• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

ghostmind

I haven't made much progress on the batcave but here's a pick of what little I did do over the weekend, hoping to get stuck into it this week and get the other side more fleshed out before working on the rock walls above, hopefully it'll extend about the height of the middle tower again

pcdcGtn.jpg

Awesome work wetwired - especially love the sideways BURPs and the water flowing over that one rock edge.

wetwired

Dem rock walls! That looks damn good, which is not a shock.

I just realized while we don't have feet in that pic, we do get some knee action.

Complete with a little bit of blood too where my finger slipped taking a piece off and took a little chunk out of my finger

Awesome work wetwired - especially love the sideways BURPs and the water flowing over that one rock edge.

There will be a waterfall on the other side eventually, I'm just trying to block out all the "unknowns" first and detail/polish later.

Sideways burps was the only way I could think to do those outcroppings without using a million pieces, they'll be on the other side too but slightly lower

Ponn

Banned
I haven't made much progress on the batcave but here's a pick of what little I did do over the weekend, hoping to get stuck into it this week and get the other side more fleshed out before working on the rock walls above, hopefully it'll extend about the height of the middle tower again

pcdcGtn.jpg

When I become a rich person i'm going to commission you to build a room for me under my mansion.

pcdcGtn.jpg

Since when does Batman have a Lazarus pit integrated into the cave of his batcave though? (assuming that is one in the lower left corner)

Fowler

Since when does Batman have a Lazarus pit integrated into the cave of his batcave though? (assuming that is one in the lower left corner)

I'm no expert, but for what it's worth, I wondered about that earlier and found this on the Batman wiki:

Beyond him, however, Bane and Batman together also served an important role in the history of Lazarus Pits: the destruction of nearly all pits on Earth. Now while supposedly only one pit exists, there are actually four remaining. The first belongs to Ra's al Ghul's daughter Nyssa, who also discovered a way to use the pits indefinitely — whereas before a pit could only be used once. The second is located in the Batcave, created by Batman after he learned that the Pits were necessary to maintain the stability of the world, but wanting to ensure that Ra's could never use the pit to return from the dead again.

wetwired

All the vignettes I don't really intend for them to represent being in the same location, they're merely something more interesting than a flat wall to put on the side areas. Hopefully once more are complete the idea will be more obvious but if not, oh well.

Beyond him, however, Bane and Batman together also served an important role in the history of Lazarus Pits: the destruction of nearly all pits on Earth. Now while supposedly only one pit exists, there are actually four remaining. The first belongs to Ra's al Ghul's daughter Nyssa, who also discovered a way to use the pits indefinitely — whereas before a pit could only be used once. The second is located in the Batcave, created by Batman after he learned that the Pits were necessary to maintain the stability of the world, but wanting to ensure that Ra's could never use the pit to return from the dead again.

I had no idea there was an actual pit in the batcave

mrkgoo

pcdcGtn.jpg

Oh....come....ON....

(that's amazing)

mclem

Finished The Mixer!

I wasn't sure from the boxart, but seeing it in motion is pretty good. I need more space, though! It's so expansive. It helps that it collapses to something vehicle-sized, that's a nice touch, and convenient - does the Ferris Wheel have some scope to do that?

Whats with the ninjago movie sets and having great values? The water strider is 494 pieces and only $30! Killer Crocs tail gator has LESS pieces and retailed for $70. The new star wars sets seem like a bad deal in comparison too as most are 11-12 cents per piece.

Whats with the ninjago movie sets and having great values? The water strider is 494 pieces and only $30! Killer Crocs tail gator has LESS pieces and retailed for $70. The new star wars sets seem like a bad deal in comparison too as most are 11-12 cents per piece.

Only thing I can think of is Ninjago is home grown, so there's no outside licensing to pay for.

The other two you mentioned are obviously giant trademarked ideas/items.

ghostmind

I imagine LEGO pays no licensing fees, or in this case pays itself for the Ninjago license, which enables it to make sets at a reduced cost.

That, combined with a desire to see the movie and its merchandise flourish, means that they are probably willing to eat a bit more of the production cost than usual.

Ponn

Banned
Wait, I know that suspension of disbelief goes a long way with Superhero comics in general but Batman actually CREATING a Lazarus Pit? Riiiiight...

Batman created a god killing bullet. Enough prep time can do anything etc etc.

I watched Jangs Kais fire mech review , HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! That mech is huuuuge. The lack of knee joints though, man they were so close to perfect on that. I'd want to mod knee joints and hands onto it then it would be a perfect Jaeger.

scilego

Neo Member
So, just out of curiosity, do people on here have much experience transitioning little ones into Lego? Because lately, my 3 year old nephew has become OBSESSED with my Lego collection. Which somewhat awkwardly means... he really, really loves the modulars, especially the Fire Brigade, even despite being limited on touching them. (I swear, I feel like I'm treading a weird line of trying not to be Will Ferrell in the Lego Movie. But it's a necessary evil, as he's still at the age where he plays wild and rough and doesn't understand needing to be careful not to break things, so if he was let loose I'd have modulars in a billion parts on the floor in a minute... and then he'd be begging me to fix them. So yeah, for now he just messes with the minifigures and the moveable parts on the outside. And at least for now, he fortunately at least doesn't know the floors come apart, and he must never learn of that... at least until he's a bit older.)

Got him some Duplo for Christmas which he enjoys, but man, he REALLY wants the "real" stuff. And so... despite perhaps not being the best plan, went a bit over his age range, so now he has a Mater and McQueen from Cars 3 in the Junior range. (The plan is to keep an eye on him with those, thanks to the small parts). And man, seems to have worked like a charm, as he is going nuts and is super enjoying them. Now I just need him to get accustomed enough that I can somehow justify getting him the Lego City Fire Station, as that seems absolutely perfect for him, but he's just a bit of a little guy for such a thing right now...

So yeah, just curious on what other people have done with that. Think there's a game plan, but yeah... Interesting being on the other side of getting Lego for a youngster, haha.

Also, just let me say: Man, I wish Lego could at least take the same approach that they do with these Junior sets for the Expert stuff, if nothing else. So nice to have all prints with no stickers, despite there being a TON of parts that'd definitely be stickers elsewhere. (Totally glad they at least do indeed do that for these things though. Makes a lot of sense and I can see it being a godsend that these parts aren't stickers that'll peel off with use, as these are assuredly going to get a LOT of use.)

I totally get you. My little one is just a tad younger than 3 1/2 and loves my Legos. We've been building duplos since she was little and those are her daily go to for play. But when she gets a specialy treat she gets to play with my Legos which are mainly display at this point. I have to watch her like a hawk but luckily all she really likes to play with is my Parisian restaurant and the creator lambo. I've got a gallon bag of cmf dupes that I don't mind her messing with and I just make sure to pull set specific figs from her before they mixed into the surplus.
It's a bit scary for my ocd but so awesome she's embraced something that is so important in mine.

Ponn

Banned
So someone, think it was brick vault if you want to search youtube, had the Ninjago City set today and was doing a live build review. I couldn't watch it all but caught some of it.

mmmmhmmmm...yup.

Osahi

I am in Vietnam at the moment, and apart from the Lego being way to expensive here, I kinda got the Asia bug. Ninjago City was pretty much a confirmed get allready, but when I am home I am going to get Destiny's Bounty too. Hope by then some shops have it below mrsp (two of the biggest chain allready have stock aparently)

Ponn

Banned
I am in Vietnam at the moment, and apart from the Lego being way to expensive here, I kinda got the Asia bug. City was pretty much a confirmed get allready, but when I am home I am going to get Destiny's Bounty too. Hope by then some shops have it below mrsp (two of the biggest chain allready have stock aparently)

Ninjago City is a D2C set but eventually those sets seem to hit online retailers like Amazon and Walmart. If you have patience you could probably get Ninjago City with a good discount or maybe in AWD. I really want Destinys Bounty but I want to make sure I have enough for Fishing Store so I might wait and pick up Destiny during a deep holiday sale.

Osahi

Ninjago City is a D2C set but eventually those sets seem to hit online retailers like Amazon and Walmart. If you have patience you could probably get Ninjago City with a good discount or maybe in AWD. I really want Destinys Bounty but I want to make sure I have enough for Fishing Store so I might wait and pick up Destiny during a deep holiday sale.
Ninjago City will probably be a double VIP purchase. I think I'll manage DB, BB-8 and OFS in the space of a month. Still have a 30 euro gift voucher for one of the toy chains I was going to use for BB8, but will put towards DB now.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Riding a bit of a nostalgia wave, I just managed to pick up the following (boxed) for just over £50! Should tide me over 'til I grab Assembly Square on pay-day next week!

My dad rigged some LEDs into the evil Alpha Team base set when I was a kid, was so cool. Man the Rock Raiders and Alpha Team games were so good too. Had all the sets from those collections.

_Rob_

My dad rigged some LEDs into the evil Alpha Team base set when I was a kid, was so cool. Man the Rock Raiders and Alpha Team games were so good too. Had all the sets from those collections.

With all the red translucent pieces, I can imagine it looked pretty bad ass! I never played either of those games, maybe I'll have to look into them; I loved Racers, Stunt Rally and Creator.

I owned that one. Should have all the pieces in the giant Lego Box

Cool, for a small set of this age it's pretty nicely detailed. I never had it as a kid, but it was one of many sets I would fawn over in catalogues and magazines!

Ponn

Banned
That was my second most wanted Ninjago regular set after Destiny's Bounty. Hype increases.

Yea its hard for me to pass up Ninjago dragons. God damn Ninjago, its the line that just keeps creeping up on me with multiple sets every year that I want. I didn't expect to want anything from Ninjago Movie when it was first announced and now i'm at

Ninjago City
Destinys Bounty
Green Dragon Mech
Kais Fire Mech
garmdon, Garmadon, GARMADON!
and several of the CMF's.

Im definitely getting Destinys Bounty and the Green Mech Dragon, both look fantastic. Not getting the mechs though cause the lack of knee joints kills any interest for me. Every pose looks stiff and unnatural. They really should come up with a new part if they cant currently do knee joints.

I want ninjago city but $300 is a bit much... maybe one day when its on clearance

With July ending really soon wonder how long Lego is gonna take to fully reveal the star wars last Jedi sets they have to do it soon force Friday is the beginning of September lol.

Im definitely getting Destinys Bounty and the Green Mech Dragon, both look fantastic. Not getting the mechs though cause the lack of knee joints kills any interest for me. Every pose looks stiff and unnatural. They really should come up with a new part if they cant currently do knee joints.

I want ninjago city but $300 is a bit much... maybe one day when its on clearance

King's Mech is the king for a reason.

Even the bad guys get knee joints.

Woorloog

Banned
With July ending really soon wonder how long Lego is gonna take to fully reveal the star wars last Jedi sets they have to do it soon force Friday is the beginning of September lol.

They will reveal them on Force Friday probably.
Don't think that is necessarily the day they will start getting sold... or is it?

Top Bottom