopdoor

Is anyone playing Fusion mode at all? I don't see much talk about it here. I don't really understand it, all my matches go really slowly because it's hard to focus on how to combo.

Why does tetris have quick drop and not Puyo Puyo?

Seems like a balance mistake

You can turn it on for Puyo Puyo, and in the Party and Fusion modes it seems to be on by default. I think it's not traditionally a Puyo thing, so for plain default Puyo they leave it off for familiarity.

cand

Just call me 2 Chainz because that's the best I can do, I'm really really bad at Puyo Puyo

Let me join the club here. I watched the in game tutorial and some YouTube tips, which helped, but I'm still very bad at puyo puyo. Is fun to learn though. When I finally did a staircase once it felt very good.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Is this demo ungodly difficult to anyone else? I mean, I'm sure I've played hundreds of hours of Tetris in my life but I can't even beat the fucking computer once in like 6 tries. In fact, I'm just getting obliterated.

It's pretty fun I guess, but holy fucking shit Sega.

Dinjoralo

Why does tetris have quick drop and not Puyo Puyo?

Seems like a balance mistake

I think it's a part of Puyo's focus to be more "cerebral" than Tetris, putting the focus less on dexterity and more on reading the opponents board and setting up chains accordingly.

Speaking of speed, I think Puyo actually does get faster when you're playing Versus with Tetris. The squishing when puyos are dropped and fall during chains is toned way down.

Is this demo ungodly difficult to anyone else? I mean, I'm sure I've played hundreds of hours of Tetris in my life but I can't even beat the fucking computer once in like 6 tries. In fact, I'm just getting obliterated.

The AI depends on the character you're playing against. In general, people closer to the bottom are more aggressive.

giphy.gif

Tetris Battling is different from just normal Tetris, you have to think in terms of attacks and dealingthe garbage you get. I was good at Tetris too but the idea of setting up attacks is was foreign to me initially.

Speaking of speed, I think Puyo actually does get faster when you're playing Versus with Tetris. The squishing when puyos are dropped and fall during chains is toned way down.
yeah this was part of the balance changes introduced in the current-gen versions of the game. Other changes include a slight grace period before Tetris garbage falls on Puyo as well as nerfed Tetris damage I think

Unknown?

Who here bought it on PS4? You'd think from this thread that the game was out only on Switch. My PS4 copy is on its way from Amazon right now.

Also: when playing on Switch with a joycon is there a way to play with the buttons as a Dpad instead of the analog stick? I reckon that for this type of game I'd rather have a digital Dpad than an analog stick for moving pieces.

I bought it for PS4 but won't be here till tomorrow. I can't freaking wait!! I love Puyo Puyo.

Gaspard

My strategy for Puyo is just line 3 of a color together quickly and then throw some random colors on top, rinse and repeat until I decide to pop a middle line and then pray it does a sick chain.

Usually works without even having to think to stack the puyo, don't @ me in competitive mode tho.

MTC100

Banned
I've only seen the demo so far, does anyone know if there is also online multiplayer or is it local only? I don't think I'll dish out 40 bucks for local multiplayer...

I obliterated the CPU several times even when fighting 3 of them easily. You just have to be quick push up to let the Tetrimos fall down instantly and create lot's of 4 row combos, the CPU won't have a chance if you're fast enough.

Playing solo-Tetris for survival is arguably pointless in comparison because the modern rotation system makes it too easy to survive forever.

That may be but I still enjoy it. The plot in story mode hurts my brain, I don't want to always have to play against a computer opponent. I just want some nice time limit free relaxing Tetris fun.

Fox318

Poyo Poyo is really fun but I feel like I'm in a constant panic trying to set up chains. especially when up against a tetris player trying to get tetris as fast as possible.

My strategy for Puyo is just line 3 of a color together quickly and then throw some random colors on top, rinse and repeat until I decide to pop a middle line and then pray it does a sick chain.

Usually works without even having to think to stack the puyo, don't @ me in competitive mode tho.

I find it difficult because I can meticulously attempt a setup then trash Puyo inevitably block and kill me.

MTC100

Banned
Reading the OP will answer so many questions. :)
I see, so it has some kind of online mode. Still 40 Euro for a puzzle game... Even though it feels like one of the best Tetris iterations so far. I guess I'll wait for the price to come down a little.

I'm new to the whole switch and eshop stuff(got my switch today). As far as I understand it's possible to create a separate account for the US and even Japan? Will the games I buy in the US shop show up on my homescreen like the gamecart and stuff I got from the EU shop? Or do I have to log in into a different account to access those games?

-Because buying the US version would be rather cheap then at 27,50 Euro...

RRockman

Banned
I've only seen the demo so far, does anyone know if there is also online multiplayer or is it local only? I don't think I'll dish out 40 bucks for local multiplayer...

I obliterated the CPU several times even when fighting 3 of them easily. You just have to be quick push up to let the Tetrimos fall down instantly and create lot's of 4 row combos, the CPU won't have a chance if you're fast enough.

Both online and local. Also you guys better practice your t-spins because you're going to need it online.

I see, so it has some kind of online mode. Still 40 Euro for a puzzle game... Even though it feels like one of the best Tetris iterations so far. I guess I'll wait for the price to come down a little.

I'm new to the whole switch and eshop stuff(got my switch today). As far as I understand it's possible to create a separate account for the US and even Japan? Will the games I buy in the US shop show up on my homescreen like the gamecart and stuff I got from the EU shop? Or do I have to log in into a different account to access those games?

-Because buying the US version would be rather cheap then at 27,50 Euro...

Welcome to the fold brother! And yes the game will pop up on the same home screen even though you bought it with a different account. Switching between them is a painless as choosing which user is going to open the eshop when you open it on the home screen. I def reccomend making a US alt and a Japan alt. I myself have a jpn alt and it let me play Kaminko in English a full 2 weeks early.

Top Bottom