• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age - 2017 Spring Trailer

Exentryk

With Matsuda recently talking about the importance of worldwide releases and having their games on as many platforms, it's strange this isn't releasing on PC at the same time.

But regardless, I'll be waiting for the PC version. Love the gambit system, and never played this IZJS version, so it'll be a great new experience.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is it weird that I went from not liking this game much on release to thinking it's probably the greatest Final Fantasy every made?

Your not alone.

But i'm not one of those people. Having gone back to my PS2 copy recently. still have many of the same issues with the game overall as i did when i first played despite loving the setting and wanting to really like the game in general.

The fact that the development hell could be seen inside of the game's structure is also not so good.

I hope they have certain tweaks to this version to make it atleast tangibly better than the initial release.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I think a lot of people warmed up on it. Probably mainly a clash of expectations when it first came out.

Yeah I guess. I still didn't really know what to expect from the combat having only played the demo that came with DQVIII (but never having played FFXI). And the game didn't have the best start with Vaan. But I slowly warmed up to the combat and realized it probably has the best story told out of all the numbered FF games (should clarify: not because of the main plot but because of the way it is presented with these character and their fantastic voices).

Your not alone.

But i'm not one of those people. Having gone back to my PS2 copy recently. still have many of the same issues with the game overall as i did when i first played despite loving the setting and wanting to really like the game in general.

The fact that the development hell could be seen inside of the game's structure is also not so good.

I hope they have certain tweaks to this version to make it atleast tangibly better than the initial release.

I think it'll definitely have a few at least. We're finally going to get to play with the job system! And an improved take on it too.

Rpgmonkey

Haven't played this game in a while but it reminded me why this is my second-favorite in the series behind FFV and the last mainline FF that really resonated with me. Really excited for this re-release.

Slater

Banned
Remembering Kari voiced both Ashe and Aranea made me remember that Ashe and Noctis have a fuck ton of similarities.

Both being royal prince/princess who wants to reclaim there kingdom from the empire and avenge there father while adventuring with a snarky British man.

Also the development hell

They should really get them both in Dissidia and have them interact, so much potential

God watching that trailer reminded me there's something about this game that I absolutely love. I feel like it's the strong Star Wars vibe I get from it and its soundtrack, but I just adore everything. Setting, music, characters (aside from Vaan and Penelo), battle system, art style. Probably my most hyped game of the year.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is it just me, or is Panello barely in that trailer at all.....

Its like she doesn't exist.

She didn't really exist in the first place.

Just like Vaan.

Inuhanyou

Is it just me, or is Panello barely in that trailer at all.....

Its like she doesn't exist.

Her and Vaan were literally vaporware to begin with, as sad as it is. They could have had good character arcs of their own, but instead were barely anything. everyone was so mishandled in that game in terms of priority i felt

Squire

Banned
Remembering Kari voiced both Ashe and Aranea made me remember that Ashe and Noctis have a fuck ton of similarities.

Both being royal prince/princess who wants to reclaim there kingdom from the empire and avenge there father while adventuring with a snarky British man.

Also the development hell

They should really get them both in Dissidia and have them interact, so much potential

That's a pretty cursory comparison, I think.

Ashe is
a widow and very aggressive and vengeful in pursuit of her goal. At the risk of becoming the tyrant that put her in her current situation.

Noctis is very apathetic and kinda mopy and
needs to be made to recognize the weight of his legacy and the task he's been given.

You could favor one or the other, but they're pretty distinct takes on the same trope. Personally I find Ashe far more compelling.

Meowster

ahh I really can't wait. I've always loved this game but I have yet to ever manage to make it past Mt. Bur-Omisace. I've wanted to replay the game for the past four years but I just knew this would be happening sooner or later. Pumped.

Meowster

Her and Vaan were literally vaporware to begin with, as sad as it is. They could have had good character arcs of their own, but instead were barely anything. everyone was so mishandled in that game in terms of priority i felt
Vaan at least had something early on with Basch and his own dreams of becoming a spy pirate. Penelo was just.. there... which is a shame because I quite like the voice actress and her outfit reminds me of Selphie. I guess she was good with her scenes with Larsa but otherwise..

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I think a lot of people warmed up on it. Probably mainly a clash of expectations when it first came out.

I wonder if this is the case of every FF game released post IX.

Each FF post IX gets a lot of hate and love from what I've seen.

I don't like XII but I'd give this a try again since it changes new things. I won't love it because I don't like the pseudo-political Ivalice theme.

sensui-tomo

The only problem i had with FF12 is that i went in expecting a grand tale like FF tactics ..... Please dont do what i did folks. ( I kinda consider that the big FF title in terms of story back in the day)

Joqu

Oh. I guess this is the first time I'm actually hearing the remaster's VA audio quality. There might have been clips earlier so I guess this has been known, but that still sounds... pretty bad. People told me they were fixing it for this so I'm sort of disappointed :(

Is it weird that I went from not liking this game much on release to thinking it's probably the greatest Final Fantasy ever made?

I was also pretty lukewarm on it at release. It's a slowburner though and has become one of my favorites over the years. It'll never sit above the SNES games for me, since those games were my childhood, but it now competes with VII as my favorite PS FF.

The opposite happened with X. Loved it when I first played it, but my opinion of it has dropped significantly over time.

Can't wait to play this again since it's been a while. Almost started it on PCSX2 but stopped five hours in after seeing this release announced. Main focus will be taking in the lore and scouring the world for interesting dialog and lore entries through the bestiary. Ivalice is such a rich world steeped in history.

I played through the Zodiac version a few summers ago with the English PS2 patch and man this game totally blew me away after not getting into it initially. So excited to play through it again in HD!

Slater

Banned
That's a pretty cursory comparison, I think.

Ashe is
a widow and very aggressive and vengeful in pursuit of her goal. At the risk of becoming the tyrant that put her in her current situation.

Noctis is very apathetic and kinda mopy and
needs to be made to recognize the weight of his legacy and the task he's been given.

You could favor one or the other, but they're pretty distinct takes on the same trope. Personally I find Ashe far more compelling.

Distinct with similar base is what would make it fun, they could have a lot to talk about They can talk about there Fiancee's dying and loathing for proper royal attire

SirNinja

Damn, talk about downplaying Vaan's role in the game.

They really didn't, though. Vaan's actions in the early game get him wrapped up in the game's actual plot and conflict. Just because he's the character you play as for the first post-prologue stretch of the game (and just because his infamous Bhujerba lines have been meme'd by the internet) does not mean that he is a major player. He is the textbook example of a peripheral narrator, and the game's marketing is finally going about it accordingly.

They really didn't, though. Vaan's actions in the early game get him wrapped up in the game's actual plot and conflict. Just because he's the character you play as for the first post-prologue stretch of the game (and just because his infamous Bhujerba lines have been meme'd by the internet) does not mean that he is a major player. He is the textbook example of a peripheral narrator, and the game's marketing is finally going about it accordingly.

Yeah, the marketing is telling me two things:

1. Balthier is a popular character so let's give him more love
2. Ashe is the main character so let's make sure she remains the focal point

I guess they learned their lesson—women are marketable as leads and faking out a main character is just dumb.

Ploid 3.0

In 2006, if you would have told me I'd be anticipating the release of Final Fantasy XII in 2017 I'd wonder what the heck happened, and probably go mad thinking I'd have to wait 11 years for the game. Weird state of the Final Fantasy games after XII for me. The only one I played was XIV and that was because of a beta, and it was the online Final Fantasy after FFXI so I had to at least try it. Maybe FFXV will get interesting to me when they reveal their online thing. Who knows, maybe Final Fantasy VIIr will turn out pretty ok and I'll end up waiting about 6-11 more years to finally play the complete edition. It would probably require a remake of the first episode or something to add it to a complete package so 11 might be close to the real number, all while having no hope for a new original FF.

This game is looking good. I hope there's some surprise hunts or something. That would be neat.

suzu

Yeah yeah, we could've had Basch or someone else as the main character, but Vaan (and Penelo) are pretty inoffensive. Just some kid who gets roped into something bigger. Never understood why some people disliked him so much. lol

It is time for a leading man to shine

Balthier.png

Inuhanyou

Yeah yeah, we could've had Basch or someone else as the main character, but Vaan (and Penelo) are pretty inoffensive. Just some kid who gets roped into something bigger. Never understood why some people disliked him so much. lol

Specifically because he's a nobody designed to appeal to the check box teen hero archetype with nothing really beyond it.

Balthier would have been a fine main character along with Ashe.

One of my top 5 games all time. Cannot wait to get back into it. I dipped my toe into PC emulation awhile ago and it got me very excited to play this.

120v

man... i literally don't remember any scene from that trailer.

loved the game, can't wait to experience it again, ect. but everything besides the gameplay was so forgettable

Trago

Picking this up.

A friendly reminder that Square needs to give Hiroyuki Ito something to do. Talent literally just sitting there.

Top Bottom