• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

watershed

Banned
I hope no one forgets that this is how republicans govern. Democrats spent months preparing the ACA with public testimony from stakeholders and plenty of time for people to understand the bill. Republicans are trying to force through something that doesn't even exist.

This has to be the biggest shitshow congress no matter what happens this week.

This is also true. McConnell's ability to "change the rules at any time" assumes that he has the confidence of his caucus to do so.

ding ding ding

None have stood up to him on this. Every time he's did this it was "trust me on this one" and away it goes in smoke and ash.

Chris R

Just find it sad how any hope of bipartisanship has seemed to die with Obama's election.

Fix Gerrymandering and get the D vote out and maybe the Republican party fractures into the radical right and something "moderate"?

I hope no one forgets that this is how republicans govern. Democrats spent months preparing the ACA with public testimony from stakeholders and plenty of time for people to understand the bill. Republicans are trying to force through something that doesn't even exist.

They forgot after Nixon, they forgot after Reagan, they forgot after Bush Jr. They'll forget after Trump. When a Democratic candidate comes in, people will complain that things aren't being fixed fast enough. Trump will usher in something even more monstrous than himself eventually I'm sure and I fully expect to see a straight charismatic, evangelical dictator take over America at this rate in 10-20 years.

Kevinroc

My guess is that MTP will pass and then it's a shit show.

Expect Dems to throw out some painful amendments. Which, good.

It's gonna be a complete clusterfuck for these Senators whenever they go home, too. This vote is going to stick with them for the rest of their lives.

"Why did you vote to kill me?!"

kirblar

They forgot after Nixon, they forgot after Reagan, they forgot after Bush Jr. They'll forget after Trump. When a Democratic candidate comes in, people will complain that things aren't being fixed fast enough. Trump will usher in something even more monstrous than himself eventually I'm sure and I fully expect to see a straight charismatic, evangelical dictator take over America at this rate in 10-20 years.
Nixon and HW were fine. Reagan was the start of the problem and its only gotten worse.

Would HW even have won without Reagan's coattails? The party hadn't gone full-on Gingrich loony in 1988, but even then Reagan had awakened something ugly and vicious that only spread from there. He might've been too moderate without eight years as Saint Ronnie's VP.

Would HW even have won without Reagan's coattails? The party hadn't gone full-on Gingrich loony in 1988, but even then Reagan had awakened something ugly and vicious that only spread from there. He might've been too moderate without eight years as Saint Ronnie's VP.
HW would absolutely have beaten Carter in 80. I really am not sure who Jimmy could have gotten reelection over at that time.

It likely would have been much closer but still.

It would be interesting to see what the alternate timeline of Papa Bush in 80 and Jerry Brown in 88 or something would have looked like though

HW would absolutely have beaten Carter in 80. I really am not sure who Jimmy could have gotten reelection over at that time.

It would be interesting to see what the alternate timeline of Papa Bush in 80 and Jerry Brown in 88 or something would have looked like though

No, in '88, if he'd run without having been Reagan's VP. I hypothesize that he would've been too moderate even for a GOP that had yet to go full crazy.

Finalizer

So today:

• The war on Sessions continues
  • Tillerson might be wanting to quit
  • Price just got threatened with his job if the health care vote fails

He's just burning through his cabinet, isn't he?

what to do when your administration is severely understaffed?

cut more staff obv

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
If they succeed tomorrow, Democrats need to have some strategy/slogan/even a tentative bill ready.
"For years the Republicans warned you about death panels, what they didn't tell you was they would be running them. If they overturn Obamacare millions will lose coverage, and many people will die."

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
CNN Headline said:
Rudy Giuliani: Jeff Sessions 'made the right decision' to recuse from Russia probe

LMAO

With a smiling pic of Rudy. Sessions made the right choice.... for me!

Edit:
If I ever find myself without anything to do, I swear I will comb the post-election threads and find the Bernie fans praising her as the progressive savior.

Petty as fuck, but I'll do it.

On a scale from Tom to Trump this is a barely a Richard on the Petty scale. Maybe a Kyle.

Jesus, using a dying man to try and guilt people into voting for chaos re: 1/6 of our economy is beyond the pale, even for Republicans.

You spend 15 hours working and this is the shit you find when you come out the other side.

Ernest

Banned
Jesus. Every day, we're in new uncharted waters shit!

Trump’s attacks on Sessions, Mueller raise concerns about ‘authoritarian’ tactics

On Monday morning, the president of the United States urged his attorney general to investigate his election opponent.

It was a remarkable breach of democratic norms. It barely made news.

Donald Trump has spent so long attacking the institutions and traditions underpinning America’s political system that some of his new attacks no longer receive widespread attention. But they are increasing in frequency and gravity, renewing concerns about what scholars call democratic backsliding.

Trump’s tweeted advice Monday to Attorney General Jeff Sessions — “So why aren’t the Committees and investigators, and of course our beleaguered A.G., looking into Crooked Hillarys [sic] crimes & Russia relations?” — was only the latest part of a wide-ranging recent effort to undermine the people and entities he perceives as threats.

Sessions. Special counsel Robert Mueller. The Congressional Budget Office. The electoral system. The news media. All have been disparaged by the president over the past seven days.

Trump’s critics warn of a pressing threat to the rule of law. Matthew Miller, chief spokesman for the Department of Justice during the Obama administration, said he sees a worrisome public complacency about Trump acts that he believes are reminiscent of a “banana republic” strongman.

“The president has done so many things that crossed the red line with respect to the rule of law that people just get kind of used to it,” Miller said, invoking the tale of the frog who does not notice he is being boiled to death in gradually warming water.

“Firing the FBI director (James Comey), attacking the AG because he recused himself as he was required to do by the rules, openly speculating about prosecuting your political opponent — these are all the types of things that are dangerous warning signs,” Miller said.

Ruth Ben-Ghiat, a New York University professor who studies authoritarianism, said Trump is operating from an “authoritarian playbook.” She said she fears he will pay even less heed to democratic traditions if he faces a deeper crisis.

“It’s very alarming, because he’s escalating all of the things he’s been doing,” she said. “And what unites all these manoeuvres is his back is increasingly against the wall.”

UberTag

God tomorrow's healthcare vote is freaking me out
It should freak you out. If you think the alt-righters aren't flooding the phone lines of every senator right now informing them they'll be primaried if they don't appease their anointed God in Trump, I have some news for you.

kess

I've always wondered about the paths that the Republican party could have gone at certain junctions in history. If Ford had won against Carter, the Rockefeller strain would have sustained itself for a little while longer. Ford's defeat delegitimized the moderate wing of the party and only sped up the rightward process. Ford wouldn't have nominated Bork, but Nixon had him in his administration and nominated Rehnquist, who probably did more damage in the long run.

Ford would still have dealt with high inflation and other economic issues, but the proliferation of talk radio and the NRA going bugfuck insane wouldn't have hurt him the same way it hurt Carter.

Teggy

Well this is great

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN)The Taliban have received improved weaponry in Afghanistan that appears to have been supplied by the Russian government, according to exclusive videos obtained by CNN, adding weight to accusations by Afghan and American officials that Moscow is arming their one-time foe in the war-torn country.

US generals first suggested they were concerned the Russian government was seeking to arm the Afghan insurgents back in April, but images from the battlefield here corroborating these claims have been hard to come by.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So, tomorrow's the day the crippling of Obamacare becomes set in stone.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Is Poligaf responsible for reigning in regulars embarrassing themselves outside the thread?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
And the Trump administration is considering letting Erik Prince run the whole show in Afghanistan with private contractors. Things are going great.

So, virtually unaccountable private forces versus Russian supplied forces?

It's just one step removed from MGS4.

That sounds like a fucking mess.

Yes, surely linking an article from The Blaze will win hearts and minds.

What's wrong with it? The article seems fine in terms of having recent info that reinforced Taibbi's links from 2016 about trust/confidence in the media. Moreover, I thought this point by Taibbi had a lot of merit:

Journalists for two years now have been trapped between two nefarious forces pushing them out of their natural roles – Trump, and their own profitability model. Both evils have pushed us into this horrid WWE stage of our existence, where reporters too often have been baited into becoming half of a very profitable clown act.

Suikoguy

Why would it be?

Don't know, lol.

In many ways the community threads have generated communities of regulars to the point that I recognize most regulars when they post outside this thread.

I guess in a forum this big it's not really realistic. The poligaf reputation will be characterized by those who want to make it, regardless of the merit anyways. It's sorta come full circle since the days of ga-forum when everybody kinda knew everybody thanks to the far smaller size.

The question just occurred to me having been here 13+ years (plus however long I was at the old forum).

On a side note: I'd like to see more discussion in this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=244414749

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom