• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue might be headed to XBLA/PSN

Skies of Arcadia needs to be a tweaked version of the GameCube one. Tone down the random encounters, please. It's the only flaw of the game, but it's a glaring one, especially since the title system is influenced by them.

Take the GC version, use the audio assets from the DC version (no silly MIDI music here)... I forget if one version has better textures than the other, but if so, use those instead... yeah, the opportunity to make a "definitive" version is pretty alluring.

thefro

Take the GC version, use the audio assets from the DC version (no silly MIDI music here)... I forget if one version has better textures than the other, but if so, use those instead... yeah, the opportunity to make a "definitive" version is pretty alluring.

You pretty much nailed it there. As far as I know, the GC version is the "definitive" in nearly every way sans the music.

GC version + DC audio. And put the VMU mini-game back in for a Wii U port.

RaffAO

You pretty much nailed it there. As far as I know, the GC version is the "definitive" in nearly every way sans the music.

GC version + DC audio. And put the VMU mini-game back in for a Wii U port.

I remember people mostly complaining about draw distance/fog or something.

Oemenia

Banned
The gamecube version please. And Shenmue 1, YES. I have Shenmue 2 on the Xbox, so I am content, but make a 1 & 2 combo deal already, god damn.

Shenmue 3 one day. One day.
When was the last time you watched Shenmue The Movie? The first game is great and all, better than the second as an experience but worse as a game. Hopefully if we really do get HD ports, they update it with the improved mechanics of the second game as a few other modern ones that would make them much more enjoyable.

On the other hand, its very much a matter of time before we get them (along with Sonic Adventure 2). Sega Dreamcast Collection ?

Believe...

Mxrz

Eh. The gc version of SoA was a terrible port. A few extra battles weren't worth the butchering of the sound, odd bits of censoring, removing most of the challenge and that weird clipping. - Never been crazy about seeing DC games ported. Almost like Sega is whoring them out to any system that'll pay. But then I've always been a little strange when it comes to the Dreamcast.

geebee

Banned
What's this about "MIDI music" for the GC version of Skies? As far as I know the music in the Dreamcast version was not fully-orchestrated and all synth. GC was just a downsampled version of the audio so that the game data could fit on the disc if I remember correctly.

thefro

Eh. The gc version of SoA was a terrible port. A few extra battles weren't worth the butchering of the sound, odd bits of censoring, removing most of the challenge and that weird clipping. - Never been crazy about seeing DC games ported. Almost like Sega is whoring them out to any system that'll pay. But then I've always been a little strange when it comes to the Dreamcast.

I've never heard about *any* of these things, sans the downsampling of the music, and I'm a pretty big fan of the game. The graphics were certainly improve for the GC director's cut (i.e., the characters actually have individual fingers now).

And there's way more than just a "few extra battles" in the Gamecube version.

What's this about "MIDI music" for the GC version of Skies? As far as I know the music in the Dreamcast version was not fully-orchestrated and all synth. GC was just a downsampled version of the audio so that the game data could fit on the disc if I remember correctly.
I wouldn't say it's mere downsampling. As I recall, just from comparing what I knew of Pirate Isle's music from a DC demo and Pirate Isle's music in Legends, the whole thing felt more hollow; like, the decay on notes that ceased playing was much more gradual on the DC version, and much more sudden in the GC version. Some kind of reverb, maybe? I dunno, I'm not a Music major, and it's been years since I've heard the GC version of the music, so...

The music was absolutely horrible on the GC compared to the DC version, just a mess.

Reminded me of the early 90s where you'd hear some epic music on an Amiga game, then hear the PC version with an adlib card. Then your ears would just bleed.

I recently completed Shenmue 1 and am about a 1/3 of the way through Shenmue II... Frame rate, load time improvements (NPC pop-in elimination for SII), anti-aliasing and analog control are going to go a long way improving the remakes over the DC originals.

It will be weird playing on PS3 having to input X O triangle and square instead of A B X Y (and seeing it in the lower corner of the screen all the time). Not sure if I'll be happy with that change.

Sega, plz don't use cheap looking font like a lot of HD remakes.

Persona7

Banned
The one thing I like about the gamecube version is that it has the DLC integrated into the game.

You can still get the dreamcast DLC and put it on a VMU but it requires you to burn a CD with a save manager.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I received a hint from a Sega employee/mod at Sega forum about Daytona 2 a while back. Make sense seeing as they bothered to get the Daytona license back and a 'Nascar game' can sell to a whole other audience than classic fans.
I'd do naughty things to get a home port of Daytona 2.

Slermy

I wouldn't say it's mere downsampling. As I recall, just from comparing what I knew of Pirate Isle's music from a DC demo and Pirate Isle's music in Legends, the whole thing felt more hollow; like, the decay on notes that ceased playing was much more gradual on the DC version, and much more sudden in the GC version. Some kind of reverb, maybe? I dunno, I'm not a Music major, and it's been years since I've heard the GC version of the music, so...

I always thought they were both MIDI, but the instrument samples were different, hence the disparity in sound.

I hate bumping this, but any updates yet? I guess if there was someone would bump this but you never know haha.

I own Shenmue 1 and 2 but I would kill KILL to play these in Widescreen/HD/Analog controls. Also having the games connect with each other would be fantastic...please Sega.

Also when is that Jet Set Radio HD coming out?

SGRU

Yes, please SEGA...

And PLEASE, stop bumping this thread! Every time somebody bumps this thread, Lan Di kills a puppy. :D

DonMigs85

The GCN version only had slightly worse audio because they wanted to stuff 2 GD-ROMs worth of data into a single GCN disc right?

Jubern

I hate bumping this, but any updates yet? I guess if there was someone would bump this but you never know haha.

I own Shenmue 1 and 2 but I would kill KILL to play these in Widescreen/HD/Analog controls. Also having the games connect with each other would be fantastic...please Sega.

Dude, it has already been bumped not two weeks ago :/

As per the "new news = new thread" rule, I'm pretty sure you won't need to crush people hope&dreams once actual news come out.

ArjanN

Jet Set Radio HD is out this "summer", and I'm sure they wont talk about Shenmue or Arcadia until that is out.

Just wondering if sega is shooting itself in the foot by releasing 720p versions of games at a low price on the PSN, when fans would go apeshit for a 'proper' remaster of Shenmue or Skies.... along the lines of Halo Anniversary.

I know I'd buy those in a heartbeat.

Jet Set Radio HD is out this "summer", and I'm sure they wont talk about Shenmue or Arcadia until that is out.

Summer of Arcadia

Just wondering if sega is shooting itself in the foot by releasing 720p versions of games at a low price on the PSN, when fans would go apeshit for a 'proper' remaster of Shenmue or Skies.... along the lines of Halo Anniversary.

You would, but I wouldn't. I'd struggle to justify buying Shenmue even on XBLA knowing that it's telling a story that I will never get to the end of, there's no way I'd pay $60 for it unless it comes out at the same time as Shenmue III.

Sad_Panda

Exactly. Fans. Nobody outside fans gives a shit about Shenmue, and I highly doubt there's that many in the first place. And didn't Halo Anniversary slightly bomb ?

Top Bottom